the registry collection ????

janischa

Mouseketeer
hi, i recently saw a post about the registry collection (www.dvctrc.com) and i didn't quite get it.

1) Are these part of the RCI exchanges that can be booked with DVC points ? if so, are these available for people who bought points via resale ?
2) I saw somewhere someone saying these places are 400 points per week and somewhere else 600 points per week ? Since i don't have my points yet (still in the purchase process), i can't access MS. Can i still look up somewhere how much points these will cost ? I particularly like the Whiteface Lodge and the Teton Club (i'd go somewhere in december or january if i'd ever go). Is there anyone willing to have a look how much points these would cost for a 1 or 2 bedroom (in the case i can't acces it myself) ?
3) How would you progress to book such places ? Say i can plan 2 years ahead, do i sign up for a waitlist or so ? Like is anyone willing to have a look for me if there is any availability for these 2 places this december/january 2012 or december/january 2013 ?

i hope someone is willing to give me some advice.
please don't hijack this thread into a discussion why it would be better to use my points only for DVC stays.... i already know that :-) :-)

I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about the Registry Collection but here's what I do know (or think I know in this case).

The Registry Collection is a separate upscale RCI exchange system with specific member resorts (or part of resorts). Where the part of the resorts comes in is that resorts often have upscale options within a given resort. Last I saw there were around 175 properties involved and the info stated 30K or so members which I suspect is misleading due to the fact that many of these options are available through regular RCI channels as well. One can find the website for this option HERE. Looking through the list there are many option that are available through RCI as well (though the units may or may not be the same ones or quality) and many that are not available through RCI directly, at least most of which that are not appear to be fractional ownerships.

While exchanging DVC is tricky and often not a good value, that goes double (even triple) for using DVC points for the Registry Collection. Granted, many of these resorts are very high end but some (Trapp, Grand Mayan, Grand Regina, etc) are available through RCI (II also for Trapp) for non DVC members. Here's an extreme but real life example. If you go to DVC's website you'll see that HIGH season points are 600/900 for 1/2 BR. Last Jan we stayed at the GM in Cabo through RCI (it was readily available) for around $300 total per week including exchange fees and indirect costs. Our stay would have been 1500 points through DVC, at $10 a point, that's $15K.

As I see it's basically a specialty product for those that don't care about costs but want options, then again, maybe it would fit in with some DVC members in this regard. I think it also is a marketing tool for some of the resorts much like any recognition award might be used.

thanks Dean. You're absolutely right... i've been comparing cash prices to how much it would cost me via DVC (accounting for each DVC point a value of 6 usd, being MF plus a round up for the upfront purchase cost) and cash was much cheaper unless for high high season. and even there i suspect one would be able to find cheaper options (maybe via renting via an RCI member ?)

i'm really starting to get this lack of value in using dvc points in exchanges :-) i already knew, but now it's really sinking in.... good i bought my points mainly for disney stays :-)

thanks Dean. You're absolutely right... i've been comparing cash prices to how much it would cost me via DVC (accounting for each DVC point a value of 6 usd, being MF plus a round up for the upfront purchase cost) and cash was much cheaper unless for high high season. and even there i suspect one would be able to find cheaper options (maybe via renting via an RCI member ?)

i'm really starting to get this lack of value in using dvc points in exchanges :-) i already knew, but now it's really sinking in.... good i bought my points mainly for disney stays :-)
Can't rent an RCI exchange but could rent from an owner at a given resort. For some (esp MX), another option is to join the Independent Exchange Company, SFX, who tends to have the GM resorts on their cash getaway lists commonly as well as other great options. They also have them for exchange which would be cheaper than the Registry Collection. A 1 BR OKW off season unit would likely get you a 2 BR and/or a bonus week at many MX resorts.

okay dean, now i only understood half of what you said :-)
i've only just been mastering the disney and dvc language in the past year :-)
so what is MX and what are the gm resorts ?
what is a cash getaway list ?
do you pay to become a member of sfx or do you buy points ?
when you stayed at the gm (what is that ?) in cabo through rci, is that because you also bought rci timeshare points ?

sorry for asking so many questions....

okay dean, now i only understood half of what you said :-)
i've only just been mastering the disney and dvc language in the past year :-)
so what is MX and what are the gm resorts ?
what is a cash getaway list ?
do you pay to become a member of sfx or do you buy points ?
when you stayed at the gm (what is that ?) in cabo through rci, is that because you also bought rci timeshare points ?

sorry for asking so many questions....
  • MX is Mexico
  • GM is The Grand Mayan Resorts I referenced in my earlier post.
  • Many exchange companies rent certain inventory. RCI and II does this (two main exchange companies) but also so does SFX and others (independent, smaller exchange companies). One can join SFX for free but they have an upgraded service (2 levels) that requires a membership fee.
  • Our GM stay was through RCI directly. We own with RCI (weeks and points) as well as II (Marriott).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter