The Running Thread -- 2022

Another watch question, TIA

A year ago, DD decided that she wanted to get herself (with her hard work money) a watch to help with her pacing and so she would not have to run with her phone in her hands to do so. She bought an Apple Watch SE NRC and that worked well until a few weeks ago. Apple recommended to reset to factory settings and it was ok.

With that watch, she did improve tremendously her 5k time in the last year. But, at her last race, her watch completely misled her. During the race it was giving her erroneous paces and after the finish line she was crying looking at her time until I told her her real time which was 33 seconds faster than what her watch was telling her.

As a mom, I don’t want indulge a kid by buying a new watch and as a kid she doesn’t want a new watch.

As a coach, I insist that she gets the proper tool for her level. When we debriefed the race later that day, I asked her to look at me in the eye and tell me that it was not the watch, with the wrong feedback it gave and the distraction it provoked, that robbed her of her A-goal. She just stayed silent.

I will be rereading this thread for watch suggestions but to focus on DD specific needs would appreciate your ideas keeping the following in mind.

Requirements:
  • Fits on small delicate girl wrist
  • Fast GPS locking.
  • Extremely precise reading. That is probably multiple GPS locks with excellent data correction if building or trees around.
  • Something an Elite runner would trust to get reliable feedback on a 5000m.
Nice to have:
  • Must look good on a teenager girl
  • Can give pace intervals
  • Can warn if outside of pace zone
  • Can track triathlon
  • Could be used for trail running
  • Has good battery life
  • Can be loaded into NRC and/or Strava
Right now I am thinking Garmin Forunner 255 or Coros Apex 42mm but I am not sure if those will be good enough in the mid to long term. I know that the Coros doesn’t work with NRC.
I just bought the 255S after my previous Garmin of four years started tracking my time slower as well. I knew something was wrong because I know my paces and it didn't feel right to me. I do like the Forerunners because they're rather easy to follow and this is my third model. I started with the 55, went to the 245, and now have the 255.

A year ago, DD decided that she wanted to get herself (with her hard work money) a watch to help with her pacing and so she would not have to run with her phone in her hands to do so. She bought an Apple Watch SE NRC and that worked well until a few weeks ago. Apple recommended to reset to factory settings and it was ok.

With that watch, she did improve tremendously her 5k time in the last year. But, at her last race, her watch completely misled her. During the race it was giving her erroneous paces and after the finish line she was crying looking at her time until I told her her real time which was 33 seconds faster than what her watch was telling her.

As a mom, I don’t want indulge a kid by buying a new watch and as a kid she doesn’t want a new watch.

As a coach, I insist that she gets the proper tool for her level. When we debriefed the race later that day, I asked her to look at me in the eye and tell me that it was not the watch, with the wrong feedback it gave and the distraction it provoked, that robbed her of her A-goal. She just stayed silent.

I will be rereading this thread for watch suggestions but to focus on DD specific needs would appreciate your ideas keeping the following in mind.

Requirements:
  • Fast GPS locking.
  • Extremely precise reading. That is probably multiple GPS locks with excellent data correction if building or trees around.
Nice to have:
  • Can track triathlon
  • Has good battery life
Right now I am thinking Garmin Forunner 255 or Coros Apex 42mm but I am not sure if those will be good enough in the mid to long term. I know that the Coros doesn’t work with NRC.

Was this a track race or road/cross country? If it was a track she will want a watch that has a track mode which will be more precise than relying on only GPS. The newer Garmin watches with track mode will offer a more accurate reading than even the same watch in standard running mode.

For fast GPS lock and accuracy with buildings and trees around check out this article from DC Rainmaker. The most accurate GPS will be from the watches with dual-frequency GPS. My suggestion would be the Forerunner 255S based on the list. It checks all of the requirements and I think all of the nice to haves other than the first one which is subjective.

NRC and Strava should be linked to Connect so the watch doesn't matter. I never used NRC but that is how Strava works. The watch syncs with Connect and then Connect has a connector to Strava.

Was this a track race or road/cross country? If it was a track she will want a watch that has a track mode which will be more precise than relying on only GPS. The newer Garmin watches with track mode will offer a more accurate reading than even the same watch in standard running mode.

For fast GPS lock and accuracy with buildings and trees around check out this article from DC Rainmaker. The most accurate GPS will be from the watches with dual-frequency GPS. My suggestion would be the Forerunner 255S based on the list. It checks all of the requirements and I think all of the nice to haves other than the first one which is subjective.

NRC and Strava should be linked to Connect so the watch doesn't matter. I never used NRC but that is how Strava works. The watch syncs with Connect and then Connect has a connector to Strava.
Apple watch now supports Track mode, but it's a little different than Garmin's. Rather than training the watch on your track, the Apple watch relies on a database of tracks across the country. You would want to be sure your track is supported.

Requirements:
  • Fast GPS locking.
Nice to have:
  • Can track triathlon
  • Has good battery life
I might suggest a footpod, such as Stryd, for good accuracy in areas with trees or tall buildings. It will pair with many different watches. I can pair it with both my Garmin Fenix 6s and my Apple Watch (with the Stryd app).

I might suggest a footpod, such as Stryd, for good accuracy in areas with trees or tall buildings. It will pair with many different watches. I can pair it with both my Garmin Fenix 6s and my Apple Watch (with the Stryd app).
This is my recommendation too. Buy her a Stryd instead of replacing a watch that seems to be working pretty well. Stryd requires no GPS, is dead in accurate for pace and distance, and will also allow her to use power as a tool instead of relying on pace.

Race Report - 2022 Plano Balloon Festival Half-Marathon ***NEW PR***

Goal: 2:20-2:25 (~ 10:40 to 11:05 per mile)
Actual: 2:23:46 (10:59/mile) **PR**

I wrote a much more detailed report in my training journal, but: I'm very happy with this result!

This was almost 13 minutes faster than my old PR (2:36:05) and right in line with my expectations, despite punishingly high temperature and humidity (81 + 69 finishing Temp + Dew).
IMG_3648.jpeg

This result predicts a ~4:55 marathon finish time, which aligns with my goal of a sub-5:00 marathon at WDW in January. I have a lot more work to do -- I literally thought "there's no way I could do two of these" as I crossed the 12-mile marker -- but I'm really gratified to see hard work paying off.

I am a huge Garmin guy (bought stock in the company - not my wisest move recently). I have the 255. My first ever new watch. I usually by a two year old model of eBay. Now my first 255 had to be sent back but the second one has been relatively great. It did a weird re-start about 10 minutes before my race the other weekend. Note my 645 went into some weird mode in December on race weekend too.

The 255 is everything I need for a triathlon watch ( I have a 920xt that I sold when I bought the 255) and a daily driver on my wrist (sold a 230 too).

I think this was a QOTD a couple of months ago and the general consensus was to find a shoe that works well for you and use that. Racing flats or stuff like alphaflys or next% were not training shoes, so not really applicable for your situation.

I would keep an eye on the variance in drop on your shoes if you end up in something different, or if you try using a few different shoes for different things since that's something that can cause injury because it changes how your calves load (or something like that.)
I have settled on Saucony as my brand. I tend to rotate through at least 2 pairs. My biggest issue is I will buy the same shoe, different colors and get a different fit. I has this before with Zoot too; where the shoes get made in different factories?

I wrote a much more detailed report in my training journal, but: I'm very happy with this result!

This was almost 13 minutes faster than my old PR (2:36:05) and right in line with my expectations, despite punishingly high temperature and humidity (81 + 69 finishing Temp + Dew).
View attachment 705435

This result predicts a ~4:55 marathon finish time, which aligns with my goal of a sub-5:00 marathon at WDW in January. I have a lot more work to do -- I literally thought "there's no way I could do two of these" as I crossed the 12-mile marker -- but I'm really gratified to see hard work paying off.
Congrats on the new PR and absolutely smashing your old time!! Just think how fast you could be if the weather cooled off 😝

I don't have watch advice, I just hope your daughter was still proud of her performance despite the mishaps. She has amazing talent 👏
Yes, once she got her real results i.e. after the five minutes of shock and despair when she thought she had slowed down despite her training and how she felt she had given it all, she was super happy and proud of her performance. 🤩 Her coach (me) is really impressed!

She was also very mature knowing that her dream goal was just a number and that improving is what she was after (did I mention, it’s a PR!).

Was this a track race or road/cross country?
Road racing. We don’t know where her interest will be in the future.

Thank you all for the answers!

View attachment 705435

Congrats! That is awesome!

Disney is killing me on this! There is one at Hollywood Studios the night before the 5K of Marathon Weekend and one at the Magic Kingdom the Monday after the Marathon. What to do? What to do?
Monday after the Marathon, of course. You didn’t want to sleep at all, right? 😂😂

I’m going to do MK the night after the Princess Half, and maybe HS the night before the Princess Expo

Monday after the Marathon, of course. You didn’t want to sleep at all, right? 😂😂

Actually, the one that is more tempting is the Hollywood Studios night. I haven't been to HS in many years since before Toy Story Land opened. But that would just be insanity going into Dopey, right? Right?

Kind of a dumb question. In the market for a new phone. Do any of you guys run with a larger phone like the iPhone 13 Pro Max or iPhone 14 Pro Max? If so, is it that much of a difference than running with a smaller phone. Last MW I ran with my iPhone XR in my running belt no problem. Thinking about upgrading to a Pro Max model but having some thoughts that it may be too big to run comfortably in the running belt and the additional weight for the longer distance runs.

Kind of a dumb question. In the market for a new phone. Do any of you guys run with a larger phone like the iPhone 13 Pro Max or iPhone 14 Pro Max? If so, is it that much of a difference than running with a smaller phone. Last MW I ran with my iPhone XR in my running belt no problem. Thinking about upgrading to a Pro Max model but having some thoughts that it may be too big to run comfortably in the running belt and the additional weight for the longer distance runs.
I wouldn’t consider that to be a dumb question. In fact, it was this reason why I chose the 13 Pro instead of the Pro Max.

I think the weight is negligible really. I don't think you'll notice it all that much. The size can matter though. I have a 12 Plus Max or whatever they were calling the largest phone at that time and it doesn't often fit in pockets designed for smaller phones. I don't mind running with it, but there are places it doesn't fit so I would check it in your running belt before committing to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter