The movie Beauty and the Beast , we saw it ( no spoilers please)

Finally got to see it this morning. I really liked it, but I have to say, I'd seen the Broadway version, and that remains my favorite. It was simply stunning.

I thought Emma Watson was adorable, but she just didn't have the singing chops to pull off her solos. She's a great actress, but it's clear she's not a good singer. Not bad, but nothing special (like the woman who played the dresser--now, THERE'S a set of pipes!)

While I thought Gaston was perfect, I have to say my favorite was Kevin Kline as Papa. He was just wonderful. I also loved Ewan Macgregor and Stanley Tucci, but you'd never know it was them (although Ewan did sing in "Moulin Rouge"--who knew Obiwan could sing?)

DS11 and I both cried at the end. Even though you know that it's not really the end, the scene of the objects "dying" was very touching. On a much lighter note, the ottoman dog reminded us a lot of our own pup, so we got a good chuckle.

Loved it!!! I totally cried!! My 6 yr old DS really enjoyed it too. Lots of clapping in the the theater when it ended.

Finally got to see it this morning. I really liked it, but I have to say, I'd seen the Broadway version, and that remains my favorite. It was simply stunning.

I thought Emma Watson was adorable, but she just didn't have the singing chops to pull off her solos. She's a great actress, but it's clear she's not a good singer. Not bad, but nothing special (like the woman who played the dresser--now, THERE'S a set of pipes!)

While I thought Gaston was perfect, I have to say my favorite was Kevin Kline as Papa. He was just wonderful. I also loved Ewan Macgregor and Stanley Tucci, but you'd never know it was them (although Ewan did sing in "Moulin Rouge"--who knew Obiwan could sing?)

DS11 and I both cried at the end. Even though you know that it's not really the end, the scene of the objects "dying" was very touching. On a much lighter note, the ottoman dog reminded us a lot of our own pup, so we got a good chuckle.

We saw Broadway's original Belle -- Susan Egan -- perform on a Disney cruise and her voice is amazing. Emma is cutesy and she did stay on key, but she sure doesn't sing like a Broadway actress. The townspeople were professional, and they really upstaged Emma.

We saw Broadway's original Belle -- Susan Egan -- perform on a Disney cruise and her voice is amazing. Emma is cutesy and she did stay on key, but she sure doesn't sing like a Broadway actress. The townspeople were professional, and they really upstaged Emma.
We saw it opening weekend. I thought Emma did a good job singing. I wasn't expecting a Broadway voice. I thought Emma's voice fit her character, a countryside girl.

I thought it was fabulous. Better than I expected. I forgot how much of the songs I knew the lyrics too. Even downloaded the soundtrack.

We haven't seen it yet.

I've read a lot here about Emma as Belle. But what about Dan Stevens as the Beast? He is a favorite of mine because I loved him as Matthew Crawley in Downton Abbey!

We saw it opening weekend. I thought Emma did a good job singing. I wasn't expecting a Broadway voice. I thought Emma's voice fit her character, a countryside girl.

Then Disney should have cast the rest of the townspeople with countryside voices.

We haven't seen it yet.

I've read a lot here about Emma as Belle. But what about Dan Stevens as the Beast? He is a favorite of mine because I loved him as Matthew Crawley in Downton Abbey!

Dan was great. His deep voice really fit the role of the beast. The makeup artists made him quite furry, but you could still see his facial features -- he wasn't a "walking carpet" like Chewbacca.

SPOILER:

It turns out the entire thing was a figment of David Haller's schizophrenic imagination. It turns out this movie was actually a Legion tie-in movie. :jester:

want to see it so does my mom. Lets be real here emma can act either they got a singer who can sing but does not look like belle and can't act or an actor who can look and act but not grammy sing.

want to see it so does my mom. Lets be real here emma can act either they got a singer who can sing but does not look like belle and can't act or an actor who can look and act but not grammy sing.

I don't believe they couldn't possibly find someone who both looked the part and could sing well. They went with Emma because she's well-known and liked, they knew she'd sell tickets. Which is fine, but it's silly to say that no fabulous singer could have filled the role. I also wouldn't say "Grammy sing". More like "Broadway sing". I have much more respect for Broadway singers, who generally have huge range and tone. It seems like an awful lot of popular singers are "acts" more than people with fabulous voices. Maybe I'm jsut an old fogie, though.

Just got back from seeing it with dd. Loved it! I thought Emma did an amazing job both acting and singing. I think she was the perfect Belle. Actually I think casting did a great job for all parts.

I have seen so many negative things said about her in this part and don't really get it. She did a great job. She has never claimed to be a singer and yet gave a great performance. I was afraid that it would hard to not see Hermonie in Belle's dress but I completely got swept away and forgot all about thinking of her in HP.

There were so many other suggestions over the internet about who should have played Belle instead. So glad they went with Emma.

Liked seeing a little backstory too.

what i meant was what she can sing and does not need auto tune emma does great work i knew she would be great has belle it is just the whole sing thing that is all.

I would love to know more about how Disney did the Beast part. I know Dan Stevens has done interviews that have detailed the suit he wore and the stilts, etc. But I would love to SEE shots of how it all looked before it was put through the computer. It sounds fascinating!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter