The Running Thread - 2018

I have the Vivoactive 3 and I LOVE it. I don't find the face to be big at all - it actually feels smaller and thinner to me than the Forerunner 235.

LOL, I have that same watchface counting down my Baltic cruise in june on my Fenix3!

Thanks! What about it doesn’t work for you when running?

Instantaneous pace isn’t super reliable, no way to program a workout or preset paces, some data stays “behind the wall,” including heart rate data, GPS is hit-or-miss (my AW and DH’s would show significant discrepancies in distance when we ran the same run together), have to manually trigger new laps, which made it hard to use for speed workouts. I did love being able to control audio though!

This weekend we have the following folks with races:

24 - @MissLiss279 - Go Girl Run OKC Half Marathon (2:05:00 / N/A)
24 - @tidefan - Tuscaloosa Half Marathon (2:30:00 / N/A)
24 - @jennamfeo - Carlsbad All Day 20k (NG / N/A)
24 - @cburnett11 - Rodes City Run 10k (48:xx / N/A)
25 - @roxymama - Shamrock Shuffle 8k (44:19 / N/A)
25 - @kleph - Dallas Rock n' Roll Half Marathon (2:00:00 / N/A)
25 - @FlashAM7 - Winterpark 10k (53:59 / N/A)
25 - @Mickey Momma - Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon (2:45:00 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend. My sincere apologies for posting the list late this week. DD school was closed unexpectedly mid morning and I had to go pick her and DS. Plus side, we had a great afternoon playing outside)

If you would like to adjust your goal or if someone would like to add a race to the list, just let me know and I will be happy to do so. Good luck again, and let us know how it goes!

Side note: It appears I typed a user name incorrectly again. MickeyMomma is not being allowed to tag.... If you see this please let me know so I can change it. TIA
So... I finished today 2 minutes under my goal. Finished in 2:28:02

Hopefully, this will work as a POT for the marathon in January!

Race starts in about 25 minutes, but wanted to share something funny. This morning as I was getting ready around 5:45, my husband wandered in and looked confused that I was still there. He said “I thought you would have left by now.” I told him not every race runs on a RunDisney schedule and that I would be leaving shortly.

Race starts in about 25 minutes, but wanted to share something funny. This morning as I was getting ready around 5:45, my husband wandered in and looked confused that I was still there. He said “I thought you would have left by now.” I told him not every race runs on a RunDisney schedule and that I would be leaving shortly.
Have fun!

Does anyone run with mace? I’ve had it with dogs (and their stupid owners) after this morning’s run. I usually go out of my way to stay the heck away from dogs even if it ends up with me in the street (like today). A teen walking a mastiff lost control and it got to me and almost knocked me down. I freaked out of course and ended up backhanding it on the side of the head and sprinted away as fast as I could. I had no idea if it was going to bite! This is the third time this week I’ve had issues with dogs.

Does anyone run with mace? I’ve had it with dogs (and their stupid owners) after this morning’s run. I usually go out of my way to stay the heck away from dogs even if it ends up with me in the street (like today). A teen walking a mastiff lost control and it got to me and almost knocked me down. I freaked out of course and ended up backhanding it on the side of the head and sprinted away as fast as I could. I had no idea if it was going to bite! This is the third time this week I’ve had issues with dogs.
I run with a pepper spray, I've only luckily had to use it once on a dog many many years ago that I seriously was scared of, but it's always nice to have just in case.

My husband runs with pepper spray. He’s used it a couple times on badly trained dogs. He’s been bitten once by a tiny dog and the owner was mad at him that he used it but if you can’t control your dog, that’s your fault

Fun Friday QOTD: What attraction would you be ok with being on non stop for 4 hours? You are allowed food, drink, and 1 bathroom break of 5-10 minutes.

this may be nuts, but as long as it includes the pre-show stuff, I'd totally do ToT. (each time we've gone as adults, my sister and I seek to up our record from the previous trip; I believe last time we rode it 7 times consecutively before the lines started getting too long.) Otherwise, either Haunted Mansion or (original!) Journey into Imagination. Depending on time of day, maybe the Safari.

(yes, I know we're oddballs -- my sister takes it as a personal challenge to see just how fast she can make the teacups spin. yes, the last time we went, we were 28 and 32.)

to torture someone else: either Mission Space (love me some thrill rides but that one gave me a massive headache) or Primeval Whirl (which just about shattered my spine...)

i've had several dogs chase me recently because their owners decided they didn't need to use a leash. it's an incredibly selfish and unsafe thing for a dog owner to do. i have watched a dog get run over by a car because it decided to run across a road to take a lunge at me. oh, and there's the whole thing where i might get bitten but, obviously, that's not important.

Fun Friday QOTD: What attraction would you be ok with being on non stop for 4 hours? You are allowed food, drink, and 1 bathroom break of 5-10 minutes.

Wow, 4 hours! Tough.certain rides I LOVE (spaceship earth, EE, CoP, people mover, Soarin',Space Mountain,etc) but I don't know if I could do 4 hours worth.

Honestly, I'd probably go with Splash Mountain or Mine Ride.

On her first college program in 2011, my sister and a couple friends rode Dinosaur about 20 times in a row. They were trying to see how many times they could ride it in a day and were doing silly things for the ride photos, but then they got reprimanded by a Cast Member for something. I can’t remember exactly what it was they did, but it wasn’t anything inappropriate. But after that, the fun was ruined and they gave up.

I love dogs unless I am running, and even then most of them are sweet and just run along with me. But DH bought pepper spray for me to use on my neighborhood runs after a Jack Russell jumped up and bit me on the butt! I carried it a few times; the first time I used it, the dog came at me, I sprayed, it jumped back to avoid my spray, and came back at me again. After a couple of times, it gave up.
The second time, a pit bull down another street came after me, I sprayed it and hit it on the neck/back just as its owner came outside. He and the dog got caught up in a game of "my owner can't catch me" round and round me, so I couldn't keep running. Eventually the owner said "Sit" and the dog did. I sprinted away. I no longer run in my neighborhood, which is a shame, because there is a leash law in the county and if owners followed it, I would have no problems. Yeah, it's because of the stupid owners.

ATTQOTD: I agree with People Mover and Kilimanjaro Safaris for favorite 4-hour long rides. People watching or animal watching... both are fascinating.
Bonus - two torture rides: Space Mountain and Primeval Whirl. I love both of them once a day, but they always jerk my back and neck so that I need to recover before getting back on! And I know exactly who to put on the rides. Did anybody else have someone in mind, or was that just me???

Always a spelling edit.

Yes, amazon and most running stores will carry Runner’s mace which has a strap that easily allows you to carry it in your hand at all times. I’ve never personally had to use it, but after coming across a man who’d been attacked by two pit bulls early one morning, I always carry it. Just make sure to periodically test it to make sure it’s functioning properly.

Thanks everyone for the mace help. It’s so frustrating that owners can’t be more responsible.

This weekend we have the following folks with races:

24 - @MissLiss279 - Go Girl Run OKC Half Marathon (2:05:00 / N/A)
24 - @tidefan - Tuscaloosa Half Marathon (2:30:00 / N/A)
24 - @jennamfeo - Carlsbad All Day 20k (NG / N/A)
24 - @cburnett11 - Rodes City Run 10k (48:xx / N/A)
25 - @roxymama - Shamrock Shuffle 8k (44:19 / N/A)
25 - @kleph - Dallas Rock n' Roll Half Marathon (2:00:00 / N/A)
25 - @FlashAM7 - Winterpark 10k (53:59 / N/A)
25 - @Mickey Momma - Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon (2:45:00 / N/A)

Best of luck to each of you this weekend. My sincere apologies for posting the list late this week. DD school was closed unexpectedly mid morning and I had to go pick her and DS. Plus side, we had a great afternoon playing outside)

If you would like to adjust your goal or if someone would like to add a race to the list, just let me know and I will be happy to do so. Good luck again, and let us know how it goes!

Side note: It appears I typed a user name incorrectly again. MickeyMomma is not being allowed to tag.... If you see this please let me know so I can change it. TIA
Okay I low key had a goal of doing all four 5ks in under 2:10:30. I’m happy to say I did them in 2:05:21 AND I PR’d my 5k, 27:15!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter