The Running Thread - 2020

I am sitting here feeling a bit defeated today. It is my run time but I am inside because I know I need to sit it out. More defeating is the why and my inability to figure out how to get around it, so I am here asking for opinions.

I want to get faster. I have tried adding fartleks to my runs and I end up with sore hips for the next three days. I cannot imagine having to take extra days off (or hurt while I sit, stand, or walk) is part of the process. I can imagine that my stride is different or I hit the ground harder when I am trying to go faster and this is part of the problem, but I am out of ideas on how to circumvent this other than quit trying or find something new to do. I'm now frustrated that I am not getting faster, that I feel like I have the hips of an 80 year old, and I think even slow easy runs are probably not advisable. Any thoughts?

I am sitting here feeling a bit defeated today. It is my run time but I am inside because I know I need to sit it out. More defeating is the why and my inability to figure out how to get around it, so I am here asking for opinions.

I want to get faster. I have tried adding fartleks to my runs and I end up with sore hips for the next three days. I cannot imagine having to take extra days off (or hurt while I sit, stand, or walk) is part of the process. I can imagine that my stride is different or I hit the ground harder when I am trying to go faster and this is part of the problem, but I am out of ideas on how to circumvent this other than quit trying or find something new to do. I'm now frustrated that I am not getting faster, that I feel like I have the hips of an 80 year old, and I think even slow easy runs are probably not advisable. Any thoughts?

Have you tried strength training? I'm really, really bad at keeping up with strength training, but last fall I vowed to just do 20 minute sessions twice a week. It doesn't seem like much, but I have noticed that my speed & tempo run workouts seem easier.

Getting faster is hard and can be painful! The first thing I would look at is your cadence. When you are doing the fartleks, how does your cadence compare to your normal running? If your cadence stays the same or only goes up by a little, then you are likely over striding during the faster portion. Over striding moves the impact point of each stride further away from your center of mass and can definitely cause stress and pain in hips, knees, etc. The other thing you can do is to ensure that you are routinely stretching out your hip flexors and consider going to a PT who does running gait analysis who can tell you if you need to work on hip position or any other flaws in your form.

QOTD: Todays question is a suggestion from a fellow poster. Recently runDisney announced "Club runDisney" with different levels. If you were to create this for Disney, what would you change and what price would you put to it? What are you thoughts on the current setup as is?
I don't think its necessary however if we do need it here is what I would do.

Silver - $75
Card
Magnet
Jacket
Tier one pricing throughout the year
Special bib pick up area at the expo

Gold - $150
Everything in Silver
Early expo access
Option to have bib sent to your resort
$20 race discount, can be used for races or challenges
Access to expo lounge with snacks and soft drinks

Platinum - $300
Everything above
$50 discount on challenges
Pre-post race tent space with meet and greet and snacks/drinks
Guaranteed entry into any runDisney race

This is actual stuff with value. Not the nonsense they have announced.

These are the kinds of things the club should have. In the end the most important aspect of any club is that it is not a direct money maker itself. It should return more value than it costs. If it costs $100 then you should get back >$100 in actual quantifiable value. The club should be structured to encourage the members to run more races and that is the mechanism that is used to drive profit from the club. On its own it should be a loss leader.

I don't even think it needs tiers since the more you use it the more value you would get and the more money Disney would make. I do think having a FL resident club in addition to the standard club would be good if it is created around people that don't need a hotel stay while on property and can make the decision to run closer to race time since they don't need to arrange for flights and hotels.

My club would look something like:

• 10% discount on the price of the race registration and guaranteed entry up to 90 days from race weekend.
  • Club pin for each race you do (a pin for each race in a challenge).
  • Early expo entry for all club members
  • Some form of resort discount to encourage longer stays tiered by hotel class
  • A points system that accumulates to earn rewards. This would need some additional thought but something like 1 point for each mile you race rounded to the closest number (3 for a 5K to 26 for a marathon) and then your points earn you extras. When you get to certain thresholds you get a reward. 10 points you get RunDisney ears, at 100 you get a jacket. Something link that.
  • Some indication on your bib that you are a club member.

The FL resident club would swap out the resort discounts but move the guaranteed registration to 30 days and maybe add some restaurant discounts during race weekends.

I don't know what the price would be, I'd have to go do some math, but if you do every race in a year the cumulative savings from the race registration, any hotel stays, and the value of the pins and rewards would be a higher value than the cost of the package. It should be a win-win financially for both parties. For the runner because they get something of value and for Disney because the points and discounts encourages more races on aggregate than people are doing now.

Time to call in the expert opinions here, @DopeyBadger and anyone that uses low heart rate training.
I’ll try to keep it as short as possible, should I run slower? Based on past advice I have slowed my long run considerably and in the 2-1/2 years I have been seriously running I have noticed huge gains in speed and endurance. What doesn’t seem to be improving is my easy run heart rate. I have always been higher than expected, at 48 my true max heart rate is 195. I have verified my watch readings twice with a chest strap in a workout at 170 bpm and with both a strap and physically counting at 150 so I have to trust my data for the most part. It should be noted that at 165 I can converse easily and really feel like it’s efortless. I don’t really feel out of breath until around 180. Going with that max rate and my research my long runs shouldn’t be more than 70% which is 136-137 bpm. Interestingly enough I came across Maffetone low hr training that states simply subtract your age from 180 and that is your easy workout which would be 132. To get that low I’m looking at 14 min miles maybe even 15. That seems crazy slow when my favorite run is 10 miles at 10 min/mile, I can run a 10k at 8:20/mile and run/walk a half at 8:21.
Do I need to slow down to see improvement?
And what would that do for my immediate future plans, running princess easy then focusing on speed between long runs in hopes of a 1:45 half at Star Wars?
I afraid that if I don’t start getting the hr down I’m going to plateau and not be able to improve overall speed, but maybe I should just keep at what I’m doing (usually around 11 min easy run/160 bpm and 12 min really easy run/150 bpm) and be more patient, maybe I’m looking for too much improvement in a short time?
Thanks for any input

In late 2018 I started to do a lot more slow running to work on my underlying endurance. @DopeyBadger gave you some great information. I read Primal Endurance which does a good job of breaking down pace along with the research by Dr. Maffetone and his MAF Method. In short start with 180 and subtract your age and that is the pace you should run your bulk of mileage in. If you are 48 then you'd run with a heart rate of 132. It seems really slow and the pace I had to run to stay in my zone was minutes a miles slower than I was used to but it slowly got better when I did subsequent MAF tests.

The advice I here from running coaches on improving speed is to work on turnover, stride length, or both. To move the same distance in a shorter amount of time requires one or both of those to improve. Adding speed is as much neurological as it is physical.

Googling "working on speed and leg turnover" will get you a lot of articles but I have gotten good advice listening to the Ask the Coaches Podcasts from Endurance Planet. I mention them a lot because the coaches they interview actually work on this in real life. Search through the show notes for what you are looking for and you'll find good advice.

Last edited:

Seems like two separate questions to me, but inter-related.

1) Why do I have sore hips after speed work?

I'm not a Dr or PT, so I certainly can't say for sure. How debilitating is the hip soreness? Because I certainly don't feel super great right after a speed workout. And after races the soreness can certainly linger for days. It's hard for me to say whether the soreness is expected or unexpected. Like, after a hard workout, my body generally has no plans on agreeing to another hard day for a few days. My body in general is sore all over. The easy runs post-hard days feel a lot stiffer than pre-hard days. But an easy run normally causes me little to no soreness and I could go and do another easy run in 24hrs or less.

Sounds like the issue is bilateral. So possibly not a cambered road or having something in one hand in not the other (like a water bottle). Maybe a shoe thing? Do your older shoes need replacing, or possibly a different pair of shoes would be better for speed work? I think strength work, cadence, and running form are also great places to look as suggested prior. I'd also look at the structure of your fartleks. Since by definition it just means "speed play", fartlek is a pretty general term which can lead to a nearly limitless number of workout structures. So when you're doing speed play, what are you doing during the workout? What's the pace relative to current fitness, interval rep, resting interval duration/distance, running interval duration/distance, warmup and cooldown distance/duration and pace? Or is it simply a "feel" type speed play where you just go out and speed up/slow down whenever it feels right with no data to review? Is there a pace between "easy" and "fartlek" that does not cause problems? Is there a sustained pace that doesn't cause issues, but once you cross pace "x" is generally when your hips get sore post-run?

2) How can I get faster?

In my opinion, the number one way to get faster is consistency. The more consistent you are over weeks, months, and years the faster you will get.

Behind consistency, I would say running at an appropriate pace based on your current fitness level. With the overwhelming majority of training being slow as to not impede your ability to do the hard days well and to still reap underlying benefits.

And probably thirdly, I would say structured progressional training plans. Structured does not mean it has to occur on M, W, F, Sa every week as I believe you've stated in the past that a set weekly schedule wouldn't work for you personally. Structured simply means that in a given week you have certain workouts to accomplish. So maybe 4 workouts a week and one week it is M, T, Sa, Su and a different week is W, R, F, Su. Additionally, that in six consecutive weeks (or different sized smaller/larger mini-cycle blocks) you have a certain type of workout that you do. And that workout over the course of the those weeks gets progressively and incrementally more difficult. This progressional structured style forces your body to make small but manageable adaptations over the course of several weeks. Such that the workout in week 1 might have been difficult, but by the time you get to Week 7 if you were to do the same workout it wouldn't be nearly as difficult. How a workout can become more difficult over weeks is by manipulating the key components. Either pace, duration at pace, volume at pace, resting interval duration, or resting interval pace. Something like:

3 x 1 mile HM Tempo w/ 0.5 mile RI
2 x 1.5 mile HM Tempo w/ 0.5 mile RI
2 mile HM Tempo + 0.5 mile RI + 1 mile HM Tempo
3 mile HM Tempo

In the case above, the pace (HM Tempo), volume at pace (3 miles), resting interval pace (slow), and resting interval duration (0.5 mile) are held constant. The only variable that is changing over the course of several weeks is the duration at pace. You're going from the same total volume split over several intervals to at the end doing the same volume but in one continuous bout. In general, you try and change only one, maybe two, of these variables at a time when the plan progresses during one of these mini-cycles. Progressing it too quickly can lead to a struggle for your body to either complete the workout or adapt appropriately to it.

And lastly, volume of training. Injuries and overtraining not withstanding, the more training you do, the faster you will be. There is obviously a limit to this. And this is something that should/can be progressively built over several training cycles/years. So while you may only be able to handle 4-5 hrs now before you get overly fatigued. Maybe in 1-2 years you could handle 6-7 hrs before you get overly fatigued. But generally speaking, more training will yield faster results. Once you start to get in the >9-10 hr a week range for running is when doing doubles has to be strongly considered. Because much more than 60 min in a run starts to infringe on its ability to still be defined as "easy". So that's when doing a 60 min morning run and 30 min evening run is "easier" than a 90 min evening run even at the same pace.

You already had great answers but the only thing I can think of is having a coach filming you when you run normally and when you do your fartleks to see if you change your stride in a way that could hurt your hips. Good luck!

Chiming in late here- to those thinking/dreaming about the DLP race weekend do it! Last year was my first rundisney experience, I did the challenge at princess and then soon afterwards decided to make DLP and the Castle to Chateau happen. I did all three races at DLP, figured if I had already traveled all the way there from Canada, might as well! I've been lucky enough to have visited France before so the trip was not focused on getting much touring in, more taking things slow and seeing what the day brought with a couple small things planned here day. I was in France for a week (Thursday to Wednesday), at DLP from Thursday to Sunday, then Sunday night moved into Paris till I flew home on Wednesday.

Race wise I had a blast! I am sure there is always something to be improved, but honestly right now as I write this nothing major is coming to mind. The course of the half was fantastic and had so much park time plus when you were not in the parks you were running in France, I could not wipe the smile off my face! Highly recommend!

Way behind on QOTD so here are the few I remember...

Coffee: Love it! Didn't start drinking it til we had the twins. The first 6 months are a bit of a blur and that is where the coffee came in. I don't feel like I wake up needing it but I have really come to enjoy the taste. I just drink regular drip coffee but I can always be talked in to stopping at Dunkin for their coffee.

Recovery: I will run the next day if its a 5k or 10k and maybe take a day off after a half. I have taken around a week off from the marathon or Goofy or Dopey the past few years.

Club RunDisney: such an obvious cash grab! I really liked some of your ideas that you all listed. I think there should be some type of loyalty or rewards program (i.e. - do more races, give some type of discount on a future race or even get registration for free). You can throw in special merch, early access to the expo, or even the Runners Square. Just hearing all the people being interviewed before the races marathon weekend confirms that people like coming back to do these races.

Time to call in the expert opinions here, @DopeyBadger and anyone that uses low heart rate training.
I’ll try to keep it as short as possible, should I run slower? Based on past advice I have slowed my long run considerably and in the 2-1/2 years I have been seriously running I have noticed huge gains in speed and endurance. What doesn’t seem to be improving is my easy run heart rate. I have always been higher than expected, at 48 my true max heart rate is 195. I have verified my watch readings twice with a chest strap in a workout at 170 bpm and with both a strap and physically counting at 150 so I have to trust my data for the most part. It should be noted that at 165 I can converse easily and really feel like it’s efortless. I don’t really feel out of breath until around 180. Going with that max rate and my research my long runs shouldn’t be more than 70% which is 136-137 bpm. Interestingly enough I came across Maffetone low hr training that states simply subtract your age from 180 and that is your easy workout which would be 132. To get that low I’m looking at 14 min miles maybe even 15. That seems crazy slow when my favorite run is 10 miles at 10 min/mile, I can run a 10k at 8:20/mile and run/walk a half at 8:21.
Do I need to slow down to see improvement?
And what would that do for my immediate future plans, running princess easy then focusing on speed between long runs in hopes of a 1:45 half at Star Wars?
I afraid that if I don’t start getting the hr down I’m going to plateau and not be able to improve overall speed, but maybe I should just keep at what I’m doing (usually around 11 min easy run/160 bpm and 12 min really easy run/150 bpm) and be more patient, maybe I’m looking for too much improvement in a short time?
Thanks for any input
Hardly an expert but I'm in same boat as you. The way I understand Maffetone, there's no magic number or equation (180 - age = HR) but that there's a HR level that allow you to train efficiently and not beat you body up. I would assume that means for every person, it's not going to be (180 - age = HR), that would be crazy, but a different number that can be found through trial and error. Could it be that since your max HR is 195, that you can add 10 extra HR to that number and not be penalized by it?

I would think it near impossible to have the same formula for everyone but I do see where low HR can be a benefit. After much research I really like the @DopeyBadger info (I believe it is the Karvonen formula) and will be using that to train for the next couple months. I may try the Maffetone method later when I am just running to keep a base and see how it goes.

Hardly an expert but I'm in same boat as you. The way I understand Maffetone, there's no magic number or equation (180 - age = HR) but that there's a HR level that allow you to train efficiently and not beat you body up. I would assume that means for every person, it's not going to be (180 - age = HR), that would be crazy, but a different number that can be found through trial and error. Could it be that since your max HR is 195, that you can add 10 extra HR to that number and not be penalized by it?

Have you tried strength training? I'm really, really bad at keeping up with strength training, but last fall I vowed to just do 20 minute sessions twice a week. It doesn't seem like much, but I have noticed that my speed & tempo run workouts seem easier.
Getting faster is hard and can be painful! The first thing I would look at is your cadence. When you are doing the fartleks, how does your cadence compare to your normal running? If your cadence stays the same or only goes up by a little, then you are likely over striding during the faster portion. Over striding moves the impact point of each stride further away from your center of mass and can definitely cause stress and pain in hips, knees, etc. The other thing you can do is to ensure that you are routinely stretching out your hip flexors and consider going to a PT who does running gait analysis who can tell you if you need to work on hip position or any other flaws in your form.
The advice I here from running coaches on improving speed is to work on turnover, stride length, or both. To move the same distance in a shorter amount of time requires one or both of those to improve. Adding speed is as much neurological as it is physical.
Googling "working on speed and leg turnover" will get you a lot of articles but I have gotten good advice listening to the Ask the Coaches Podcasts from Endurance Planet. I mention them a lot because the coaches they interview actually work on this in real life. Search through the show notes for what you are looking for and you'll find good advice.
Seems like two separate questions to me, but inter-related.

1) Why do I have sore hips after speed work?

I'm not a Dr or PT, so I certainly can't say for sure. How debilitating is the hip soreness? Because I certainly don't feel super great right after a speed workout. And after races the soreness can certainly linger for days. It's hard for me to say whether the soreness is expected or unexpected. Like, after a hard workout, my body generally has no plans on agreeing to another hard day for a few days. My body in general is sore all over. The easy runs post-hard days feel a lot stiffer than pre-hard days. But an easy run normally causes me little to no soreness and I could go and do another easy run in 24hrs or less.

Sounds like the issue is bilateral. So possibly not a cambered road or having something in one hand in not the other (like a water bottle). Maybe a shoe thing? Do your older shoes need replacing, or possibly a different pair of shoes would be better for speed work? I think strength work, cadence, and running form are also great places to look as suggested prior. I'd also look at the structure of your fartleks. Since by definition it just means "speed play", fartlek is a pretty general term which can lead to a nearly limitless number of workout structures. So when you're doing speed play, what are you doing during the workout? What's the pace relative to current fitness, interval rep, resting interval duration/distance, running interval duration/distance, warmup and cooldown distance/duration and pace? Or is it simply a "feel" type speed play where you just go out and speed up/slow down whenever it feels right with no data to review? Is there a pace between "easy" and "fartlek" that does not cause problems? Is there a sustained pace that doesn't cause issues, but once you cross pace "x" is generally when your hips get sore post-run?

2) How can I get faster?

In my opinion, the number one way to get faster is consistency. The more consistent you are over weeks, months, and years the faster you will get.

Behind consistency, I would say running at an appropriate pace based on your current fitness level. With the overwhelming majority of training being slow as to not impede your ability to do the hard days well and to still reap underlying benefits.

And probably thirdly, I would say structured progressional training plans. Structured does not mean it has to occur on M, W, F, Sa every week as I believe you've stated in the past that a set weekly schedule wouldn't work for you personally. Structured simply means that in a given week you have certain workouts to accomplish. So maybe 4 workouts a week and one week it is M, T, Sa, Su and a different week is W, R, F, Su. Additionally, that in six consecutive weeks (or different sized smaller/larger mini-cycle blocks) you have a certain type of workout that you do. And that workout over the course of the those weeks gets progressively and incrementally more difficult. This progressional structured style forces your body to make small but manageable adaptations over the course of several weeks. Such that the workout in week 1 might have been difficult, but by the time you get to Week 7 if you were to do the same workout it wouldn't be nearly as difficult. How a workout can become more difficult over weeks is by manipulating the key components. Either pace, duration at pace, volume at pace, resting interval duration, or resting interval pace. Something like:

3 x 1 mile HM Tempo w/ 0.5 mile RI
2 x 1.5 mile HM Tempo w/ 0.5 mile RI
2 mile HM Tempo + 0.5 mile RI + 1 mile HM Tempo
3 mile HM Tempo

In the case above, the pace (HM Tempo), volume at pace (3 miles), resting interval pace (slow), and resting interval duration (0.5 mile) are held constant. The only variable that is changing over the course of several weeks is the duration at pace. You're going from the same total volume split over several intervals to at the end doing the same volume but in one continuous bout. In general, you try and change only one, maybe two, of these variables at a time when the plan progresses during one of these mini-cycles. Progressing it too quickly can lead to a struggle for your body to either complete the workout or adapt appropriately to it.

And lastly, volume of training. Injuries and overtraining not withstanding, the more training you do, the faster you will be. There is obviously a limit to this. And this is something that should/can be progressively built over several training cycles/years. So while you may only be able to handle 4-5 hrs now before you get overly fatigued. Maybe in 1-2 years you could handle 6-7 hrs before you get overly fatigued. But generally speaking, more training will yield faster results. Once you start to get in the >9-10 hr a week range for running is when doing doubles has to be strongly considered. Because much more than 60 min in a run starts to infringe on its ability to still be defined as "easy". So that's when doing a 60 min morning run and 30 min evening run is "easier" than a 90 min evening run even at the same pace.
You already had great answers but the only thing I can think of is having a coach filming you when you run normally and when you do your fartleks to see if you change your stride in a way that could hurt your hips. Good luck!

Thank you all for your input. I have been more consistent with strength training and yoga for the last year, and while I do not see an impact to my running practice I keep doing it because I believe it is good for me.

I agree with the comment that I used an unspecific term. Most recently, I had tried to run an easy mile, and then take the second mile and pick a point on my route a bit in front of me and try to go faster to get to it. These alternating 'run faster' or 'run normal' segments lasted about 30-45 seconds. I have no idea if this is an appropriate length of time, nor if I should be targeting a specific pace. I am generally comfortable running at 160 but in the sections I was attempting to run fast the unsustainable number was in the range of 180-190. It was a bit different when I tried on the TM, but more structured with fast over a specific time or distance, but still not targeting a specific pace just 'go fast' or 'go slowish' In all cases I felt terrible afterward. So while yes, the latest run was on a cambered surface, the TM was not so I do not think it is that, or shoes.

I imagine that changing cadence would have to result in a difference in stride. So someone watching would be able to say it is different, but would that not be the expectation?
Even if it the stride did not change, and your leg swung the same distance and your foot hit in the same spot, would you expect the impact would still be higher because the speed of the leg through the arc would be faster? So does faster turn over just mean more impact so yes, it is going to hurt more?
I am not sure if there is a particular pace that is the issue, but I suppose this is something I could consider.

I agree with the comment that I used an unspecific term. Most recently, I had tried to run an easy mile, and then take the second mile and pick a point on my route a bit in front of me and try to go faster to get to it. These alternating 'run faster' or 'run normal' segments lasted about 30-45 seconds. I have no idea if this is an appropriate length of time, nor if I should be targeting a specific pace. I am generally comfortable running at 160 but in the sections I was attempting to run fast the unsustainable number was in the range of 180-190. It was a bit different when I tried on the TM, but more structured with fast over a specific time or distance, but still not targeting a specific pace just 'go fast' or 'go slowish' In all cases I felt terrible afterward. So while yes, the latest run was on a cambered surface, the TM was not so I do not think it is that, or shoes.

I imagine that changing cadence would have to result in a difference in stride. So someone watching would be able to say it is different, but would that not be the expectation?
Even if it the stride did not change, and your leg swung the same distance and your foot hit in the same spot, would you expect the impact would still be higher because the speed of the leg through the arc would be faster? So does faster turn over just mean more impact so yes, it is going to hurt more?
I am not sure if there is a particular pace that is the issue, but I suppose this is something I could consider.

I would say yes, the expectation is that when you run faster it will look different. It's likely to have a faster cadence (which it does in this case going from 160 to 180) and require quite a bit more effort. Additionally, these faster paced segments will exacerbate inefficiencies in the stride. So when you pick up the pace the impact will be bigger. Such that if your form is slightly worse when running at a faster pace it's going to increase a certain problem (possibly the hip). Where people tend to get in the most trouble when attempting to pick up the pace is trying to reach their foot further ahead of themselves to cover more ground. That's when the angle of the footfall becomes further away from the center of mass underneath your torso and most often leads to injuries (usually bone related). But with a dramatic change in cadence like you're seeing I'd venture to guess the probability is lower. Since you're doing what I would normally suggest which is instead of reaching forward further with your leg, instead try and move your leg faster through the leg swing sequence (ie more spm).

The increased impact can change necessarily your shoe's response between an easy day and a hard day. So it's still a consideration that some shoes are better at one over the other.

My suggestion is to try the same exercise except to go slower during the fast section. Try something in-between your easy pace and your now fast pace. See if that still causes an issue. Because given the disparity in cadence, it sounds like you've got a reasonable gap in paces as it is. My difference between 160 and 190 is probably on the order of at least a few min/mile. A quick look at a recent 3k paced run shows my easy warm-up was a 8:45 min/mile at 177spm and then 3 min at 5:47 pace at 202 spm. Even that 3 min/mile difference still pales in comparison to your +30 increase in spm. If you send me some recent race times (either here or PM), then I can send you what I believe to be your relative current fitness pace ranges to get a general idea of some pace goals to aim at.

I’m going to go ahead and start this. We leave for Universal tomorrow so there’s no way I’m getting another run in this month.

January Total Miles: 107.6 - PR! (It never occurred to me I would hit triple digits)
Average Pace: 13:35

Other training news:
- I did not miss any training runs
- I hit all paces even on speed workouts
- I lost 11 lbs

I’d call January a training success.

January running summary - solid month, 176km and unlike January 2019, no injury!

I’m busy working on a running project running all the streets in Auckland. This is a multi year project and one that is unlikely to ever be finished - I’m using a website called CityStrides to track progress and their definition of Auckland is the wider regional area, with over 11,000 streets. fortunately it is broken in to smaller districts, the one I live in is 99.5% complete. If anyone is interested in following along I can be found on strava as user Simon McNaughton. I’ve also just started an insta account under everystreetsimon. My Insta game isn’t strong so I’m getting tips from my 13yo daughter...

happy running everyone!

First the January update and then a question. Here is my January summary, keeping in mind that something like 49.3 of the miles are from Dopey:

January Summary
Total mileage: 75.70
Total time: 14:47:12
Average pace: 11:46/mile
Average HR: 147 bpm

I enjoyed Dopey very much despite being limited to interval running to protect my hamstring. It's feeling somewhat better now and I'm trying to get back to my normal training regimen which has led me to this question/concern:

I spent about 6 weeks running 2/1 intervals so that I could get through Dopey with no ill effects. I took almost two weeks off before returning to training. I would like to attempt a 100k at the end of March, so I need to ramp the mileage back up pretty quickly. I started back up with runs at the pre-injury "easy" pace without intervals last weekend. They have been much harder than I expected and now my Garmin is giving me the "Overreaching" training status. I need to make a decision in the next week or so to register or not register for the ultra, so how do I make that decision? Do I continue what I've been doing, counting on my body to "remember" that those paces are easy and catch up, eventually? Do I need to slow down further to make the runs actually "easy" while maintaining the training volume? Am I trying to do too much too quickly given the circumstances and need to give up on the 100k goal entirely? I'd appreciated any advice people can give.

@camaker my advice and that is all it is. I am no doctor and not a coach like @DopeyBadger whose advice i respect way more than mine.

I think you might be over reaching for that goal of 100k. i think end of March is too soon. You have been injured a bit and i think you need to recover before going for that 100k. I would be looking for a 100k later in the year i just think end of March is too soon.

That being said if you are set on it. Then i think you should slow down and do easy runs easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter