*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

Just received an email from Disney:

Dear Guest,​
Welcome home!​
In an effort to continually enhance the Guest experience here at the Walt Disney World® Resort and The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa we often refresh our offerings. In preparation for your upcoming stay, we would like to make you aware of renovations that will be taking place during your visit. While we work our magic, you will see or hear construction during daytime hours.

Please refer to the Know Before You Go page for the most up-to-date hours, amenities and information on what will be available to you such as dining, merchandise and recreation locations. While transportation options will be available for convenient access to Magic Kingdom Park, the walking path may be unavailable during your stay.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know that we are making every effort to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact your original booking agent.​
For reservations made through Disney Vacation Club® Member Services, please call 800-800-9800 or 407-566-3800 between the hours of 9:00am-9:00pm (ET) Monday through Friday or 9:00am-7:00pm (ET) Saturday and Sunday.​
General Manager Cosmo Kapoor and the team at The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa look forward to your arrival and wish you a truly magical stay!​
Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC

I’m not sure where exactly it is posted, but here is the official Disney announcement, according to Blog Mickey:

As we prepare to refurbish more guest rooms and buildings at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, the walking path between Grand Floridian and Magic Kingdom Park will be temporarily closed beginning Feb. 13 and is expected to reopen late this spring. Boat and monorail transportation will remain available to Guests traveling to Magic Kingdom.

It’s possible it was a statement released and not on the website just yet.
Thanks! I just got the email about 5 mins ago, so maybe they got one sooner.

I just got the email for a late Nov/early Dec stay. I was hoping the refurbs would be finished by then. I wonder what they'll still be working on by then.

I just got the email for my early November stay too. I can't imagine some of this wouldn't be wrapped up by the holidays, in time for all of the lobby traffic for the gingerbread house and tree... I wonder if they just figure it's safer to send this to everyone, just in case there are delays?

I just got the e-mail about the walkway as well. For reference, our check-in day is June 5th.

Was hoping it’d be wrapped up by then, but the reports of Nov/Dec arrivals receiving it too aren’t encouraging..

Does anyone here know if the GF main building refurb has begun yet?

We're really apprehensive that our May 7-13 stay in VGF1 will be somewhat affected by the fact that DH uses a powerchair and is highly allergic to paint fumes. We use the monorail often. He won't be able to get to the station safely if there is any painting in the GF public areas.

After receiving the email, he called MS and learned there's no other DVC resort that has the MM Thursday available that week. Guess why we wanted to go then along with bunches of other DVCers? Paying cash to move somewhere else was the only option.

I guess if the main building is being done while we're there, we'll be using our car much more than we like--which will be a real pain getting to MK.

In short, we've enough WDW experience to do workarounds, but dangit! not very magical. Especially not after we switched a 1-night BWV BW view to VGF1 thinking no paint fume issues at our favorite resort. <gggrrrrr>

Staying at VGF starting on 2/11. Thankfully our Magic Kingdom day is 2/12. I was already a bit ticked at having a more inconvenient walk over to the Poly...but I would've been pretty upset if I couldn't walk to MK. Fingers crossed the timing works out.

So with all this talk of construction at the Grand I am wondering if the Polynesian construction at all affects the DVC Villas? Noise? Views of a dirt pit? Anyone there or been there recently with photos?

Just sharing a happy…decided today, 10 days into my 11 months window, that we wanted to spend NYE and the following week at the Grand. My expectations were not high logging into the DVC website, but I was able to get nine nights in a standard one bedroom over New Year’s Eve with no trouble! I couldn’t believe it! We spent this past NYE at Copper Creek and had intentions of visiting the Grand to see the gingerbread house, but never made it over. I’m so excited to get to have a do over this winter!!

Good morning all! Can I get fellow owners opinions/reviews on the new resort studios? I'm planning a girls trip for the late fall.

We usually stay in a one bedroom at BLT or AKV because of the set up with two bathrooms and extra space in general. But I'm dying to stay at my new home resort just concerned it might be too much closeness and only one bathroom! Points are tight since this will be my third trip this year so we need to make things work in a studio. I need more points but that is a different post for a different day. Thanks!

Haven't stayed there, but just DH and I find the deluxe studio cramped. Of course, our experience is somewhat affected by needing an accessible one, single bathroom in those which takes up space.

I'd say the decision depends on whether floorspace and two queen beds (resort studio) are more important than two bathrooms and a kitchenette with sink now that you'd have a Murphy queen instead of the not-so-comfy sofa bed (deluxe).

The resort studio has a sort-of food prep area requiring using the bathroom sink for cleanup. It does have a microwave and "beverage cooler." If counting on keeping any foods safely chilled for very long, you may prefer the deluxe's actual minifridge. The built-in caddies in the door of the mini-fridge are very useful for storing soda cans and other containers to free fridge space. The beverage cooler has none, only a flat panel door.

Also, you'll dash through the rain, if any, to get from BPK to the main building or to Gaspy's entrance. No canopy such as from VGF1 to the GF's main entrance.

Those would be my considerations if doing a girls trip. Hope this helps you decide.

Very helpful considerations. We do not cook on vacation and minimally use the microwave. The bathroom situation is the most concerning issue. But if we take shifts (one showering in the evening and one in the morning) that would speed things up.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Good morning all! Can I get fellow owners opinions/reviews on the new resort studios? I'm planning a girls trip for the late fall.

We usually stay in a one bedroom at BLT or AKV because of the set up with two bathrooms and extra space in general. But I'm dying to stay at my new home resort just concerned it might be too much closeness and only one bathroom! Points are tight since this will be my third trip this year so we need to make things work in a studio. I need more points but that is a different post for a different day. Thanks!
Two bathrooms is definitely nice when you have 4 people. The Resort Studios have only one, but the toilet can be closed off from the rest of the bathroom (via a pocket door). There are two sinks and two actual queen beds. That's an advantage over the sleep sofas in the BLT & AKV 1 bedrooms, although it's probably not an advantage over the twin sleep chair at BLT.

If points are tight, I think it's workable - especially if you wont be spending all that much time in the room. Food & Wine Festival is lots of fun. ;)

Does anyone here know if the GF main building refurb has begun yet?

We're really apprehensive that our May 7-13 stay in VGF1 will be somewhat affected by the fact that DH uses a powerchair and is highly allergic to paint fumes. We use the monorail often. He won't be able to get to the station safely if there is any painting in the GF public areas.

After receiving the email, he called MS and learned there's no other DVC resort that has the MM Thursday available that week. Guess why we wanted to go then along with bunches of other DVCers? Paying cash to move somewhere else was the only option.

I guess if the main building is being done while we're there, we'll be using our car much more than we like--which will be a real pain getting to MK.

In short, we've enough WDW experience to do workarounds, but dangit! not very magical. Especially not after we switched a 1-night BWV BW view to VGF1 thinking no paint fume issues at our favorite resort. <gggrrrrr>
Are the boats to MK not wheelchair accessible?

I feel like it's nearly impossible to avoid paint fumes at Disney. They are always painting something at every resort and park it seems.

Two bathrooms is definitely nice when you have 4 people. The Resort Studios have only one, but the toilet can be closed off from the rest of the bathroom (via a pocket door). There are two sinks and two actual queen beds. That's an advantage over the sleep sofas in the BLT & AKV 1 bedrooms, although it's probably not an advantage over the twin sleep chair at BLT.

If points are tight, I think it's workable - especially if you wont be spending all that much time in the room. Food & Wine Festival is lots of fun. ;)
Nice points! There are only two of us. You can tell we are spoiled with the one bedrooms but since I'm greedy and planning three trips this year some sacrifices have to be made! It sounds like the resort studio will work. Thanks!!

Nice points! There are only two of us. You can tell we are spoiled with the one bedrooms but since I'm greedy and planning three trips this year some sacrifices have to be made! It sounds like the resort studio will work. Thanks!!
My DH & I also prefer 1 bedrooms. We recently bought VGF and now begin longer trips with 3 nights in a resort studio. Very workable for two! The BPK building is a very convenient location. Our last stay in a standard resort studio had a nice view of the MK fireworks.

I did 4 nights in a resort studio in October with a girlfriend. It worked out perfectly fine for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter