The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Legs up on the wall for ten minutes once I return to the room, ice bath right after and before heading to the park, keep moving in the parks, foam rolling, hot Epsom salt bath before bed, and Icy Hot on the sorest spots (normally my quads) before I got to sleep has worked for me.

If your starting in Coral D, interested in a beer at AK, another one somewhere else and talking about Disney and/or running for 5+ hours as we tour the 4 theme parks, then I am the guy you want to run/walk/drink with lol.

Starting in C but the odds you catch me are pretty high since Im in for the Goofy.

If you do, we can talk about anything but this

QOTD: Since I am extremely under trained for Sundays marathon, lets talk recovery, specifically minimize soreness. What do you do to help with soar muscles and not end up walking like a Donald?

• Most important keep moving. I make a point after a full to stay on my feet and moving for at least an hour after. After my last full I also did an ice bath which I do feel helped quite a bit. I did one about 2 hours post race, another before bed, and a third the following day. 20 lbs of ice into the bathtub and sit down.
  • I have fallen out of the habit but for a while I would wear CEP compression socks (up to the knees) post long run/race and I really felt they helped. I totally forgot I even had them for a while there but once I'm back up to higher mileage I'll reincorporate them.
  • Hydrate.

ATTQOTD: I don’t really do as much as I should. I do always walk for a while afterwards and throughout the rest of the day. If any put of my body really hurts, when I go to bed that night I’ll put on icy hot. I’ll need to pay attention to the answers here so I can greatly improve what my recovery.

ATTQOTD: Last year I bought a Bounce Back Bath Recovery Bath Bomb from Fuzzie Fizzies (who will be at the expo). I also don't do ice baths. I put the Bath Bomb in a warm tub and soaked until the water got cold. It was amazing! Plus I was sick so I think it helped with my congestion too!

We're heading home from WDW today due to family timing. (Posting this from the DME bus.) After seeing the Oswald medals and shirts today, though, I'm really regretting not doing the 5k this morning. That said, today is already 27 hours long due to time zone shifts, so getting up at 3am would have been decidedly suboptimal.

Spotted today at Beach Club Marketplace:

IMG_20190110_134535.jpg

I had my scheduled check-up from my ankle surgery today (20 weeks). The ankle has been swelling quite a bit lately and I was getting anxious. The worst part of this recovery is that every time I feel any tweak/pain/swelling I immediately think "oh no I have re-injured my ankle, this means more surgery and starting over..." It's like being in continual taper mode!

But I passed all the tests this morning, and was told to relax about the swelling as it is normal and could last for awhile yet. I do have to stay in my ankle sleeve but I now get to move into strength training PT as opposed to simple range of motion stuff. It was really good to get a thumbs up from the doc and know that recovery continues and real running may not be too far away!!! :tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:

Starting in C but the odds you catch me are pretty high since Im in for the Goofy.

If you do, we can talk about anything but this

I saw that video earlier today and have to say I thought it was perfect for all parties. The other guy thats a bama fan that does videos that I fine funny did a good job as well. I forget his name, but his videos are usually named something like "How Bama fans watched _______" With the blank being the week, SEC champ. or playoffs. While I'm not a fan of Bama, I have to say what they have done over the last 10 years has been impressive and its not like one L is going to change that anytime soon.

ATTQOTD another vote for continuing to live after the run. The biggest problem I had post marathon wasn’t actually moving, it was the transition from not moving to moving! Once I was going I was fineish!

Hi runners! I am training for my first half- Princess and we are doing the challenge. I am currently running 2-3 times during the week (ok, a lot more 2 than 3) plus a long weekend run that is increasing length, last week, I did 7 miles. During the week, it is really hard for me to get in more than 3 miles on those runs. I usually run in the morning. Sigh. I could get up earlier if you all tell me I need to- but I am currently running at 5:50, up at 5:20. I tried this week running while my daughter was at dance, and while I have enough time, it was SO dark on the way back I had to walk out of fear for tripping. I could do this dance run once a week and go 4, but it was just too dark for me to feel good about it. My neighborhood must have better lighting because this is not an issue on my morning runs. I am loosely following Hal Higdeon and the weekly runs increase to 5 miles.

So my question is- do I need to make those 4-5 mile runs happen. Should I commit to 3 3-4 miles runs plus the long one if I can not do the 4-5 milers. Does that even matter? My goal is to finish the challenge feeling good about the race- no time goal- only planning on stopping for the evil hag and the castle. I anticipate walking or run/walking during the second half and that is fine with me, but I want to feel strong. Will I regret cutting the weekly runs short? Thanks!

Hi runners! I am training for my first half- Princess and we are doing the challenge. I am currently running 2-3 times during the week (ok, a lot more 2 than 3) plus a long weekend run that is increasing length, last week, I did 7 miles. During the week, it is really hard for me to get in more than 3 miles on those runs. I usually run in the morning. Sigh. I could get up earlier if you all tell me I need to- but I am currently running at 5:50, up at 5:20. I tried this week running while my daughter was at dance, and while I have enough time, it was SO dark on the way back I had to walk out of fear for tripping. I could do this dance run once a week and go 4, but it was just too dark for me to feel good about it. My neighborhood must have better lighting because this is not an issue on my morning runs. I am loosely following Hal Higdeon and the weekly runs increase to 5 miles.

So my question is- do I need to make those 4-5 mile runs happen. Should I commit to 3 3-4 miles runs plus the long one if I can not do the 4-5 milers. Does that even matter? My goal is to finish the challenge feeling good about the race- no time goal- only planning on stopping for the evil hag and the castle. I anticipate walking or run/walking during the second half and that is fine with me, but I want to feel strong. Will I regret cutting the weekly runs short? Thanks!

I used Hal Higdon (but with intervals the whole time) to train for my first princess half and I stayed at the 3 miles during the week. My shins wouldn't tolerate the 4 & 5 miles and the long run distance. I was ready for the race.

I used Hal Higdon (but with intervals the whole time) to train for my first princess half and I stayed at the 3 miles during the week. My shins wouldn't tolerate the 4 & 5 miles and the long run distance. I was ready for the race.
Thanks! That makes me feel better!

QOTD: Since I am extremely under trained for Sundays marathon, lets talk recovery, specifically minimize soreness. What do you do to help with soar muscles and not end up walking like a Donald?

I embrace the Donald. I try and keep moving, but know that I’m going to be sore and walking funny for a couple of days anyway.

On the upside, when you’re at Disney you can use that as a badge that you ran so you don’t have to wear around the medal all day.

Have a great race @LSUlakes!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!