The thing they never tell you about Florida Ice

Elmo007

DIS Veteran
So I visited WDW during the coldest ever (maybe) weekend during MLK holiday. In the morning, my car window was covered in ice, I have always lived up north and use an ice scraper when that happens. Apparently if you live in the south, ice scrappers do not exist and the word credit card means ice scraper. You learn something new every day. And no Apple Pay does not work for scraping ice. :)

For some reason your story reminded me of something funny. A friend I grew up with moved to Orlando from Indianapolis in 1983. On one of our December visits many years ago, he and his family joined us at MK. As we were driving out of the parking lot around midnight, he called us to make sure our car started. It was 48 degrees, did we get a good laugh out of that!

We live in Ontario, Canada and have vendors onsite this week from Tampa. They arrived this week and couldn’t figure out what the weird plastic thing in the car was. They quickly figured it out Tues and he went for a slide with his fancy FL shoes with little tread.

Things we take for granted growing up where ice and snow are the norm in winter.

Great tip about using a cc!

I guess technically it's ice but more specifically it is called frost. It forms when the humid air hits a cold surface. I've never heard of using a credit card. I always use the defroster in my car then use my wipers.

I guess technically it's ice but more specifically it is called frost. It forms when the humid air hits a cold surface. I've never heard of using a credit card. I always use the defroster in my car then use my wipers.

correct, as someone who lives in Michigan, I know for a fact Florida does not get ice, but mainly frosty windshield lol

I was in Williamsburg, VA one weekend years ago when a major snowstorm hit. Got at least 8 inches and there was no snow removal equipment in site. They don't even have plows as this rarely happens. Went into Walmart and got a kitchen broom to use for snow removal on the car.

As a Georgian I’ve used my credit card many times 😂. Just too thick for defrost, it would take forever, so credit card to the rescue. I broke one once, before I got my super sturdy AmEx.

Sometimes the car door wouldn’t even open until I ran a card through the seam to break up the frost

West coast with a garage now so that’s a thing of the past but ahhhh memories

User tip for those in the north. I keep a small spray bottle in my car filled with 2/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 water. Spray it on frost on the windshield and it melts easily and does not refreeze! Safe for spots it happens to hit the car too as I checked before using it.

Last edited:
I hear you about the cold! That national deep-freeze hit us on our trip over Christmas and we had HIGHs in the high 30's! :cold:

One day it was actually 5 degrees warmer at home in Denver than it was at MK in Orlando! 😰

correct, as someone who lives in Michigan, I know for a fact Florida does not get ice, but mainly frosty windshield lol
I lived in Tampa Bay for 3.5 yrs & never once saw ice or even frost. My boss told me how many years earlier, it SNOWED in Tampa Bay. Well, it was supposed to snow, so people cleaned the stores out of milk, eggs, bread & beef jerky. Schools were canceled & businesses closed early. Yeah, you guessed it: the snow melted before it got anywhere near the ground.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter