The Running Thread -- 2022

Do you feel like you get an equivalent workout on them, as compared to running? I know it wont be identical, of course, but do you finish 30-45 minutes with that feel-good, post-run kinda vibe?!

I didn't get the same response from cycling as I did from running. Ultimately, my personal data supported the idea that an equal effort indoor cycling ride needed to be about 1.5-2x longer than an equal effort run to be a similar workout. So an easy 45 min run was a 70-90 min indoor ride. This worked from a training load standpoint. But when I attempted to run a marathon off this substitution of some running with some cycling, I found that the cycling didn't translate as well. I had relatively poor marathon performances. But I could run a good half marathon as my still PR from 2019 stands when I was doing cycling and running. I went the path of indoor cycling to lessen the injuries I was getting from running. But after 3 years of doing it, I was still getting injured (just new different injuries) and I had to commit 12-15 hrs of activity instead of 7-8 hrs of activity for the same running fitness level. So I've since gone back to exclusive running and haven't used the indoor cycle since April 2021.

Over those three years despite all the added training volume, I gained a decent amount of weight as well. So in retrospect I believe that I wasn't burning as many calories as I thought I was doing the cycling as I was doing the running.

Lastly, my resting HR was significantly higher during that three year period than when I did running exclusively. This was likely due to the advantages of running on heart stroke volume that isn't present for cycling.

But the workouts did provide a different type of burn that running didn't ever give me. My quads became much stronger during that time and I had some decent muscle growth right above my knees that I didn't have before and don't have currently. I also enjoyed being able to really zone out on the rides by turning on some TV and watching some movies/shows that I typically don't have the time for. So I definitely got something out of the rides, and enjoyed many of them. But I enjoy running more.

Are there best practices for swapping a short ride for a run? Do you try to hit the same HR ranges, for instance? Mix a ride in with some other indoor exercise? Are there pace equivalencies or something?

In my experience, my HR was about 10 bpm less than a matching effort run. The best "equivalency" to run pace is the use of "functional threshold power" for determining zones to work in for cycling. I used the following % zones from FTP to determine effort levels for cycling.

Screen Shot 2022-09-21 at 2.49.03 PM.png

So if I wanted to do a VO2max workout (like a VO2max workout for running), then I would aim for 106-120% my FTP value that was in watts. If my FTP was 262, then my VO2max zone was 278-314. And similar to a run VO2max workout, I'd maintain that wattage for something like 2-5 min and then have equal rest. So if you're just looking to swap out an easy run with an easy ride, then just do about double the time on the bike at something like 55-75% FTP.

I used TrainerRoad when I was doing indoor cycling. It can be paired with a bike trainer (I used a Wahoo Kickr Core) or can be followed alongside other indoor bikes that can't pair with it. I believe it was something like $15 a month when I was using it. But if you're going to be relatively infrequent user of the indoor bike, then it may not be worth it.

I had a pair of cycling bibs (link) that made a big difference in the comfort of the ride. I had originally purchased a few cheap pairs on Amazon (like these) that absolutely ate my backside up. Then there's clip-in shoes, and on and on it goes from there... At the end of the day I ended up doing an estimated 12,000 miles and 788 hours on my indoor cycle. It held up very well.

Last edited:
I had a NordicTrack treadmill for over a decade and although we made some repairs on it, that certainly wasn't one of them. That treadmill passed away from age more or less. The Spirit treadmill that I've had for almost a decade now has had zero problems.

I really cannot imagine a deck cracking like that so soon. Unless your family members are all sumo wrestlers jumping on it! That really seems like a flaw in the original deck that gave way.

It is a Nordic track. And no sumo wrestling here. At any one time, it has less than 200 lbs on it so we didn’t think it was a use/weight issue. Our 9 lb cat loves to sit on it so we joke he broke it. Hopefully, this will be a one time problem.

Congrats to all who entered Boston. Everyone got in. I think that is @GreatLakes who got it at MW this past Jan.

Congrats @GreatLakes and everyone else who applied to Boston!

Thanks. :yay:

I hasn't seen the announcement and just went to check. My registration is still showing "Qualifying Time Pending Verification" so until I get that congratulations email I'm not celebrating but I'm happy.

Been a while since I posted here. Having a one year old leaves little Dis time. But question for all treadmill users - we got a treadmill in February and noticed this week our deck has a 6 inch crack down the center. It’s under warranty so it will get replaced, but my husband and I wonder if this is a normal issue or if we got a lemon. Also wondering if we should be doing someone to avoid this. Our treadmill get heavy use (like daily use) as with said one year old, it is just easier for our schedules and I feel safer (this is a me issue, I live in a very safe area).

I haven't heard of that being a common issue but any plastic parts have the capability of slight defects that shorten their expected lifespan. Do you clean and lube the bed as directed by the manufacturer? While that is generally for improved belt life less friction is also good for the deck.

Last edited:
Adding another home fitness equipment question...

I'm ready to dump my 25yo treadmill: it's still going, amazingly, but it's LOUD and uncomfortable and I'm genuinely afraid the belt could snap at any moment while I'm using it. I don't want to replace it with another treadmill because I really don't want to take up that volume of space anymore, and I'm considering a stationary bike instead.

My questions for those who use stationary bikes:
Do you feel like you get an equivalent workout on them, as compared to running? I know it wont be identical, of course, but do you finish 30-45 minutes with that feel-good, post-run kinda vibe?!
Are there best practices for swapping a short ride for a run? Do you try to hit the same HR ranges, for instance? Mix a ride in with some other indoor exercise? Are there pace equivalencies or something?

I'm no longer doing very long distances, and will still only do my long runs outdoors. And most of my short runs, too. I just need an indoor alternative for stormy days when lightning or monsoon-like rain prevents an outdoor run.
I have a peloton, and while I can get very good workout on the bike, that’s generally more high intensity/difficulty rides. If I wanted to do the equivalent of an “easy” run, I feel like I’d need to be on the bike for a really long time.
Before I had a tread, I used Power Zone Endurance rides if the weather was crappy instead of a run. I would just try to go for about how long my run would last.

I haven't heard of that being a common issue but any plastic parts have the capability of slight defects that shorten their expected lifespan. Do you clean and lube the bed as directed by the manufacturer? While that is generally for improved belt life less friction is also good for the deck.

So we didn’t realized that treadmills need to be lubed. Pre-baby we always ran outside or at the gym in the crappy winter weather. So this is new territory. Our manual did not say we needed to do anything besides wipe down the machine. I am glad to hear that others haven’t had this issue and is most likely a one off.

So we didn’t realized that treadmills need to be lubed. Pre-baby we always ran outside or at the gym in the crappy winter weather. So this is new territory. Our manual did not say we needed to do anything besides wipe down the machine. I am glad to hear that others haven’t had this issue and is most likely a one off.
I looked into that for my NordicTrack, and it did not say to lube it. I have not seen the issue you have. I have had mine for about 3 years. I have had to replace the rear roller (and the motor, but it ended up being the rear roller) at about a year (800 miles??), and it was covered by the warranty.

I'd look at your product manual. My treadmill comes with lube and instructions. It is possible yours doesn't need it but I'd be surprised if any consumer treadmill didn't recommend any tread and deck maintenance at some interval.

Adding another home fitness equipment question...

I'm ready to dump my 25yo treadmill: it's still going, amazingly, but it's LOUD and uncomfortable and I'm genuinely afraid the belt could snap at any moment while I'm using it. I don't want to replace it with another treadmill because I really don't want to take up that volume of space anymore, and I'm considering a stationary bike instead.

My questions for those who use stationary bikes:

I'm no longer doing very long distances, and will still only do my long runs outdoors. And most of my short runs, too. I just need an indoor alternative for stormy days when lightning or monsoon-like rain prevents an outdoor run.
My experience is similar to others. I have a Peloton and while I would say I still get a good workout from it (depending on what type of ride of course), it's much different than running. I don't have the data to back up my experience like DopeyBadger, but I know that my overall HR tends to be lower for an equivalent workout time. Now often the rides on the bike will have more HR spikes depending on what I'm doing (intervals, simulated hills, etc.), but the average is lower over the full 45 minutes to an hour. All that being said, I still like it because it's improving strength in places in my legs that running neglects. So if I am not training for any specific running event, I like to include it because I think my overall fitness/strength is better when I throw in a few rides a week. Plus it keeps the workouts intersting with a little variety. When training for Goofy (like now), I tend to drop it as I would rather focus on the running and don't have the extra time to throw it in.

I looked into that for my NordicTrack, and it did not say to lube it. I have not seen the issue you have. I have had mine for about 3 years. I have had to replace the rear roller (and the motor, but it ended up being the rear roller) at about a year (800 miles??), and it was covered by the warranty.

I'd look at your product manual. My treadmill comes with lube and instructions. It is possible yours doesn't need it but I'd be surprised if any consumer treadmill didn't recommend any tread and deck maintenance at some interval.

I don't regularly lube my ProForm (same company as NordicTrack) but when I get my annual warranty maintenance visit, they do it. I asked the guy last time and he said just wipe it down, unplug when not in use, and occasionally blow some canned air into the motor vent (because we have pets). When he comes, he checks, aligns and lubes the belt and checks the incline/decline and speed changes. It usually only takes him about 15 minutes.

Happy first day of fall. It sure feels like it here today--a real dropoff from yesterday. T+D for my run was a wonderful 98. There was even a wind chill!

Very nice! Today will still be a T+D of 155-165 here, but there's a cold front coming through and tomorrow through the weekend will be in the 100-110 range. I might need long sleeves and gloves!

T+D is supposed to be 165-170 today and stay there all weekend. I cannot wait for it to start cooling down. It has been a brutal summer in Texas. But usually we don't see any relief until November/December. Heck I remember last year I was still wearing shorts in the first week of December.

Signed up for a 10 mile run in two weeks. Hoping that we get some form of cooler weather that weekend.

Happy first day of fall. It sure feels like it here today--a real dropoff from yesterday. T+D for my run was a wonderful 98. There was even a wind chill!
Jealous. My run yesterday was like 156!!! But I think this weekend will be better.

In re: to the bike conversation. I don't know how much cycling has improved my running fitness necessarily, but anecdotally I think it does help me. I also have found that I lose a lot of weight when I am cycling a lot. I think maybe because I get less hungry than I am from running so I'm eating less calories overall? Not sure.

Happy fall to you! I, like so many here am more than ready for it. T+D for my run this morning was 83. 83!!!!! I could hardly believe it.

I don't regularly lube my ProForm (same company as NordicTrack) but when I get my annual warranty maintenance visit, they do it. I asked the guy last time and he said just wipe it down, unplug when not in use, and occasionally blow some canned air into the motor vent (because we have pets). When he comes, he checks, aligns and lubes the belt and checks the incline/decline and speed changes. It usually only takes him about 15 minutes.

I'd recommend taking off the motor cover and vacuuming it out (unplugged of course). We also have pets and the fur gets in there. Blowing canned air into the vent isn't really removing it, just stirring it up.

My NordicTrack did have to be lubed. And I was not good about doing this because the intervals between lubing were really pretty large and I would forget. So I did end up ripping 2 or 3 of the plastic slip-sheet thingies (over 10+ years) that go between the deck and the belt. I had those replaced. But that didn't do anything to the deck.

I am not sure if my current Spirit has to be lubed. I'm not using it as much as I did the NordicTrack, so crossing my fingers about that, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter