The Running Thread - 2019

A couple weeks back I asked for recommendations for favorite half marathons in each state for a 50 state challenge.

California:
Until such time as west coast runDisney events actually return to Disneyland, I'll vote for the SF Giant Race. If offers one of the slower required minimum paces for a San Francisco race (15 minutes per mile) and is billed as the least hilly course in San Francisco. Which is true. It only has one really big hill. But why do I really recommend the race? It's a beautiful run through the city and goes through the Presidio and offers some beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a beautiful run going by as the waves from the bay lap up along the shore. It finishes on the field at Oracle Park where the SF Giants play and allows runners to celebrate on the field after the race, including in the Giants dugout. Also offers a 10K same time as the half and a 5K after the half. Kids races and family relays are held the day before. The Giants also offer a spring training race held in Arizona and 2 minor league races held in California so there are challenge medals available for doing all 4 races of certain combinations.

Great list of running events compiled by @PrincessMickey. I want to run ALL of THEM!!!!

Thanks!! I want to run them all too!

Wow, you folks are such a friendly, helpful group!

I tried taking some GU chews on my run yesterday. Epic fail. It's been very snowy here in the Great White North and I struggled to open the package with my gloves on. It finally flew open and half the chews fell on the road. The rest were rock hard from being in the cold (even though I had them in my Flip Belt) and made my teeth stick together. So, chews + winter running = bad. Might try a gel next time!

I eat a low-carb, whole food diet because I'm celiac, and this is by far the easiest way I've found to avoid gluten.

Try Huma gels, they’re all natural and gluten free!

Until such time as west coast runDisney events actually return to Disneyland, I'll vote for the SF Giant Race. If offers one of the slower required minimum paces for a San Francisco race (15 minutes per mile) and is billed as the least hilly course in San Francisco. Which is true. It only has one really big hill. But why do I really recommend the race? It's a beautiful run through the city and goes through the Presidio and offers some beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a beautiful run going by as the waves from the bay lap up along the shore. It finishes on the field at Oracle Park where the SF Giants play and allows runners to celebrate on the field after the race, including in the Giants dugout. Also offers a 10K same time as the half and a 5K after the half. Kids races and family relays are held the day before. The Giants also offer a spring training race held in Arizona and 2 minor league races held in California so there are challenge medals available for doing all 4 races of certain combinations.

Thanks! Flatish is good and San Francisco would be neat to run in. Might be a little awkward though because I don’t think I could go onto the Giants field without representing my Colorado Rockies.

I tried taking some GU chews on my run yesterday. Epic fail. It's been very snowy here in the Great White North and I struggled to open the package with my gloves on. It finally flew open and half the chews fell on the road. The rest were rock hard from being in the cold (even though I had them in my Flip Belt) and made my teeth stick together. So, chews + winter running = bad. Might try a gel next time!

Yeah, I've had that issue with the chews even here in the frigid wilds of Silicon Valley. I like them for pre-race but go with gels during the race.

Thanks @jennamfeo. Hadn't heard of it before, but will give it a listen.
As soon as my wife hears this about a GOT deep dive, she will lose her mind!

THe GOT reviews are really good. I thought I was pretty in tune with the show and books but the podcast besides being really funny and entertaining also really opened my eyes to a lot of things I missed. Looking forward to listening to the Harry Potter episodes next.

THe GOT reviews are really good. I thought I was pretty in tune with the show and books but the podcast besides being really funny and entertaining also really opened my eyes to a lot of things I missed. Looking forward to listening to the Harry Potter episodes next.

The Harry Potter pods are fantastic! The voice work Jason does is hysterical, as are all the catch phrases they came up with that many of us listeners use now in every day life. You'll never look at betting on Quidditch the same way again.

I've been listening to the binge mode Star Wars episodes too, they're fantastic! We're also rewatching all the movies. Started with the Phantom Menace and just finished a New Hope over the weekend.

I'm looking forward to trying the Binge Mode Harry Potter series next :)

The Harry Potter pods are fantastic! The voice work Jason does is hysterical, as are all the catch phrases they came up with that many of us listeners use now in every day life. You'll never look at betting on Quidditch the same way again.
"Tough look for my guy..." is one I use A LOT. Haha.

hanks! Flatish is good and San Francisco would be neat to run in. Might be a little awkward though because I don’t think I could go onto the Giants field without representing my Colorado Rockies.
They've posted photos of runners wearing Dodgers gear to their instagram account. Rockies gear would be just fine. :)

Race swag includes a tech shirt and a Giants themed runner bobblehead. Since not every MLB team that even offers a race lets you spend time on the field, that reason alone makes me recommend the Giant Race to any baseball fan. I've ran through Angels Stadium for runDisney races, which was always amazing. As a Giants fan, running through their stadium was extra special, but getting to spend time on the field and in the dugout was incredible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter