The Running Thread - 2020

I just wanted to say I did my two hours. It was pretty hilly and yesterday did a hike that kicked my butt, not sure why the hike did but it did, so really happy I got my two hours in. Like I said life is ruining my running plans but staying active so going with it.

I just wanted to say I did my two hours. It was pretty hilly and yesterday did a hike that kicked my butt, not sure why the hike did but it did, so really happy I got my two hours in. Like I said life is ruining my running plans but staying active so going with it.
I had a two hours training plan yesterday as well! I took a different route and discovered a nice area, but part of the route was not accessible so I had to detour. I called DH to pick me up at some point but he did not answer for a while. So I ended up running two hours and a half or 23 or so km. That was my longest run by a lot since Dopey.

And, like you, running is not supposed to interfere with life... So I came back, help taking down the tent in our backyard while stretching, showered, did some laundry and went biking with the family: I brought them to the same place I ran.

ETA: If anyone is significantly increasing their training duration, I highly recommend not to do like me and forget body glide. Ouch.

Last edited:
I'll have to get used to saying this.....did my longest run ever. 6 miles. (really i did 6.2 so i could say i did a 10k) I no longer get the full-leg aches that I was having now that I have the new shoes, so that's a big win in my book! This week will be interesting for me to work at getting all of my runs in since DH decided last-minute that we are doing a 4 day camping trip, and I'll either have to skip rest days to get my long run in before we leave or do it on sunday afternoon instead of friday.

Trail people - does a trail name count if bestowed upon one on a very urban - albeit it wooded and dirt, so trail-ish! - trail?! Because I am apparently now known as "Skirts," as deemed by one of the senior citizens I see almost every day in a local nature preserve, and because he sees me in running skirts most of the time. :rotfl:

Trail people - does a trail name count if bestowed upon one on a very urban - albeit it wooded and dirt, so trail-ish!

My opinion is that it counts. I'm running the trails more and more at the local college. Same deal, (sub)urban but wooded and dirt. I suspect my trail name will not be as good as yours. I run in compression shorts and shirtless lately. I'm thinking everyone calls me 'Creeper' or 'Stalker'.

Good Morning! I’m in need of some advise on treadmills. First, I really, really dislike running on a treadmill but summer thunderstorms and heat indexes over 100 have me considering buying one. My problem is I use Jeff Galloway run/walk. I last looked at a treadmill about 6 years ago and it appears that runs are mostly done through apps or downloads these days.

Does anyone use a treadmill with run/walk? Do apps/downloads like ifit have run/walk programs where speed, intervals and distance is adjustable? Any suggestions are appreciate! I’m feeling extremely old technology wise right now!

Does anyone use a treadmill with run/walk?
Yep. I just set my Garmin or phone app (iSmoothRun, Runkeeper) to whatever intervals I want to use and manually change the speed each time. It's much easier on my ancient home treadmill, which has a slider to adjust speed, than the treadmills at my local gym, which have buttons that need to be pressed multiple times. I've used hotel treadmills that have a couple pre-set speed buttons, which is nice. I'd say really look at any prospective treadmill's speed adjustment thingies to see how they'll feel to you needing to use them frequently.

ETA: sooo many typos

Last edited:
Good Morning! I’m in need of some advise on treadmills. First, I really, really dislike running on a treadmill but summer thunderstorms and heat indexes over 100 have me considering buying one. My problem is I use Jeff Galloway run/walk. I last looked at a treadmill about 6 years ago and it appears that runs are mostly done through apps or downloads these days.

Does anyone use a treadmill with run/walk? Do apps/downloads like ifit have run/walk programs where speed, intervals and distance is adjustable? Any suggestions are appreciate! I’m feeling extremely old technology wise right now!
I would monitor the intervals in my head and just adjust the speed manually using the buttons on the treadmills at my gym when I trained there. I suppose it's kind of a pain, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

I know there are a lot of apps out there for treadmills but I'm not sure if any can be set to automate a run/walk.

I also hate the treadmill but my wife wanted one so we bit the bullet a few months back and got a Sole F63. I did a bunch of research and for around $1,000 it seemed like the best option. I have to say it is very well built and I think it is a good value for the money. I don't use their app, which has some mixed reviews, but it has a second speed control on the left hand rail that makes quick speed changes really easy.

I don’t run/walk, but I just tested this out with ifit (and my NordicTrack 2450). You are able to create workouts on your computer, save them, and then use them on your treadmill.
I didn’t look at it too closely, but I think it will be a pain to initially set up shorter intervals for run/walk. I didn’t see a way to ‘repeat’. So for each interval you would need to put in the time for that interval and speed (mph) for an extended length. I think I would set it up once with the longest time you would ever consider running on your treadmill, and then use that workout each time you run, but stop when you get to the distance (or time) you had planned for that run.

Yep. I just set my Garmin or phone app (iSmoothRun, Runkeeper) to whatever intervals I want to use and manually change the speed each time. It's much easier on my ancient home treadmill, which has a slider to adjust speed, than the treadmills at my local gym, which have buttons that need to be pressed multiple times. I've used hotel treadmills that have a couple pre-set speed buttons, which is nice. I'd say really look at any prospective treadmill's speed adjustment thingies to see how they'll feel to you needing to use them frequently.

ETA: sooo many typos
I would monitor the intervals in my head and just adjust the speed manually using the buttons on the treadmills at my gym when I trained there. I suppose it's kind of a pain, but I got used to it pretty quickly.
I know there are a lot of apps out there for treadmills but I'm not sure if any can be set to automate a run/walk.

I also hate the treadmill but my wife wanted one so we bit the bullet a few months back and got a Sole F63. I did a bunch of research and for around $1,000 it seemed like the best option. I have to say it is very well built and I think it is a good value for the money. I don't use their app, which has some mixed reviews, but it has a second speed control on the left hand rail that makes quick speed changes really easy.
I don’t run/walk, but I just tested this out with ifit (and my NordicTrack 2450). You are able to create workouts on your computer, save them, and then use them on your treadmill.
I didn’t look at it too closely, but I think it will be a pain to initially set up shorter intervals for run/walk. I didn’t see a way to ‘repeat’. So for each interval you would need to put in the time for that interval and speed (mph) for an extended length. I think I would set it up once with the longest time you would ever consider running on your treadmill, and then use that workout each time you run, but stop when you get to the distance (or time) you had planned for that run.

Thanks guys! I looked at Sole which can be programmed for intervals and the ifit app which has a couple of ways to set up an interval run as well as possible user runs in its library. I just need to program a 36 minute maintenance run.

In the time of coronavirus, Sole appears out of stock online. I’m hoping to check local stores so I can see one in person. Sole seems a better treadmill but ifit a better app and luckily multiple brands use it.

Again thanks!

Thanks guys! I looked at Sole which can be programmed for intervals and the ifit app which has a couple of ways to set up an interval run as well as possible user runs in its library. I just need to program a 36 minute maintenance run.

In the time of coronavirus, Sole appears out of stock online. I’m hoping to check local stores so I can see one in person. Sole seems a better treadmill but ifit a better app and luckily multiple brands use it.

Again thanks!

Our treadmill was on back order and it took a little over a month to actually get it. They are also not doing deliveries into the house or setting it up, at least they weren't as of June, so once it is in your garage you'll need to get it inside and set up. It was a super easy setup with only 9 steps and while one person could do it having two is better.

Life is good: 3 pair of Ghost 12s in the cache (gray this time), from the local running store and I'm toeing the line tomorrow! I'm doing the Awesome 80s 5K. I'm not in 5K shape and I have a cranky hamstring, so I'm not sure if I'm racing or fun running. (Hint: I know). Plus I learned last year the Awesome 80s is the temperature at the start.

If it happens. That approval can be taken away just as fast if schools open, cases spike again, and we go back to essential businesses only. I hope it happens but until I'm on a start line I'm not taking even approved races for granted.
Without a doubt. Just interesting to see them moving forward.

Mini Race Report

8/15- @OldSlowGoofyGuy - Awesome 80s 5k (25:59 / 26:04) 16/83 Overall.

This is a small (80 runner) local 5K. The course is a rolling figure-8, with one significant 4% hill from about 1.75 to 2 miles. Nothing of scenic interest except a small portion next to Lake Lanier. It was a T+D of 150 at the start.

We had a socially distanced start. They painted 4 rows of Xs behind the start line, 6 ft apart. They started us 4 at a time, about 5 seconds apart. As soon as a group started, everyone moved up to the next X. It went pretty smoothly. Of course there were a couple of people that got to the start late and jammed in between Xs. These are the same jerks that park in the disabled parking spot, go the wrong way on every one-way grocery aisle, and then go through the 10 item checkout line with 25 items.

I was shooting for 25:59, but didn't quite make it. Half mile splits were 8:20, 8:19, 8:30, 8:54 (the hill), 8:18, 8:03. I was happy that the last one was the fastest.

No awards ceremony (not that I had to worry about it). It seemed like people were hanging out longer after the race, even though there was nothing to wait for except cheering on other runners. I think everyone was just happy to get back out and race.

The celebratory meal was Chick-fil-A eaten in my truck in a parking lot. Another sign of the times.

After the race. That's a leg brace, not wildly uneven shorts.

The cotton shirt is decent. A small logo on the front:

With a large design on the back. It's definitely a keeper, since it says 'Totally Socially Distanced Running'.

All in all a good day!

Realized it's probably time to replace my shoes...in theory I was going to keep track of the miles on them in the Garmin app but in practice I haven't actually looked at that in ages. Had a moment as I was putting them on when I realized the interior side of the heel was worn down to the next layer of fabric (and straight through to structural plastic in one place). Had another moment when I took them off and saw that the treads are flat in the high-wear areas.

Golly gee, wonder why I get sore feet after a run. I've got two untouched pairs in reserve, so it's not like there was any reason other than inattention for them to go this long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter