The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD:
without a race on the calendar, my desire to be able to chase down my kids, keep my blood pressure down, and a need to be outside get me out the door for a week day lunch hour run. Motivating myself to get out of bed on a cold, wet Saturday is a bit harder and is 50/50 I will get out there for more than 30 minutes. Without that immediate goal I feel my 3-4x/week is fine, but I am cringing at the low monthly miles. I did breathe a sigh of relief and exasperation as family obligations took away the possibility of a March race- I wanted to race it, but I am happy to not be trying to fit in long runs in inches of ice or winds prompting the national weather service to suggest people hold onto their small pets outdoors.

I have three races on the calendar starting on March 16 and finishing up on June 9.

Heading out to Montana for almost two weeks in July to do a lot of hiking, so that will help with keeping me in shape. After that I am going to need to figure out a way to stay motivated and find something to train for so that I don't lose all that fitness I would have built up.

Hi!

We really wanted to do one of the shorter Star Wars runs but they are sold out. If I can keep a 16 minute walking/running pace for the half marathon will I be able to stop at the characters along the way?

I can just barely keep the 16 mile pace and have read there are long lines for the characters so I'm wondering how that works.

Thank you!

Cat

I have found that I need a race on the calendar to stay motivated Otherwise I am not inclined to skip runs when I am just not feeling it.

ATTQOTD: There is no way I would have been motivated enough to get out some of these winter days without a race on my calendar! So to stay motivated, I book a race or ten... And dream about more. Right now, I have ideas until end of 2021 and actual registration for all of 2019.

QOTD: How do you stay motivated for runs when you do not have a race coming up?

ATTQOTD: I currently do not have any races I am looking to run so I thought this would be a good question. My motivation during these times is to improve for the next training cycle. While there isnt much running at the moment due to almost everyone in our house being sick I hope to get back to it soon.

Despite not being able to run I have been able to remain very motivated lately. I have dropped ten pounds since December. I have been very consistent on my bike since I couldn’t run (except last week, I was sick).

My goals that have helping me right now are losing weight. I figure the more weight I can lose the better it will be on my ankles when I do start running again. And, on occasion, I find motivation in other places. For example, my ex-wife once told me I would never get under 200 lbs again. So now I am determined to do it. I won’t tell her or anything. I’m just using it to motivate myself and hopefully it will help my running as well.

Hi!

We really wanted to do one of the shorter Star Wars runs but they are sold out. If I can keep a 16 minute walking/running pace for the half marathon will I be able to stop at the characters along the way?

I can just barely keep the 16 mile pace and have read there are long lines for the characters so I'm wondering how that works.

Thank you!

Cat

If you can barely keep the 16 minute pace then stopping for characters most likely would get you swept I would think.

Hi!

Thank you!

Cat
RunDisney recommends you train for a 15 min/mile pace to give you a buffer for restroom breaks and the unexpected. Even that pace would most likely not allow enough time to stop for characters. Character lines can vary greatly. I’ve done some that were almost a walk up with the longest being 25+ minutes. The average character line is probably in the 8-10 min range.

Hi!

Thank you!

Cat

The 16 minute mile pace requirement is from the last person that crosses the starting line. If you can start at the front of your corral that would give you an extra buffer. The big issue is that on the shorter runs the character lines can be fairly long. Particularly during the 5k Disney can be lenient about sweeping people, but you would need to be conscious of time and the balloon ladies.

ATTQOTD: Without a race planned, I struggle. Especially in the brutal summer heat. My goals of weight loss and base building still kinda fall apart. That said- I think this will be my year. I have the base I want, and have seen visible changes since I started Pilates in my appearance and in my running pace. I suspect that will make it easier to stay motivated.

Hi!

Thank you!

Cat

Have you checked with travel agents who sell the bibs? It seems like every race now they are on some Facebook groups trying to sell last minute bibs. We aren't allowed to list travel agents here so maybe ask in the"rundisneyrun marketplace" group on Facebook if any agents still have a 5k or 10k bib. :)

QOTD: What is the furthest (is that even a word?) location you have run from home? Tell is if you like where home is and where the run happened, bonus for approximate mileage.

ATTQOTD: Home is Baton Rouge, LA and Boston, MA is the destination which is approximately 1,585 miles away.

Attqotd: We live in Naples, Fl

My husband ran at Aulani & that is 4774 miles away. Or I’m wrong and realize that Rome, Italy is further away at 5248 miles.

The furthest I’ve ran is Anaheim for RunDisney which is 2217 miles away.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD:
I ran a marathon in Anchorage, AK. That is around 2760 miles (straight line) from Wichita, KS or 3500 driving miles.

I’m okay with where I live. It’s pretty flat for running, and very central located so it’s pretty easy to travel East or West from here. The only thing is, I love to hike, and there aren’t so many great hiking trails close. :)

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter