The Running Thread—2023

@jmasgat i am still trying to figure out how i managed to do it and yes i do feel more annoyed as it was not my running that caused this. I assume bad ergonomics. it is annoying but DH is trying to help me out. It sucks though he told me it will take some time and not to give up on the brace.

I am glad i can still run though.

Guess I'll get to add a new country to my run list (not that I have one yet)......I got so "FOMO-ed" for the Vermeer exhibit at the Rijksmuseum (glowing, "once in a lifetime" reviews), that I booked a trip to Amsterdam for the end of March. Another new experience: traveling to Europe solo. I didn't blow all my cc points for business class, so will have to settle for economy (small violin playing).

Bummed it ends right before we get there. All the reviews sound amazing

View attachment 740522

I guess this means everyone who entered got in? I didn't get an email yet.

-- Edited to update: I got the email that I was "selected"
Works for me. I was a bit worried this year when there was no mention of ability to bib transfer like in previous years that I'd have to run virtual if I didn't get in.

This year is going to be year 6 for me, I'm aiming to eventually get guaranteed entry status whether or not I'll ever need it again. :)

Works for me. I was a bit worried this year when there was no mention of ability to bib transfer like in previous years that I'd have to run virtual if I didn't get in.

This year is going to be year 6 for me, I'm aiming to eventually get guaranteed entry status whether or not I'll ever need it again. :)
guessing @striker1064 got in too then? If anybody wants to meet up pre-race let me know!

Update: my new photochromic Rx running glasses arrived and passed their first run with flying colors! It was a cloudy, overcast day, so they didn’t really get a fair test against the full-scale assault of the FL sun, but I managed to buy a cheap pair of frames online that aren’t superbly ugly, fit me properly, are incredibly lightweight, and didn’t annoy me once over 6 miles. That’s more than I can say for 90% of any other sunglasses or glasses I’ve worn running lol - being able to see clearly was just the cherry on top! I didn’t pony up the big dollars for the fancy Transitions because I don’t need them to change quickly, since outdoor light conditions don’t change that much in seconds here, and reviews said the fancy ones didn’t get appreciably enough darker to be worth the exorbitant extra cost. I suspect these won’t be as dark as I like for serious summer sun, but I also don’t plan to be running in the brightest light of day - and I’ve got regular, dark-tinted Rx sunglasses for non-running use. (I got the dedicated running ones without bifocals, whereas my regular use ones are bifocals.)

Thanks again to those who chimed in - I’m very glad I got these!
Sounds promising.
Just don’t make a spectacle of it…

;-)

For those who have run Broad Street: I am thinking it might be nice to sleep in my own bed that night after the race especially since Philadelphia is a pretty short train ride. The race starts at 8:30 AM, does a 1:30 PM Amtrak seem like enough time? My hotel is in Rittenhouse Square, according to Google Maps it's about a 30 minute ride up the Broad Street line from Lincoln Financial Field.

For those who have run Broad Street: I am thinking it might be nice to sleep in my own bed that night after the race especially since Philadelphia is a pretty short train ride. The race starts at 8:30 AM, does a 1:30 PM Amtrak seem like enough time? My hotel is in Rittenhouse Square, according to Google Maps it's about a 30 minute ride up the Broad Street line from Lincoln Financial Field.
Others can chime in, but:
(tl;dr: Yes this is plenty of time)
1) Just so we are on the same page, the race officially starts at 8! But in my experience, this race never starts on time, and when you start from a mid-to-back corral, it feels like you are waiting around a long time for the start. So maybe you were baking all of that in and that's why you said 8:30. Just making sure you are aware.
2) Since they moved the finish out of the Navy Yard, it's been easier to leave the finish area and get to the subway once you're done. And also in my experience, they are running trains from NRG Station (where you get on from the finish line) pretty regularly after a big sporting event or this race. Let's say 50 minutes to an hour from when you finish to getting to your hotel room. I live in Rittenhouse, admittedly closer to Broad Street, but I have gotten home from a Sixers game in as little as 15 minutes.
3) It's probably a 5-10 minute Uber ride from Rittenhouse to 30th Street Station, and as you probably know once you are in that big concourse area, you just wait up there until your train shows up.

So you can do the math, depending on how long you are planning to take to run it. Let's be conservative and say the race starts late and you don't get out until 9. Then let's say, 1 hr 30 min just to be conservative, given your journal and that you plan to race it: That's, worst case scenario, run from 9-10:30, back at hotel at 11:30, then have to be at 30th St by 1:30? I can't imagine there will be a problem.

Since you're staying in my neighborhood, you can DM me if you want to take the BSL up to the start line together! No pressure but if you want to ride with a local...

1) Just so we are on the same page, the race officially starts at 8!

:confused:

I'm pretty sure I'm losing it. Thank you for pointing that out! And thanks for confirming. I figure this also allows me a bit of time to grab something to eat as well. I should have mentioned but yes, you are correct I'm figuring/hoping for a sub-1:30 finish.

Since you're staying in my neighborhood, you can DM me if you want to take the BSL up to the start line together!

Absolutely - thank you for the offer! DMing now

The NYC marathon registration was a bust. I had a qualifying time for a non NYRR race and logged on to submit my time the second it opened. It’s first come first served for non NYRR qualifying times. In Rundisney fashion, I had 3 different devices opened and all had long queue times. I just got notice that all slots were filled and I missed out. 😭

The NYC marathon registration was a bust. I had a qualifying time for a non NYRR race and logged on to submit my time the second it opened. It’s first come first served for non NYRR qualifying times. In Rundisney fashion, I had 3 different devices opened and all had long queue times. I just got notice that all slots were filled and I missed out. 😭
Bummer. Do you get entered into the lottery?

I’ve received several emails from nyrr reminding me to enter the lottery. I might just be forgetful, but I do not remember these which made me wonder if they weren’t receiving as many registrants as usual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter