The *NEW* SWAN & DOLPHIN RESORT Thread ~ April 2009 ~ Please read Post #1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased a 25.00 gift card to GG for 2.00. It is good for dinner only, no breakfast.

Drats! Foiled again! Ha, I guess they know what they are doing. $23 off of breakfast would be TOO GOOD of a deal!

Thanks for letting me know!

Double-check that. Every one I have ever bought is good for one year from the purchase date.
Ones I have purchased for local use, (quite a few), expire in one year. The ones for use there at S/D state at the bottom, This Restaurant Gift Certificate does not expire.

I just started a thread about this, but figured I would also come here and ask. Is there a site that I can view the Swan/Dolphin "resort TV?" You know, the channel that tells you about the resort?

On the thread I started (is is here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=38321681&posted=1#post38321681 in case you are interested) someone posted a link with the channels for the Swalphin listed. I realize I am looking for either channel 11 or 12...but I also see that Stacey's show is on channel 2??? I don't remember that...but do they indeed show Staceys show? It used to be the Top7 but it is something else now, with the same host, Stacey Aswad (who we all love!) I thought that I can only see that show when staying a a WDW resort. But I haven't been to the Swalphin since 2008, so I may have forgotten some things.

Thanks!

Me again!!!
:yay:

I posted this on the restaurants board. I mainly want to share the link with you all...but I copied and pasted my entire post. I just want to chit chat about it, if anyone has any input....
---------------------
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/...-from-the-swan-dolphin-food-and-wine-classic/

I posted about this event a few weeks ago, but since this is the first year, no one really knows what to expect. The above link gives some info and I found it interesting. I am very excited!!!

Basically, it is 6 of the Swan/Dolphin restaurants offering tastings, plus beverage stations. From the link I posted above, it doesn't seem like *that* much food. Am I missing something? Do you think that this event can be considered "dinner" or should I plan to dine afterwards with my hubby? The way the article above is worded, it sounds like each restaurant is only serving ONE offering...but I would think they would have a few different items. I am hoping so!

We are staying at the Dolphin and will have a bracelet for unlimited tastings...but I think a bracelet is $50 if you are paying out of pocket without staying at the s/d resorts. I am just hoping that means there will be plenty of food.

I also was a little distressed when i realized that I read "items can also be purchased a la carte." Is this going to be capped at a certain number of guests, or can just anyone wander in and get a tasting for a few dollars? If you paid $50 for a bracelet, you have to wait behind people that maybe just happened to walk by and decide they want to try something on a whim? That doesn't seem right. Then again, I don't see how they can close off that area between the Swan and The Dolphin, it is an open air walkway.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound negative. I am just one of those people that tries to know what to expect, so I can be mentally prepared. If I think I am going to stroll around leisurely sampling a vast array of tidbits and then I am in a crowd with limited selections, I will be disappointed. However, if I know ahead of tim to expect this event is like an "appetizer" to the rest of my evening, or that there will be crowds...then I can mentally prepare, as well as make dinner reservations for later.

We stopped doing PftS a few years ago, as we felt the quality went down, while the price and crowds went up. I was hoping that this would "fill the void" (LOL) although it is such a reasonable price I know it is not going to compare to PftS.

So what do you think, DISers? Anyone else here attending this event? I can't wait to come back with a full report...hopefully I will want to make this an annual pilgrimage! :yay:

I did, and mine don't expire.

Wow - you are right! I checked some recent ones I bought and they do not expire! That is a great change - I have had many that expired before I had a chance to use them. I almost always bought them at at least 50% off, so it was not a big deal, but I am glad they no longer expire. Thanks!! :goodvibes

I booked 4 days at the Swan prior to our Disney cruise. What is to best way to get from Airport to Swan to Cruise to Airport?

Depending on the number of people traveling, a rental car is probably your best bet. If you get a really good price for a weekly rental, it might be worth paying to park it at the Swan ($11 or $12 per night) and at the port ($15 per night). Also check the prices of 3 one-way rentals: National or Alamo for drop-off at the Dolphin; Budget (Doubletree at DD) or Avis (Hilton at DD) for drop-off in Cape Canaveral; and Budget, Avis, Hertz for a one-way from Cape Canaveral to the airport OR a ship transfer.

Depending on the number of people traveling, a rental car is probably your best bet. If you get a really good price for a weekly rental, it might be worth paying to park it at the Swan ($11 or $12 per night) and at the port ($15 per night). Also check the prices of 3 one-way rentals: National or Alamo for drop-off at the Dolphin; Budget (Doubletree at DD) or Avis (Hilton at DD) for drop-off in Cape Canaveral; and Budget, Avis, Hertz for a one-way from Cape Canaveral to the airport OR a ship transfer.

It will be 2 adults and 2 2-year olds.. I was thinking a car rental will cost us more espedcially since we would need car seats also. Am I wrong?

It will be 2 adults and 2 2-year olds.. I was thinking a car rental will cost us more espedcially since we would need car seats also. Am I wrong?

It depends on your other options. DCL will charge you $69/pp to go from WDW to the port and the port to the airport - and they don't pick-up at the Swan. Mears will cost $20/adult for a one-way shuttle to the Swan from the airport, and the kids might be free. If you bring the car seats for the kids on the plane, you'll have them for the rental car(s).

Orlando and Melbourne/Cape Canaveral *might* be the same 'area'. I've dropped off in Manchester, NH when I rented in Boston, MA and it wasn't considered one-way. Something to look in to....

Orlando and Melbourne/Cape Canaveral *might* be the same 'area'. I've dropped off in Manchester, NH when I rented in Boston, MA and it wasn't considered one-way. Something to look in to....

It is a one-way rental, but there is no drop-off fee with Avis or Budget between either the airport or WDW area and Cape Canaveral.

Me again!!!
:yay:

I posted this on the restaurants board. I mainly want to share the link with you all...but I copied and pasted my entire post. I just want to chit chat about it, if anyone has any input....
---------------------
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/...-from-the-swan-dolphin-food-and-wine-classic/

I posted about this event a few weeks ago, but since this is the first year, no one really knows what to expect. The above link gives some info and I found it interesting. I am very excited!!!
QUOTE]

While I can't answer your questions I did listen to the Dis podcast Disunplugged and they had a segment on it with food samples and the directors of the event at Epcot. It sounded like something I'd really love and I sure wish I could attend! There was lots of info in the podcast if you'd like to listen and haven't already it's the September 8th show...
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/archives.htm

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful time :thumbsup2!

DH just found out he's going to a conference at The Swan - next Sunday - and I can't get off work in that short of notice - WAH! I'm a S/D junkie...I'm so jealous. Thankfully I'm going to WDW in 4 weeks or I'd really be upset!

Hey at least he earning me some Starwood points, right?!?! I have to look at it that way...

Well I just booked the Dolphin at the Fl Resident rate bcecasue I just dont want to part with the cash for BC even at the AP rate.

It's me and DS13 (well he will be by then) going Nov 17-21 to celebrate my birthday.

Thus is our first time so I would appreciate any tips, suggestions etc. Rooms to request, places to eat. I did join Starwood (thanks to pp's for that tip) and we have annual passes and the TIW card. I will spend time reading the thread but any and all advice is welcome and sooo appreciated!

Its not our first Disney trip at all just our first stay at the Dolphin.

Well I just booked the Dolphin at the Fl Resident rate bcecasue I just dont want to part with the cash for BC even at the AP rate.

It's me and DS13 (well he will be by then) going Nov 17-21 to celebrate my birthday.

Thus is our first time so I would appreciate any tips, suggestions etc. Rooms to request, places to eat. I did join Starwood (thanks to pp's for that tip) and we have annual passes and the TIW card. I will spend time reading the thread but any and all advice is welcome and sooo appreciated!

Its not our first Disney trip at all just our first stay at the Dolphin.

I am interested in the answer to these questions as well. Also, is there a way to up the odds of getting aking bed? Like should I call a few days beforehand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter