The movie Beauty and the Beast , we saw it ( no spoilers please)

Loved it!
Our audience clapped at the end as well. I especially liked the Beast's solo song. Overall, really well done. I normally hate long movies. I set my phone timer so I can see how much longer I have to last to the end, lol, and I never even felt the urge to check it, so I know I really liked it:)

Saw it yesterday with my daughter. We are both big Beauty and the Beast fans; we adored the 1991 version, and we are also big fans of Emma Watson. That said, we had high expectations for this film. This is hard to say, and I know this opinion will not be popular, but we were a little disappointed. Emma Watson is a good enough singer, but the role of Belle deserved a stronger performance. Beauty and the Beast music is beautiful, but the emotion necessary to transport you into Belle's world was missing and perhaps this is why we felt the chemistry between Dan Stevens, and Emma Watson did not really click. In contrast, Luke Evans and Josh Gad were perfection; their characters popped off the screen, and their performances stole the show. This version was darker than the original, and there was unexpected violence. The Be Our Guest scene reminded me of an old Hollywood musical, not sure if that's good or bad. Costume design was amazing, and deserves an Oscar win. For us the film was a mixed bag; there were some exceptionally wonderful scenes, but some that fell flat.
We really wanted to love this film, and I'm sure it will do extremely well at the box office, we just felt it could have been better.

It's funny to read this because we were the exact opposite of everything you saw, the bolded--
We were not sure Emma Watson was right for the part but after seeing it she just fit so perfectly, and we thought her performance in this was one of her strongest ever.
As for chemistry, we did not expect Emma Watson and Dan Stevens to have any sort of chemistry, but once we saw them on screen together it just clicked.
In contrast, we thought Josh Gad and Luke Evans could have been better, Josh Gad is terrific but we felt in this role he was the weakest out of the cast.
Isn't it amusing to have two people see it and have word for word opposites!

Saw it this afternoon; really REALLY well done! Enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

Side note, absolutely laughed out loud at the Dispicable Me 3 trailer :)

We saw it last night. DH, DD 15 and myself. We loved it. DH thought a bit to much singing. I thought it could have been 10/20 minutes shorter. I thought whoever played Belle's father was great, also Gaston and LeFou.

Thats Kevin Kline!

I absolutely loved it and I am a huge animated film purist.

I always wanted more of Belle and the Beast getting to know each other in the animated film and they did that here and they did it very well. i thought Dan Stevens was a wonderful beast. I could hear the spoiled prince under every word of what he said early on.

Watching the object characters "die" was honestly way sadder then I thought possible...my heart was breaking.

Omg I didn't cry until this started happening! And it was the sniffing blubbering crying and the person with me whispered I shouldn't be crying, this isn't how it ends and I KNOW that. Yeah but in the animated one they didn't die first

I want to see it, but I love the animated film so much that I'm worried I'll be disappointed.
We are the same way, but, with that being said, DW and I saw this last night, very, very well done.:thumbsup2 We both really enjoyed it. I didn't even try to go the sleep in the dreamlounger chair!:cool1: Our grandkids saw it last week and I asked our 6 year old grandson how it was...."It was kinda scary in some places, but not too scary and it has a happy ending!" Out of the mouths of kids.:rotfl:

LOVED it!
We saw it in RPX imax 3-d... and this was truly an 'experience'.

Now, many of you know that I can be a bit of a critic and tell it like I see it.
And in all honestly, yes I did think that there are a few things that could've/would've/should've been better.
But, WOW!!!!

I did hope that Emma would have had a stronger performance.
The one real let-down was the ending to Great Wide Somewhere.
OMG... THAT is the entire reason I loved the cartoon and the character. (Def. NOT the bookworm factor... IMHO, books were just a symbol of here wish to escape from the confines and expectations of life as a woman in that small town)
But, IMHO, in this movie, that was a total let-down.

I think the only real chemistry and 'performance' that I saw with actors was between Gaston and Lafou!
Incredible!
I actually applauded at the end of Gaston's song, a little like one might at a live performance.

Emma had been able to pull off that type of performance and chemistry/connection with her father and Beast... This movie would have really been SO great. Just Disney-Amazing and over the top!

I did not, personally, like their visual rendition of Beast.
I felt they way overdid it, and instead of a young prince under a spell, he came off like an 40-something year old man.
I did not get enough connection between the character and the person who WAS the character. Like one does with all the other characters!

Last edited:
I also had to mention the trailer for Pirates...
Johhny Depp is just such a charicature...
But, OMG, even from just the trailer, Geoffrey Rush absolutely steals the show!!!

It's amusing when a movie audience claps when the movie ends, since clapping is done to show appreciation for the performance, yet in a movie the cast and crew are not actually there to hear the clapping.
But I will admit a movie somehow more enjoyable and more of an EVENT, when the audience claps at the end!

Saw it twice this weekend - Friday night on IMAX with friends we were at WDW with the previous week, as a way to get some of the Magic back, lol, and last night with family. I could easily see it again! :goodvibes And thanks to whoever mentioned downloading the soundtrack, I think I will do that right now!

Honestly I wasn't even really in a rush to see it before our trip, but they had a rather long preview in place of the Walt Disney movie at One Man's Dream, which angered me a little bit because I love that movie so much. :sad: But we decided then it looked pretty good and we'd like to see it. From the preview, I wasn't sure about Emma Watson in the role. (And I really have no idea who she is. I just had a little trouble reconciling in my mind a girl from a French village having an English accent. Silly, probably, I know.) But on the way home last night in the car, I said after seeing it twice now, I think she was really good in the role. Because it wasn't just about the singing. The word "fearless" had come up in the movie (when her father was describing her mother), and that's what I think cinched it for me - she was fearless in the role, both in character and in her taking on the role, even if her voice wasn't spectacular. (Which always brings to mind Christopher Plummer in The Sound of Music, who chose to have his singing voiced-over once he heard how it compared to Julie Andrews' in the final cut.) I think her voice was more sort of "every day", and that, for me, made the magic of the movie more believable.

I really loved all of the characters. I agree that Gaston was amazing, and I think Kevin Kline, whose casting surprised me at first (akin to Donald Sutherland in Pride and Prejudice), also stole the show. My 91 year old mother absolutely loved it, and was practically mesmerized through the whole movie. (And when it was over, she leaned over and said that she actually thought the Beast was sort of cute! :laughing: Which we all thought was pretty funny since she goes for the classic Hollywood-handsome looks!)

I also read some commentary and speculation online about the issue of the townspeople "not remembering", and how that made total sense in this movie. I'll leave it at that.

Emma Watson's "Belle's" dress from the movie was in the lobby of One Man's Dream.

IMG_9174.JPG

It's amusing when a movie audience claps when the movie ends, since clapping is done to show appreciation for the performance, yet in a movie the cast and crew are not actually there to hear the clapping.
But I will admit a movie somehow more enjoyable and more of an EVENT, when the audience claps at the end!

Yes, it is the highest compliment an audience can give a film when they applaud at the end. I love when it happens! The entire auditorium applauded at the advance screening, but of course that audience was entirely composed of D23 members (aka crazed Disney fans) so that was expected. We even clapped for each individual actor during the end credits. I loved how they did the end credits! But when I saw it at my local theater this weekend, there was no applause. :worried: I sure was missing my crazed Disney fans! :smickey:

Yes, it is the highest compliment an audience can give a film when they applaud at the end. I love when it happens! The entire auditorium applauded at the advance screening, but of course that audience was entirely composed of D23 members (aka crazed Disney fans) so that was expected. We even clapped for each individual actor during the end credits. I loved how they did the end credits! But when I saw it at my local theater this weekend, there was no applause. :worried: I sure was missing my crazed Disney fans! :smickey:

The audience clapped at the end in my theater. I was quite surprised.

The one thing I felt at the end of the movie was the Magic being alive like it is when we are at Disney World. It truly was Disney Magic at its best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter