The Running Thread - 2020

Run - 6 miles
Walking - 25 miles
Streaming Workout - 21 days in a row

I have not been running as much as the summer seemed to come quick this year. I also wanted to do more strength training and decided to shake it up with one of those streaming programs which I have done 20 days in a row (21 day program). Curious to see what I decide to do this month

You could just about cut and paste April’s summary into May for me. Still working from home and enjoying the added time that allows me. Weight continues to drop, now down almost 30 pounds from Marathon Weekend. 5-10 more pounds and I’ll need to shift from loss to maintenance. I continue to walk 5 days/week and run 5 days/week. Running-wise, I feel like I’ve established a new comfortable base in the 30-35 miles/week range where it was previously comfortable at 20-25 miles/week and my pace continues to improve. At any rate, here are the numbers:

May Training Summary
Total Running: 152.98 miles
Running Time: 26:05:42
Average Pace: 10:10/mi
Average HR: 148 bpm
Total Walking: 64.78 miles

I ran 44 miles (and walked an additional 20 with my little family) in May. Not record breaking for me by any means, but it was my highest postpartum monthly total, so I feel good about that.

I've been running as my lunch break, so almost all of my runs were 3 miles. It's the perfect amount to run and shower in under 1 hour. I am really going to miss working from home when that time comes!

May Totals

Running:
Miles: 77.17
Time: 13:10:18
Avg HR: 158
Avg Pace: 10:25
Elevation: 1460m

LIIFT4:
16 workouts (weeks 5-8)
Time: 9:19:00

Decent month, but by the time I get to weeks 7 and 8, I need a break from LIIFT4!

So, I'm taking it easy this week - no LIIFT4 and minimal running. I'm giving blood on Wednesday for the first time in years, and I'm not sure how my body will respond to that!

May Numbers:
Total Miles (Run/Walk) - 108.32
Time - 25 hours, 55 minutes

Year To Date:
Total Miles (Run/Walk) - 364.48
Time - 85 hours, 39 minutes

Second straight month of 100+ miles! Definitely more days and miles of walking than running, but the 7+ mile walks my sister and I take every weekend naturally cause that to be the case :laughing:

I fell just short of my 50 mile run challenge goal due to taking a short preventative break from running in the middle of the month because of some soreness but I am proud of how close I got despite that. I also loved getting to kick off my 26th birthday with a quick 2.6 mile run. This coming month I have once again joined on for the 50 mile run challenge and also joined a run/walk streak group so hopefully those will continue to push me. The fact that this is my last week of school with students will also probably help make getting out there even easier.

Last edited:
May 2020 Training Summary

Running duration = 18:59 hours
Running mileage = 122 miles
Average Pace = 9:20 min/mile (about 176 sec/mile slower than estimated LT)
Average HR = 132 (67% HRR)
Indoor Cycling duration = 24:00 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 371 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 149 watts
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 152 watts
Yoga = 6:01 hours
Total Training Time = 49:01 hours

Good and bad month. The good was I was visited by @canglim52 during his cross country trip. We decided to do an impromptu mile time trial since that's what I've been training towards for the last 2.5 months. I've run several time trials over the years and had yet to break 6 minutes in the mile. My lifetime PR was 7:12 back from middle school until I broke that in November 2013 after 14 months of training with a 7:03. I didn't break 7 minutes until December 2015 (happened during a HM). Since then I've run several time trials, but hadn't been able to break 6 minutes. Everything I can do at 5k, 10k, HM, and M suggested I was capable. My PR of 6:02 was from a 5k TT in May 2017. A time trial in April 2019 was 6:19, and a time trial in Feb 2020 before this training cycle began was a 6:12. But based on the training over the last 10 weeks, I was confident I could break 6 minutes. With the help of @canglim52 I was able to run a 5:42 (and he got his own PR in the mile as well at around 5:20). As a side-note, shout out to Christian (who doesn't post as much as he used to) who ran 519 miles in May!

Unfortunately, the bad side of the month is I've been dealing with some back/upper leg pain that refuses to go away. So I'm pausing the mile time trial training for the moment. Depending on how long it takes, we'll see whether I resume training for the mile again or shift focus elsewhere. I think I can probably take the mile time lower, but that'll have to wait a bit before the next attempt.

May 2020
All running
Miles: 54.91
Avg. Pace: 9:19

I was working my way back from a pinched nerve in my back from 1/30 and running with an Ace back brace on any runs over 4 miles even as late as mid-May. I've run sans brace the last few weeks. <fingers crossed> <wood knocked>

We had horrific weather last week...rain, wind, cold. I took 8 days off from running so my mileage was down. It doesn't help that there are no races any time soon. It also doesn't help that, without a scheduled race, I have a hard time self-motivating!

My short-term target race (Cap City Half) was postponed from 4/25 to 8/29 but I have a growing feeling that race will not happen as a live event. Running that as a virtual is kind of a bummer since that race is a blast normally - lots of crowd support, bands, and a great post-race party.

Long-term is still the Space Coast marathon in late Nov. They announced a virtual option but they still plan to have an actual race. I hope that happens - that is a fun race, too, and a beautiful area!

May Miles

Miles: 52.21 Run/Walk
Pace: 16’33”

Maintenance runs paces are between 12’19” and 13’44” and long run paces are between 15’44” (when it was cooler) and 18’17”. We’ve settled on a long run interval of 10/30 seconds run/walk ration for long runs which brings us to a sustainable 16 minute pace. Maintenance runs continue to be 30/30 until we consistently hit a 12 minute mile pace. Heat has kicked in here with temps in the 90s (70s at dawn). Worse than heat are the biting insects this year! I put the bug spray by my running basket so I don’t forget to use it.

Our Marathon program officially kicks in mid June so we should have have final summer intervals by then.

May miles: 46.1 - This is my lowest mileage month in about 3 years, BUT I've been very active with cross training. I've been doing the elliptical, biking, hiking, HIIT/strength training, yoga and dog walking. I even went mountain biking last weekend, which is something I haven't done in 20 years!!

My plan for June is to start working back to running 4 days a week while also continuing the cross training.

Night 2 - 6 am. I was hoping to run the race, then go hiking in Zion, but it sounds like I'll need to add a bike ride in between because all the car parking will be gone. How about you?

Saturday 8pm. Sunset...moonrise...full moon!! I imagine the park will be full so we probably won’t explore too much. We do plan on visiting some of the other southern Utah parks though.

In other news BOLDERBoulder just canceled. They originally postponed to Labor Day and combining with their Fortitude race but everything is now canceled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter