The Very First Dis Book Club Discussion Thread - The Pirate Latitudes

DisneyKevin

Kelvis
Super Moderator
We have decided to start a reading club where several of us read the same book at the same time and discuss it here on the Dis Unplugged Board.

Our first Dis Book Club selection is The Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton.

I will only ask one thing of the folks posting on this particular thread and that is that we keep this thread to the discussion topic at hand.

We have a great many "social" threads where peeps can be checked on, post counts can be increased, expensive purses can be oohed over etc....

This thread will be for the discussion of this particular book.

Should this type of thing intrigue you, but this book not be to your taste....please be patient. I'm sure there will be another selection along in the future.

Everybody read!

Downloading it right now for my mp3 (I get more listening done then reading:music:). I'm excited!

I'm buying the book today, do we have a specific date to finish the book? So we can discussed it all together ???

Looks like a good book! And I just finished my last book last night! I'll try and get out to pick up a copy today!

Just sent the reservation for the library, and I can pick it up Thursday!

History and pirates sounds like my kinda book! :thumbsup2

I'm buying the book today, do we have a specific date to finish the book? So we can discussed it all together ???

I dont have an end date in mind.

If you have an idea....I'm all for it.

I havent thought through all of the details. :)

I just came back from the library. As I was standing in front of the best sellers shelf, the librarian put this out on the shelf. It must be fate! Looking forward to starting this book today.

I dont have an end date in mind.

If you have an idea....I'm all for it.

I havent thought through all of the details. :)

Seeing as how it's March 1st and keeping in mind that some folks are going to need to wait for a bit to get it from the library would it be fair to say we wait two weeks to begin actual discussion of the book and the hopefully all will have read it by March 15th? Or should we make it a little longer?

We could call this one the March book and select one for April and those of us that have easier access could read ahead and it would give others a little more time to get their "April" copies.....

Thoughts? Discuss.......

I just read this book about 3 weeks ago. I bought it for my DH for xmas, but wound up reading it before he did :lmao: It was the first hardcover book I have read since I got my kindle :love:.

I'm in for book discussing...

Kim

Seeing as how it's March 1st and keeping in mind that some folks are going to need to wait for a bit to get it from the library would it be fair to say we wait two weeks to begin actual discussion of the book and the hopefully all will have read it by March 15th? Or should we make it a little longer?

We could call this one the March book and select one for April and those of us that have easier access could read ahead and it would give others a little more time to get their "April" copies.....

Thoughts? Discuss.......

I think it's a good idea! this is fine for me ;)
Others? Thoughts?

I'm game as long as Nikki is not handing out tests. ;)

I'm going to download the book (file) from my library tonight.

Going to download to the Kindle today. Will be nice to read a book with someone for a change ;)

I just read this book about 3 weeks ago. I bought it for my DH for xmas, but wound up reading it before he did :lmao: It was the first hardcover book I have read since I got my kindle :love:.

I'm in for book discussing...

Kim

I received this book for my birthday to 'throw' me off the fact that I was getting a Kindle and this will be my first paper book since getting my Kindle in Nov. I wonder if I remember how to work a hardcover, paper book?

Sounds fun! I'm in!

Thoughts? Discuss.......

Sounds good to me.

Let's shoot for our discssion starting on or about March 15th and at that time we can pick a book for April.

Please keep in mind that this is the beginning stages of this Club....so if we find out that we have to speed things up a bit....or more likely....slow things down a bit (we all know that the best laid plans can go wildly astray)...we can do that.

I'm hoping that this will become a sort of fluid process.

I will be announcing this on this week's podcast to let everyone know that we are getting started and offer an open invitation to join us.

Yay! I'm glad we are going with this book.

I've done a lot of book clubs in the past both on and offline. I've found the discussion to be much richer when you divide the book into sections, read them at your own pace, and then discuss. When I brought the idea up in the other thread, that's how I envisioned it. I'm game for however though.

I think asking people to read the entire book ny the 15th is way too early. Could we agree for everyone to get the book this week and then decide on what section to have read by the 15th? We can then discuss that section of the book here and people can go ahead if they are ready and have the time to do so. Then the next section could be read, etc. This is really the best way to promote fluid discussion with a reasonable timeline and while not holding those who want to continue reading back.

I dont have the book yet and would divide it up as an example. I can get it this week and do so if this is how everyone wants to move ahead. Basically we'd read let's say Ch. 1-3, discuss/read, have a deadline for the next few chapters, discuss/read, etc. Oprahs book club does it this way too. I'm also holding a professional book club for my district in May and this is how we will do it. The Harry Potter fan sites have used this method too and we found it very rewarding.

Thoughts? Does this make sense?

I miss my old book club, this is a great idea and I look forward to participating. I am downloading mine tonight. :)

I'll download this evening and get started on it tomorrow. I think Nikki's idea for dividing the book into sections sounds good. I won't be around for some of the discussion, will be at WDW from 3/11-3/20, but will pop in when I can with E-Ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter