The Official April 2010 car rental thread

I had $194 with National., which is not bad. I love National, but Alamo is not bad because of the kiosk. Last year we went with Budget and we waited in a huge line for over an hour. DH told me to not be so cheap and stay with Alamo or National. This year, I'm only watching Alamo and National.

I know, I have rented from Alamo and have always been pleased. But we are National Executive Aisle members and to maintain our level we need to rent 40 days a year, so I do try to stay with National. However, if the difference is $50 of more, I do reconsider. I booked my daughter's rental with Alamo for the first week of May and got a great rate of $120 for the week. I have TWO trips coming up, so am watching for: March 6-12 and April 24-May7.

Generally once Alamo starts dropping National will start dropping too, but so far, no movement from National for my 2 dates. I have just under 4 weeks until my March trip, so I continue to watch. I'm holding $188 for the week, which is not bad for spring break timeframe. And I'm holding $338 for my April/May trip, for 2 weeks, so that's about $168 a week. Not horrible, but we can do better.

Did you have a long wait to pick up your vehicle with Budget or to pay at the end? Did you have a Fastbreak Number to pick up?

I had $194 with National., which is not bad. I love National, but Alamo is not bad because of the kiosk. Last year we went with Budget and we waited in a huge line for over an hour. DH told me to not be so cheap and stay with Alamo or National. This year, I'm only watching Alamo and National.

There's also a mini office in the parking garage. One year there was a very long line at the Alamo counter and we walked out to the garage. There was no line at all. You do have to be a *********** member.

Just knocked a little more off my Alamo rental using ID=SUNPROMO (15% off) and the $30 discount coupon AD2123JMC which is a *********** coupon. Got 6 days compact for $142. Not too shabby.

If you are families renting smallish cars, can you fit everything IN the car to get to your lodging? We have two adults, two kids, and luggage. I'm worried with a midsize (which I've reserved) that we won't FIT. We generally have 2-3 largish suitcases or duffels, two carry on bags, and the kids each have a backpack.

KC

So I reserved a car theough Alamo using the coupon and Costco I.d. Now do you guys go back every day a kep trying the codes for a cheaper rate? If I do find a cheaper rate how do I cancel my old one? I have a midsize reserved for 8 days @ $178. I was hoping for around $150 so i will keep checking back. Is it wasy to change the reservation?
Thanks

So I reserved a car theough Alamo using the coupon and Costco I.d. Now do you guys go back every day a kep trying the codes for a cheaper rate? If I do find a cheaper rate how do I cancel my old one? I have a midsize reserved for 8 days @ $178. I was hoping for around $150 so i will keep checking back. Is it wasy to change the reservation?
Thanks

If you pull up your email confirmation that was sent by Alamo to you, there is an option to click on for "modify". It will take you to your reservation and again at the bottom it will have a button for you to chose "modify" once you go to the next screen it will allow you to enter in your new code and/or coupons. Then it will bring up your original reservation and your new information with the new codes or coupons. It will then give you an option to "keep original" or "accept the changes".

I hope that helps! It is extremely easy to check any new codes or make changes with Alamo.

Thanks

Yes, If I get a good rate I book it. I check every few days and if it drops, I book a second reservation and then go back to cancel the first, never the other way around.

Thanks

Maybe our dates are affecting our rates. I have a ressie for $146 for 8 days. I used a 25% off code with a $30 off coupon.

Here's the site I used.

http://www.rentalcodes.com/alamo.html

Good luck.

Thanks for the codes, but I tried all that applied nad they are coming up the same price still. I have time so hopefully the prices will come down some still. When are you dates? We leave April29th-May7th

Thanks for the codes, but I tried all that applied nad they are coming up the same price still. I have time so hopefully the prices will come down some still. When are you dates? We leave April29th-May7th

I reserved a car with Alamo for my daughter for almost your dates. April 30-May 7.

Used costco code (she's a member) 7014627 and coupon AD2123JMC. I got a total of $120 for a mid-size car.

Those are teh exact 2 codes I used and got$178. I must be putting them in the wrong boxes?? Help. I would love $120

I just calculated for you and got you $124. I used noon pickups with corporate id 7014182 and coupon code AD8192SDD .

i jsut did exactly what you did and got a subtotal of $128 and with taxes and fees $184. What am I doing wrong?

i jsut did exactly what you did and got a subtotal of $128 and with taxes and fees $184. What am I doing wrong?
Are you putting in the corporate ID in the correct box? Are you putting the coupon codes in the correct box? Are your times putting you into another day?

I wanted the "standard" size car maybe that is the difference. We have 4 of us and really want a 4 door car. The category below ours says 2 or 4 door and we don't want to risk getting a 2 door with small kids. Thanks for the help, I will keep trying for a lower rate.

I wanted the "standard" size car maybe that is the difference. We have 4 of us and really want a 4 door car. The category below ours says 2 or 4 door and we don't want to risk getting a 2 door with small kids. Thanks for the help, I will keep trying for a lower rate.

Yes, this was for a midsize. That is the difference. We always get a midsize and it has 4 doors. We have 3 kids 8.9.10. We just aren't in the car much, so the savings is worth it.

Good luck!

Mystery solved. I too booked a mid-size (intermediate) car for my daughter. She also has 2 little ones in carseats. Do you realize that with Alamo you get to actually CHOOSE your car from the intermediate aisle. So you can walk up and down the aisle to choose the make, color, and style of your car and the chances of there being at least 1 intermediate car with 4 doors is actually very good. Maybe you should watch for an upgrade coupon which is used in place of the $30 coupon ... though it may be a wash in terms of price.

Yes, this was for a midsize. That is the difference. We always get a midsize and it has 4 doors. We have 3 kids 8.9.10. We just aren't in the car much, so the savings is worth it.

Good luck!
I agree. I hardly ever go with anything bigger than a midsize (with 2 teenagers) because the rates often jump much higher. Last trip the most spacious midsize in the Alamo lot was a Dodge Caliber -- which I would not consider a midsize and yes, getting the luggage in was a pain. In fact, the kids had to hold some on their laps. But, thats a total of 2 30 minute trips out of two weeks...they survived. The rest of the time, it was fine.

o.k. I switched to a midsize so what kind of cars should I expect? My husband says the G5 is really small and only in Canada so I hope that really isn't one of the choices. Anyone get a midsize with Alamo before what kind was it? Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter