The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

So pleased to see this thread on the front page. I had come to the forum to find it. My DH and I booked the NYC-Quebec cruise on opening day and we're looking forward to it. Our daughter and her boyfriend are also booked, but as recent college graduates they're not sure if they'll be able to make the financial or time commitment. They will know closer to PIF, I'm sure. I appreciate all the information on Quebec City and Montreal. I do hope we get to see some Fall color. My part of Texas doesn't do Fall. We get excited when we no longer hit 90+ for the high temperature. Still waiting for a consistent sub-90 stretch.

So pleased to see this thread on the front page. I had come to the forum to find it. My DH and I booked the NYC-Quebec cruise on opening day and we're looking forward to it. Our daughter and her boyfriend are also booked, but as recent college graduates they're not sure if they'll be able to make the financial or time commitment. They will know closer to PIF, I'm sure. I appreciate all the information on Quebec City and Montreal. I do hope we get to see some Fall color. My part of Texas doesn't do Fall. We get excited when we no longer hit 90+ for the high temperature. Still waiting for a consistent sub-90 stretch.

I have a feeling you will enjoy Quebec's weather! ;)

Curious how the fall colors are looking? I saw about a week ago you mentioned there was a little bit beginning. The cruise we are taking (not DCL) will have us in Quebec on Oct 3 and 4, so exactly a year from now. I know the timing varies from year to year, but was curious what you are seeing right now.

Thanks!

Curious how the fall colors are looking? I saw about a week ago you mentioned there was a little bit beginning. The cruise we are taking (not DCL) will have us in Quebec on Oct 3 and 4, so exactly a year from now. I know the timing varies from year to year, but was curious what you are seeing right now.

Thanks!

Here in Montreal, a little yellow and a little red here and there but Quebec being almost always 2 or 3 degrees colder than Montreal during fall, you should get a little bit more colors in Quebec. Of course it can change from year to year but the odds are you are going to get very nice backgrounds. This week we're having weather between 55 and 70 degrees. I'd say it is normal weather for the beginning of October.

BUT no worries. Saguenay is even more in the north than Quebec and Baie-Comeau even more in the north than Saguenay. I can say with confidence that you are going to get all ranges of colors during your cruise. :)

I plan on spending 2 nights in NYC pre cruise and 2 nights in Montreal post cruise. I booked the Embassy Suites in Old Montreal after cruise ...not sure about NYC yet. Hotel stays plus food cost more per night then cruises these days. Hotel prices are getting crazy everywhere. If you can find a hotel under 200.00 a night these days your're getting a great deal. The embassy suites in Montreal is 254.00 a night plus tax...less if you only need one bed. Not outrageous, but NYC... that's a challenge.

Last edited:
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
I plan on spending 2 nights in NYC pre cruise and 2 nights in Montreal post cruise. I booked the Embassy Suites in Old Montreal after cruise ...not sure about NYC yet. Hotel stays plus food cost more per night then cruises these days. Hotel prices are getting crazy everywhere. If you can find a hotel under 200.00 a night these days your're getting a great deal. The embassy suites in Montreal is 254.00 a night plus tax...less if you only need one bed. Not outrageous, but NYC... that's a challenge.

Embassy suites: Good hotel (that I know of). Excellent location. You'll be very close to the subway station and right at the entrance of Old Montreal. If you need to take the 747 bus to get to the Airport, your hotel is only a 5 min walk from the bus stop.

For NYC: I would suggest to look for hotels situated in Chelsea (West side) or near Empire State Building (East side). I have also found great rates in Cozy Rooms at the W on Lexington. You will notice a great difference in prices between those vs Times Square/Central Park hotels.

For NYC: I would suggest to look for hotels situated in Chelsea (West side) or near Empire State Building (East side). I have also found great rates in Cozy Rooms at the W on Lexington. You will notice a great difference in prices between those vs Times Square/Central Park hotels.
I found a hotel called Exselsior(not sure if I spelled that right). It's across from the Natural History museum and 0.5km from Central Park. It's a boutique hotel. It gets really good reviews on trip advisor. They are running a 20% off special right now. It was 175.00 per night for 2 beds. The Homewood Suites in Manhatten is 320.00 per night, but it's 5 km from Central Park. As much as I love the Homewood Suites I'd rather be next to Central Park. I can run there in the mornings.

I'm happy with the Embassy Suites in Montreal. It's my favorite hotel chain. I love the included cocktails at night and the made to order breakfast in the morning.

I found a hotel called Exselsior(not sure if I spelled that right). It's across from the Natural History museum and 0.5km from Central Park. It's a boutique hotel. It gets really good reviews on trip advisor. They are running a 20% off special right now. It was 175.00 per night for 2 beds. The Homewood Suites in Manhatten is 320.00 per night, but it's 5 km from Central Park. As much as I love the Homewood Suites I'd rather be next to Central Park. I can run there in the mornings.

I'm happy with the Embassy Suites in Montreal. It's my favorite hotel chain. I love the included cocktails at night and the made to order breakfast in the morning.

Regarding the location of your hotel in NYC: Can't blame you. I LOVE Central Park and I pick my hotel in order to always be a 10 minutes walk or less from CP every time I go to NYC. :)

Regarding the location of your hotel in NYC: Can't blame you. I LOVE Central Park and I pick my hotel in order to always be a 10 minutes walk or less from CP every time I go to NYC. :)
I normally wouldn't book hotels this early, but I thought those were pretty good prices. I'll keep checking throughout the year. Correction the homewood suites was 270.00 a night for a suite with 2 beds.

I normally wouldn't book hotels this early, but I thought those were pretty good prices. I'll keep checking throughout the year. Correction the homewood suites was 270.00 a night for a suite with 2 beds.

It's good to keep checking once in a while for a price drop.

I was disappointed because for our upcoming cruise, I booked a non-refundable rate in Miami months ago. When I checked last month, it had dropped (50$ less)... I was pissed. Lol

It's good to keep checking once in a while for a price drop.

I was disappointed because for our upcoming cruise, I booked a non-refundable rate in Miami months ago. When I checked last month, it had dropped (50$ less)... I was pissed. Lol
I was glad I booked early in Vancouver because prices went up and up and up. You just never know. I wont book a non refundable rate unless it's a couple days before my stay.

Thank you for starting this thread! My husband and I are booked on the NY - Quebec cruise and looking forward to seeing what excursions will be offered. I've already started relearning my high school French!
I do have a Quebec question. My husband's grandfather was born in St. Jean Chrysostome south of Quebec City. I was hoping we could travel down there to perhaps find the church or neighborhood. Is that close enough that there would be bus or train transportation or would renting a car be our best option? Thanks!

Thank you for starting this thread! My husband and I are booked on the NY - Quebec cruise and looking forward to seeing what excursions will be offered. I've already started relearning my high school French!
I do have a Quebec question. My husband's grandfather was born in St. Jean Chrysostome south of Quebec City. I was hoping we could travel down there to perhaps find the church or neighborhood. Is that close enough that there would be bus or train transportation or would renting a car be our best option? Thanks!
St-Jean-Chrysostome is now considered to be part of the city of Levis. Google Maps clocks the time between the port to this borough as 45 minutes. There are no straightforward transportation options between Quebec City and this particular borough. It is serviced by Societe de Transport de Levis via bus, but the main service is only one-way during rush hours. Regular daytime, you would be looking at a few transfers. There are a few creative ways to get there such as to take the ferry between Quebec City and Levis and then cab/bus to St-Jean but you would not be saving time doing this (but have a great view of Quebec City though)

However, be mindful that there are two Saint-Jean-Chrysostome in Quebec, with one being south of Montreal

Thanks!
Flew over Quebec City yesterday and Fall colours are in full display - probably late one week or two vs regular timing. I was in Baie-Comeau today and usually you would see Fall colours at the time of the cruise. Keep in mind though that Baie-Comeau, which has mostly birch trees (in addition to evergreens) would have mostly different shades of yellow, with the occasional touch of red or orange, which is more closely associated with maple trees

Cruise Critics Editor's Picks Awards...

Quebec City
Best North American Homeport

"Quebec City has a world-class terminal that offers high-tech amenities, like Wi-Fi, but is also within walking distance of the charming heart of Old Quebec. And while Canadians pride themselves on their friendly welcome, Quebec City has taken it further, transforming what was once a giant parking lot into an attractive park that greets cruise passengers with much lovelier views."

;)

p.s.: I have no idea what the parking lot part is about.

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Embassy suites: Good hotel (that I know of). Excellent location. You'll be very close to the subway station and right at the entrance of Old Montreal. If you need to take the 747 bus to get to the Airport, your hotel is only a 5 min walk from the bus stop.
I was looking at the Orleans express bus from Quebec to Montreal. Just curious why is it 25.00 dollars to centerville and 90.00 to the airport. How far is the center of Montreal to the airport? Do you have Uber in Canada? I'm looking at all options. I'd like to spend a couple of days in Canada after cruise. Quebec hotels seem to be half the cost of Montreal. Hotels in Montreal are similar to NYC prices..... which is high. It's all kind of work in progress at then moment. Of course the exchange rate will be a big factor.

I was looking at the Orleans express bus from Quebec to Montreal. Just curious why is it 25.00 dollars to centerville and 90.00 to the airport. How far is the center of Montreal to the airport? Do you have Uber in Canada? I'm looking at all options. I'd like to spend a couple of days in Canada after cruise. Quebec hotels seem to be half the cost of Montreal. Hotels in Montreal are similar to NYC prices..... which is high. It's all kind of work in progress at then moment. Of course the exchange rate will be a big factor.

Don't pay 90$ to go to the airport. A cab would cost you 38$ flat rate. Use the 747 stm bus. It will cost you 10$ to go downtown from the airport and downtown you can get Orleans Express to Quebec.

I'm surprised that you find hotels in Montreal to be expensive because hotels in Quebec are usually much more expensive (think NYC prices) unless they are far from Old Quebec. Which hotels did you look for?

Don't pay 90$ to go to the airport. A cab would cost you 38$ flat rate. Use the 747 stm bus. It will cost you 10$ to go downtown from the airport and downtown you can get Orleans Express to Quebec.

I'm surprised that you find hotels in Montreal to be expensive because hotels in Quebec are usually much more expensive (think NYC prices) unless they are far from Old Quebec. Which hotels did you look for?
Hotel palace Royal 147.00, Hotel Manoir 181.00 and Hotel Port Royal 141.00 are a few. These are in USD. Everything I find interesting in Old Montreal is closer to 300.00. The embassy suites I'm currently booked at is over 300.00 per night.

Hotel palace Royal 147.00, Hotel Manoir 181.00 and Hotel Port Royal 141.00 are a few. These are in USD. Everything I find interesting in Old Montreal is closer to 300.00. The embassy suites I'm currently booked at is over 300.00 per night.

Those are great rates for Quebec! I'm surprised, they show up at a much higher price when I look.

Yes, the hotels in the Old Port of Montreal tend to be expensive. We are getting more and more tourists during fall and more cruises are departing from Montreal and it's starting to show... You can get better rates if you get a little bit close to downtown but the Old Port location is better, IMO.

I would invite you to check the prices more often because I am sure you can get lower rates for Montreal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter