*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

Are the boats to MK not wheelchair accessible?

I feel like it's nearly impossible to avoid paint fumes at Disney. They are always painting something at every resort and park it seems.
The gold flag MK-GF-Poly route runs 2 different size boats. For the smaller boats I think you’d need to transfer & fold up the wheelchair. For the larger boats I believe you can roll on via a ramp. When I was there 2 months ago it seemed the boats alternated, I’d see a small boat, the next boat to arrive would be a big boat, next small, etc. - so you might have to wait if you needed to board the bigger boat.
We were there 14 days & hopped over to Captain Cooks at the Poly for lunch several times via the boats rather than dealing w/ the walkway/Poly2 construction mess, so I saw a lot of boats.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for giving me your advice and experiences. I appreciate it. I have to wait until the 7th month mark because I have already used all my GFV points for other reservations. Thanks again!

For the smaller boats I think you’d need to transfer & fold up the wheelchair.
I may be mistaken, but I believe the smaller boats don't accept passengers using manual wheelchairs. There's simply nowhere to put even a folded chair.
For the larger boats I believe you can roll on via a ramp.
No ramp is used on these, unlike the Epcot Friendships. The pilot brings the boat close to the dock's edge, and people run chairs, ECVs and large strollers over any gap, which is usually minimal. If the boat deck isn't pretty level with the dock, a crew member asks passengers to move to one side of the boat or the other to raise or lower as needed.
When I was there 2 months ago it seemed the boats alternated, I’d see a small boat, the next boat to arrive would be a big boat, next small, etc. - so you might have to wait if you needed to board the bigger boat.
Yes, this is how it usually works. If you get to the dock before the boat arrives, the skipper will know which is coming.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the smaller boats don't accept passengers using manual wheelchairs. There's simply nowhere to put even a folded chair.

No ramp is used on these, unlike the Epcot Friendships. The pilot brings the boat close to the dock's edge, and people run chairs, ECVs and large strollers over any gap, which is usually minimal. If the boat deck isn't pretty level with the dock, a crew member asks passengers to move to one side of the boat or the other to raise or lower as needed.

Yes, this is how it usually works. If you get to the dock before the boat arrives, the skipper will know which is coming.
Thanks for clarifying, I thought I noticed folks folding strollers for the smaller boats, but didn’t see any wheelchairs & wasn’t paying much attention to how others loaded. I’ve never been asked to help level the boat - now I’m looking forward to doing that some day :)

Does anyone have a more recent update on the path from GF to Poly? I will be arriving on the 18th of Feb.Food/drinks/relaxing walks are easier when you can bop back and forth!
Thanks!

Walked it this morning. Due to construction, the path crosses the main road and back again 100 yards later.

Not really a relaxing walk with the road traffic and construction noise. So yes, still walkable, but really kills the ambience.

Some Updated Pictures on WDWNT

Sugar Loaf:

Grand Flo consturction updates131

Grand Flo construction updates15(1)

Grand Flo construction updates15(1)

Grand Flo construction updates16(1)

The stairwell on one side of the building has been completely removed leaving large openings. Only the doors leading into the building remain.

Here we can see what’s been going on behind the large, white construction walls. Workers seem to be using the area as a walkway and a space to bring in materials for the extensive remodel.

GrandFlo construction monorail view7(1)

Here, alongside the Sago Cay building, we can see construction workers bringing in what looks like additional white walls for the construction barricade.
GrandFlo construction monorail view8(1)

GrandFlo construction monorail view6(1)

Grand Flo construction update

Narcoosee’s

Narcooses construction10(1)

Narcooses construction6(1)

Narcooses construction9(1)

Trying to decide between vgf and riviera for our first dvc contract. Thought we were set in vgf but having second thoughts.

Read a few bits online about the walls being paper thin and being able to hear a lot of noise from neighbours. We have very young children so almost the reverse situation in that I wouldn’t want any noise / crying coming from us to disturb others.

My wife is also concerned that the the resort is quite busy?

Do the pool areas get very busy year round or are there usually free loungers etc?

I can't attest to the new resort studios, never having stayed there. We've never had a problem with noise in VGF1 other than joyful kids' voices in the hallway, clearly eager to go see Mickey and Minnie. Honestly, I think DVCers on the whole are more considerate of their neighbors than we sometimes experienced in the GF itself from the "liquidly enhanced" late at night.

Not sure what you/spouse may term "quite busy." We generally go in mid-November. Even with people coming to see the main lobby Christmas tree and gingerbread house, there ordinarily haven't been more than 2-3 dozen or so in that spacious oval most of the day. The occasional wedding party may add somewhat more to the mix, but those are generally taking a few photos or headed to feast somewhere and don't linger.

Personally, I'd pick VGF for that clever Mad Hatter splashpad. One of these days, I'm going to sneak into that myself. It looks like such fun! Can't advise further on the pools as we're always too busy park-going and resting up from that to swim.

If you can be specific regarding what times of the year you're most likely to go, we can likely give you better info.

Good luck making your choice.

Trying to decide between vgf and riviera for our first dvc contract. Thought we were set in vgf but having second thoughts.

Read a few bits online about the walls being paper thin and being able to hear a lot of noise from neighbours. We have very young children so almost the reverse situation in that I wouldn’t want any noise / crying coming from us to disturb others.

Do the pool areas get very busy year round or are there usually free loungers etc?

I stay at both almost every trip and both are lovely. RIV is our favorite and will say that I have had better luck finding chairs at the pool mid day at RIV then VGF…but the little splash area at VGF is pretty cool.

But, we don’t travel with littles very often and VGF can’t be beat for getting easily to and from the MK.

I do think getting resort studios at VGF will be easier at 7 months most of the year vs, getting SV studios at RIV which do require home resort advantage. Then again, I think the deluxe studios at the original VGF building also will require home resort advantage.

IMO loud noises are going to be heard by neighbors no matter what the resort. Either they have connecting doors, people below and above you etc. In our ground floor SSR stay a couple of weeks ago I would guess we cycled thru 3 families above us. The 1st ones - elephants, talking etc. The 2nd ones - nary a noise - just enough to know someone was above us. The 3rd ones - not too bad really but still could hear some of their actions. At Jambo house one trip we knew exactly why the teenager didn't want to be there and why dad and mom were not happy about that. :rolleyes: Kidani - lots of noise from the hallway travelers. etc. etc.

The point - noise happens. Buy where you want to stay. With young kids you will likely find the MK is the park of most interest and being close can be golden.

Hi qwerty2k we have stayed at both resorts within the last 12 months, me, DH & our 2 kids 15 & 11 years old.

We stayed for 7 nts in a GFV resort studio last August and I can honestly say we had NO noise issues. Whether that was because we were lucky, or out doing the parks for very long days, or we are just really heavy sleepers idk?! At the time the only noise we experienced was from the construction workers who were working on the adjacent building. The pool nearest BPK was never busy when we went in it and sunbeds were readily available. We didn’t go to the splash pad so I can‘t speak for that. BPK was so close to everything we loved it! Lots of food options readily available at GFV: Gasparillas, The GF Cafe, Citricos & hopefully Narcoossees again soon. Fireworks & electric light water pageant views from your resort are magical.

We also stayed for 8 nts in a dlx preferred view studio at RR over Easter 2022. The room layout was nice, but the view of CBR wasn’t my idea of “preferred`. The resort felt a little too generic and theme light imho. Many missed opportunities imho eg. no proper boulangerie, charcuterie, additional food/drink options. There’s only Toppolino’s for TS and the menu didn’t suit our party, although I know many rave about it. The quick service was really good though. We did have adverse noise issues with our studio here too, some from guests and once by maintenance. We were awoken by maintenance one morning at 8 am drilling/repairing the sofa bed thing in the next door room?! The RVA grounds are very pretty but we did struggle to get sunbeds at the family pool quite a few times. Plenty of sunbeds at the quiet pool but this was quite shady by the afternoon, and not so small child friendly as the other pool.The skyliner access is fun but is hugely frustrating when weather interrupts its operation.

In summary we obviously enjoyed both resorts, but I think for me especially with very small children I’d be more inclined to GFV. At the end of the day tbh it’s whatever makes your family & dynamic work best and be happy. No wrong answers.

We own VGF but we also really enjoyed our first stay at RIV last year (possibly my 2nd favorite resort now.) However, with young kids, the closeness to MK you get with VGF really can't be beat. We love the monorail, boat and walking path. The pools and kids splash pad are fantastic and we've always been able to find chairs, although maybe it's trickier if you're just getting to the pool in the middle of the afternoon during peak times. The pools and splash pad themselves have never felt crowded. As far as "feeling busy", I notice that the most in the main lobby of the resort. It's true that the GF gets a lot more foot traffic for its restaurants, multiple shops, holiday displays, etc. But on the flip side, if you're staying in the original VGF building, their little lobby is gorgeous and peaceful (and comparable in size to RIV.) I've only stayed in Big Pine Key in a resort studio once and did not have noise issues (although we also did not have a connecting door.) Have never had any noise issues in the original VGF building. As far as RIV, their kids splash pad (themed to Fantasia) is also fabulous and we really enjoyed their pool area too. Skyliner to 2 parks is wonderful also and we definitely made the most of that, but still missed the direct access to MK. I will give RIV the advantage for feeling more "DVC" though - don't know if it was the cast members, or maybe the fact that they have a community hall room there, or maybe more DVC specific merchandise, etc - but we really felt like part of the club there and it was a cool feeling!

Wow. Thank you so much for all the replies, it’s very much appreciated. We are going to be in WDW a week on Monday (staying at Caribbean beach) so I think we will look around both riviera and vgf before we make our final decision…but I am leaning vgf! You have reassured me on some of our concerns.

I've never seen this VGF pin before and now I really want one! Does anyone know if it's possible to get them onsite in WDW or are they DCL exclusive? We won't be "home" until the fall, but I will definitely ask at the DVC kiosk if these are available...

DVC Swag When Sailing on a Disney Cruise
DVC_Disney-Cruise-Swag_2023d.jpeg
I have one of these pins. They give you one when you take the VGF Tour with a Guide.

I would give you mine, but it cost me $20,000.

I have one of these pins. They give you one when you take the VGF Tour with a Guide.

I would give you mine, but it cost me $20,000.
LOL, you definitely should not part with such an expensive pin! This explains why I didn't get one then; I wasn't onsite when we purchased our contract and never did a tour or anything. I'd have thought maybe they'd offer them at the DVC kiosk in the villas lobby, but they only gave us the Alice in Wonderland print there. I'm definitely going to ask for the pin the next time we're there though!

Starting to get nervous with the sound issue for our trip in May in a Resort Studio. We have just a standard view, any advice to help with the noise or any room requests we should do to help?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter