• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Summer Games of the XXXII Olympiad

Simone confirmed on the Today Show that it is indeed a mental issue, NOT physical.

From the local news site (I hate when these newscasters make themselves part of the story):

The evening took a bizarre turn before the third rotation when Today Show co-host Hoda Kotb, dressed in a red, white and blue Ralph Lauren outfit similar to Team USA gear, tried to lead the few spectators in attendance in cheers for Biles. Kotb, standing on an NBC live shot platform just above the balance beam area shouted “I love you Simone.”

On a completely superficial note, I can't decide if I like those team USA leotards. They look like something any team that is red, white, and blue would wear. I can't explain why, but I thought they looked like something I would see for France or Cuba. There was nothing that made them distinctly USA like their qualifying leotards that had all of the stars on them.

In other sports, I loved watching the men's 10 meter sync diving. All of the teams were so amazing to watch and I am thrilled for Tom Daly!

In other sports, I loved watching the men's 10 meter sync diving. All of the teams were so amazing to watch and I am thrilled for Tom Daly!

Tom Daly was great. Beating the Chinese at diving is HARD! The Chinese team was very good too, but Tom and Matty just crushed it.

Japan leads the gold medal standings while the USA leads overall medal totals. I wish NBC would show the true medal standings (gold medals) since that is how the IOC list the countries’s rank and how the rest of the world does the standings. 🙁

I know they were expected to win gold and all, but I get frustrated with all the news outlets talking only about the women's gymnastics team and how they "failed". They won a silver medal at the Olympics. How many people can say that?

Same goes for Katie Ledecky - she lost the 400 free to the girls from Australia who was the best in the world all year, but it's considered a failure for her. Gee, no wonder why all these elite athletes experience mental issues?

I know they were expected to win gold and all, but I get frustrated with all the news outlets talking only about the women's gymnastics team and how they "failed". They won a silver medal at the Olympics. How many people can say that?

Same goes for Katie Ledecky - she lost the 400 free to the girls from Australia who was the best in the world all year, but it's considered a failure for her. Gee, no wonder why all these elite athletes experience mental issues?

Yeah, it's ridiculous. The Olympics are about the sport and sometimes that means losing. Kaite was gracious in defeat, and - ETA Lilly King - was happy for her competitors and her teammate Jacoby who just came out of nowhere! It's amazing what they do, and sure, I'm usually rooting for Team USA, but I can appreciate when others win as well. I love that Japan is doing so well on their home turf - that's great!

Last edited:

This right here.

Suni, Jordan, and Grace should be SO PROUD of what they did. They had a mountain to climb. They had lost a teammate and had to overcome her low vault score. Some of them were doing routines they didn’t know they’d have to perform. They WON the silver. They didn’t lose the gold.

Winning any medal at the Olympics is way better than 99.99999% of the population could ever do.

I hope Simone takes care of herself in whatever manner she needs in order to feel better.

I agree with you. The US Gymnastics team has pretty much been promoted as "Simone Biles (the GOAT) and some other people." The fact that the "other people" were able to snag silver at the Olympics without Simone is pretty amazing. Especially since I believe at least one team member did not expect to perform on each apparatus when they arrived at the arena that day.

Yes... and the same with the other former Olympic champions. It's amazing to get to the Olympics, even more amazing to medal, and to get the gold more than once is a crazy accomplishment, not a failure if you don't do it.

Last edited:

It's kind of weird when there are such high expectations. This is really high pressure given that it's every four years, and this case five.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. The Olympics are about the sport and sometimes that means losing. Kaite was gracious in defeat, and was happy for her competitors and her teammate Jacoby who jsut came out of nowhere! It's amazing what they do, and sure, I'm usually rooting for Team USA, but I can appreciate when others win as well. I love that Japan is doing so well on their home turf - that's great!

I think you're thinking of Lily King - that's who was beaten by Jacoby.

I hope Simone is okay and that she is able to continue with the competition. I can’t imagine the pressure she must be under. She made the right call to withdraw. It’s also gotta be really hard to not have your family in the stands or anyone for that matter cheering you on.

FWIW, I haven't seen a single news story refer to them as "losing" the gold. Everything I see is winning or taking silver.

The husband of Skinner also put on his Instagram stories negative comments, leading that if she had been on the team they would have won. The spouse of a gymnast went after the team for "losing". He deleted the story but was too late for it to be captured. Maybe MyKayla can teach him about sportsmanship.

BTW, if she had been on the team instead of Grace, they still would have won silver.

I hope Simone is okay and that she is able to continue with the competition. I can’t imagine the pressure she must be under. She made the right call to withdraw. It’s also gotta be really hard to not have your family in the stands or anyone for that matter cheering you on.

This is exactly what I thought. An athlete at her level....which is otherworldly, never been seen level.....has to be 1000% mentally on top of her game, or she could literally break her neck. Honestly, I think the whole deal...that they even went forward with these games is pathetic. They should have waited another year. It's all empty stadiums, fake applause, stressed athletes...etc. There's no dressing up this deal....it's just a sad mess.

Honestly, I think the whole deal...that they even went forward with these games is pathetic.

No one is forcing you to watch. No one is forcing any athlete to be there and compete. I feel it would have been worse to cancel. Think of all of the athletes that would never make it to "their" Olympics. It would have been a devastating blow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter