The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again and again private companies are so much more efficient than anything our governements puts its hands on.
That may be, but there are scale issues with - and security threats to - the distribution process. The vaccine is scarce (and valuable) at the moment. While private companies can design a superior service model, they still need state and local governments to enforce it and marshal resources in a way that's secure and transparent the first time over.

I agree that once the scarcity issues are behind us, the process should switch over to the existing delivery models in place.

I got my vaccine today. It didn't even hurt going in. Within a few minutes, a huge rhino horn appeared where my nose used to be. Now I understand how Pinocchio felt. :lmao:
Congrats - and hope you recover quickly! Are they asking you to report back in 28 days?

That may be, but there are scale issues with - and security threats to - the distribution process. The vaccine is scarce (and valuable) at the moment. While private companies can design a superior service model, they still need state and local governments to enforce it and marshal resources in a way that's secure and transparent the first time over.

I agree that once the scarcity issues are behind us, the process should switch over to the existing delivery models in place.

Congrats - and hope you recover quickly! Are they asking you to report back in 28 days?
It was the Pfizer vaccine so 3 weeks. They told us any day between Jan 25-29. I chose the 29th in case I have a stronger response next time. Then I’ll have the weekend to recover. I plan to get any laundry/housework done at little each nigh that week in case I’m really down and out over the weekend.

They can only do so much. They can't make the virus magically go away. They can't make the sick suddenly better. Like they say, we're all in this together. The US is one of the wealthiest countries on earth. Even our "poor" have so much more than the poor in other countries who are truly dirt poor. I would not be surprised if whatever vaccines we have left over will be donated to poor countries.

Manufacturing and distribution is happening but getting it down to the local levels is where progress slows. For one thing, there are simply not enough health care workers to take care of the sick, take care of the well (as in preventative care) and administer the vaccines. Yesterday, I x-rayed a nurse who used to work in labor & delivery at our hospital who is now retired but she said she is looking into returning to nursing to help give the injections. Most people in healthcare feel a strong sense of duty. Many of those recently retired would be the perfect candidate for something like this. There's no heavy lifting involved, bed baths, etc. Also it's temporary. Sure it may take a year or more but eventually the need for extra help will lessen.

I sent an email to our governor today, reminding him that when we had the H1N1 pandemic my vaccine was given to me by a nursing student. IM injections are the easiest to learn and let's face it, once you do something 10,000 times, you become quite proficient at it. There's no good reason not to ask nursing students and medical students to step up for the cause. It's a win-win situation. They improve their clinical skills and the public gets the vaccine they need.

The other issue is that they need a computer system that can track everything. The government keeps a lot of records of people (IRS, births, deaths, DMV, etc.) but they don't normally keep medical records. They don't already have a system for it. Back when I got the H1N1 vaccine, our county was offering it free and since it was only 1 dose, we got the shot and was given a record of the details, basically a carbon copy with the date, lot # etc. They had no responsibility for follow up for a 2nd dose.
Now they have to make sure that people who get the first dose return for the 2nd one. Also they have to make sure that the 2nd appointment is at the proper spacing, which varies among vaccines, and that the 2nd dose is the same vaccine as the first dose. Their system will need to be able to keep records for contacting patients with reminders. I wonder if they're not also setting up some method for people to give proof of their reason for getting theirs ahead of others. Being over 60 is easy enough to prove but will they make grocery store workers show their paystub to prove where they work? What about those with asthma, heart disease or on dialysis? Will they need to prove it or will they just accept that many selfish people will lie to get it sooner?

It seems to me that despite the manufacturers talking about vaccine progress since March, the state and local governments have been completely unprepared, as if that is a "some day" thing to worry about some time down the road. Well, here it is and they're bumbling with it. Again and again private companies are so much more efficient than anything our governements puts its hands on.
I have a friend currently in nursing school and he's signed up to give the vaccine when they need him.

Did anyone else see this?

https://kvia.com/health/2021/01/06/...-death-of-doctor-who-got-coronavirus-vaccine/
Here is a statement from his wife:

The love of my life, my husband Gregory Michael MD
an Obstetrician that had his office in Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach Died the day before yesterday due to a strong reaction to the COVID vaccine.
He was a very healthy 56 year old, loved by everyone in the community delivered hundreds of healthy babies and worked tireless through the pandemic.
He was vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine at MSMC on December 18, 3 days later he saw a strong set of petechiae on his feet and hands which made him seek attention at the emergency room at MSMC. The CBC that was done at his arrival showed his platelet count to be 0 (A normal platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of blood.) he was admitted in the ICU with a diagnosis of acute ITP caused by a reaction to the COVID vaccine. A team of expert doctors tried for 2 weeks to raise his platelet count to no avail. Experts from all over the country were involved in his care. No matter what they did, the platelets count refused to go up. He was conscious and energetic through the whole process but 2 days before a last resort surgery, he got a hemorrhagic stroke caused by the lack of platelets that took his life in a matter of minutes.
He was a pro vaccine advocate that is why he got it himself.
I believe that people should be aware that side effects can happened, that it is not good for everyone and in this case destroyed a beautiful life, a perfect family, and has affected so many people in the community
Do not let his death be in vain please save more lives by making this information news.

Last edited:
Did anyone else see this?

https://kvia.com/health/2021/01/06/...-death-of-doctor-who-got-coronavirus-vaccine/
Here is a statement from his wife:

The love of my life, my husband Gregory Michael MD
an Obstetrician that had his office in Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach Died the day before yesterday due to a strong reaction to the COVID vaccine.
He was a very healthy 56 year old, loved by everyone in the community delivered hundreds of healthy babies and worked tireless through the pandemic.
He was vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine at MSMC on December 18, 3 days later he saw a strong set of petechiae on his feet and hands which made him seek attention at the emergency room at MSMC. The CBC that was done at his arrival showed his platelet count to be 0 (A normal platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microliter of blood.) he was admitted in the ICU with a diagnosis of acute ITP caused by a reaction to the COVID vaccine. A team of expert doctors tried for 2 weeks to raise his platelet count to no avail. Experts from all over the country were involved in his care. No matter what they did, the platelets count refused to go up. He was conscious and energetic through the whole process but 2 days before a last resort surgery, he got a hemorrhagic stroke caused by the lack of platelets that took his life in a matter of minutes.
He was a pro vaccine advocate that is why he got it himself.
I believe that people should be aware that side effects can happened, that it is not good for everyone and in this case destroyed a beautiful life, a perfect family, and has affected so many people in the community
Do not let his death be in vain please save more lives by making this information news.

The article states
“Pfizer and BioNTech are aware of the death of a healthcare professional sixteen days after receiving a first dose” of the vaccine, Pfizer said in a statement. “It is a highly unusual clinical case of severe thrombocytopenia, a condition that decreases the body’s ability to clot blood and stop internal bleeding,” it added.

“We are actively investigating this case, but we don’t believe at this time that there is any direct connection to the vaccine,” the company said in the statement."

Which doesn't jive with the statement you posted from his wife... hopefully they complete the investigation and put out further information.

The article states
“Pfizer and BioNTech are aware of the death of a healthcare professional sixteen days after receiving a first dose” of the vaccine, Pfizer said in a statement. “It is a highly unusual clinical case of severe thrombocytopenia, a condition that decreases the body’s ability to clot blood and stop internal bleeding,” it added.

“We are actively investigating this case, but we don’t believe at this time that there is any direct connection to the vaccine,” the company said in the statement."

Which doesn't jive with the statement you posted from his wife... hopefully they complete the investigation and put out further information.
I hope so. I don't know what might have possessed his wife to put out misinformation. Maybe she doesn't believe the article?

She probably wants something to blame, so she blames the vaccine.

So far millions of people have received it and there is no other report of something like this. While it’s not impossible to be linked to the vaccine, she would have to prove that his death was caused by the vaccine. It’s sad for sure. I am curious of the autopsy report.

So far millions of people have received it and there is no other report of something like this. While it’s not impossible to be linked to the vaccine, she would have to prove that his death was caused by the vaccine. It’s sad for sure. I am curious of the autopsy report.
Yeah. This one seems pretty rare.

Agreed. Logically, it would seem to be coincidence in timing and an undiagnosed pre-existing condition.

A bit of good news for a change:

https://www.usnews.com/news/busines...-suggests-vaccine-works-against-virus-variant
Not peer reviewed yet, the study suggests that the Pfizer vaccine should work against most of the virus mutations.

But...

The variant first discovered in South Africa has an additional mutation that has scientists on edge, one named E484K. The Pfizer study found that the vaccine appeared to work against 15 additional possible virus mutations, but E484K wasn’t among those tested. Dormitzer said it is next on the list.

I’d love to hear if the Phase 1 and 2 recipients still have immunity.
I’m feeling a little run down today (Day 5) and have a mild rash but otherwise fine. I’d rather have this than covid.

I’d love to hear if the Phase 1 and 2 recipients still have immunity.
I’m feeling a little run down today (Day 5) and have a mild rash but otherwise fine. I’d rather have this than covid.

It may be that we only hear about it if they don't... otherwise I wouldn't expect to hear a followup until six months or a year later as they're all still busy passing it out as quickly as possible.

It may be that we only hear about it if they don't... otherwise I wouldn't expect to hear a followup until six months or a year later as they're all still busy passing it out as quickly as possible.

True but the recipients could find out on their own by blood test if they have antibodies. Prob need a doctor’s note.

Quick update on my second Pfizer dose. Received Friday around 10am. Normal site soreness, no swelling. About 12 hours later, mild mid-back aches and what felt like a mild fever. Took temp, 99.1. Took 325mg Tylenol and slept ok. Next morning more of the same, but a little lethargic through the day. Temp peaked at 100.5, took one more dose of NSAID, this time 400mg Advil since muscle aches were a little worse. Plenty of water and watching 40s - 60s Disney animation and relaxing, by 30 hours post injection I was back to normal.

True but the recipients could find out on their own by blood test if they have antibodies. Prob need a doctor’s note.
Antibodies may quickly fade (6 months to a year); I’d love to see if any of these vaccines promote a B cell response that would provide a longer-term immunity.

Antibodies may quickly fade (6 months to a year); I’d love to see if any of these vaccines promote a B cell response that would provide a longer-term immunity.
I think I read somewhere that it does and that was one of the big benefits of the mRNA type. I’ll have to look again. After a while all the reading becomes a blur. I still have the itchy rash. Not hives but smaller, like chicken pox. Mostly on my torso and shoulders.
What is concerning for me is that aside from not seeing this listed as a vaccine side effect, ds20 was sent home from work Friday morning due to an outbreak at his work. He definitely had exposure to those coworkers (by medical definition of exposure). He has been quarantining in his room since then and no one else is sharing that bathroom. His boss keeps telling him to get the rapid test but that is less sensitive than the standard PCR. The next appt he could get was tomorrow. If that is negative it will satisfy his boss but not me. We are not returning our household to normal until the PCR is negative, even if I had to pay for it out of pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter