The Official Polynesian Resort FAQ thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a wonderful thread. I see through this wonderful board that the volcano pool will most likely be closed during our stay. Febuary 21-24 2008. I did put in a request for Samoa thinking great location for my DD (pool etc). But now I'm wondering if I should change it. Samoa looks to me like if you are garden view category that it would not be a bad view or either side, am I right? I'm also wonder if late February is pool weather in Orlando anyway?

I did find Tikiman's site. very informative thank you. Originally my first choice would have been Tuvalau I don't know I just like how it sits out there..lol and (also the DSA). and then also read there that Fiji has nice garden views on either side so that was my 2nd choice.

So my question(s) is this. Since the volcano pool will most likely be closed should I go w/ either Fiji or Tuvelau as a request or stick with the Samoa. Or does anyone have any other recommendations?

I'm a smoker(ugh) so those DSA's are relevant unfortunately. I did check out the map, so know where they are, though not what floor. Some look like they are on stair landings. Samoa's looked like it was by the volcano pool

Thank you in advance this is a great site and board.

Land/Sea Package - Poly 2/21-2/24
Wonder Cruise - 2/24 -2/28

I'm sure it's been asked in this thread before...but search is not working.

Is there laundry in each longhouse? If not, which ones?

Thanks!
Karen

1st stay @ Poly, last minute trip...leaving in 16 days!!!

I'm sure it's been asked in this thread before...but search is not working.

Is there laundry in each longhouse? If not, which ones?

Thanks!
Karen

1st stay @ Poly, last minute trip...leaving in 16 days!!!

The guest laundry facility is located in the same building as the Neverland Club. Just go around to the right side of that building and there's the laundry. Please note it does tend to get crowded in the morning.

Enjoy your trip! :thumbsup2

You say "it's nothing like it is in June/July..." is it bad? We'll be going June 5-12 and plan on several pool breaks during our stay. Any further insight?

Usually I find June/July to be really busy pool-wise just because there are more people at the Polynesian/Disney during that time. :-) It seems there are more folks in the pool around lunch time because a lot of families take a break around then. It wasn't 'people soup' in the pool but it was quite busy. We usually go to the pool either late in the afternoon when most people are back at the parks or late in the evening after we return from the parks. It just works out better for us.

During the time that you're going, I'd just suggest getting to the pool before lunchtime. Also, early mornings work great as the lifeguards are just coming on duty. Don't forget--there's also a quiet pool that is usually less busy than the volcano pool.

Hope that helps! :thumbsup2

I am subscribing to this thread! We just booked the Poly (garden view) for April 17-22. DH and stayed at the Poly 10 years ago but this will be our first stay there with our DD, age 5. DD also has autism and we think this resort will be a good match for her sensory needs and it's location on the monorail. Any helpful tips would be great! I also post on the DISabilities Board.

Do you get a lei greeting when you check-in? Don't want to be expecting one and then feel let down so I'd like to be prepared for our first stay at the Poly. Mahalo!:flower3:

I think I read somewhere that the pool was open 24hrs as well Captain Cook's. Is that right or am I making up things? Thanks!

Do you get a lei greeting when you check-in? Don't want to be expecting one and then feel let down so I'd like to be prepared for our first stay at the Poly. Mahalo!:flower3:

We got them for our check in on January 7. We put them to good use too: we attached them togther like a chain and then attached that to the fan pull. The air from the fan made it swing around enough that the sensor thought someone was in the room while we were gone and while we were sleeping and (most of the time) it didn't shut off!

My family and I also got ours when we checked-in and just incase you want some extras, there is a table to the left when you walk into the GCH where a Cast Member sits and makes them. My Mom asked for some extras and they gave her without any problems.

We received them at check in & on Christmas day housekeeping left about 20 of them in our room hanging everywhere. It was so cool to come back to the room & see this!

We got them for our check in on January 7. We put them to good use too: we attached them togther like a chain and then attached that to the fan pull. The air from the fan made it swing around enough that the sensor thought someone was in the room while we were gone and while we were sleeping and (most of the time) it didn't shut off!

Originally had 2 rooms at POP for the 5 of us because other family decided to come with us and that's where they are staying. We really did not want to stay here as our resort is very important to us because we like to hang out and we are not park commando's.

Then switched to AKL when the teens said they wanted to skip this trip.

Well, DH talked the oldest into coming(she was the holdout, DD14 would go if DD16 would)he used the old standby of "ya'll are getting older and these trips will get fewer and fewer and we want you with us" and he wants to stay at the Poly again(this is the 1st time we will be there during the summer to enjoy the pool and beach area).

Now just waiting to see if I can get the disney visa pkg that was offered last year at this time and if not I will call AAA and do a pkg to add the dining through them. By the way I did the math on where we are eating and compared to the plan and we come out at least $100 ahead not counting the snacks and adding in the tips .

Originally had 2 rooms at POP for the 5 of us because other family decided to come with us and that's where they are staying. We really did not want to stay here as our resort is very important to us because we like to hang out and we are not park commando's.

Then switched to AKL when the teens said they wanted to skip this trip.

Well, DH talked the oldest into coming(she was the holdout, DD14 would go if DD16 would)he used the old standby of "ya'll are getting older and these trips will get fewer and fewer and we want you with us" and he wants to stay at the Poly again(this is the 1st time we will be there during the summer to enjoy the pool and beach area).

Now just waiting to see if I can get the disney visa pkg that was offered last year at this time and if not I will call AAA and do a pkg to add the dining through them. By the way I did the math on where we are eating and compared to the plan and we come out at least $100 ahead not counting the snacks and adding in the tips .

Congrats on your decision, you know you'll have an excellent time!! :)

I totally understand what you mean about the kids and them getting older. My DSs won't be with us on this next trip afterall. They're at an age where they really don't want to go on vacation to Disney World, so we decided to let them stay home. We're still going though, as is DH's Aunt. She hasn't been to WDW in over 20 years and she's so excited about going back and about staying at the Polynesian resort. She's never stayed onsite before. What an introduction to onsite; Lagoon concierge at the Polynesian! :cool2:

I wish our trips overlapped, it would've been nice to get to meet you :)

Have you booked airfare yet? I just booked Friday night, I'm always so glad once that is over because I'm always afraid the rates will go sky high before I get a chance to book it. lol

Congrats on your decision, you know you'll have an excellent time!! :)

I totally understand what you mean about the kids and them getting older. My DSs won't be with us on this next trip afterall. They're at an age where they really don't want to go on vacation to Disney World, so we decided to let them stay home. We're still going though, as is DH's Aunt. She hasn't been to WDW in over 20 years and she's so excited about going back and about staying at the Polynesian resort. She's never stayed onsite before. What an introduction to onsite; Lagoon concierge at the Polynesian! :cool2:

I wish our trips overlapped, it would've been nice to get to meet you :)

Have you booked airfare yet? I just booked Friday night, I'm always so glad once that is over because I'm always afraid the rates will go sky high before I get a chance to book it. lol

Hi Seaspray:flower3: I wish I could meet you too, I love your site!! We are driving so no additional costs there. About the girls, we felt bad for DD14 b/c she really wanted to come but not without DD16, so DH sweet talked her into it. I don't know how happy i am about that b/c she is very moody and sometimes not fun to be around.:mad: :rolleyes1 Girls, i tell ya.:scared1: I me with 3 of them.:headache: Oh well what's a family vacation without some drama?:idea: Your Aunt is going to be in heaven at the Poly and conceirge, what a treat!! Maybe a good deal will come out and we can upgrade to conceirge.:cloud9: Just Dreaming.....

It's our first time at Disney and at the Poly. I have really appreciated DIS. Just a few small questions:

1. I have heard you can't swim at the beach, but can children play in the sand? Should I bring shovel/pail/etc for the children to play or do they sell them?

2. We are arriving before check-in. I assume that we can leave our carry-on luggage at the front desk and start enjoying Disney? Is there a place to change so we could go to the pool? (I'm hoping for warm weather) Will I need to pack towels in the carry-on or does the pool area have them?

3. I have read on other threads about bringing over the door shoe racks for the bathroom storage. Is this a good idea for the Poly? (is storage an issue? will the shoe racks even work over the door)

We are leaving in a week, so these last minute little questions start to pop-up in my mind. Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

It's our first time at Disney and at the Poly. I have really appreciated DIS. Just a few small questions:

1. I have heard you can't swim at the beach, but can children play in the sand? Should I bring shovel/pail/etc for the children to play or do they sell them?

2. We are arriving before check-in. I assume that we can leave our carry-on luggage at the front desk and start enjoying Disney? Is there a place to change so we could go to the pool? (I'm hoping for warm weather) Will I need to pack towels in the carry-on or does the pool area have them?

3. I have read on other threads about bringing over the door shoe racks for the bathroom storage. Is this a good idea for the Poly? (is storage an issue? will the shoe racks even work over the door)

We are leaving in a week, so these last minute little questions start to pop-up in my mind. Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

1. My kids LOVE playing on the beach while I lay in a lounge chair and read! The Polynesian provided my children with buckets and pails.

2. There are towels provided at the pool. There is a huge supply at the quiet pool, I can't remember where it is at the volcano pool, but you can always grab them at the quiet pool.

3. We never had any use for any extra storage. Plenty of room.

4. Enjoy!

I am subscribing to this thread! We just booked the Poly (garden view) for April 17-22. DH and stayed at the Poly 10 years ago but this will be our first stay there with our DD, age 5. DD also has autism and we think this resort will be a good match for her sensory needs and it's location on the monorail. Any helpful tips would be great! I also post on the DISabilities Board.

My DD8 has PDD with some sensory issues and the Polynesian has been the BEST resort for us. She loves the pool, watching the boats and listening to the Hawaiian music in the GCH (Lipoa at 'Ohana is her favorite). Being on the monorail is a godsend when you're the parent of an autistic child. You and your DD will love the Poly! :cloud9:

Feel free to PM me with questions.:goodvibes

I think I read somewhere that the pool was open 24hrs as well Captain Cook's. Is that right or am I making up things? Thanks!

Nope, not making up things. :goodvibes

The pool hours are 8am - 10pm (or can change seasonally) with respect to lifeguards being on duty. You're more than welcome to enjoy the pool other hours of the day. I've seen some folks enjoying the pool at 11pm - 12am (usually night-owls like me or international visitors). So long as you're not super loud and rowdy you won't have any problems. The pool is gorgeous to swim in at night with the castle lit up in the distance.

Captain Cooks is open 24 hours! :banana: The grill closes at 11pm but there are sandwiches, salads and california rolls and the like in the refrigerator cases. This place is a godsend when you're coming back from the MK after evening EMH hours (like 2am) and want a bite to eat.

Nope, not making up things. :goodvibes

The pool hours are 8am - 10pm (or can change seasonally) with respect to lifeguards being on duty. You're more than welcome to enjoy the pool other hours of the day. I've seen some folks enjoying the pool at 11pm - 12am (usually night-owls like me or international visitors). So long as you're not super loud and rowdy you won't have any problems. The pool is gorgeous to swim in at night with the castle lit up in the distance.

My family liked lounging in the pool while watching Wishes in the distance.

Okay, total newb with questions:

1) how much time does it take to get to the different parks (using WDW transportation) from the Poly?
2) how difficult would it be to get from the Poly to Beach Club (I hear there's a Kitchen Sink dessert that my kids will go NUTS for) and then to DTD...and how much travel time should I allow?
and 3) Where do you get an arcade card and how do they work? (Also, anyone have info on what the Poly arcade is like? DS14 is dying to know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter