The return of annual passes

I think it's just slow because school is back in now. Wish I could go during the week, sounds perfect! Well, except for the heat.

I think it's just slow because school is back in now. Wish I could go during the week, sounds perfect! Well, except for the heat.
School is back in session every year at this time. The crowd calendars are never this low for August/early September. I think there are a variety of factors at play here, including COVID concerns, masks/no masks, Disney not being back to "normal", no international visitors, and hurricanes. That's in addition to the back to school dip in crowds.

When you look at what they're hiring, it really doesn't add up. Last I checked they weren't hiring for shows at all right now. It's hard to say you can't get people to work when you aren't hiring them.

And that's part of the bigger long-term fear.....that the company has lost focus and direction. Maximizing profits and making shareholders rich is now the only priority driving every business policy and decision....its no longer about entertainment. It's no longer about the guest. The quality is declining and cheap. It's now all about the numbers. You may argue that is how most companies are these days. But that's not how Walt wanted it.

And that's part of the bigger long-term fear.....that the company has lost focus and direction. Maximizing profits and making shareholders rich is now the only priority driving every business policy and decision....its no longer about entertainment. It's no longer about the guest. The quality is declining and cheap. It's now all about the numbers. You may argue that is how most companies are these days. But that's not how Walt wanted it.
those stock prices are high because disney set the standard for years.

Whales can die, i'm not saying they will, and i dont think they will, but they do risk losing market share to other vacation destination locations.

School is back in session every year at this time. The crowd calendars are never this low for August/early September. I think there are a variety of factors at play here, including COVID concerns, masks/no masks, Disney not being back to "normal", no international visitors, and hurricanes. That's in addition to the back to school dip in crowds.

Agree but I also think people are holding off Sept. trips for October trips in time for the 50th. I'll be anxious to see how this levels out after all the rush to celebrate with Mickey expires. According to TPs, the anticipated park crowds will return to 'normal' roughly within 2 weeks of 10/1. It'll take a while to see the true numbers post price increases once the 'Dumbo or Die' crowd pay homage to the mouse.

Anyone else think the crazy summer crowds had to do with re-booked airfare from shutdown times?

That was our case - we had 4 cancelled Covid trips, and no refunded airfare - only vouchers with a short expiration. We HAD to travel during school breaks, so ended up with four trips in three months - which we would NEVER do otherwise. Spring Break was pretty typical; June was busier than we were used to in June, and our July trip - the very same week we've been going to Disney for several years - was INSANE.

Now that all those vouchers have been used, and there are the other concerns we've all noted (limited experiences, Covid, lack of Mousekeeping, limited hours/perks, etc), the bubble has burst.

I do know of lots of people planning OTHER vacactions to new places too...

It feels like many want Genie+ and the new APs to fail in hopes that they will just disappear. IMO they will just offer discounts or free dining to make up for lack of sales.

Honestly, I hope Genie+ works well - so well that it really does manage crowds, lower wait times, and make park visits more enjoyable overall. I remain sskepticle, especially with the paid attractions, but still, it would be great. If it's really worth the money, then I won't have an issue with it - big if though!

Last edited:
If I’m not mistaken, they’re trying to compare the cheapest options at the other parks to the most expensive option at WDW. Still, it’s an easy choice for me - WDW. Why would I waste money on places so don’t want to go? I’d rather pay more for something I like than pay less for something I don’t.

They also aren’t calculating it based on how many attractions and shows you get access to.

If I’m not mistaken, they’re trying to compare the cheapest options at the other parks to the most expensive option at WDW. Still, it’s an easy choice for me - WDW. Why would I waste money on places I don’t want to go? I’d rather pay more for something I like than pay less for something I don’t.
You're mistaken. That is the most expensive Universal pass, not the cheapest one: https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/annual-passes/fl-resident-prices

Except that Universal + SeaWorld is a fraction of the size of Disney. If you calculated a “per attraction” rate, Disney would come out as a bit cheaper.
It's not just SeaWorld. It's also Busch Gardens as well. In top of that, those parks have the best coasters in Florida.

It's not just SeaWorld. It's also Busch Gardens as well. In top of that, those parks have the best coasters in Florida.

Disney has never been a place that tries to have the best coasters, so it seems that part of this comes down to what people want out of a theme park. Disney’s strengths have always been translating stories into immersive experiences.

Anyone else think the crazy summer crowds had to do with re-booked airfare from shutdown times?

That was our case - we had 4 cancelled Covid trips, and no refunded airfare - only vouchers with a short expiration. We HAD to travel during school breaks, so ended up with four trips in three months - which we would NEVER do otherwise. Spring Break was pretty typical; June was busier than we were used to in June, and our July trip - the very same week we've been going to Disney for several years - was INSANE.

Now that all those vouchers have been used, and there are the other concerns we've all noted (limited experiences, Covid, lack of Mousekeeping, limited hours/perks, etc), the bubble has burst.

I do know of lots of people planning OTHER vacactions to new places too...

Also, park tickets from during the shutdown were only extended until 9/29(?)/21. Sure you keep the dollar value, but ticket prices keep going up so you'll lose value if you don't use them.

Not quite apples to apples there.

The UO Premier pass with no blockout dates is $814.99 OOS, $559.99 FL Res.

Yes, it's cheaper, but then you're at Universal Studios, and how much fun is that.

Full disclosure: we have APs at Universal, SeaWorld, and will soon have them at WDW (Pirate/Silver). WDW is the most expensive, but is the main place we want to be.

Not quite apples to apples there.

The UO Premier pass with no blockout dates is $814.99 OOS, $559.99 FL Res.

Yes, it's cheaper, but then you're at Universal Studios, and how much fun is that.

Full disclosure: we have APs at Universal, SeaWorld, and will soon have them at WDW (Pirate/Silver). WDW is the most expensive, but is the main place we want to be.

Well, we will be there end of Sept, and will actually be staying DVC on Oct 1 within eye sight of Magic Kingdome.

We're going to Universal and won't spend a second inside a Disney park. So I guess the answer to your question is, "a lot more fun". :drinking:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter