The Running Thread - 2019

For the gulf coast posters, if the tropics haven't grabbed your attention yet, it may be time to start taking note. A low pressure system just got into the gulf and currently looks like bad news for Louisiana. Not much of a wind event, but rain of 1-2 feet are possible over the weekend. The only other posters I can think of in south LA are @girliea if I have the correct username and @Keels. EURO model has been consistent on the last few runs and other models are in agreement. Possible weak cat 1 or strong TS, but rain being the main issue as mentioned before. Since I like to plan, ill probably knock out the grocery store part of things soon before it gets named and everyone looses their minds and runs in for milk and bread lol.

I’m in Uptown by the river and my house is pretty elevated, so it should be OK. But my backhouse has flooded twice with all the rain we’ve been getting. The sandbag guy is going by my house tomorrow to line the backhouse because of course I’m out of town.

Sigh.

Let’s run is a cesspool. Spent about 2 minutes there before I was like, “nope. This is the reason I deleted Facebook.
Agreed. I also agree with almost everybody in this discussion today. I agree that social media does bring out the worst in people. I agree that the best advice to anybody experiencing a "pile-on" is to, yes, just get off any of those sites. I agree that Meza clearly had some kind of mental health issues and was probably not totally normal in every other way than just being a "cheater", which complicates the situation. And I also doubt that the internet pile on caused his death or anybody choosing not to pile on could have saved him. He should have been investigated and should have been disqualified and he should have come clean when the handwriting was on the wall. But in hindsight, and you could only know in hindsight, he was fragile in ways nobody could know and this was the outcome. For example, obviously getting accolades from the running community was especially important to him, seemingly to a bizarre extreme, given the lengths he went to to get them, and rejection by this community was just too much.

I'm a professor and I'm sure not every one of my students has glowing remarks about me, just like anyone who runs a restaurant or any business, or does anything nowadays. I just make sure to not seek out stuff that's going to ruin my day, even though I'm sure it's out there. Not that I've done something like cheating in a marathon, but I've definitely had colleagues who had somebody make a harsh comment on an outfit, and maybe a hundred other people "like" that comment, and now it feels like everyone is laughing at you. When in reality the people who hit "like", don't even think about you at all. They spent one second thinking about it then moved on to the next thing. Social media can suck that way.

@Bree I'm so sorry.

I’m not an expert, but imo what ever drove him to cheat was probably related to what made him take his own life. I have a hard time believing a man with his track record(cheating-wise) was never harassed previously. However, that said bullying is absolutely wrong. It’s one thing to post the fact that he was cheating scientifically speaking... but all the judgement/names/etc beyond are only for the ppl saying them. They don’t change the fact he did what he did, nor will they discourage others who suffer the same insecurities as this dude from doing stupid crap like this again. We can’t control the ripple effects of our actions, all we can control is the energy we put out in the universe...

I really like the little bubble that's created around this small little corner of internetland. It's been the only running site I've really frequented since I started running in 2011. I miss those that have moved on (Coach Charles, Firewalker, and many others) but enjoy the commentary here. I think that's mainly because this is in general a really positive place. I think the DLF >> DNF >> DNS mindset really comes through. I really love the focus on just getting out there and taking the next step.

In church this week I heard about Tanzanian runner John Stephen Akhwhari.
Here's a little bit about him from Wikipedia:
While competing in the marathon in Mexico City, Akhwari cramped up due to the high altitude of the city. He had not trained at such an altitude back in his country. At the 19 kilometer point during the 42 km race, there was jockeying for position between some runners and he was hit. He fell badly wounding his knee and dislocating that joint plus his shoulder hit hard against the pavement. He however continued running, finishing last among the 57 competitors who completed the race (75 had started). The winner of the marathon, Mamo Wolde of Ethiopia, finished in 2:20:26. Akhwari finished in 3:25:27,[2] when there were only a few thousand people left in the stadium, and the sun had set. A television crew was sent out from the medal ceremony when word was received that there was one more runner about to finish.
As he finally crossed the finish line a cheer came from the small crowd.

When interviewed later and asked why he continued running, he said, "My country did not send me 5,000 miles to start the race; they sent me 5,000 miles to finish the race."

I really love that quote.

I’m not an expert, but imo what ever drove him to cheat was probably related to what made him take his own life. I have a hard time believing a man with his track record(cheating-wise) was never harassed previously. However, that said bullying is absolutely wrong. It’s one thing to post the fact that he was cheating scientifically speaking... but all the judgement/names/etc beyond are only for the ppl saying them. They don’t change the fact he did what he did, nor will they discourage others who suffer the same insecurities as this dude from doing stupid crap like this again. We can’t control the ripple effects of our actions, all we can control is the energy we put out in the universe...

OK, so I’ll bite.

I tried to kill myself on 4/22/09. Slit my wrists while my husband was watching a basketball game in another room, and the only reason I’m still alive is because he was hungry, thought I was making dinner and came into the kitchen to get food.

We’re all human and we’re fragile. We have feelings. We’re naturally irrational. What compels a person to do things like cut a course or steal from a store or cheat on a spouse - while it’s nothing you want to defend, it’s also nothing that should be open to a public browbeating. People are human.

My reasons for attempting to take my life were (looking back on it) ridiculous - I’d recently taken a buyout from a job I adored because I thought I had something waiting for me in a new field. But that fell through and I felt worthless. For the first time in my life, I was unemployed with no prospects, a dwindling severance and I had made the call to quit my job which put me in this position. Utter worthlessness is really the only way I can describe how I felt, especially once the job search rejections started rolling in.

96-percent of the time, I’m happy to be alive. I’m happy with my life. I try to be a good person. I attempt to reach out whenever I’m sad, or really connect with someone if I’m feeling despondent.

I guess what I’m trying to say is - be kind, because everyone you meet is fighting a battle.

I have some exciting news to share- I'm expecting a baby! Ran my 1st marathon in January and have my 1st baby in December... Big year! :)

I share this to ask if anyone has good pregnancy running experience? I was getting along just fine (although much slower), but have been hit with some major hip pain in the last couple days. It came on the morning after a walk (not even a run!) and I'm wondering if it's from sleeping on my side.

Does anyone have experience with this? Please tell me it gets better?

@Keels - So Happy you are still here. 🤗💜

I love my DISBoards Runners and I look forward to any moment I get to meet up with y’all! We’ve all made an impact on each other in some way. I’ve been a single Mom for a long time and although we do great, it also means I don’t get out much to meet or make REAL friends.

WDW Marathon 2019 Weekend’s DATW at Epcot was one of the best days I had in a LONG time!

I have some exciting news to share- I'm expecting a baby! Ran my 1st marathon in January and have my 1st baby in December... Big year! :)

I share this to ask if anyone has good pregnancy running experience? I was getting along just fine (although much slower), but have been hit with some major hip pain in the last couple days. It came on the morning after a walk (not even a run!) and I'm wondering if it's from sleeping on my side.

First, congratulations 🎉

I was not running during my two pregnancies but kept very active, including regularly going to aerobics classes and hiking. I stopped certain things: Sports where I could fall/get hit at an important speed (alpine skying and hockey) and certain torsion movements (twist abs crunches for example). Other than that, I made sure to get enough exercise and would probably have done some running if that was my sport back then. Of course, it is also perfectly fine (and recommended) to listen to your body and to your level of energy. A side note, this is when I started drinking coffee on a regular basis 😴.

It is possible that when your belly grows heavy, you will appreciate the lightness of being in water so I recommend pool aerobics or running!

Finally, after you give birth, I strongly suggest that you do pelvic floor reinforcement exercises. There are even physiotherapist that can coach you for that. Sorry if this is a touchy subject but it affects a lot of people and runners.

ETA: I just remembered that I used to appreciate a good chair massage during my pregnancies... That might help with the stiffness or hip pain.

Congrats!!! I have no running advice. Are you tucking a pillow between your knees when sleeping on your side?

See the source image

I've been waiting for this post!!! So happy for you! I have no advice because I have no children, but I hope the hip pain goes away soon. Congrats!

Congrats!!! I have no running advice. Are you tucking a pillow between your knees when sleeping on your side?
While I’m not pregnant- I’ve been sleeping on my side and it was giving me some pains. I bought a foam knee pillow off Amazon for like $13 and it is the best thing ever. It’s a lot less bulky than using a pillow but that’s because I sleep between two dogs that have to be touching me at all times while sleeping.

CONGRATS!!!!! I don't have much advice - I really struggled with time on my feet while pregnant and had a lot of hip, knee, back and foot pain. I wound up spending a lot of time in the pool for exercise, which was great: that helped me keep moving comfortably. I guess my best advice is just to listen to your body and give it what it needs!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter