The Seas are full of WONDER and waves! Our first Disney Cruise - 7-night Eastern Caribbean; Feb 2018

Part 11) Bibbity Bobbity Boutiquing

Knowing Olivia would have her birthday on the cruise we wanted to do something a bit special for her. We've never done Bibbity Bobbity Boutique (I am going to type BBB from now on) before at the parks, but thought it could be fun to do on the ship. I think I was able to time things well as we got the appointments (figured Emma would be upset if she didn't get to go too) on Olivia's actual Birthday and then got the tickets for the Princess Gathering shortly after. It also turned out to be formal night so even better! (I also took WAY too many pictures and videos - but I promise to keep it to one post!)

We just did the basic Crown Package for both girls which was $64.99 and included hairstyling, a face gem, shimmering makeup, nail polish, a princess sash and cinch sack, but not the dress. Instead, we brought dresses from home - and got them from Etsy that we really liked - they were a bit more "inspired" by the princess dresses rather than full on costumes. The staff at the BBB LOVED the dresses and just kept commenting on how nice they were - so I think we did good! You can see it a bit on their faces even just as the girls came out of the dressing room after getting changed. In case it wasn't obvious, Olivia's is inspired by Belle and Emma's was inspired by Ariel
A7NbZwc.jpg

Each girl had a "fairy Godmother in training" who did their makeovers. I loved how they just addressed the girls and let them make all the decisions (what type of hairstyle, what color makeup, etc.) - they definitely felt like the center of attention
KJLvPKs.jpg
pMrQMM9.jpg

Then they started to work on their hair (Emma got a full bun and Olivia did the part up/part down to match the real Belle). Just what angle I was at (and what fun faces she was making) I got more images of Emma
3NmCw4L.jpg
Fcrqocp.gif

Then they got super glittery nail polish and makeup, etc. and then the last step was just a ton of glitter sprinkled all over them
eAhn7aw.jpg

WMFGvcW.gif
6vYKBQx.gif

Then they spin the girls around (telling them to close their eyes for the unveiling - which Emma took very seriously)
3Pvndrz.gif

and the finished products!
daZtUe9.jpg
sbzjAZX.jpg

Overall I think both girls really loved the experience and the staff there was soooo good with them. We actually tried to tip them and they refused saying they can't take tips

We then went around for a bit of a photo shoot before our time for the princess gathering. I love a number of these pictures as they capture the personality of the girls - Olivia trying to be serious but they eye-rolling at Emma not being serious, etc.
5JMtxmB.jpg
v7CwQS4.jpg
0ckiFIh.jpg

ZuX5bgY.jpg
VOBt9ps.jpg

Y1CMsaA.jpg

Coming up next, we gather with some Princesses, get some lunch, and then before we know it, dinner time again!

TTFN

Happy late birthday Olivia! What a cool surprise for both Olivia and Emma, they looked like they had a blast!

Wow! Great update! And what a great birthday so far with a Mickey bar for breakfast and a BBB appointment!

A Mickey bar is a perfect birthday breakfast!!

How cool that they have the Animation class on board! I do miss that a lot at DHS :(

What a nice treat for the girls! Their dresses are so pretty and they both look so happy after the reveal!

Great updates!!!

Animators Palate is my favorite Dining Room on any of the ships. However, Tiana's Place is making it a run for its money since I play the saxophone and have played jazz for many years (I'm really interested in your review of that restaurant).

I find Golden Mickey's to be really good. I like the show. I just don't know what will happen to it once Bob Iger leaves. My favorite part of Golden Mickey's is definitely the end. My favorite show on DCL is on the Wonder and I think the Magic as well. It's usually the last main theater show shown on the cruise.

I like the map on the T.V. I actually keep that channel on at night, because it shows the time on it. I can't remember if there is a clock in the room or not, but my Dad and I have always had the rooms split with me sleeping on the couch. It's usually the only way for me to take quick glance to see what time it is. Also, it helps me when I wake up to know if we are still moving or not, because I always like to go up to the top deck and watch us sail in to each port.

Happy late birthday Olivia! What a cool surprise for both Olivia and Emma, they looked like they had a blast!

Thank you (and Olivia thanks you) ... they definitely enjoyed the BBB - I wasn’t sure *how* into it Emma would be but she really enjoyed it and wanted to wear her fancy dress most of the rest of the trip!

Wow! Great update! And what a great birthday so far with a Mickey bar for breakfast and a BBB appointment!

Thank you! Yeah, this birthday might be hard to top!

A Mickey bar is a perfect birthday breakfast!!

How cool that they have the Animation class on board! I do miss that a lot at DHS :(

What a nice treat for the girls! Their dresses are so pretty and they both look so happy after the reveal!

Olivia was very happy to get her Mickey Bar.

Good point about not having the animation classes are DHS anymore - a DCL Cruise is a great option as they had them quite often (several a day)

Girls were definitely happy - I am glad it worked out!

Great updates!!!

Animators Palate is my favorite Dining Room on any of the ships. However, Tiana's Place is making it a run for its money since I play the saxophone and have played jazz for many years (I'm really interested in your review of that restaurant).

I find Golden Mickey's to be really good. I like the show. I just don't know what will happen to it once Bob Iger leaves. My favorite part of Golden Mickey's is definitely the end. My favorite show on DCL is on the Wonder and I think the Magic as well. It's usually the last main theater show shown on the cruise.

I like the map on the T.V. I actually keep that channel on at night, because it shows the time on it. I can't remember if there is a clock in the room or not, but my Dad and I have always had the rooms split with me sleeping on the couch. It's usually the only way for me to take quick glance to see what time it is. Also, it helps me when I wake up to know if we are still moving or not, because I always like to go up to the top deck and watch us sail in to each port.

Thank you!

Definitely enjoyed AP but (spoiler) I liked Tiana’s quite a bit more - but that is coming up soon!

Good point about when Iger leaves as far as the Golden Mickey’s .... good thing for them he keeps extending his contract!

There is a clock in the room but it was a bedside one so makes sense that if you were closed off via the curtain you wouldn’t be able to see it and thus need the TV - makes sense! And I recall you talking about going up to watch the ship dock and stuff (I did manage that some, but more just to watch pulling into port than the actual docking process)

Oh what a fun birthday! BBB on the ship looks fabulous and I'm glad both girls got to try something new!

(Happy belated birthday to Olivia!)

Yeah, we did Orlando Towncar Service and was very happy with it. We also got a quote from Southern Elegance Limousines and they were pretty similar but quoted a smaller car with a trailer for the luggage vs the one larger van we got which we preferred. I know a lot of people use Happy Limo

We looked into staying on site but with needing room for 6 people and with it being the Winter Break it was just way to expensive to justify - it was nearly $600/night for an Art of Animation suite ... the $169 we paid for the Homewood suite was just easier to stomach!

Just joining in and caught up as we prepare for our first family cruise. I appreciate the hotel and transportation suggestions. We might drive down from PA, but my parents and brother will be flying in from CA so this gives me some options to discuss with them. And either way we'll be staying in a hotel at least the night before somewhere. (My middle son strangely wants to do the Titanic experience before we get on the ship...)

Judi wound up going to the Spa as they were doing a tour of it with a raffle giveaway ... and she won! She was able to use this later in the cruise towards a hot stone massage which she really liked!
UWI34xt.jpg

Ah that's awesome! I've been to these things before (well, only 3 times) but never win anything!

For the appetizers I knew I was going to try the Black Truffle Pasta Pursettes as everyone seems to rave about them, but I decided to get a 2nd appetizer and got the Tomato Tart which had goat cheese on it as well. Judi and my mom also got the Pasta Pursettes and they loved them ... I don't know if my expectations were just to high but I thought they were quite good but nothing to gush over/didn't change my life or anything. Actually, I thought the tomato tart was better and am super glad I ordered that as well
B5SRKzd.jpg

I love the pasta pursettes! But the tomato tart sounds interesting! I may have to get 2 different appetizers next time. I usually get 2 orders of the pursettes. :)

So, we weren't able to take photos or video during the Golden Mickeys - so nothing to share there - but we really enjoyed it and thought they did a great job with the stage productions, etc. - got a lot of different characters featured. I think this is one show that has been around for a bit so I am sure repeat cruisers might be a bit bored with it but for our first time we thought it was a great start to the trip!

I've never seen Golden Mickey's but it sounds like a show I'd really enjoy! The shows on the ship are amazing!

We had also put out the door hanger requesting some room service breakfast. It was largely pastries and fruit and coffee, etc. - but I did write-in that we would like some Mickey Bars as that was the one thing Olivia said she wanted to do on her Birthday - have a Mickey Bar for breakfast. Well, no problem getting them delivered - Happy Birthday Olivia!
8pp6IoR.jpg

Aww this looks like their best meal of the trip! :)

This class we were drawing Pluto! They start you off with some paper that has a circle and guideline on it and then they have a CM in the front guiding your through the process including a camera on what she was drawing so we could see it in more detail
Jh3ywP5.jpg
y79i79M.jpg

I love this, just like the Animation Academy they used to have at DHS! I wish I did this on our cruise.

We just did the basic Crown Package for both girls which was $64.99 and included hairstyling, a face gem, shimmering makeup, nail polish, a princess sash and cinch sack, but not the dress. Instead, we brought dresses from home - and got them from Etsy that we really liked - they were a bit more "inspired" by the princess dresses rather than full on costumes. The staff at the BBB LOVED the dresses and just kept commenting on how nice they were - so I think we did good! You can see it a bit on their faces even just as the girls came out of the dressing room after getting changed. In case it wasn't obvious, Olivia's is inspired by Belle and Emma's was inspired by Ariel
A7NbZwc.jpg

I think everyone I know usually does this package and brings their own dress. Those dressed are precious!!!

daZtUe9.jpg
sbzjAZX.jpg

Overall I think both girls really loved the experience and the staff there was soooo good with them. We actually tried to tip them and they refused saying they can't take tips

They look absolutely amazing. Such adorable girls!

This picture though...I just LOVE it!

Well it is going to be hard to top this birthday for her next year! Mickey Bars for breakfast and a Triple B visit? Dad o' the year!

What a great trip report so far! I stumbled upon this as we're taking our first Disney cruise (actually first cruise EVER) next February. Our older boys (20 & 18) can't make it, but our daughter (7, almost 8, when we sail) will be with us!

Your girls are close in age to ours, so I'm excited to read this! We'll be on the Fantasy, was thinking about a smaller ship first.... but I don't think one can go wrong with any Disney ship!

I'm so excited to see that your girls loved BBB! I'm honestly wavering on doing it.... but I think my DD will love it in the end. But all that glitter?!?!? My gosh, it must get into everything lol!

I'll be following along, thank you!

Hi everyone - just wanted to check in

We are 5 days into our Viking cruise with the DIS team around Italy and very much enjoying it. The ship is really nice and most ports have been wonderful (we did a few private tours to wineries (1 featuring a michilin star rated restaurant we had a 4 hour lunch at) and they we great)

Obviously I am spending a lot of time comparing to the Disney Cruise. They are quite different (especially the target age group - on the cruise minimum age is 16 and i’d say the average age is bout 60). The ship is really nice and while the service is very good, to me, it falls short compared to what Disney provided

Been nice hanging out a bit with much of the DIS unplugged crew - particulalry the younger memebers and we have been taking over one of the lounges each night

Internet is spotty so don’t think it will get a full update to this trip report done but did want to check in to say hi and I hope you are all doing well!

If you have any specific questions about this cruise I am on now definitely feel free to ask!

We are 5 days into our Viking cruise with the DIS team around Italy and very much enjoying it. The ship is really nice and most ports have been wonderful (we did a few private tours to wineries (1 featuring a michilin star rated restaurant we had a 4 hour lunch at) and they we great)

Obviously I am spending a lot of time comparing to the Disney Cruise. They are quite different (especially the target age group - on the cruise minimum age is 16 and i’d say the average age is bout 60). The ship is really nice and while the service is very good, to me, it falls short compared to what Disney provided

Been nice hanging out a bit with much of the DIS unplugged crew - particulalry the younger memebers and we have been taking over one of the lounges each night

Internet is spotty so don’t think it will get a full update to this trip report done but did want to check in to say hi and I hope you are all doing well!

If you have any specific questions about this cruise I am on now definitely feel free to ask!

Hey Phil, I hope your enjoying your cruise and say hi to the Dis team for me lol!

We really wanted to go on that cruise but we were not able to find somewhere for our daughter. We live away from our parents and it just didn't work out for them to come and watch her. I am really enjoying following all the Dis team on social media. Have a great rest of the cruise. Are you going to do a trip report once this one is done?

Go back to enjoying your cruise! Say hi to the team for me!

We were on that cruise too :) I can just make myself and my husband out on the sail away gif! We had an AMAZING time it so far it sounds like you guys did too! I'm enjoying your report so far!

It's so nice of you to check in and let us know a bit about the cruise. I would love to hear more about it when you're back home. Even though my daughter is technically an adult we are still planning to sail with Disney this summer, but the Viking ship looks very nice and I'd definitely consider other lines (especially the non-monster-sized ships). Glad you are enjoying yourself! (And see you on the games board.) Say hi to the podcast people - how fun to get to hang out with them all.

Hey Phil, I hope your enjoying your cruise and say hi to the Dis team for me lol!

Definitely enjoyed the cruise - and said a general "hi" to the DIS team for all the board members that were not able to be there!

We really wanted to go on that cruise but we were not able to find somewhere for our daughter. We live away from our parents and it just didn't work out for them to come and watch her. I am really enjoying following all the Dis team on social media. Have a great rest of the cruise. Are you going to do a trip report once this one is done?

Definitely was key for us that Judi's parent's would watch the kids (made for longer travel days as we had hours of driving on either end to get the kids to them, but was worth it)

Debating on what to do as far as a trip report - I might do an "intermission" to this trip report to cover that cruise in a few posts - as I figure part of it will be comparing/contrasting Viking to Disney .... would that make sense?

Go back to enjoying your cruise! Say hi to the team for me!

Well, back to reality now, but definitely enjoyed the cruise! Though staying out late with so many new friends and then having the excursions, etc. made it less relaxing than I was expecting!

We were on that cruise too :) I can just make myself and my husband out on the sail away gif! We had an AMAZING time it so far it sounds like you guys did too! I'm enjoying your report so far!

Wow, that's awesome - and cool you spotted your husband in the gif! We had a great time overall - though a less than stellar part is coming up soon! (ooh, is that a good tease?). Thank you!

It's so nice of you to check in and let us know a bit about the cruise. I would love to hear more about it when you're back home. Even though my daughter is technically an adult we are still planning to sail with Disney this summer, but the Viking ship looks very nice and I'd definitely consider other lines (especially the non-monster-sized ships). Glad you are enjoying yourself! (And see you on the games board.) Say hi to the podcast people - how fun to get to hang out with them all.

Happy to check in! The smaller ship was definitely nice - definitely a different crowd (apparently this was the Viking cruise with the lowest average age ever, and it was still like 67 or something). Was definitely fun to hang a bit with the DIS Unplugged folks!

Part 12) Fancy Napkins and a Gathering of Princesses

Hi everyone - we are back from Italy! It was a bit of a whirlwind of a trip but we had a blast! Got to spend a lot of time with the DIS team as well (apparently in the evenings at one of the lounges that our group basically took over each night)

I have been debating whether or not to do a trip report for the Italy trip - and what I am thinking of is inserting an update or two into this trip report as a bit of an intermission ... I figure part of it would be comparing/contrasting to Disney Cruise Line anyway

Let me know if you would be interested in that and then I can get started on that!

Oh, and I found one video I missed from the girls post-BBB photo shoot so thought I would throw another gif in here .... pretty accurately shows the two personalities: Olivia trying to take it serious but also a bit over it and Emma .... just being Emma

TATJ264.gif

After the photo shoot we had a bit of time until our next planned event. Consulting the navigator, Olivia expressed interest in the Napkin Folding session - where they would teach us how to fold the napkins all fancy like, and as they do for them in the restaurants - so I took her to that (my mom would join us later as well)

They handed out instruction sheets we could take with us along with a napkin to everyone
DDJFI5b.jpg

Brian was the instructor and was as entertaining as ever. We did ok with all of them - I think Olivia's Bird of Paradise came out quite well! The Peter Pan's boot (which is guess is their signature one) was rather challenging, but the others we did ok with!
nLk4lJ5.jpg
IrrTPGx.jpg

After it was approaching time for our next activity - which was the princess gathering in the atrium (I had been able to get tickets for this to coincide with their BBB makeovers). Oh, and for the record, Peter wanted nothing to do with any of this so he was in the kids club the entire time :thumbsup2

We were a bit early so had to wait until it was our time slot to get in line, but then we were near the front of the line for our group.

First thing I noticed was there was a Cast Member playing piano in the atrium and he was very good. I later found out his name is Josh and he is the first autistic performer they have hired - and he was just great and did everything from memory, no sheet music.
S0nBJ0w.jpg

This shot shows the entire atrium which is where the princess gathering (as they call it, vs a meet & greet) was located
ZE4fkHW.jpg

First up was Ariel - and I guess princesses need to check out each other's shoes:
fQYmwqA.gif

This is one time I was glad for photopass photographers as I was able to focus on taking video and they took the still shots - including getting some twirling
EH6M9vn.jpg
nw9aoAn.jpg

Next was Cinderella:
U4lhgUe.jpg
eJvP2PI.jpg

Then Tiana:
tUFHtgk.jpg

And finally Belle. Emma was very excited to tell that Olivia was dressed to match her. Belle got down lower to Emma's level and Emma then had trouble reaching her for her hug so she kinda fell into her dress (as you can see in the gif)
hej1naa.jpg
Ytu0Bg2.gif

Overall I think this was a big success. The girls really liked BBB - It was interesting to see how the two girls reacted to it - I think Olivia is maybe getting to the upper age for it, at least for her/her personality as I think she is wanting to take it more serious and "grown up" - whereas Emma just had fun with it

Coming up - a little lunch and then more photos and formal night dinner .... but also a bit of a rough evening for us!

TTFN

I have been debating whether or not to do a trip report for the Italy trip - and what I am thinking of is inserting an update or two into this trip report as a bit of an intermission ... I figure part of it would be comparing/contrasting to Disney Cruise Line anyway
I think that sounds like a good idea!

Oh, and I found one video I missed from the girls post-BBB photo shoot so thought I would throw another gif in here .... pretty accurately shows the two personalities: Olivia trying to take it serious but also a bit over it and Emma .... just being Emma
OMG-adorable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter