The Running Thread - 2019

Race Recap: Atlanta 10 miler

This was a mini run Disney meet up. Yesterday it rained the entire day. We had dinner plans with @tigger536, @OldSlowGoofyGuy, and @Disney at Heart. We had dinner at New Realm. It was raining pretty hard as DH and I walked there but the way home the rain was stopping. It seemed the brewery was a big hit. Unfortunately we forgot to take any pics at dinner.

Sunday morning came quick. I was feeling pretty good but DH was a bit grumpy. I was afraid he was going to have a bad race. We left the condo at 6:35 and walked and then jogged to the start. Worked pretty well I was in my coral at 7:07 and race start was 7:15. Plan was to meet OSGG in the front of coral B. I did not find him and I could not find tigger either.

It was time to go. I checked all the people going past me to see if it was OSGG. He came up to me between mile 1 and 2. We ran together after that. Mile 3 was good as we went down the cardiac hill, but the real hills were coming, we knew it. It was up and down. I started to struggle right after the park, the part of the course I am familiar with. The hills were mighty but we kept going. Mrs OSGG was near the end about .75 miles from the finish. We got some cheering and peeled up the last hill.

24DF4ABB-7D1D-4AD5-B347-9632CB715F1F.jpeg

My finish was 1:24:46. I was hoping to be closer to 1:22 but with the hills I was pleased with the result. I ran hard. OSGG finished just behind me but he had to catch up in the beginning so his chip time is faster. It was my first 10 mile race so it is a PR. Then we waited for DH, who actually had a better race than I thought and finished in 1:37:31. He lost some time for a bathroom stop. Surprised I finished 7th in my age group, that was unexpected. We walked home after that.

914D5C88-79F4-43D3-92E5-A518E2954741.jpeg

Usually I hate atlanta races because of the hills but do them because of convenience. I think I would run that race again. I enjoyed it enough and very easy to get to the start for me. I will say weather was decent, that rain stopped and it was 55.

As the three of us started heading back to our respective places, I said hey we should be looking for DAH and DH. Literally seconds after I said that we saw them on the course. They were close to the finish.

After the race OSGG stopped by to pet Malloy. Her weekend was a bit messed up so I made it up to her by having guests over.

I really want to nap now but I must start packing for vacation next week.

Attachments

• 52D71394-5999-40F6-9EE0-A6FE746DD7E9.jpeg
    52D71394-5999-40F6-9EE0-A6FE746DD7E9.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1
Usually I hate atlanta races because of the hills but do them because of convenience. I think I would run that race again. I enjoyed it enough and very easy to get to the start for me.

Congrats on the 7th AG!

New Realm was an excellent choice. I'm starting to come around on Gose.

What a fun weekend! Not much to add: 1:24:34 for me. I was pleased with that as 1:25 was my unspoken goal. My first 10 Miler, so an automatic PR. (Ugh, I know what that means next year.) The medal is nice, a double spinner with a glass portion.

Same as Peachtree, I let @garneska set the pace and she did an excellent job pulling me across the finish line, much faster than I would have done on my own. I enjoyed meeting everyone, including Mallory. What a big sweet girl! I ran into Mr. and Mrs. @Disney at Heart at pickup. What are the odds?

We did a fast walk through the Botanical Gardens before leaving town and managed to see all the topiary in record time. I've got 29,000 steps for the day with the race, walking to/from start and condo, and BG.

I'm not saying I'd do this race again, but I'm not saying I'd NOT do that race again.

Congrats on the 7th AG!

New Realm was an excellent choice. I'm starting to come around on Gose.

What a fun weekend! Not much to add: 1:24:34 for me. I was pleased with that as 1:25 was my unspoken goal. My first 10 Miler, so an automatic PR. (Ugh, I know what that means next year.) The medal is nice, a double spinner with a glass portion.

Same as Peachtree, I let @garneska set the pace and she did an excellent job pulling me across the finish line, much faster than I would have done on my own. I enjoyed meeting everyone, including Mallory. What a big sweet girl! I ran into Mr. and Mrs. @Disney at Heart at pickup. What are the odds?

We did a fast walk through the Botanical Gardens before leaving town and managed to see all the topiary in record time. I've got 29,000 steps for the day with the race, walking to/from start and condo, and BG.

I'm not saying I'd do this race again, but I'm not saying I'd NOT do that race again.
If I’m thinking of the same gose it was a little jarring the first time I had it, but damn refreshing once I got into it.

If I’m thinking of the same gose it was a little jarring the first time I had it, but damn refreshing once I got into it.
This one was 'Bless Your Little Tart' with blueberry and peach. I'm not sure I ever has a Gose and I'm not a big fan of fruity (other than citrus) beers.

The first sip was jarring. By the middle, I was thinking it was perfect for a hot day. By the end, I was thinking this could be dangerous on a hot day.

Great recaps, and congratulations @garneska for the 7th AG and @OldSlowGoofyGuy for hanging onto such a fast pace. (We knew you could do it!) Loved the meetup and the race-love as DH and I were getting close to the finish. As you could see, he decided to stay with me. @tigger536 Missed you today but it was great seeing you last night! Maybe we’ll see you Thanksgiving!

Even with a muscle strain and all the hills, I beat 2 hours, barely, at 1:59:12!
The leg is a little sore tonight even with a slow pace. I’ll know tomorrow morning if I can run all three mornings at W&D or if I need to mostly walk the 5 and 10ks to be able to mostly run the half! :-) The sharp pain I had previously been experiencing didn’t happen today, and for that I am grateful. All in all, a great weekend!

Between running and commuting I have been running very low on podcast and audio book content. What new stuff has everyone been listening to? No politics please it just aggravates me. I'll take any suggestions from any category but I tend toward running/training, Disney, true crime, & history.

I know I ask this on the regular but I am desperate for content!

History:
Lectures in History - a variety of topics
History Extra - a BBC broadcast
The History of England - he starts at the very beginning and works forward
HIST 119 The Civil War and Reconstruction Era 1845-1877 - this is an entire college semester class
Stories, A History of Appalachia - I like this as they have episodes from 10 minutes to an hour, and a unique variety of topics.

@FFigawi thanks for the podcast suggestion. I took a look and will have it cued up for my runs this weekend!

@lhermiston looks like the Gumby’s in East Lansing has been gone for some time. I don’t think I personally ever ate there, might have back in the dark ages when I was still a student at MSU. So no Pokey Sticks coming from East Lansing, sorry!
Just chiming in to say I miss Gumby's (and Bilbos, too)! It was the best. I think the Lansing one closed a few years ago.

Ok carry on with running, which I have been thinking about doing more than I'm actually doing lately. But really enjoy seeing what you guys are up to. :)

Question: For Disney races, do you set a goal in your mind? I know some people run these for time but I'm guessing that the majority do it for fun. How do you calculate what your goal should be with character meet and greets? Or do you just not care what your time is?

Question: For Disney races, do you set a goal in your mind? I know some people run these for time but I'm guessing that the majority do it for fun. How do you calculate what your goal should be with character meet and greets? Or do you just not care what your time is?
I don’t care about time with disney races. Disney races for me is all about having fun. I’m trying to meet as many characters as I can, and have as much fun as I can. I stop for food, beverages, and photos all the time.

I don't stop for characters, so I just go in with a goal time in mind. Now that time may have to be adjusted due to whether I'm running a challenge or a single race, but I do have a target.

I don't really set time goals for Disney because I always run wayyyyy long there (my marathons have been 26.6 and 26.8 and my half was 13.4, I think), so there is really no point in me trying to hit a PR. Plus, I run for the atmosphere and characters, and I don't want to miss that!

So, I set a time that I would like to be done and try to stuff as much fun stuff in as possible. I won't wait a long time in a character line for someone I can see in the parks, or that I have a picture with from a previous race. I think in January, my goal will be to finish around 4 hours and 45 minutes, so I will be done around 10 a.m. and I can gather my gear, go to my room, shower, and head to the parks.

I run the half for time (easy way to get a POT for the future) and treat the other three events as opportunities to goof off, ride rides, drink beer, and spend time with friends.

Question: For Disney races, do you set a goal in your mind?
Disney races I have historically done for time, as it gave me a good training focus. If I do one in the future I will probably just ignore the clock and try to hit up some character meet and greets. I can find cheaper ones to run for time, although attempting to pr will be hard, since my PR was trained and raced at sea level and I live/train in thinner air now.

ETA-pretty photos from yesterday’s trail run. First run through snow this winter.0D5F0668-EC61-456F-A0AA-A5DB3DBCF59C.jpeg

D1E7DF26-6F72-41A8-AABB-5FC4F53DBCC4.jpeg

I struggle with time goals in general, and had a bit of a panic for it at Disney. I continued to tell myself that if I wanted to race for time I could find a cheaper race locally- but maybe not as flat. I set a pace goal and tried to remain at that pace while moving. That way, I felt I was running at a reasonable pace, and I did not feel like I was not meeting my target if I stopped for Chip, Dale, & Clarice (she was all over Tokyo Disney last weekend!) and stood in line for 22 minutes. I had a hard time predicting how long photo stops would be when I got to the line (I thought the relatively short line for Sebastian would be 5 minutes, but they changed out the character, so it was just over 10), but did not feel like I was sacrificing a time goal as my target was to have fun. I came reasonably close to maintaining my intended slow run pace for 7 miles (I stuck with a slower friend for the first 3) and less so for the last 3.

I've only done one set of Disney races so far - this was the DLP 5k/10k/half in 2017.

That 2017 DLP half marathon was my second half marathon. I wanted to beat my first half marathon time (which was 2:55), and was going at a pace that would have gotten me to a 2:45 time. However at around the 4km mark there was an amazing photo opportunity with Mickey and Minnie in DLP 25th anniversary dress at a gazebo in DLP's town square area, and it was hard to resist this opportunity even with the insanely long queue. So I waited, and it was around 14-15 minutes of waiting (going by my splits). I got a fantastic photo. But I also lost a decent amount of time, and ended up finishing in 2:59. If I hadn't stopped I could potentially have actually finished in 2:45!

I actually do somewhat regret stopping for that photo, because it meant missing out on a nice PR. Especially since the weather conditions for that half were perfect - cool but not too cold (around 55 deg F) - and the course was fairly flat.

Anyway, I still haven't beat that 2:55 timing. Part of that is due to only having done one more half since (this was a bit of a disaster due to under training), but another part of that is because all my local races are in hot and humid conditions (around 80 deg F)!

In 2 weeks I'm doing the Wine and Dine 5k/10k/half. My plan with this is:
5k and 10k - run and enjoy these races, take as many photos as I want, and not bother with time. I run these distances regularly anyway and know I can run these in times I'm personally happy with.
Half - just keep running and try to PR. Mainly as the weather looks pretty good (65-70 deg F seems to be the current forecast), so it might be my one chance to get a good time!

Between running and commuting I have been running very low on podcast and audio book content. What new stuff has everyone been listening to? No politics please it just aggravates me. I'll take any suggestions from any category but I tend toward running/training, Disney, true crime, & history.

True Crime is my go to -
Hit Man
Over my Dead Body
Man in the Window
Hell and Gone
22 Hours

I know I ask this on the regular but I am desperate for content!

Some of these will be common and I'm sure you've listened to many them, but just in case...

Disney:
Dis Unplugged- WDW
Dis Unplugged -Disneyland
Connecting with Walt
Be Our Guest Podcast
Dis Best & Worst

Running:
Ali on the Run
I'll Have Another
Rambling Runner
Man Bun Run
Not Real Runners
Joyful Miles
(I don't listen to all of these regularly, but often short through episodes to pick guests that are interesting to me)

Other:
Serial
S-Town
Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me
How I Built This
Fresh Air
My Dad Wrote A... (hilarious, but definitely R rated)

Ran for the first time today after taking a week off following Chicago. Did an easy thirty minutes and then came home and foam rolled for a while. Legs are definitely still recovering. Had planned on doing a reverse taper this week, but may adjust tomorrow if my legs feel the same as today. I think this is the first time I have still felt fatigued following time off after a big race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter