The Running Thread - 2020

July Totals:

Total Miles: 78.5
Average Pace: 12:48
Average HR: 118
Number of races: 2

Miles down a bit from the past four months. I took both races easy (10 miles and 14 miles); the first race because I had to given the conditions, the second race because it was the second week of my new @DopeyBadger training plan. My average HR was actually up a bit. Since my resting HR is 45 and it is not unusual to creep down into the high 30's a few times a night while sleeping it takes me a few miles of running to get above 100.

So sorry to hear about the flooded basement! DH and I had trouble with that for awhile until we were able to get our backyard regraded. So so frustrating to deal with.

To answer your other question: I often run on vacation. As some others have said, it's a nice way to see the area and burn some calories. I do try to do some planning ahead of time, such as seeing if there are trails/bike paths/greenways near where I will be or planning out urban routes.
Thankfully(?) both times it's flooded it's been a plumbing issue rather than drainage from the yard--different plumbing issue each time! Though we'd had some dampness and mold in one corner this past year and weren't able to find the source; it's actually kind of good in a way that things came to a head today since we think the leak that flooded it this morning had been a slow leak from a cracked pipe that finally burst and that it was where our other water damage was coming from earlier. And if not, at least now we have all the carpet out and we can give it a little while to see if anything gets wet again. Really hoping it was all from the pipe since seepage is a more insidious problem.

Sounds like the consensus is yes to running on vacation! Guess I'll toss my sneakers and a running skirt in my bag and see what I'm able to do; I'm not sure what the area will be like since we'll be hanging out at a friend's house in a semi-rural area. Could be good, could be bad.

Last edited:
In a bout of optimism/stupidity (cross out as applicable) I signed up for this year's Christmas Story Run. I really hope we are back to normalish by December but even if we aren't I want to keep my almost perfect streak alive and get this year's shirt and medal. I've paid for every year but was sick and ended up skipping one.

It won't feel like Christmas without my usual Christmas Races.

I did something I haven't done in years this morning, went for a trail run in the rain. There is something really soothing about the sound of rain in the trees on a trail run. Of course I say the same about running in falling snow so maybe I'm the weirdo.

On topic thought/question: I'm going to visit friends this coming week. I scheduled an off week but I'm trying to decide whether to bring my gear with me anyway to do some short runs. Who runs on vacation, and who, uh...doesn't?

Always. I would feel like I was really missing something if I didn't run on vacation. I also try to find a race if I can and it works with my schedule. I even found a race on my honeymoon and worked that in.

The silver lining is that I got myself a new bike, which is faster than my prior bike so I've really been enjoying riding it.

Highlight - I got a new bike! A Canyon Speedmax tri bike - it's sooooo pretty and I love it!

Hooray for new bikes! I miss my new bike. It’s at the factory in the US waiting for me to find a way to get back there to pick it up.

July 2020 Training Summary

Running duration = 7:19 hours
Running mileage = 44.3 miles
Average Pace = 9:55 min/mile (about 3.25 min/mile slower than estimated LT)
Average HR = 133 (68% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 15:01 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 249 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 175 watts
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 187 watts (a 40 watt increase since April)
Strength = 5:16 hours
Total Training Time = 27:37 hours

Well most of July was a bust. Just as I felt like I was turning a corner with an upper hamstring injury, I developed a lower hamstring injury. The raw power fitness was in a good place early in the month with a 4:48 min/mile uphill rep, but the aerobic fitness is no where to be seen at the moment (kind of by design). After consultation with my PT again, I decided just to shut things down for 10 days and see if I could clear up these hamstring issues. In all, it's taken about 3 months now, but after this morning's run I feel like I'm getting close to running pain free again. Just going to try and stay patient for a few more weeks, and then make some calls on what I plan to do for the Fall/Winter training cycle.

July 2020 Summary:

Definitely a mixed bag for me. A major work deadline wiped out the first half of the month and lack of motivation/laziness kicked in after that. In spite of all that, my numbers could look worse than they actually do.

33 miles.

Still debating about some virtual races for the fall. Maybe those will provide more motivation than I'm currently feeling.

****NOT a real ad****

For Sale: Motivation. Looking to sell excess motivation for running to anyone currently seeking a boost. Currently sidelined due to injury and am building up dangerous level of annoyance due to motivation overload. All offers accepted. 🏃‍♀️ 😁

On a side note....I am going to have a discussion with my PT about when I can start up again. Fingers crossed.

July 2020: A pathetic 36 miles. I haven't had a monthly total that low in 5 years.

On a positive note, I'm making progress with PT on the SI joints and I'm mostly pain free now. I'm also down 3 pounds, so I must be doing something right.

View attachment 514229
And now I have anxiety.

Yay, another michigander!! I haven't run that race, but I've seen it advertised in the past. Sounds like a beautiful course, I hope you get to run it.

So, should I be setting my treadmill at a very slight incline to make up for the fact that it “helps” me run? Like 1.0 or 1.5? Today felt good during my run (I really didn’t think that a 3 mile run could feel this easy this soon) but my ankle has been bothering me all afternoon and evening now. I did the brooks virtual shoe finder quiz and now I can’t figure out if I should order from them (return policy), order from prime (little bit less money and 2 day shipping), or try to fit in a stop at running fit tomorrow afternoon if they’re open.

Last edited:
I can’t figure out if I should order from them (return policy), order from prime (little bit less money and 2 day shipping), or try to fit in a stop at running fit tomorrow afternoon if they’re open.

I would advise you to go to a running specialty store and get a proper fitting. Sure, it may cost a few dollars more, but the (hopefully) professional personalized help should be well worth it. In 6 months (or whenever) when you are replacing the worn out shoes, then you can go online and save a few bucks. Or you can choose to shop locally and keep the small guys in business.

So, should I be setting my treadmill at a very slight incline to make up for the fact that it “helps” me run? Like 1.0 or 1.5? Today felt good during my run (I really didn’t think that a 3 mile run could feel this easy this soon) but my ankle has been bothering me all afternoon and evening now. I did the brooks virtual shoe finder quiz and now I can’t figure out if I should order from them (return policy), order from prime (little bit less money and 2 day shipping), or try to fit in a stop at running fit tomorrow afternoon if they’re open.
I think I’ve heard that you don’t need to set the treadmill to 1% unless you are running fast (7mph??? I don’t really remember). At OrangeTheory, we always set it to 1% or more if we are doing inclines that day. However, 1% on the OrangeTheory (FreeMotion) treadmills seems like a lower incline than 1% (maybe even 0%) on my home NordicTrack treadmill. 🤷‍♀️
Also, my footpod tends to match the distance pretty closely to the FreeMotion treadmills, but is a little more off on my home treadmill.

So, should I be setting my treadmill at a very slight incline to make up for the fact that it “helps” me run? Like 1.0 or 1.5?
I've never done this. What I will do, though, I mess with the incline every five or so minutes - up and down for very short times - just to vary the "terrain." It helps with both the mental and physical tedium, I find.

Today felt good during my run (I really didn’t think that a 3 mile run could feel this easy this soon) but my ankle has been bothering me all afternoon and evening now. I did the brooks virtual shoe finder quiz and now I can’t figure out if I should order from them (return policy), order from prime (little bit less money and 2 day shipping), or try to fit in a stop at running fit tomorrow afternoon if they’re open.
If you're not comfortable with an in-person fitting right now, I've found Brooks' online tools to be very good. You may also want to look at runningwarehouse.com - they have online fit tools, and give you 90 days to try shoes and exchange if they don't work.

I just emailed runDisney. I’ll let you know what they say.

I emailed OYO about the race date. They were in the process of updating something on the website, and have already added the race date to an individual’s results page!
Just received this email from Track Shack (runDisney forwarded my question about runOYO to them):
6B5392F6-9909-40FD-A972-ED215CB4C5AD.jpeg

ETA: For reference, this is what was in my original email:

5C07ABE9-58F4-449D-AB93-5667EFF2B399.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! I am a walker/sometimes jogger. I was a part of a Facebook rundisney fan page that I got a lot of motivation from, but I recently deactivated Facebook. That group is one of the few things I am missing! I've been a disboads follower for years, so I thought I'd try and get involved here! I've exercised off and on for years, but some recent life changes paired with being stuck at home a lot has allowed me to get back into the groove. I've been walking a lot since the spring and recently signed up for my first half marathon. o_O After some hip/knee issues prevented me from jogging earlier in the year, I'm starting to implement some walk/run intervals into my routine (mostly so I can increase my distance without having to dedicate as many hours a week to walking). Some exercises from my PT friend and my first pair of non-bargain running shoes really did the trick! Anyway, that's my life story. Hopeful to learn some things and get some motivation around here!

Hi Everyone! I am a walker/sometimes jogger. I was a part of a Facebook rundisney fan page that I got a lot of motivation from, but I recently deactivated Facebook. That group is one of the few things I am missing! I've been a disboads follower for years, so I thought I'd try and get involved here! I've exercised off and on for years, but some recent life changes paired with being stuck at home a lot has allowed me to get back into the groove. I've been walking a lot since the spring and recently signed up for my first half marathon. o_O After some hip/knee issues prevented me from jogging earlier in the year, I'm starting to implement some walk/run intervals into my routine (mostly so I can increase my distance without having to dedicate as many hours a week to walking). Some exercises from my PT friend and my first pair of non-bargain running shoes really did the trick! Anyway, that's my life story. Hopeful to learn some things and get some motivation around here!
Welcome!

:welcome:

Welcome. I have no idea what hip/knee issues you were having and it sounds like you have a PT that can help but I highly recommend this book for mobility work. Many, though by no means all, problems people have with running and walking are muscle imbalances and lack of mobility and are correctable with some dedicated attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter