The Running Thread—2023

Was that a snapping turtle??!?! They are so mean and aggressive, especially when they have a nest!! Glad you got out of there with all your toes still attached.

Great job on the virtual race. Getting the mojo to run it hard when nobody is looking is tough.
Speaking of snapping turtles and eggs... two years ago, my sister and son had a snapping turtle who laid her eggs in their backyard. They carefully kept the dogs from stepping on or messing with the eggs, but the eggs did not hatch.

After that, they got a new dog that really needed a fence, so my sister fenced in the backyard. Well...they didn't realize that snapping turtles return to the same place to lay eggs each year. They found mama turtle walking along the outside of the fence trying to get in. Tried to dig under (no luck because the new dog might also do this, so it was accounted for) and then eventually ended up sort of trying to climb the fence, which obviously didn't work. Poor turtle! By the next day, she was gone - hopefully to find a less-fenced place. The area is very rural with lots of space nearby.

Back from my 13.1 mile "race". Did it at a local rail trail (Paint Creek), which worked out really well--plenty of parking, bathrooms, water, mostly shaded. Only negative is that it's not a paved trail (but packed dirt/crushed whatever), and it has been so dry around here that there were solid bike tire ruts, but fortunately, they didn't cause me any footing issues. Not much crowd support, just this guy....(or actually, gal, since she apparently had a clutch of eggs)
AJFCJaV0KFoADuYDA-5lt9fsutjVnKXWMDUASdmBs5nUvaDkE_qX243vSc8LfvQNJAqmMzRoqw5nJk6BFPiEvkL332W4lps6GLhhVU3NNh9YqtW7vyi0LP8m7OAOpiutbQmdiegF4HIGkAaBaY1Ru_I4oK6ENDywRlGLKQbPlViiIGgTHjNa505UiklErtVz2nsmhPkfwDyGeZ7YRGun549DJpmJ0tTMRSy9tgFznoJJjThoCh7K3ZUFfsU_B7bpZBR8RnFA1--LEafqZ96B_DaBtTXq3wThnPwO71QNsM9Qp1h7PQchGUd5-YqdyGFHlXis0NiEGGIpSpRZgzXkYxZZfBZ2CL-LMwulw3beto9uWtqdg62RtIn-EWkLynN302ubRT5hfwzHdhhr2GmCWrfRAR5VhSn_wNN6FBgMK7n-YY9HvRTJ9IBXh4F-nT5jvRHaKn-N4pflKls09mwEy3KKHxD7X0LpzRQ8K3m1uSKWX9MNM80sokjipiaJ99-X2gWvo3NoXPYjino0pRCBBHInOGyJrDfe9tk_KObqndXoU2tkz4j1_Z6iMM6Eqs7YfN7RKan16jhDWlXE735X4aWK14zmbAoXqgyoMEBN-VFmWUIYAjqK1OFqGsyye3zlyQBFhSHiUSV5xhUWepwYNNJeuvbtdYLgk96kRN69pVYypjyV2EMcE1ZJcQdu0uv449MxnPuBb0LxA_Lolb6pzi2-sIkXnQXVpgPnUmv8O9mGhSDZp1e7N4aEsCqKhbM-1EJ34lK3vwuKmwQhjumZb0ToBtxKZCx8b-EUVJTkJLKN_kbitxxqdO6gtfjf9WaT2OrW5LnHG7nM4jT9CsUPDgtVfKUlPFK_yMjPBibZNiqV69PFsa-SMFL9A0JemkbZhskIeR0aREnnausNNKu0Vp3WpA=w731-h974-s-no

I wanted to run it "uptempo", and I did. I left my watch running and tried not to look at the mile splits. I stopped 3x for gel/water for 1 minute each. I also stopped one further time for 30 sec and had a 20sec stop for a busy road on the way back. I had a few moments of "you can stop, you know. It's not a real race and you don't have to do this", but I kept going and didn't give in. The nice thing about doing your own "race" is you get to stop exactly at the distance. So 13.1 miles exactly in a final time of 2:03:16 (Net run time of 1:59:26 ish). Apparently, I've still got some pep in my step, even without what I would call "serious" training, so I am pretty chuffed (I love this word).

Post-run treat of Iced Latte, Lemon Pound cake from a nearby coffee shop, along with a traditional post-race PB and banana on toasted homemade bread.
AJFCJaVH7fBhdpjQLiSnDHtEYrnLo7d6atU7wUgQsIP0DklsKIzVq4vkDo7uwobiS7Ue1lfi_L_4yoIjW1QcObyXvqTYObeDepM3KPNlCTEampQsjp0zVxbC7WJC7tNzjAgQ-khn_-_Nspq6e6iXr_4px2uq8EPpxyLBKcgzRiEmHYJ4UcaJ81A46YAi0sRNGIeEWFaDt4XKPZiLXqmkYWNdUH_hSPX_jewXxkFtohKkBk-sxF1IQtg9Ny-ky1af2zyQQBeFEH6zZg4mMu6J_Y2JJoUIYlqzrem2_GYv8KJqS23-8fXwOzE1oZU8sHQ2KFwI-lmVSjAAy3IEsFaC-obUvXVIPH0DM-iMg8aw3Jp_YMzMwRn5rBbPXZ678p-W-HWcpHkU781xSL6q5f_fc52SDrOd2qMZgTpDsMAPQR9HNuhT7z9ZP5Lk-xlXYBt4glpIMCZr-pR6DLz28_rurqdLaetxSUuvScgvtung8ZWZVI1JU7L8_JqwKKcLeYearp_hnC62O3zHwiG_vn-Btj0mo0AsFt2L588MAwGd7X9U9OdPwxLn5X1F-HqRE54YuoN5dQ8vIbKY1DGWfZIK9ehwdBDCFYvKJUIZjzeZOdQoZdiVi3nj-f9F7wNxqVuRoMx08pdg9HdkpUWq1mpS5UeMx2Pdr6u1DnPFl-v6oPn5jqXGOCNxASvRjM6YWBqojCsjcfd8cC9AthqO0v4w0v7Y83l8-4Mgf2i8af_j8fQOYzJ0pD7EhNXqq4jKGkDxLEq3-09BESLQV-PWPQGupQvQTWd0Bh7V-ExD4bWwym2w1jCxwsG3XVq4yutNTzbek4SS736LVWyQW3Xr8TOG9u9JZmNz8s857i7JVOht0u3ljh44humyE7C8eAmnTsEW2XyKQbuwhcR47ntMsCKsf8E1fQ=w731-h974-s-no

So I have closure on my half buildup plan, and now a week off and straight into NYC marathon training. I have my data point for fitness and can now determine what I want to do with the NYC race.
2 hours? Plenty to celebrate there!
Well done.

Congratulations 🥳 for such a successful race! Getting closure by racing is a great way to celebrate the efforts put in training.

I use these visors and I love them. They are absolutely soaked (including the bill) after a long, hot run, but it doesn’t drip down my face during the run, and my head sweats like mad.
Update: I picked up one of these visors on Amazon and wore it on this morning’s run. It worked great!!! I still had some sweat on my face but not nearly as much as usual and nothing dripping into my eyes.

Update: I picked up one of these visors on Amazon and wore it on this morning’s run. It worked great!!! I still had some sweat on my face but not nearly as much as usual and nothing dripping into my eyes.
Visors = you still have enough hair that the top of your head is not getting sunburned, so not an option for me….
<grumble, grumble>

(but glad that they work so well for those who can)

Hi all. I need some advice from anyone who has left a running coach. I started working with a coach two years ago because I needed help overcoming my ITBS. I kept making progress and then regressed. Now that I know what to do, I have the itch again to strike out on my own, though not quite on my own since I want to try the Customized Training Program through Jeff Galloway. I like run/walk and my coach doesn't. I don't like these types of conversations, but I know I need to. Any advice on what to say?

Hi all. I need some advice from anyone who has left a running coach. Any advice on what to say?
Not trying at all to be snarkey as you stated it well. So how about something like...

I started working with you two years ago because I needed help overcoming my ITBS. I kept making progress and then regressed. Now that I know what to do, I have the itch again to strike out on my own, though not quite on my own since I want to try the Customized Training Program through Jeff Galloway. I like run/walk but you don't. I don't like these types of conversations, but I know I need to tell you. I greatly appreciate all you have done for me, and it's time to move on.

Be thankful and let your coach know you have made your decision. Try not to get into a discussion/argument of the relative value of a coach vs. Galloway vs. on your own. Pretty much everyone dislikes potential confrontation so your discomfort is normal.

Last edited:
LiquidIV Question

The recommendation is to add 1 packet to 16 ounces of water. Can If I use a more concentrated solution by itself during a race, or will I need to "top it off" with additional water at the water stops? I think this may have been answered, but I didn't find it in my search. Thanks!

LiquidIV Question

The recommendation is to add 1 packet to 16 ounces of water. Can If I use a more concentrated solution by itself during a race, or will I need to "top it off" with additional water at the water stops? I think this may have been answered, but I didn't find it in my search. Thanks!
Have you actually tried it more concentrated? I’d have a hard time stomaching that.

I’m on the opposite end, I always cut mine, 1 packet in 32 oz.

Have you actually tried it more concentrated? I’d have a hard time stomaching that.

I’m on the opposite end, I always cut mine, 1 packet in 32 oz.
Great question. No, I must admit I have not. What I am trying to accomplish is to carry all of the nutrition I need for a longer race or run (10K to HM) in one small water bottle. During races I can always dump a bit of concentrate into a water cup but during training runs this is not possible.

Great question. No, I must admit I have not. What I am trying to accomplish is to carry all of the nutrition I need for a longer race or run (10K to HM) in one small water bottle. During races I can always dump a bit of concentrate into a water cup but during training runs this is not possible.
I always carry a hand held in summer, even for a 3 miler, and in winter anything over 5 miles it comes with. I am usually fine with a 16oz of liquid iv and then supplement with water at races. I’m running a half this weekend and am only planning on the one bottle. Full disclosure I’m on a diuretic so I sweat A LOT!

Do you use a handheld or a belt that you could maybe add a bottle to? My DH has an amphipod belt that he can add or remove bottles from depending on his distance.

LiquidIV Question

Can't speak to LiquidIV, but I have done concentrated Tailwind, and put the concoction in one of the 10 oz bottles in my Nathan belt. And yes, you need to also consume enough additional water to ensure proper absorption/digestion. Also, you need to make sure that however concentrated you make it, that it is still all thoroughly mixed/held in solution (although I expect that running solves a little bit of the "keep it mixed" issue!)

Can't speak to LiquidIV, but I have done concentrated Tailwind, and put the concoction in one of the 10 oz bottles in my Nathan belt. And yes, you need to also consume enough additional water to ensure proper absorption/digestion. Also, you need to make sure that however concentrated you make it, that it is still all thoroughly mixed/held in solution (although I expect that running solves a little bit of the "keep it mixed" issue!)
I have been using a similar strategy. I have a 5 ounce flipbelt bottle that I fill with concentrated tailwind. For races it works great as I just squirt some into water cups at the water stations. But that does not work for longer trail runs. I can usually dump a water bottle along the route if need be, but I'm looking for a product that is not as dependent on a proper solution.

I read somewhere that liquidIV does not need as much (or hardly any water) for proper absorption but I trust this community more than I trust a random internet site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter