• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2016

@LSUlakes how dare you post a QOTD late?! Just kidding! Hope your car is ok.

@Miranda we all have terrible runs. It's all about getting back on that horse. Good thing your 4 mile run went relatively well. :) That's why I hate scales sometimes. You feel good about yourself, working out, eating well and then you jump on the scale and it's like "what? how did I gain 5 lbs?!" Luckily(?), I haven't had a truly functioning one for years. It's accurate within +/- 5-10lbs.

ATTQOTD: I actually enjoy doing some weights, it's different than running. It also gives me an opportunity to catch up on streaming shows. ;) I do lunges/squats and then core work for about 15-20 min about 3 times a week. I try to work as many muscle groups as possible since I have such limited time, so I'll do push ups etc.

I must be the only one who started with Gu and has stuck with it. I like Sports Beans, but the chewing seems like to much work. :)

Gu seems like it is a lot easier to deal with. I wish I liked it and that I didn't have to worry about my stomach, but that's unfortunately not the case for me.

ATTQOTD: I use sports beans - but don't love the ripping open the package, and carrying them, etc. The bags are stiff. There's got to be a better way! I'd love a bean dispenser to attach to my running belt like a coin dispenser:

That would be awesome!

QOTD: Do you do any weight-training and, if you do, when? Do you weight-train on easy run days or strictly cross-training days? If you do it on running days, do you lift before or after your run?"

ATTQOTD: I know I should but currently don't. I am struggling to just get my runs in at the moment.

Sorry for getting to todays QOTD a little late folks. Had some car issues this morning that have me running behind. Its just one of those days....

I don't do it on running days, but I do it on non running days. I'm getting ready to start a training program, so I am planning to get more disciplined about it. In my last half training, I was sick a lot, so I didn't take the time to cross train like I should have. I feel that is partially to blame for my injury. I was running weak. Strength training makes me a better runner.

Hello, I took a couple of weeks off from posting because I felt like I was dragging people down with my mood. I had my follow up doctor's appointment today and I am afraid my mood will not be improved.

I had my X-ray to make sure the bone is fully healed and it is not. I can still put weight on my foot now, so I can be done with my crutches. I have to wear my walking boot all the time though. I was hoping to be able to ride my bike (I bought a bike trainer) but I can't do that for another 2 weeks. I questioned why I can't even do that and she showed me the X-ray and where the bone was still not healed. So, I have to go back in another 4 weeks for another X-ray and if all goes well then I might be able to return to work in November. I can start PT, which I scheduled. I told her my whole foot hurts, as does my right knee. She said it is all normal. My knee hurts from carrying all my body weight for 7 weeks, it will be fine once I start walking. She said the pain, and swelling, in my left foot are normal. She told me I can except my left foot to hurt for at least 6 months and the swelling will last a year. :scared::scared::scared: She is just the nurse practitioner. I felt like saying, "Listen lady, you and the doctor better get on the same page because he told me 3-5 weeks and I'd be fine. He never told me any of this stuff. "

I have been doing P90X workouts, just the ones I can do with upper body for now. It is helping but I need some cardio for regain my sanity. This is dragging me down big time.

To answer the QOTD I never did weight/strength training before. I just ran and rode my bike. I have such a different perspective now that I am missing all of this so much. I started following some really fast runners on instagram for motivation and they ALL do serious strength training (These people are all BQ's and most run regular sub 3:00 marathons). It hit me, if my goal is to qualify for Boston I need to start taking this more seriously. So, I will be adding in consistent yoga, stretching, and strength training once I am cleared to do so. It will not only help me get to Boston but help reduce risk of injury. I can't do this again. I need to keep my body strong. I also need to lose this extra weight to have less wear and tear on my ankles. The NP told me we have no idea how your ankle will do once we can resume normal activity. Excellent, thanks for the encouraging news.

I have also been reading my heart rate training book I bought and there is TONS of info in there. I will be working on my Zone 2 training once I can get on that bike. When I can run freely, and pain free, I want to hit the ground running hard so me and my bike will be fast friends for the next 6 months.

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. It's really frustrating and easy to get discouraged. Hang in there. Your running family is here when you need to vent.

Although I do love my off-Fridays (we work a 9/80 schedule at my work), it really does put me WAAAAYYYY behind on this thread. The nerve! Not that I only read this thread at work ... :scratchin :rolleyes1

ATTQOTD: I do not cross train. I know I should. I even joined a gym. I hate the gym. I found running because I was too inconsistent with the gym. Also, I REALLY don't want to workout 6-7 days a week. Running takes up 3. I deserve those other days off right? Right? Is this the wrong crowd? lol.

I currently don't really have any major races planned/booked. I have the SW LS 10k booked, but that's about it. Oh, my friend who couldn't make Dumbo is trying to talk me into Avengers ... we'll see. I'm actually thinking maybe I should skip some Disney races in 2017 :-)eek:) to try and do some other ones. I know we complain about how expensive Disney races are, but I don't find the others ones around here (LA) that much cheaper. Unless you sign up a year in advance ...

But I need to find something to schedule because without that I don't know how to train. LOL

So I went to PT today for my nerve and the guy watched me run to see if that was making things worse. He told me I crossed my feet when I ran and that it can cause IT issues which he said I have along with the nerve problem. Does anyone have experience with this? He told me to use the lines on the road to practice a wider stance and try to strengthen my hips. He also said I'm landing to hard on my heels and to try to soften it. I feel like I don't even know where to begin with that one lol. Any help would be appreciated!

ATTQOTD: I was strength training with bands 3x per week on my off days but stopped when I started having trouble with my leg.

Patience. My foot still aches me from time to time from my break last November, but I am running 50 miles per week. Don't let them get you down. You are strong. You will be just fine.
YES. Cannot agree more. I still have numbness and occasional (very slight) nerve pain from my issue in mid-January...tomorrow will be 8 months since my injury (give or take a day) and just recently running and daily life have gotten better for me as far as pain management.

The past few months were incredibly frustrating...now I realize I just really, really needed to be patient and give my body a break.
So I went to PT today for my nerve and the guy watched me run to see if that was making things worse. He told me I crossed my feet when I ran and that it can cause IT issues which he said I have along with the nerve problem. Does anyone have experience with this? He told me to use the lines on the road to practice a wider stance and try to strengthen my hips. He also said I'm landing to hard on my heels and to try to soften it. I feel like I don't even know where to begin with that one lol. Any help would be appreciated!
The crossing the feet, no, but hip strengthening yes. I was told that keeping your pelvis/core stable is super important when it comes to IT Band pain, and I find that when I really focus on that it DOES help.

YES. Cannot agree more. I still have numbness and occasional (very slight) nerve pain from my issue in mid-January...tomorrow will be 8 months since my injury (give or take a day) and just recently running and daily life have gotten better for me as far as pain management.

The past few months were incredibly frustrating...now I realize I just really, really needed to be patient and give my body a break.

I'm having trouble figuring out what the middle ground is. I'm generally all or nothing. I'm fully training (and possibly OVERtraining), or I'm having trouble establishing a routine. It's a work in progress.

The crossing the feet, no, but hip strengthening yes. I was told that keeping your pelvis/core stable is super important when it comes to IT Band pain, and I find that when I really focus on that it DOES help.

My PT told me the same thing. I know it's a typical thing to say, but I think that's because it is true. My lack of strength training, thereby leading to weak hips and core, was one of the top reasons for my hip injury.

ATTQOTD: Joined a gym in March and consistently did upper body and lower body workouts 2-3x weekly. I would try to do the workout before going out for a run. Nothing crazy, just trying to strengthen my core and be a stronger runner.
Long way to go to get there.

Has anyone done the Iron Strength video from Runners World? I got it in a special deal for their anniversary a while back. I did the abbreviated version of it, and it was REALLY difficult. I know I'm out of shape, but I did modified version of it and I was beyond normal sore. My back wasn't the same for 2-3 weeks.

ATTQOTD: I wish I could write something about a great weight lifting and core strengthing program I am following. But the reality is I need to prioritize this as right now I am doin very little. I do continue to do my Achilles and hip exercises as both (and my right knee) can get tender.

You all are such a great motivator!

Has anyone done the Iron Strength video from Runners World? I got it in a special deal for their anniversary a while back. I did the abbreviated version of it, and it was REALLY difficult. I know I'm out of shape, but I did modified version of it and I was beyond normal sore. My back wasn't the same for 2-3 weeks.
Yep! Except when I did it they didn't charge for it...hmm...

Anyway, I definitely have to modify the crap out of it at first and it did work well for me, but I just got...bored with it after awhile, I guess.

Patience. My foot still aches me from time to time from my break last November, but I am running 50 miles per week. Don't let them get you down. You are strong. You will be just fine.

I know I am going to be fine. I knew this was going to be hard on me mentally. While I am down right now I am still looking forward to working out, I am counting down the days until I can ride my bike. I will begin working on my Zone 2 HRT. I have a plan. Running is still a ways away but the weather has been perfect for running these past few days here and I just find myself wishing I could run. So, my real concern before the surgery was that I would fall back into old habits and not return to exercise. I can see that won't be an issue. I have decided I am going to start being more serious about it once I am cleared for normal activity. My goals and my effort prior to the injury were not lining up. All this time to think has shown me that. I am almost at the point in my heart rate training book to formulate a training plan. I am excited about that.

Gu seems like it is a lot easier to deal with. I wish I liked it and that I didn't have to worry about my stomach, but that's unfortunately not the case for me.

That would be awesome!

I don't do it on running days, but I do it on non running days. I'm getting ready to start a training program, so I am planning to get more disciplined about it. In my last half training, I was sick a lot, so I didn't take the time to cross train like I should have. I feel that is partially to blame for my injury. I was running weak. Strength training makes me a better runner.

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. It's really frustrating and easy to get discouraged. Hang in there. Your running family is here when you need to vent.

Thank you.

ATTQOTD: I was strength training with bands 3x per week on my off days but stopped when I started having trouble with my leg.

I don't have the foot crossing issue but prior to the surgery I was VERY aware of where my feet were landing when I ran because I knew if I twisted my ankle there was a chance I could have popped the tendon all together and then I would have been done running until the surgery. It may not be the ideal way to pass the time while running but it may be worth it to give it a try for a bit and see if you can correct stuff before the really heavy mileage comes for your marathon training. It does help occupy the mind and pass the time quicker on some of those boring training runs. The goal is to get to Goofy healthy, that's most important.

I have also realized just how important overall fitness is to what we do. I started walking with my boot today. First of all, it hurts REALLY BAD. But, I can feel stuff I never felt before and it is showing me how connected everything really is in the body. My left leg hasn't been used in 7 weeks and now I am using it and it is WEIRD. I am all off balance. I feel tendons I never felt before. I always ignored my core. And I knew I should have been doing yoga this whole time and I didn't. That will be a must do for me. I would go back to the strength training. Maybe your PT can give you some suggestions for specific exercises.

I absolutely agree the best plan is the one you can stick to. I have two concerns with Galloway. The first is the start date. That's the height of summer for us and while training in the heat is probably good for a Florida race it also makes it tough to complete long runs. The second concern is because I usually don't walk I'm not sure if it should be adjusted for length or if I would have to run/walk to be successful with it.

Here's a post I made a while back. Since I believe the Dopey and marathon don't really require that different of training plans I feel it still is appropriate.

I'll add my two cents. The marathon is a 99% aerobic event. The key to improving your experience in the marathon at the end of the race is to improve your aerobic base and endurance. This is accomplished with mostly easy running. My philosophies on training plans whether they be 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 days per week or multiple runs per day are the same.

1) Have balance in the schedule. When you look at the schedule and the amount of time spent running it should be about 80% easy and 20% hard. Easy is defined as paces about 40 seconds slower than marathon pace and slower (Long Run or slower). Hard is anything at marathon pace or faster. *There is a grey area between my two definitions but most don't do training there.

2) Have balance in the schedule. When you look at the weekly mileage the longest run in the week from a mileage standpoint should be no more than 35% of the total mileage. If you're running 30 miles in a week, then the longest run should be no more than 10.5 miles. The more you have your long run consist of your total weekly mileage the more it increases your risk for injury and makes the recovery longer before the next run (increasing the chance of not being able to comfortably complete the next run and not eliciting the correct benefits of the next workout).

3) Be wary of too long of duration of runs. Since you are doing run/walk the suggestion I've seen from Coach Jack Daniels is to not exceed 4.5 hours. Beyond that point you have diminishing returns and are increasing your chance of injury. You might say to yourself well how can I train for a 5, 6, 7 hr run with only a 4.5 hour maximum. The key if you're concerned is to boost the mileage/time spent training on the day prior to the long run with lots of easy mileage. It ensures you'll come into the long run not at 100%. This strategy will pay huge dividends at the end of the marathon where you're hoping to improve the most. The concept is referred to as cumulative fatigue. *For people who run and don't do run/walk my suggested max duration run is 2.5 hours (so for some that's 20 miles and for other's that's 13 miles).

4) Be more concerned with the time spent training and less concerned with the actual mileage. My philosophy is that (relative fitness training pace) X (time) is more important than actual mileage. My goal in marathon training is to complete as many runs per week between 60-90 minutes. Whether you run 15:00 min/mile or 5:00 min/mile my suggestion would be the same. However while the mileage completed by either person would be different, I believe their relative physical gains are the same if done at the same (relative fitness training pace) X (time).

I'm a big advocate for custom training plans. Why? Because I believe strongly that (relative fitness training pace) X (time) is the most important factor for choosing a training plan. So a single plan may not work perfectly for everyone because maybe the mileage isn't right for your pace, or the mileage isn't right because of your availability on certain days of the week. That's why I offer my services to help people come up with custom plans based on what they feel is available in their life. They've got 3 days or 4 days or 5 days... Or 20 min or 30 min or 150 min... Whatever they've got I try to work with to fit in my "rules" to make a plan that puts them in the best position to succeed based on their training plan desires. So once you get to the point you might be ready to start training for Dopey 2018 send me a PM. I can type up a plan for you based on your desires free of charge. If you choose not to use it, it won't hurt my feelings. It's just another possible plan you could use like any other commercially available plan.

The thing I see happen the most (this is not a comment about anyone I've made a training plan for on here) is people have their easy/hard split setup appropriately. Life gets in the way and effects the training plan. Most people will choose to cut the easy day and keep the hard days. Why? Well the hard days elicit the benefits. But doing this moves the 80% easy/20% hard split to more hard and less easy. This imbalance leads to a higher risk for injury. So, typically my suggestion is to cut the hard day if you have to skip. Yes, you'll reduce the benefits of the week's training, but it's better to enter race day undertrained by a touch, then injured because you cut too many easy days (and I'm not trying to suggest this is you, just merely a suggestion when evaluating a plan). Same thing happens if you move a hard day. It could be that two tempos were 7 days apart. It takes the body approximately 5 days to completely receive the benefits and recover from that workout. So if someone were to alter the training and move the tempos to 5 days apart in a single week in now puts that person at a greater risk for injury. Those specific muscles used in the tempo run may not be completely recovered and pushing them again too soon could lead them to become overly damaged.

QOTD: Do you do any weight-training and, if you do, when? Do you weight-train on easy run days or strictly cross-training days? If you do it on running days, do you lift before or after your run?"

I complete a medicine ball workout twice per week for core work. I do it on Wednesday (my no running day) and Saturday (my second consecutive easy running day and in the evening opposite the run). It's pretty minimal, but it gets the job done for me. Here's the plan: MB Workout

My other core workout is running. By running as much as I do, my core has to become stronger to continue to hold up my body (at least that's what Luke Humphrey tells me)

Last month I was inspired by DopeyBadger's medicine ball workout link (he had posted it in a different thread a while back and was on a reading frenzy of the run disney boards) that I went out and bought a medicine ball to give it a whirl. I'd love to say that I've kept up with it, but I've been failing in general with cross training. I did go out and do a nice rollerblade after work so just like the running just need to get into a routine :)

Not sure if anyone here has seen the video Disney made for "Gumbo", but it is in no way even near a gumbo. lol It has come to my attention that the video has been pulled off of YouTube, but some folks from the south decided to have a little fun with it. Just incase you have seen the original video, Disney's Gumbo is not what we do is Louisiana. Here is a funny video expressing my fellow Cajuns fellings towards it.

The sheriff at the end of the video was a local guy that everyone loved because of his attitude, but was let go from his position because of the videos that played on the nightly local news. Good times!

Hello, I took a couple of weeks off from posting because I felt like I was dragging people down with my mood. I had my follow up doctor's appointment today and I am afraid my mood will not be improved.

I had my X-ray to make sure the bone is fully healed and it is not. I can still put weight on my foot now, so I can be done with my crutches. I have to wear my walking boot all the time though. I was hoping to be able to ride my bike (I bought a bike trainer) but I can't do that for another 2 weeks. I questioned why I can't even do that and she showed me the X-ray and where the bone was still not healed. So, I have to go back in another 4 weeks for another X-ray and if all goes well then I might be able to return to work in November. I can start PT, which I scheduled. I told her my whole foot hurts, as does my right knee. She said it is all normal. My knee hurts from carrying all my body weight for 7 weeks, it will be fine once I start walking. She said the pain, and swelling, in my left foot are normal. She told me I can except my left foot to hurt for at least 6 months and the swelling will last a year. :scared::scared::scared: She is just the nurse practitioner. I felt like saying, "Listen lady, you and the doctor better get on the same page because he told me 3-5 weeks and I'd be fine. He never told me any of this stuff. "

I have been doing P90X workouts, just the ones I can do with upper body for now. It is helping but I need some cardio for regain my sanity. This is dragging me down big time.

To answer the QOTD I never did weight/strength training before. I just ran and rode my bike. I have such a different perspective now that I am missing all of this so much. I started following some really fast runners on instagram for motivation and they ALL do serious strength training (These people are all BQ's and most run regular sub 3:00 marathons). It hit me, if my goal is to qualify for Boston I need to start taking this more seriously. So, I will be adding in consistent yoga, stretching, and strength training once I am cleared to do so. It will not only help me get to Boston but help reduce risk of injury. I can't do this again. I need to keep my body strong. I also need to lose this extra weight to have less wear and tear on my ankles. The NP told me we have no idea how your ankle will do once we can resume normal activity. Excellent, thanks for the encouraging news.

I have also been reading my heart rate training book I bought and there is TONS of info in there. I will be working on my Zone 2 training once I can get on that bike. When I can run freely, and pain free, I want to hit the ground running hard so me and my bike will be fast friends for the next 6 months.

You can come here to vent all you want. Any runner who has even had the slightest injury understand to a degree what it is you feel and we would like to support you in any way we can. I hope things improve soon for you and glad to read you are doing what you can until that time.

LSUlakes how dare you post a QOTD late?! Just kidding! Hope your car is ok

I know right... lol I do feel bad when I am late on it. Its a part of my morning routine now. Although every other Friday I am off and I rarely post on that day and the weekends I am rarely on a desktop, which I find to be the easiest way of keeping up with the board and responding. Car is fine, after all the fun it just turned out to be a bad battery connection. Total repair cost $0 since I just had to tighten a bolt/nut.

In case anyone is wondering why I am posting at 11:00 PM, I just finished my first double digit run in 4+ weeks. I have been having what someone referred to as "jelly legs" earlier this week and today it did not happen so I just kept going. FEELS GREAT to hit the mark again!

And what is a great way to keep your core, pelvis, and glutes strong and stable? Yoga!

You missed my weekly yoga plug, didn't you? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter