The Seas are full of WONDER and waves! Our first Disney Cruise - 7-night Eastern Caribbean; Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by TheMaxRebo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. missangelalexis

missangelalexis DIS Veteran

Glad it was a nice dinner! The PP pics came out really nice :)

Awesome that you could still see the fireworks from your room! A private viewing!

2. khertz

khertz Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Tiana's place looks awesome! I have this bad habit of getting sucked into New Orleans style menus and thinking it all sounds delicious, but it's never the same as eating the same foods in New Orleans. However, I could get behind pretty much every one of those desserts! I LOVE Doberge cake!! But those beignets definitely need A LOT more powdered sugar!!

Poor Emma. I definitely appreciate you sharing how she did with the whole experience since Delilah will be about that age when we go on our cruise. I'm sure it is a lot for the little ones! She's already not a great napper, but I was already thinking I'd have to force naps at least a few times throughout the week.

I'm so looking forward to fireworks on our cruise!! Sucks you didn't get to see them with the rest of the family, but pretty awesome that you could see them from your room at least.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Dinner was really good - I love the concept of it and would love for them to bring something like this to WDW (maybe at Port Orleans?)

Definitely the week was catching up to Emma - I am very glad I got to see the fireworks from the veranda though so I got a unique experience out of it

Thank you! Definitely enjoyed that dinner and Tiana's in general

haha, yeah, I'll take a private fireworks viewing any day! Actually I could see out over the railing and at least a few other staterooms had people out watching as well

We've only been to New Orleans once and I am not going to say this is as good as real New Orleans food but it was generally along the lines of being fairly authentic and pretty solid overall. The look and feel of the place was a great though (maybe a bit cleaner than the real Bourbon Street ;) )

Yeah, it's tough, as Emma wanted to keep up with the older two the beginning of the week and the shows keep them out late, etc. I probably overdid it with the planning of character meets and stuff the beginning of the cruise. It's hard though to just "take it easy" as you want to get your money's worth and get in all the things they offer! I think forcing a few naps would be good and trying to get them to bed on the early side - at least some nights - will help. Easier said than done when you are in the moment!

Fireworks on a cruise ship is just amazing being in the middle of the ocean and everything! I am so glad I was able to see them from the veranda!

5. lovingeire

lovingeire DIS Veteran

Oh wow! I had fallen very behind in reading your report, but I am finally all caught up! (Kind of got wrapped up in a quick weekend getaway to see NPH for the CP and celebrate my birthday...and convinced my hubby to accompany me so Had to book some last minute ADRs!) But I digress! Pirate night looks amazing! I did it once before, but didn't have my kiddos with me so I can't wait to experience it with them. I think I will look for costumes after Halloween this year as I've seen that recommended a few times. I mentioned matching shirts with costume elements, which my parents liked, but my husband and middle son are more committed to being in full pirate regalia!

The Viking cruise looks amazing! My in-laws have been talking about one and I may have to send them to read your report. (Although they likely won't do Italy as they are spending two weeks there in October.) . But they are interested in Viking. I know there was a large contingient of Disers, but was the crowd quite a bit older. I feel like the commercials always show "older" couples and not "mid-lifers" (did I even just use that term for myself even though I haven't hit that marker yet?????/) so what did you think of the make up of guests on the ship?

Beignets are always a good idea. I'd be hard pressed to turn down White Chocolate Bread Pudding as it's one of my favorites, but that sundae sounds good too!

Well, if that didn't work out perfectly....

6. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Thanks for catching up! And early Happy Birthday and congrats on getting the NPH CP! I heard a number of people were having technical issues trying to book the CP so glad you got it!

We saw some people that were in like professional pirate outfits - really impressive. Definitely a wide range of levels of dressing up for it - though it did feel like most people did *something* beyond just the bandanas they provide to you. Definitely a fun time and something a bit unique to Disney Cruiseline

So the Viking Cruise definitely did skew older - someone said that our trip was the youngest collection of guests they have ever had - and the average age was still 67. We did get a few comments from people about "all these young people!" but overall it was fine and there were definitely some other younger people on it besides those with our group. The age thing is one reason why I don't think I would want to do another if it was just Judi and I - I would want to do it with at least a few other couples that we knew.

A lot of the dessert menus looked really good - and definitely a plus to cruising that you can order all the desserts!

Definitely worked out quite well - I fee very fortunate that we had a room with a veranda and that it was on the correct side to see the fireworks!

7. lovingeire

lovingeire DIS Veteran

Thank you! It was so bizarre because about half of us on the thread didn't seem to have any problem booking and the other half had one hard time! I did book a little earlier than most as I saw a post here that they were available online so maybe it helped that I beat the rush by 10-20 minutes?

Good to know! That would definitely suite them then I'd think. And I understand wanting to have a group in that case!

Out of curiosity, were you on the port or starboard side?

8. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Part 37) Running 5K while on Vacation

Day 7 dawned with the ship pulling into port - our last stop and our last full day of the cruise! This was a stop I was excited for but also curious about as it was Castaway Cay, Disney's private island. I was curious about "how great can it really be?" considering people do back-to-cruises and now "double dips" just to get to the island more often

But before we could get to that, this morning we had to convene in one of the lounges as Judi and I would be participating in the Castaway Cay 5K!. I am definitely not a runner (I wish I was, but I just hate it and every other form of working out I have ever tried) but it seemed like one of those things of when else would I get this chance - and the opportunity to participate in a free* RunDisney event!

* obviously not really free as included in the (not cheap) cost of the cruise

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Apparently there were over 200 runners participating, plus family members that were gathered, so it was a good sized crowd!

Below is a super awkward selfie showing off my race bib (and Connecting with Walt t-shirt I was wearing)
    [​IMG]

Typically when you are running in the race you get off the ship earlier than everyone else - but I think we were a bit delayed in docking so by the time we did and we were allowed to get off it was basically at the time everyone else could get off, so not much of a benefit - but wasn't an issue in the end. In the first picture below you can see Judi with Peter and Emma (Olivia was with me). We were going to drop them at the kids club that is on the Island and then my mom would be joining us later. The second picture you can sort of see how the ship docks at one end and then the beach areas are a bit around. You can walk or they have a tram over.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Our first stop was Scuttle's Cove, which is the Kid's Club on the Island. the set up is similar to the one on board in that they scan their magic bands to check in ... however today they were doing a "business continuity" test to see how well they would handle a power outage or something that prevented the magic bands from working so we had to manual check them in with a paper and pen (how primitive!).

I did notice this sign out front:
    [​IMG]

I then went ahead and found a few beach chairs in the area we told my mom we would be that was under a palm tree (cause, you know, Caribbean Island stereotypes and all) and put our stuff down there. We had gotten a KYSS bag so I used that and attached it around two chairs. Then met up with Judi near the starting line. Before too long, we were off! You run down one path and then make your way onto a landing strip that cuts along the island
    [​IMG]

You then cut up off of this and do a loop around a bike path there. About half way around you get to a look out tower. I used this as a marking point and took a selfie (notice how I still appear a bit fresh at this point)
    [​IMG]

They have a bunch of random set pieces around the trial - I took a bunc hof pictures, including one by a Donal plane ... apparently the story is that using this plane Donald was the first one to discover Castaway Cay
    [​IMG]

After completing the loop you then have a bit further to go down the landing strip - at the end of which is the 1/2 way point and also where the Adults Only beach is
    [​IMG]

It is then back the way you came. I must say that up to this point I was doing pretty good but that stretch back down the landing strip, with not a lot of shade cover was a bit bruttle on me. We were then back through the loop and here is me selfie at the watch tower - not looking quite as fresh this time!
    [​IMG]

And then to the finish line. I wanted to do sub-45 mins so I'll take it! As I said I am not a runner and there were also a lot of other non-runners out there - many of whom walked the entire thing, and they had CMs out for a while waiting to hand your your medal no matter how long you took - which I thought was nice
    [​IMG]

And here is Judi and I with our medals (she finished quite a bit faster than me) and you can also see her DISPop shirt (RIP DISPop)
    [​IMG]

We then went to find our stuff and find my mom - who was nowhere to be found. So we were scouring the beach looking for her and she was way off from where we said we would be. Plus, once I found her she (as she was wandering around looking for us) she couldn't remember where she left her stuff ... so it took a bit longer than expected to get settled, but we eventually did.

Coming up - some (attempts) at character meets with Emma!

9. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Part 38) Attempting Character Meets

After resting for a bit it was getting close to lunch time so I decided I would go check on the kids in the Kids Club and see if they wanted to eat with us. Well, Peter and Olivia did not - they were having far too much fun. I did remind them that there was a whole beach and ocean, etc. but they weren't interested. Emma however was ready to come out so I took her out and left the other two. I was looking at the schedule and a number of characters were doing meets so I asked if she wanted to meet any characters and she said yes. I asked which ones (after listing the options) and she wanted to meet Jack Sparrow - so off we went to his meeting spot, which was back near the boat ...

..... and I guess I didn't quite remember how long of a walk that was, and by the time we got there his meet was over. We saw near there Donald was meeting but by the time we got there his line was closed too. So that was a bummer. While there I did talk Emma into taking some Photopass pictures by the ship.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

We then headed back (this time we took the tram though!). And saw Minnie was meeting - but her line got closed before we got there. We did get lucky and were able to sneak into the Goody line (we were the last ones to meet him)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So, wasn't quite as productive as I was expecting. Because Emma was being cooperative with hanging out with me and willing to do the meets the prior day and today, I did treat her to a slushy in a sippy mug - she picked Sven:
    [​IMG]

I also had noticed that the big dance party was coming up and Emma seemed interested so I brought her to that. One song that got played a lot was that Shakira song Waka Waka - so that was playing when I took the video for this gif
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately Emma was starting to feel worn out so after like one song I carried her back to our chairs and she pretty quickly fell asleep
    [​IMG]

I rested for a bit and took some video of just where we were sitting and taking it all in while Judi went to check out the water. It really is a beautiful place - basically the most pristine Caribbean island you can think of - with added Disney touches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once Judi got back to our chairs (you can see her coming back in the above gif) I decided to check out the slides
    [​IMG]

I only did one side and it was pretty fun - though I will say they end a bit off of the water level so you drop a bit and I took a face full of saltwater. Definitely think they are not for little kids!

Then rested for a bit with a drink
    [​IMG]

We had also gotten the cooler bag filled with ice and water bottles they were selling. It is a rather nice bag and the whole thing was only like $20 so thought it was a good deal!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, also wanted to mention that the evening before we had gotten one of our Fishe Extender gifts and it was filled with things that were useful for the day at Castaway Cay including cupholders that you stick into the sand and then these towel holders that were like giant scrunchies - super effective!
    [​IMG]

Coming up next - lunch, and then back on the ship

TTFN!

10. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

We were on the Port side - so the left side if facing the front of the ship (had to double check that ;))

lovingeire likes this.
  11. khertz

khertz Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

DH wants to do the run just for the medal, but I'll leave that to him. I'm not a runner either, nor do I have any interest in pretending to be one!! lol

What a bummer you missed out on all the meets with Emma, but she did seem to take it like a champ.

The bags with ice & water were sold on the island? That's a great idea! The towel holders is pretty creative too. I would never have thought of something like that. Very thoughtful FE gift.

12. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Congrats on the Castaway Cay 5K! I really want to do that someday.

Castaway Cay just looks like an awesome place. I really need to do a Disney cruise soon.

13. missangelalexis

missangelalexis DIS Veteran

Glad you could participate in the 5k! You both look great showing off our medals!

Sorry you didn't have good timing with the character meets! Nice pics with Goofy though! And Emma looks rather content with her Sven drink :)