The Running Thread - 2018

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 2, 2018.

1. kleph

kleph Earning My Ears

ATTQOTD: honestly, i'm pretty much ready to handle whatever surface a given run/race throws at me. i've had issues with concrete and extended distance training but that's an outlier. what i will advocate is occasional trail runs. i was having a number of knee issues a few years back and a fellow runner suggested trail running as a possible solution. the logic being, you are forced to use almost all the muscles in your lower leg due to the irregular running surface (and, hoo boy, i can tell you by how sore everything was from my calves down, that's the truth). this means better support for your knee and, possibly, less problems from the joint. it worked for me and i found a good trail run twice a month was a really good variety to my running regimen.

LSUlakes likes this.
  2. McNs

McNs DIS Veteran

Another fan of asphalt or packed dirt. I dislike any surface where every step sees the foot slip, wasting energy.

My race coming up this weekend is 33km along the Auckland coastline so will be a mixture of sandy beaches and rocky coast...

LSUlakes and huggybuff like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Good question. Probably asphalt or a running track. Sometimes grass is good too.

LSUlakes likes this.
  5. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

Just catching up - @Keels I am so very sorry for your loss.

6. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: Favorite is dirt - packed dirt, lumpy dirt, grassy dirt, damp dirt... 90% of my running is on concrete sidewalks, so ANY dirt is a happy change! The only thing I dislike running on is wet, moldy, slippery boardwalk.

Disney at Heart and LSUlakes like this.
  7. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: Also prefer asphalt or packed dirt. Hate gravel as I always end up with it in my sock/shoe. Plus, you know, the fall down factor of it.

LikelyLynae and LSUlakes like this.
  8. GreatLakes

GreatLakes DIS Veteran

Asphalt is my preferred surface and if it is a trail I prefer dirt to anything really rocky or grassy. My least favorite would be sand and cement.

LSUlakes likes this.
  9. baxter24

baxter24 Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I prefer asphalt or packed dirt. Do not enjoy running on mulch and gravel. I did a local half marathon back in a November and two miles of the course was on a mulch trial. They were my two slowest miles by far. It feels nice on my feet and knees but I feel like I am working so much harder.

Disney at Heart and LSUlakes like this.
  10. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of RunDisney

Happy Mardi Gras from my hero - King Cake Baby!

3D1466B7-8F37-4911-A3D5-23B4CCDE59E6.jpeg

11. KSellers88

KSellers88 DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I am okay with pretty much any type of surface except sand, my legs hate me after about .02 seconds. Asphalt and running track are the surfaces I run on the most.

LSUlakes likes this.
  12. jennamfeo

jennamfeo DIS Veteran

Like most everyone else, I like asphalt. We have a lot of packed dirt paths around (because desert) but I haven't ventured out on them yet.

LSUlakes likes this.
  13. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Like so many others here, I prefer asphalt and packed dirt. I don't like concrete or sand. The former is too hard, the latter is too soft.

LSUlakes likes this.
  14. huggybuff

huggybuff DIS Veteran

I'm always on sidewalks but I don't put in enough mileage for it to really affect my joints. Just walking on sand is a workout, can't imagine running on it willingly.

TheHamm and LSUlakes like this.
  15. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

Attqotd: I only really know Road, sidewalk and treadmill. And prefer road (asphalt) most.
    Can I put myself in the "nope column" for grass on a wet day. I will tentatively tip toe through a street puddle to avoid any possible muddy situation.

LSUlakes likes this.
  16. kski907

kski907 Mouseketeer

ATTQOTD: I will also vote for asphalt and the track as my favorites. The least favorite for me is trail running, too many tripping hazard tree roots and wild life of the big brown variety here.

LSUlakes likes this.
  17. Bree

Bree DIS Veteran

That is a scary looking baby king.

LSUlakes likes this.
  18. Miranda

Miranda DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: Another one for asphalt or hard packed dirt (either dirt road or trail). I don't like concrete at all.

LSUlakes likes this.
  19. Bree

Bree DIS Veteran

ATTQOTD: I like to run on asphalt and then concrete. The grass here is strange and very good at hiding uneven surfaces and holes so I tend to stay away. Anytime I run in sand or dirt I get it in my shoes.

LSUlakes likes this.
  20. LSUlakes

LSUlakes DIS Veteran

It really is and I have no idea who signed off on it, but someone thought it was a great idea. lol

21. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Got an email today to sign up for the Honolulu Marathon... Oh how I wish I could go to Hawaii...

sourire, LikelyLynae, kski907 and 4 others like this.