The Running Thread - 2019

Good morning everybody. I can "volunteer" for posting a question today.

QOTD: Let's say you won a contest to run a RunDisney event for free, and one of the perks is that you were able to pick 3 other people to run it with you.
To make it more interesting, let's say your 3 selections should be currently living, and someone you don't know. Celebrities, musicians, poets, writers, artists, world leaders are all fair game.
Who would they be and why?

Peter Sagal- he has paced runners before and he could probably spin a yarn or two
Len Testa- I find running math challenging, but maybe Disney math while running is easier?
Kristen Bell- all of the things,

ATTQOTD:
So at a Disney race, I'm tempted to say Mickey, Minnie and a Mary Poppins' Penguin, because my race pictures would be GREAT.

Assuming that speed was no issue, I'd love to run with Des, one of my favorite running bloggers, and someone from one of my favorite podcasts to entertain me (how funny would Pete Werner be? ;) )

Pete and Craig! They could get into one of their arguments and entertain us for a whole marathon!

QOTD: Let's say you won a contest to run a RunDisney event for free, and one of the perks is that you were able to pick 3 other people to run it with you.
To make it more interesting, let's say your 3 selections should be currently living, and someone you don't know. Celebrities, musicians, poets, writers, artists, world leaders are all fair game.

Wow, that's a great question and the kind of question I'm horrible at answering. But I'm always really interested at how other people answer, so I can't wait to read on...

I’d run Dopey with Jonah Hill, Seth Rogan, and Bill Hader. 48.6 miles of hilarity & shenanigans.

ATTQOTD: I suck at these. So assuming that said live person doesn't have to be a runner, and reserving the right to entirely change my mind, I would do a race (half or full) with:

-- A runner....Joan Benoit Samuelson. She still kicks ***, she's a New Englander, and she's about my age, so we might have a thing or two in common.
-- A chef/baker....I'm going with David Lebovitz. Between talking about food and Paris, I think time would fly.
-- An actor.....Maybe Tom Hanks. I mean, if things got tough he could do his Woody voice, and the army men wouldn't give him any ****.

Des Linden cause she’s awesome. Will Ferrell in Ron Burgundy form and then Michael Wardian because he's insane.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, this is a good question.

I really can't pick any super hot guys because I'd be all sweaty and trying to run fast and effortlessly and look good during the marathon. And I would die and have to stop at so many porta-potties so I didn't pee my pants talking to them. So goodbye to all the Chrises (Pine, Evans, Pratt, Hemsworth) and the Ryans (Gosling and Reynolds).

I'd like to pick Sean Astin because I know he runs and he seems really down to the earth. And I love basically everything he does from Goonies to LoTR to Stranger Things to his recent turn on the Big Bang Theory. And I think he ran Disney (not sure the half or the full) when I was there back in 2013. It's funny I'd pick him because it's not like he's one of my favorite actors or anything. But he seems like a nice dude.

Then I'm going to pick J.K. Rowling, which seems like a terrible choice since this is Disney after all, but HP is my favorite series of all-time, and I'd love to pick her brain about it and how she just up and created this whole world, plus she has a lively view on today's society and news and wicked comebacks.

And then I'm going to throw in.....Woody Harrelson. Because, why not. I feel like he would have lots of awesome swear words for marathon running.

Sean Astin would be one pick because reading his blog about running Dopey helped motivate me to run my first marathon. And I know I wouldn't kill him by having him run it with me. Then if I can only pick two more instead of all four, I'd pick Joe and Murr from Impractical Jokers because we'd be laughing the whole way.

ATTQOD: Wow @Slogger. That's a tough question. Obviously I would choose family members but you didn't allow me that choice.

I think I would go with
#1 Meb (who doesn't want to run with Meb, not sure he can run slow enough for me)
#2-Jimmy Buffett (love the music, love the stories, the miles would fly by)
#3-Oprah Winfrey (amazing success story, always a positive outlook)

Your turn.
This is a good question. I would definitely run the marathon/marathon weekend. As for who I would run with:

1. Meb would be an easy number 1 choice.
2. Cedric King (google him if you don’t know who he is but he’s a former marine that lost both legs in the war and now runs on blades. We passed each other a couple of times during the 2016 marathon.
3. Someone from this thread. I can’t pick which one but there are a few I wouldn’t mind running with.

Honorable mentions: Richard Sherman and Dick Van Dyke because a few hours of running with someone that actually worked with Walt would be cool. There are also a few people I follow on Instagram that are runners I wouldn’t mind running with.

ATTQOTD: Great question! I have been trying to decide on mine since yesterday. LOL.
  • Shalane Flanagan because I think she could teach me a thing or two about perseverance and believing in yourself.
  • Kate Middleton because I am obsessed with the Royal Family and love the somewhat true life fairy-tale, plus hearing her accent for 26.2 miles would be fine with me.
  • Cameran Eubanks from Southern Charm because she is hilarious and could keep me entertained with her commentary, plus she loves Chick-fil-a as much as I do so we could go get that afterward.

Just a quick FYI:
Today is Global Running Day, and many races and running stores have commemorative sales and specials as a result. Time to stock up on gear or register for that next race at a discount! I'm already planning to take advantage of a 20% discount on the The North Face Endurance Challenge Series to register for my first 2020 ultra!

Des Linden cause she’s awesome. Will Ferrell in Ron Burgundy form and then Michael Wardian because he's insane.
I like that you picked Wardian. He seems like an interesting cat. I originally was going to put another ultra runner, Jim Walmsley, because it would be interesting to run distance with a beast more or less my height. I guess I could have also picked Killian because he is a machine in shoes and rips on skis, and also whomever ultrarunningmemes is.

Jumping in as my morning at work is just not the same without a QOTD.
QOTD
As @BikeFan noted above and social media keeps telling me, it is global running day. Are you acknowledging this? Are you planning to run? If so, does this deviate with what you would have done otherwise in your training patterns? Did you buy something or sign up for a race?

Question for night racers...

I'm running my first ultra next week. It will be an "ultra-lite" or "ultra on training wheels" for me because I only signed up for the 6-hour and not the 12-hour or 24-hour options. I finished my only marathon last fall just under 6 hours, but I'm not sure if I'm at that fitness level at the moment. So if I only make 22-24 miles I will consider the race a success; thus not a true ultra.

The race starts a midnight and is a 1-mile loop around a lake. The path will generally be lit (with Christmas decorations) and past runners have blogged that a headlamp was not necessary. I'm planning to bring mine anyway.

Now finally for the question...I usually run early morning; should I time shift my waking/running/sleeping over the next ten days so that midnight feels like 6:00 am? Or should I just get plenty of rest the day before and take a long afternoon nap the day of the race? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter