The Running Thread -- 2022

Has anyone used a massage gun like theragun? I'm pretty old school with a foam roller, but I've heard some people swear by them. Just seems like it would be hard to your hamstrings etc.

We started with a cheapie off Amazon, but ended up buying a Theragun a year later. The amount of pressure is adjustable and they come with different attachments. You are not supposed to use it for long. I think the directions say two minutes max per muscle group. I doubt I go over a minute for any area.

Has anyone used a massage gun like theragun? I'm pretty old school with a foam roller, but I've heard some people swear by them. Just seems like it would be hard to your hamstrings etc.
I have one and use it some, but not every day. It’s intense. I still prefer my foam roller for everyday stuff but when something feels particularly tight or sore, the theragun does a great job. The shape of the handle makes it easy to hold it to reach your hamstrings. It’s also smaller than the foam roller so it can get into that anterior tibial muscle group, which I need sometimes as I get ankle pain if it starts getting tight. It also does a better job on my shoulder that a foam roller. The calves are actually the hardest part for me to do with the theragun. I have to almost support my calf with one hand to keep it from moving too much while using it because the intense vibration feels weird in a tender way. That said, it definitely works the knots out of my calves better than anything else.

Massage gun, foam roller, and Marc Pro (tens machine) are the route for my hamstrings! I brought the massage gun and Marc Pro with me to MW this year. They were life savers, especially on Saturday evening getting ready for the next day.

Last edited:
My run last night was a T+D of 160 (Temp of 86F and Dew of 74F) here in WI. In 2020, I only exceeded a T+D of 160 three times (7/8/20, 7/18/20, and 8/8/20). So to have it happen on 5/10/22 is unusual. OOF! My T+D record is 177 (Temp of 95F, Dew of 82F, and Feels like 119F) on 6/29/18. I don't want another summer like 2018...

Things are already heating up way ahead of schedule in the Midwest. There's a giant dome of heat trapped between two low pressure systems and it's not going anywhere soon.

Well, for only the second time in my running life I tripped and fell Tonight. I landed on a sweet gum ball, rolled my ankle and my body followed. No blood, minimal scraping and I think my ankle and knee will feel ok after a rest day tomorrow. I was able to run the quarter mile or so home so i doubt I did any real damage. Pretty sure a couple cars driving by saw me go down because they slowed down as they passed me but when I sat up I guess they figured I would live So they didn’t stop.

I'm glad to hear that you're basically OK.

When I read that you stepped on a "sweet gum ball", the first thing I pictured was a cartoon-like scene with lots of candy gumballs (they would be "sweet") all over the floor. I was wondering why you were running in a place like that! :)

Has anyone run the Long Beach marathon? If so, what are your thoughts?
I did it in 2010. One of those races where there were far fewer marathoners than half runners (not that this is unusual). It was OK. Better than Surf City (hate the two out and backs) but not as good as OC. I also attempted it in 2011 but dropped out around mile six due to pain from a femoral stress fracture (which hadn't yet been diagnosed).

Well, for only the second time in my running life I tripped and fell Tonight. I landed on a sweet gum ball, rolled my ankle and my body followed. No blood, minimal scraping and I think my ankle and knee will feel ok after a rest day tomorrow. I was able to run the quarter mile or so home so i doubt I did any real damage. Pretty sure a couple cars driving by saw me go down because they slowed down as they passed me but when I sat up I guess they figured I would live So they didn’t stop.
I hope that you're okay. How is your ankle feeling now? I'm still waiting to be able to resume running.

When I read that you stepped on a "sweet gum ball", the first thing I pictured was a cartoon-like scene with lots of candy gumballs (they would be "sweet") all over the floor. I was wondering why you were running in a place like that! :)

Like running through a Wonka factory! Never really considered but maybe they might have another name. Or maybe they just aren't littering the ground where you are. They are EVERYWHERE here. Little jerks!

1652460884951.png

I hope that you're okay. How is your ankle feeling now? I'm still waiting to be able to resume running.

I took a rest day yesterday instead of climbing because my ankle was a little sore, especially noticeable on the forward swing of my step. Ice and aleve helped quite a bit and it felt fine for a 6 mile run this morning. So, no real harm done.
I credit rock climbing for making me a good faller. I don't tend to brace myself and just kind of let my body go as relaxed to the ground as you can while unexpectedly falling. By the time you drop from 15-18 feet up hundreds of times, the muscle memory you develop sort of kicks in and I'm sure it has kept me from really getting injured during both of my running falls.

Well, damn. Apparently I have an avulsion fracture of the base of the 5th metatarsal. Guess no running for me for a while. Ortho better heal me by July12....I'm on a plane for Italy and nothing is stopping me.

ETA: So I guess the little one mile run I took on Tuesday was "Contraindicated"! :crutches:

Last edited:
Well, damn. Apparently I have an avulsion fracture of the base of the 5th metatarsal. Guess no running for me for a while. Ortho better heal me by July12....I'm on a plane for Italy and nothing is stopping me.

ETA: So I guess the little one mile run I took on Tuesday was "Contraindicated"! :crutches:
Feel better! I hope that you have an easy and fast recovery.

Like running through a Wonka factory! Never really considered but maybe they might have another name. Or maybe they just aren't littering the ground where you are. They are EVERYWHERE here. Little jerks!

View attachment 668927
One of these took me out about halfway thru a 13-mile training run a few years ago. Fortunately I was running past the entrance to my very small subdivision when it happened so I didn't have far to get home. I am very careful around them now.

Race Report- Caumsett State Park 5K

So I wasn't planning on running this race. I didn't even know about it until a friend texted me last night and asked me if I wanted to run with her. I had 3 miles scheduled anyway, so I figured why not? It was a bit warm and humid this morning, but thankfully cloudy, which is my preferred racing weather. The course is a bit hilly, but not too crazy. It was a small race of about 100 participants.

Considering I just ran a half 13 days ago, I wasn't expecting much. I decided to turn off my intervals and just see what happened. The first mile was pretty much flat so I made it through that with no walk breaks and feeling comfortable. There was a big climb at about mile 1.25 and a water station at the top of the hill so I took the chance to have a small walk break. The rest of the 2nd mile was a lot of up and down, not big hills but nothing flat. I had to take 1 or 2 more breaks. By the third mile, sweat was literally rolling down my face and I was ready to call it quits. But I hung in there until about mile 2.5 when I started needing more frequent breaks. I went to my 1:00/:30 pattern that I use in training and that seemed to help as I was able to sprint a little during the run segments so it didn't wreck my pace. By that point, I was hoping to get under 40 minutes, which would be a post-pandemic return to real races PB, and I came in at 40:04. Better than I expected for sure!

I'm having a bit of a hard time focusing on my personal improvements. I was happy with my time, until I saw the rest of the results and I came in 80th out of 101, and was the 3rd to last person to finish with an actual running pace. I know it doesn't really matter, that I got out there and did it, and did it to the best of my ability. But it's still disheartening to be at the bottom of the heap. I know I've been working hard, and my improvement shows that, but I still feel kind of pathetic compared to everyone else. Well, that's my pity party for the day.

Time to focus on the positive and trying to improve even more for the next time out! Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

I came in at 40:04. Better than I expected for sure!

I'm having a bit of a hard time focusing on my personal improvements. I was happy with my time, until I saw the rest of the results and I came in 80th out of 101
Wow, a finish time of 40 minutes in local 5ks around me would put you solidly in the middle of the pack! 40 minutes is great, especially with the heat and hills!

Oh that sucks!! Hoping for a speedy recovery for you!

By that point, I was hoping to get under 40 minutes, which would be a post-pandemic return to real races PB, and I came in at 40:04. Better than I expected for sure!

I'm having a bit of a hard time focusing on my personal improvements. I was happy with my time, until I saw the rest of the results and I came in 80th out of 101, and was the 3rd to last person to finish with an actual running pace. I know it doesn't really matter, that I got out there and did it, and did it to the best of my ability. But it's still disheartening to be at the bottom of the heap. I know I've been working hard, and my improvement shows that, but I still feel kind of pathetic compared to everyone else. Well, that's my pity party for the day.

Time to focus on the positive and trying to improve even more for the next time out! Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

What is that saying? Comparison is the thief of joy. Or something like that. Around here 40 mins would also be a middle of the pack pace, especially with heat and hills. If you threw hills into a race around here, people would SUFFER! You should be proud of your improvements regardless, but also I think you can temper your disappointment a little if you realize that race ran fast.

Race Report- Caumsett State Park 5K

So I wasn't planning on running this race. I didn't even know about it until a friend texted me last night and asked me if I wanted to run with her. I had 3 miles scheduled anyway, so I figured why not? It was a bit warm and humid this morning, but thankfully cloudy, which is my preferred racing weather. The course is a bit hilly, but not too crazy. It was a small race of about 100 participants.

Considering I just ran a half 13 days ago, I wasn't expecting much. I decided to turn off my intervals and just see what happened. The first mile was pretty much flat so I made it through that with no walk breaks and feeling comfortable. There was a big climb at about mile 1.25 and a water station at the top of the hill so I took the chance to have a small walk break. The rest of the 2nd mile was a lot of up and down, not big hills but nothing flat. I had to take 1 or 2 more breaks. By the third mile, sweat was literally rolling down my face and I was ready to call it quits. But I hung in there until about mile 2.5 when I started needing more frequent breaks. I went to my 1:00/:30 pattern that I use in training and that seemed to help as I was able to sprint a little during the run segments so it didn't wreck my pace. By that point, I was hoping to get under 40 minutes, which would be a post-pandemic return to real races PB, and I came in at 40:04. Better than I expected for sure!

Comparing yourself to others will only lead to frustration and discontent. I think it was @camaker who said the obvious (but often ignored sentiment): that there will always be slower runners and there will always be faster runners. Set and achieve your own personal goals and don't worry about the next person.

Has anyone used a massage gun like theragun? I'm pretty old school with a foam roller, but I've heard some people swear by them. Just seems like it would be hard get to your hamstrings etc.

My brother in law has a Theragun Pro so I've tried his and the short time I used it I liked it. I'll be getting a Theragun Elite at some point when I decide to pull the trigger on the one saved in my Amazon list.

My brother in law has a Theragun Pro so I've tried his and the short time I used it I liked it. I'll be getting a Theragun Elite at some point when I decide to pull the trigger on the one saved in my Amazon list.
I have an Elite and I really like it. I use the run recovery routine after my long runs and it feels really nice after (sometimes a bit tender during though!).

Has anyone used a massage gun like theragun? I'm pretty old school with a foam roller, but I've heard some people swear by them.
I went with the Sharper Image Powerboost Deep Tissue Massager. 3 speeds, 5 attachments, no adjustable angle, retro carrying case, currently 90 bucks at B, B, & B. Inexpensive, simple, and usable.

I love it. I'm mostly using it for upper body soreness, but just did a test and had no trouble reaching hamstrings, calves, etc.

What are people's favorite running books? I'm particularly looking for training manual-type books, but if you have other recommendations don't hesitate to share those as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter