The Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad

Skateboarding was a little boring, everyone kept falling. I also agree about the gymnastics and swimming commentators, they need to get some new ones.

For me, it's the fact that they all have to wear a "team uniform". There's something weird about watching skateboarding with the competitors wearing polo shirts. :rotfl2:
The Americans are basically wearing Jams. (I just massively dated myself there).

Skateboarding was a little boring, everyone kept falling. I also agree about the gymnastics and swimming commentators, they need to get some new ones.

In general there's a lot of falling in skateboarding because they're doing difficult tricks. Go to any skate park, and even the most advanced skaters are falling down quite often.

I was rather surprised that there weren't more wearing helmets and other protective gear.

In general there's a lot of falling in skateboarding because they're doing difficult tricks. Go to any skate park, and even the most advanced skaters are falling down quite often.
True but the tricks are often more IDK how to say it but I guess I was hoping for more like XGames so while I watched for a bit I did get bored. I'm not even sure fans would help lol. But since it's the first time it's in the Olympics it's going to have growing pains.

In some sports, the Olympic medals are seen as a lower honor then the top competition for each sport. The gold medal in women’s soccer is second only to the World Cup but in men’s soccer it’s third behind the World Cup and Gold Cup. The Tour de France is a higher honor then the Olympics in cycling. I think some of the skateboarding athletes care more about the X-Games then the Olympics to be honest. 🙂 :confused3

In some sports, the Olympic medals are seen as a lower honor then the top competition for each sport. The gold medal in women’s soccer is second only to the World Cup but in men’s soccer it’s third behind the World Cup and Gold Cup. The Tour de France is a higher honor then the Olympics in cycling. I think some of the skateboarding athletes care more about the X-Games then the Olympics to be honest. 🙂 :confused3
You put Gold Cup ahead of Euro? That's funny...

I’m so tired of him and Tim Dagget in the gymnastics. I wish they would both just shut up.
On the other hand, I love listening to Cynthia Potter doing the diving analysis. She is amazing. I mean, it is her job to be a expert, but she sees the tiniest things and I could listen to her all day.

Skateboarding is fricking boring. Why is it getting all of this prime time coverage?? Major snooze fest.
I remember hearing commentary from Tim Daggett in the 1996 Olympics...I can't believe they still have him doing it. They have Laurie Hernandez doing some commentary/analysis on the live streams on the Peacock app and I really like her!

I'm personally not a fan of Cynthia Potter...not sure what it is, she's just not my favorite. 🤷‍♀️

I guess the sport that is most like skateboarding is snowboarding. And they wear helmets and elbow and kneepads. Especially with what we know about concussions and long-term health, this is really surprising to me.

I was near a skate park today and saw their sign saying that everyone must wear knee/elbow pads and helmets, with a $100 fine for a first offense. Most weren’t wearing protection despite the rules.

The fact that soccer is U23 changes things quite a bit too. The cycling road race is 6 hours compared to 3 weeks for each of the three grand tours: Tour de France, Vuelta Espana and Giro D'Italia. Different skill sets too.

The fact that soccer is U23 changes things quite a bit too. The cycling road race is 6 hours compared to 3 weeks for each of the three grand tours: Tour de France, Vuelta Espana and Giro D'Italia. Different skill sets too.
Yeah, FIFA really fears competition from the IOC. Imagine if the FIFA World Cup merged with the Olympics. Then men’s soccer might be more embraced by the USA. The USWNT isn’t better then the USMNT, they just have less restrictions when it comes to this tournament. In fact, the USWNT repeatedly looses in practice matches against USMNT youth teams. :confused3

Yeah, FIFA really fears competition from the IOC. Imagine if the FIFA World Cup merged with the Olympics. Then men’s soccer might be more embraced by the USA. The USWNT isn’t better then the USMNT, they just have less restrictions when it comes to this tournament. In fact, the USWNT repeatedly looses in practice matches against USMNT youth teams. :confused3

Well yeah. It was a long time ago and just after the USWNT had won the 1999 WWC, but I worked in San Diego for a few days and one of the people I'd worked with there was a former player as University of San Diego. He said that when he was there he got to scrimmage with the USWNT and his opinion was that their level was similar to that of a good boy's high school team. However, that's kind of the way it goes in sports because of the differences in physiology. But in many ways that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like watching volleyball, but the men's game is somewhat boring compared to women's. The women's game is far more popular and in many ways I enjoy watching it better than watching men's where it seems like there are shorter rallies and most points end up with a quick kill, block, or error.

They lost to a U-15 (I think that was the age range, it was definately a boys youth team) team in Texas right before they won the World Cup in 2019.

Bicycle racing may not be all that different because there's still a tradition of single-day "classic" races such as Paris-Roubaix or Milan-San Remo. Also - stages are often considered worth fighting for, where I've seen someone's racing resume include that they're something like "3 time Tour de France stage winner". That is a little different because there are team tactics and where maybe a team helps its leader or sometimes they try to help out a rider who seems to be having a really good day to put him in contention for a stage win.

Holy COW! Simone Biles scratched out of the gymnastics team competition!

Yeah, I got up early to watch it, but not quite early enough to see the vault. It's weird though, they say it's not injury related? Things aren't looking too good.

I got up early to watch live and I am sadly only a little surprised. The amount of pressure put on her by the media is unreal and unfair, in my opinion. The commentators said this is not injury related so it would have to be a mental issue and that's probably even worse.

Suni Lee was unreal on the bars, but unless Russia has a meltdown, they will win the team title easily. As I typed that the first russian on the beam just fell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter