*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

Still no call or any word on Disney starting renovations!! I can’t imagine them starting over the holiday week. Wish they’d say something one way or another so we know if we’ll be impacted.

So got a reservation in June for VGF for 9 nights in a 2BR. We were trying to decide if we wanted to switch our reservation to VGF but figured it might be the last year of being able to get 2BRs with all the new members joining only with Studios.

Hoping the renovations are done by when we get there in June or at least are not noticeable anymore.

Just watched the most recent DVC Show episode (top 5 DVC resorts - by fan poll), and I have to say, I was surprised to see (spoiler alert), VGF at #10.. Granted, I'm a little biased since VGF is my home, but my only guesses are that 1. the resort is small, so relatively fewer people have had a chance to stay there, 2. it's a bit cost prohibitive (both in dollars and points), and 3. this notion that it's "stuffy" or not a good resort for families with small children (which I don't agree with at all, but to each their own).

BLT was #2 and the only thing that resort has going for it is location, with very little theming to speak of. And VGF can compete with that now that the walking path is open.

Anyway, I guess that just means less competition for my favorite/home resort, so I'll take that!

Just watched the most recent DVC Show episode (top 5 DVC resorts - by fan poll), and I have to say, I was surprised to see (spoiler alert), VGF at #10.. Granted, I'm a little biased since VGF is my home, but my only guesses are that 1. the resort is small, so relatively fewer people have had a chance to stay there, 2. it's a bit cost prohibitive (both in dollars and points), and 3. this notion that it's "stuffy" or not a good resort for families with small children (which I don't agree with at all, but to each their own).

BLT was #2 and the only thing that resort has going for it is location, with very little theming to speak of. And VGF can compete with that now that the walking path is open.

Anyway, I guess that just means less competition for my favorite/home resort, so I'll take that!
Another possible issue with VGF that might have affected the vote is that it is far from the main building, meaning it’s far from the Monorail, bus stop, food court, etc.

Really, VGF feels kinda jammed in between the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian.

Another possible issue with VGF that might have affected the vote is that it is far from the main building, meaning it’s far from the Monorail, bus stop, food court, etc.

Really, VGF feels kinda jammed in between the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian.

I think it’s funny when people complain that the villas are far from the main building. It’s such a quick walk underneath a covered awning to get to the Main Bldg./monorail and a stroll over to the boat. And now you can walk to MK! I personally feel like the resort is so compact and so easy to get everywhere you need to get in a short amount of time. To each their own, though. More availability for me! 😜

I think it’s funny when people complain that the villas are far from the main building. It’s such a quick walk underneath a covered awning to get to the Main Bldg./monorail and a stroll over to the boat. And now you can walk to MK! I personally feel like the resort is so compact and so easy to get everywhere you need to get in a short amount of time. To each their own, though. More availability for me! 😜
I agree, I like it being away from the main building. I also like the fact that I can walk to the main building on a covered walkway in about 3 minutes.

Personally, that's one of the reasons I like it. Double the food options between GF/Poly for a very nominal, picturesque walk either way. Plus the gym is directly across the VGF Lobby which helps me feel better psychologically (assuming I use it!) when I'm inhaling brisket sliders at Enchanted Rose or lapu lapus at Ohana...

& #2 - BLT is convenient to the monorail??? I visited TOTWL in BLT once & seem to recall a rather breezy uncovered skyway I had to walk across to get over to the main building & then on to the monorail.
One of my concerns before I bought VGF was that on the map the building looked to be a long way from the main building, then I stayed in the DVC building & realized that it wasn’t far away at all. To me the GF grounds feel serene & I really enjoy wandering around.
Interesting that unlike the DVC fan show poll (whatever that is) DVC seems to think more VGF points for sale will work - hence the conversion of Big Pine Key. I seem to recall that when VGF first went on sale it sold out pretty fast.

& #2 - BLT is convenient to the monorail??? I visited TOTWL in BLT once & seem to recall a rather breezy uncovered skyway I had to walk across to get over to the main building & then on to the monorail.
One of my concerns before I bought VGF was that on the map the building looked to be a long way from the main building, then I stayed in the DVC building & realized that it wasn’t far away at all. To me the GF grounds feel serene & I really enjoy wandering around.
Interesting that unlike the DVC fan show poll (whatever that is) DVC seems to think more VGF points for sale will work - hence the conversion of Big Pine Key. I seem to recall that when VGF first went on sale it sold out pretty fast.

I too thought it appeared distant from the main building until we stayed at VGF, and the location turned out to be absolutely perfect. Not distant at all (seemed as short a walk as the other buildings, shorter than some), by far the closest to the spa and gym, closest building to pool/slide/bar. And covered walkway! I’m not sure about walks at other resorts, but BCV for example feels very far from the main lobby.

It also seems odd that it would be ranked as one of the least liked resorts at #10, but resale buyers are willing to pay more for it than any other DVC at WDW Florida (#1 in cost).

I too thought it appeared distant from the main building until we stayed at VGF, and the location turned out to be absolutely perfect. Not distant at all (seemed as short a walk as the other buildings, shorter than some), by far the closest to the spa and gym, closest building to pool/slide/bar. And covered walkway! I’m not sure about walks at other resorts, but BCV for example feels very far from the main lobby.

It also seems odd that it would be ranked as one of the least liked resorts at #10, but resale buyers are willing to pay more for it than any other DVC at WDW Florida (#1 in cost).
I totally agree on both VGF and BCV!

you're 100% right!! I'm SURE if I had changed our resort I would have regretted it the whole time and if little things had gone wrong, or wasn't as magical I would have been thinking the whole time "I"m sure if we were at the VGF, then this would have been different"!

and...it's too late now since the room at BLT is GONE!

oh well - my plan is to stay at BLT next October, so I'm going to live it up at the VGF in ONE week from today!!

thanks everyone for supporting my fancy-pantness!!

:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc:lovestruc
So, I need an update ‘Mrs. Fancy Pants’!
Was it everything you dreamed it would be?!

Still no call or any word on Disney starting renovations!! I can’t imagine them starting over the holiday week. Wish they’d say something one way or another so we know if we’ll be impacted.

Renovations have started somewhere in the building. Local antique malls, such as Forever Vintage & Surplus, is already selling the mirror, girl on bicycle with Duffy picture, and octagon rug from the 1-bedroom villas. Photos are posted on their Instagram account. The photo with the stacked mirrors shows seven displayed, so, it seems as though one floor might be underway.

Renovations have started somewhere in the building. Local antique malls, such as Forever Vintage & Surplus, is already selling the mirror, girl on bicycle with Duffy picture, and octagon rug from the 1-bedroom villas. Photos are posted on their Instagram account. The photo with the stacked mirrors shows seven displayed, so, it seems as though one floor might be underway.

It said on the Forever Vintage & Surplus facebook page that it was from a 3 bedroom. I'm so glad they've started!!

It said on the Forever Vintage & Surplus facebook page that it was from a 3 bedroom. I'm so glad they've started!!

Thanks so much, I appreciate the heads up!! I guess no notices so far for relocation, so that’s good!!

To all who are interested...

We had a great trip overall, but we did have some “bummer parts” and I’ll get to that, but here’s the nitty gritty.

We landed at 9:30am (as expected) and were picked up Tiffany Town car, which will now be our new means of transportation to/from MCO!

Got to the VGF at 10:15ish after a quick stop at Publix for water and wine!!

Literally walked into the lobby of the Villas, and our bags were put on a luggage cart, we were told that unless we’d already received a notice saying our room was ready (which we already knew it was not) then there was no need to go to the desk because they were fully booked and it would be a while! With our luggage tag in hand we headed to the MK via the monorail!

We had annual pass renewals that we had to activate so we got in the (long) line outside MK and within 15-20 min we had new APs with the 50th design on them and then popped in the line to get pictures in front of the park.

Now, at this time I needed/wanted to buy Genie + so we could try it out so once we tapped into the park I tried to buy it but as I worked my way through the system the purple button to buy it wasn’t active so we found a blue umbrella Guest Experience Team member inside the park and she bought it for us. I asked about why it didn’t work and they weren’t sure but that if I couldn’t buy it again in the morning to go to the front desk and someone there could help me…(insert ominous background music..) We got a text at 2:02pm saying our room, #1303, was ready!

Needless to say our day at MK would have been better if not for the rain as we planned on taking advantage of extended evening hours for deluxe guests and we had a dinner reservation at LTT….however, it was raining and we were wet..so we pivoted and I did some sneaky changes..I “changed” my LTT ADR to some later date in December, and then we booked a Citricos dinner at 5:35pm and headed back to the resort for dry clothes! Dinner at Citricos was FABULOUS!!!!!!! Its been a few years (2016) since we stayed at the GF and ate there and we are definitely going back in March 22…

The next morning I tried to buy Genie + again since we were headed to Epcot and I wanted a LL for TT, but it was a NO GO….(whomp…whomp..) so at 6:3am I headed to the lobby where the friendliest CM assisted in buying the Genie + for me – super quick and easy. I then headed back to the room, got my VQ for Remi (#24), LL for Test Track and placed my QS order for Gasparilla’s.

The day was again great, and there was more rain in the afternoon..dinner at Via Napoli was delicious as always! We took the monorail back to MK and then walked back to the GF (DH had us get on the wrong monorail..) BUT we did catch the water parade and saw the new 50th addition which was a winner and made up for the extra walking!

The next day was HS and Disney + day so it was opening for resort guests at 8am, so I was up super early again to buy Genie + which once again didn’t work. By now, I’ve been chatting with the folks via the app who have directed me to Disney IT who say that having an android can be a problem with the system. Once again, I head to the lobby and the same CN helped me purchase Genie +.

We arrived at HS by 7:45amish and folks were already being let in so we “walked with purpose” to SW land and got in line for Rise – I did go against DH’s wishes and I purchased MMRR for later that morning and I’m glad I did or we wouldn’t have been able to ride what we did. We rode Slinky after Rise and then Mickey & Minnie and TSM, and RNRRC, lunch @ 50s PT, and more TSM and lots of pictures – the park was busy!!

We did leave the park by 3pm since we had tickets to the Merriest After Hours event that night at MK and we wanted to take showers and sit for a bit which was a great plan! We had dinner at Steakhouse 71 which was DELICIOUS and we’ll be back again! We walked to MK about 7:45pm, got our Party bands and made it to the MK Christmas tree right when the Enchantment started and watched from there – we LOVED the show and then ducked into the Confectionary once it was over to avoid the masses leaving the park. That night we rode Buzz, PeopleMover, the Cars (I hadn’t riden that since 2016 and wanted to do it !!) 7DMT, HM and Pirates and then we watched the fireworks show and the FULL PARADE….we picked up 6-8 free snickerdoodle cookies, free waters and a mickey ice cream sandwich! It had been a long night and we were in bed by 2am…

I was up by 6:15am….to see about that dumb Genie + , but now Disney IT had realized I was a little upset that (1) I couldn’t buy it myself and (2) I’d spent so much time on email/chat with them that they offered to comp us Genie + on this day which was great – it was in my account when I got up and I was able to get a BG for Remi (#71) and a LL for TT…we were dragging this day and didn’t get to Epcot until after 10am…

We had lunch at the new crepe place and it was DELICIOUS and dinner at Space 220 which was out of this world! (HAHA…get it?? )

Can I just say that the VQ for Remi is A HOT MESS…and not a good one like a melted marshmellow….but your group is called – and by the way, our group #71, was originally estimated to be called at 1pm…but we actually got called at 3:30 – and THEN you wait in line for 45 minutes…now, it tells you that on the app, but still…hot mess I tell you!

Our ride back to the airport with Tiffany Towncar was great and we were upgraded from a Town Car to an SUV and it was great!

Overall a fabulous trip!! Pictures and comments in the next thread!

We reserved a 1 br, standard view and got room #1303, here is the view off the balcony, looking towards the right - our room was the last room before the "corner"..

Here is looking straight ahead..

and to the left - in the distance is the monorail but I was never good enough to snap a picture while it was going by!

and here is the FAR left...that's the walkway we took to get to the GF!

they are cleaning the Penguin fountain so this was the best view from the 3rd floor looking down!

Here are the toiletries in the room - they were refreshed the first 2 days out of our 4 night stay..so we had toiletries on arrival Wednesday, and then they refreshed them Thurs & Friday but not Saturday and we left on Sunday. Towels were replaced daily along with the trash taken out. The bed was never made but that was fine with us!

the living room

the kitchen - and my JUNK on the table!

continued in next post...

Here is the display of the new DVC purse/wallet they have for sale - this was in the VGF lobby just next to the DVC table..
Here is a picture of the lobby looking down (Wednesday night..)

Gingerbread house - on the backside...

Gingerbread house on the front - up close

Gingerbread house zoomed out..

this is the chocolate sculpture inside Gasparillas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter