The Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad

And now they are saying it might be a physical issue - not sure what is happening. Just hope Simone is ok.

Yeah, it's defitintely weird what they are saying. I do hope she is okay. Russia is opening the door though, so gold is definitely still in play!

I'm so relieved that Jordan stayed on the beam - even with a not so great score. I was very nervous after her qualifying performance.

Twitter updates say it is indeed a mental issue with Simone. I'm sure the rumor mills will be nuts with speculation.

What I wouldn't give to have Jade or MyKayla on the team for the floor rotation.

I'm so relieved that Jordan stayed on the beam - even with a not so great score. I was very nervous after her qualifying performance.

Twitter updates say it is indeed a mental issue with Simone. I'm sure the rumor mills will be nuts with speculation.

What I wouldn't give to have Jade or MyKayla on the team for the floor rotation.

Yeah, they each deliver about .6-1pt more than anyone we have left, but maybe Jordan...same on vault...one should have probably been on the team, although if we'd have had to go 3 (with Simone out), their middle events might have cost us anyway...

Here's hoping ROC doesn't like staying in bounds on floor anymore than their men's team did yesterday (even though they just held on yesterday)...

Russia could have a fall and still win. We just don't have floor power without Simone.

Without Simone and Carey - they really should have given up the extra Olympic slot and put Jade on the main team...outside of a low scoring beam, Jade could elevate the team by 1pt on floor and vault, and puts up an equal bar score to Simone/Jordan...then you have Suni, Simone, and probably Jordan (since you'd have gone in knowing what she did, and can't consider what she actually did here)...

At least Suni ended it on a good note. She had a good day.

If Simone is unable to compete in the all around, will Jade be eligible to replace her?

At least Suni ended it on a good note. She had a good day.

If Simone is unable to compete in the all around, will Jade be eligible to replace her?

I'm more interested if Skinner would be able to go on vault as a potential replacement, or do they go with the #9 since those folks are considered the "official" replacements...Simone did screw up her vault today, so it's the most likely place for her to scratch because I can't imagine her doing 2 vaults...

It will definitely be interesting to see if Simone drops out of the event finals as well. That would open up spots for the other Americans who thought their Olympics were over.

I'm more interested if Skinner would be able to go on vault as a potential replacement, or do they go with the #9 since those folks are considered the "official" replacements...Simone did screw up her vault today, so it's the most likely place for her to scratch because I can't imagine her doing 2 vaults...

It's individual not team, so I assume that next on the list is the first replace (for overall that would be Aline Friess of France).

Jade would go in to replace her in the AA.

Skinner would replace her on vault.

No American can replace her on floor or bars because they did not score high enough in prelims to be reserves for those events.

There is a 2 per country rule for AA and event finals. Jade and Skinner were bumped from event finals due to the 2 per person rule. If Simone withdraws, they can compete as they are now the 2nd person for the US on those events and they qualified in prelims.

Japan just beat the USA in softball 2-0 to win gold. We had a chance to take the lead in the 6th but they hit into an inning ending double play with runners on 1st and 2nd

Jade would go in to replace her in the AA.

Skinner would replace her on vault.

No American can replace her on floor or bars because they did not score high enough in prelims to be reserves for those events.

There is a 2 per country rule for AA and event finals. Jade and Skinner were bumped from event finals due to the 2 per person rule. If Simone withdraws, they can compete as they are now the 2nd person for the US on those events and they qualified in prelims.

Yes, that totally makes sense. I was just coming to edit my post to say "...unless there was an American that got bumped because there were already two Americans in the final".

The live feed on Peacock said Simone withdrew due to a “mental issue.”

I feel terrible for her. She’s been carrying team USA for 5 years and has had so much pressure out on her. I’ve seen people on Twitter compare the pressure she’s been under to what Michael Phelps experienced, but to me there’s a big difference: Simone is still in active conflict with USA Gymnastics due to their horrific handling (or lack thereof) of the Larry Nassar sex abuse scandal, and this is part of the reason why she pushed forward to compete in these Olympics ("If there weren't a remaining survivor in the sport they would've just brushed it to the side," Biles said - also discussed in an interview NBC aired on Sunday evening). To me, that adds a whole other layer to this entire thing.

Very impressed with how the other 3 ladies stepped up under insane circumstances.

If it's injury, I wonder if it's something she's been trying to nurse for a while and it finally blew up on her. She wasn't herself at trials, and definitely not in qualifying. Lots of out of bounds, hops on landings, etc. Until today I thought it was a case of, "Why take the Ferrari out of the garage if the station wagon will do," (as in, she could win without really pressing hard, so take it easy until she really had to work to win) but now I wonder if she wasn't nursing something all along.

At Olympic Trials, they discussed that Simone had been nursing an achilles tendon issue for a few months (this was the issue at Trials), but I'm not sure if it was chronic (ala it just brings pain til you rest it) or more serious (it's ripped and can be ripped further with continual use)...

So, it's a known issue, but changing the vault midair seems like it was not the only issue...you can really get hurt if you're indecisive in gymnastics, and that may have ultimately been why she got pulled - you can't doubt you can do your routines b/c that's where things go really wrong...if the pain is so much you don't want to land on it, so you literally change midair, you can't go on routines that require more than single skills to get through them...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter