The Magic Is Real!

Not me. I cry when I see the WDW gate on the highway, cry at the start of the morning shows, cry when I see Mickey and friends show up, cry during the fireworks, and basically cry any time something big starts to happen.

That said, I've also cried at the start of Minnesota Vikings home games and Iron Maiden concerts, so this may just be me.
LOVE IT! I can say I had tears in my eyes every time I got to see the Main Street Electrical Parade....and well, I flat out cried when they announced it is going away.

I've told our story before so my apologies to those of you who have read it...
My story is at the other end of life's spectrum and about my now deceased mother.
As a child I was a TV Mouse Club fanatic, even known to sleep in my ears, but we lived in the Midwest and, as much as I begged to visit Disneyland when it opened, traveling to CA was not something our family could afford in those days.
When WDW opened in 1971, my folks had retired to FL and I determined that I would take them on my dream to see the new park. I saved for nearly two years. When the the time came and I traveled to FL to pick them up my mother began to invent excuses to stay home...a familiar pattern and one that contributed to our strained relationship. This time, though, dad stepped in and announced that we ALL were going to Disney World! Begrudgingly, mom got in the car. The ride to Orlando was less than pleasant and by the time we were walking down Main Street I was beginning to regret coming.
Then we walked through the Castle. As we reached the other side, Mom saw the carousel. She grabbed my arm and literally shouted, "Can I ride it"? Dad and I glanced at each other, grabbed her little 4'10" body and nearly air walked her to the ride. As we boarded both dad and I thought she would be content to sit on a bench but evidently the woman dropped about twenty years since she spotted the carousel and insisted we "boost her onto this horse"! We did. Dad and climbed onto horses next to her and for the next two minutes I'm certain he and I sat with our mouths agape, watching mom have the time of her life! Who knew she loved carousels???
Dad and I both had tears running down our faces as we helped mom off the horse. She loved the rest of the trip...we all had a magical time and, as silly as it sounds, mom and I became closer following this.
Mom and dad have been gone for a while now and I have trouble hoisting myself onto that horse now, too. But every time I walk down Main Street and through the Castle I can feel them with me again. It's the same magic that touches us all...with no regard for age!
This has to be one of the most amazing stories! Thank you for sharing it. It put a huge smile on my face!
pooh:

I have loved all of these stories! We had a truly magical trip this past July! My kids have severe food allergies and the highlights of the trip for me were when they were able to eat food from a restaurant for the very first time! I finally finished our vacation video for anyone who would like to see it.

I have loved all of these stories! We had a truly magical trip this past July! My kids have severe food allergies and the highlights of the trip for me were when they were able to eat food from a restaurant for the very first time! I finally finished our vacation video for anyone who would like to see it.
There's one scene early in the video that reminded me of Disney Jr on stage, when we took our son. It looks the part where Cedric makes it snow, and our son's eyes lit up like 1000 watt light bulbs. I wish I had taken a picture of it. Even if that isn't where your children were at in that scene, I'm so glad you captured their joy, which mirrored my son's.

Love reading all of these "magical" moments! ❤️❤️❤️

Our children were 12 and 7 when our finances finally afforded a much longed for and anticipated first visit to The World. I secretly fretted that we had somehow "let them down" by not taking them when they were younger and truly open to the magic that is Disney.

After driving for 18+ hours, we arrived mid afternoon and headed to DS (DTD at that time). Our daughter made a beeline for the pick-a-pearl stand. She quietly observed the activity; then very confidently pointed to her chosen oyster. Imagine our surprise when her oyster yielded two perfect, beautiful pearls. I teared up immediately and declared this our very first experience with pixie dust. My normally somewhat cynical 12 year old daughter was smiling from ear to ear.

Two days later we were bumping along on KS at AK. We rounded a bend and caught our first glimpse of the river. Someone pointed out multiple hippos happily bathing in the sun. My son was sitting next to me and suddenly squeezed my leg. He looked up at me with the most serious expression and said, "I'm always going to remember this, Mom." I cried like a baby.

Ours is Wishes last year. I have had 13 miscarriages, and I just broke down during Wishes. (Becuase I was wishign on EVERY star that I would keep the last one) - and then someone next to us asked if everything was ok. I told them about my babies - and they understood. They had a balloon that they were just carrying around and handed it to me and told me to send it to heaven to my babies. I have never cried so hard in my life at their kindness.

If you are on here - Thank You again from the bottom of my (still fragile and slightly broken) heart

Your story absolutely touched my heart! Even though I never lost babies as you did it took me 9 years to get pregnant and have my DS (now 30). You never forget the pain. Sometimes it just takes sharing your story with someone else because there are many others just like you wanting to shoulder the pain with you and help in some small way. Bless your "still fragile and slightly broken" heart.

Last edited:
My story is sort of indirect I suppose but brought tears to my eyes when I found out about it.

My DS was 11 and had been to Disney many times by the time we invited his best friend a year older to go with us to WDW. The two boys had a wonderful time and acted like little kids enjoying everything that week. At the MCO airport on our way home they even took out some figures we had bought and played on the seats for an hour or so.

Untitled-189-L.jpg

To remember the trip I made a photo book with some of the pictures and gave it to DS's friend for Christmas. This was back in 1997. Move forward to 2010 and DS's friend is now married. His wife found the photo book and asked him about it. He spent an hour or so talking about every single picture and how he remembered the trip. She then noticed his eyes were red and tears running down her husband's face. She told us that she had only seen him cry twice before. Now she can't wait until they take their baby boy to Disney and he gets to share the magic with them both!

Last edited:
I am shamelessly bumping this. I just sat and read the whole thing at work.
My eyes are quite red! (dang those onions)
I've been to Disney a few times with DH - last time was 6 years ago.
This September I am looking forward to taking my first and only DS4 on his first trip!
He loves Mickey and Cars and lots of other Disney movies and I am doing all I can to
make sure he is excited about it!
"Mom - are we going to Mickey Mouse house today"
"Mom - is this at Mickey Mouse's house??"

Anyway I am looking forward to the many magical moments and I am
sure I will cry So many times on this trip. I cry every time I think about it!! :)

Now - More than Ever - I want to read more stories of how the Magic is still there
even with the crowd levels, price increases, Room Intrusions, Parking Fees, ...

(edited # years since last trip)

Last edited:
In 1998, for our 10th wedding anniversary, we had saved up enough to drive to Florida, the first Disney trip for our young kids. We stayed onsite and did all the parks. However the highlight for my son was not any of the actual rides or attractions. We were leaving the hotel (Port Orleans) and at the check-out counter, the team member took the time to ask both of our kids what their highlights were from our trip. My son answered that his favorite thing was "driving" the monorail (at that time you could sit up front with the driver). Having heard this, the staff member asked my son to write down his address but didn't say why. About a week after we returned home, a personalized certificate arrived in the mail declaring him a certified driver of the monorail. That certificate hung on his bedroom wall for about 10 years! Below is the actual photo with the driver. It is these little things that make you go back and spend much more $$$$$!

Last edited:
@Piglet843, you asked for more stories as how the magic is still there. Hope this one fits the bill:

Last weekend, my uncle was visiting us. His first visit! He’s 93 and we didn’t want to tire him out too much so Saturday we did breakfast at Cape May at the Beach Club (his favorite character is Donald Duck). He doesn’t eat much but it was worth every cent for the smile he had.
Sunday we went to EPCOT and had breakfast at the Garden Grill (well you can’t visit and not meet Mickey!). I can’t tell you how great those characters were with him and my Pop. Uncle Charlie was wearing his WWII vet hat; Pop his Vietnam vet hat. All the characters touched their hats then either shook their hands or patted them on their shoulder, showing thanks for their service. So many cast members, as well as other guests thanked them as well. One guest even asked if he could have a photo taken with the two of them!
A cast member gave me a free Mickey Bar when I bought popcorn and a water. I gave it to my uncle. And we used wheelchairs to get them back to the parking lot (I did preferred parking so it wouldn’t be so far). I got Uncle Charlie to the car (turned it on so he’d have A/C), and was going back for Pop. My sister had an asthma attack, so I joked 1 down, 2 to go as I was going back for Pop. A wonderful young man from security wheeled her to the car so I had only 2 trips.

The magic was all around Sunday March 18!

I hope we get more good stories! CF415AF2-2C26-4916-875E-5F87916CDA4E.jpeg

@Piglet843, you asked for more stories as how the magic is still there. Hope this one fits the bill:

Last weekend, my uncle was visiting us. His first visit! He’s 93 and we didn’t want to tire him out too much so Saturday we did breakfast at Cape May at the Beach Club (his favorite character is Donald Duck). He doesn’t eat much but it was worth every cent for the smile he had.
Sunday we went to EPCOT and had breakfast at the Garden Grill (well you can’t visit and not meet Mickey!). I can’t tell you how great those characters were with him and my Pop. Uncle Charlie was wearing his WWII vet hat; Pop his Vietnam vet hat. All the characters touched their hats then either shook their hands or patted them on their shoulder, showing thanks for their service. So many cast members, as well as other guests thanked them as well. One guest even asked if he could have a photo taken with the two of them!
A cast member gave me a free Mickey Bar when I bought popcorn and a water. I gave it to my uncle. And we used wheelchairs to get them back to the parking lot (I did preferred parking so it wouldn’t be so far). I got Uncle Charlie to the car (turned it on so he’d have A/C), and was going back for Pop. My sister had an asthma attack, so I joked 1 down, 2 to go as I was going back for Pop. A wonderful young man from security wheeled her to the car so I had only 2 trips.

The magic was all around Sunday March 18!

I hope we get more good stories! View attachment 311529

Perfect! All the feels... And thank you Uncle Charlie and Pop for your service!

On our 1st trip in 2006 my daughter was 5. On our 1st night at POR I explained that she would be eating breakfast in a castle and meeting all the princesses she loved. Well the next morning I got her into her Cinderella dress and we met her mother and a great aunt in the lobby. I overheard her tell her mother that daddy said she was eating with princesses (but she was not to sure about me being right). We got to MK early (all my CRT's were to walk down an empty Main Street) and she was holding her mothers hand about 5-10 feet in front of me when she suddenly stopped looked at her mother and said "Its Real". If you get lucky they never completely outgrow the magic. For out next trip in June I had not made any character ADR's and my daughter looked at my list and added 2 Garden Grill (Chip & Dale) and Trattoria (Rapunzel).

We planned our GD's first trip for Veterans Day after her second birthday at Disneyland. A couple days before my daughter was admitted to the hospital and had to have surgery the day we would be checking in to VGC. We were staying on points so it was to late to cancel. We took DGD. She loved every puddle and water fountain. My DH let her ride on top of the stroller. She was in heaven.
We had a reservation at Ariel's Grotto for lunch. She was not a big eater so we were coaxing her into another bite of Mac and Cheese, when she looks up and starts calling out "Rella Rella. Come here." She had spotted Cinderella. I did not even know that she knew who she was. She was so thrilled. Rella talked to her and took a picture with her and then 'Booty' came in. Same thing.
She had a great time. Still missed her Mom a lot but had so much to tell her about on the phone later that night.
Grammy and Papa were leaking from the eyes that day.

LOVED this!! What incredible memories you made that day! Please thank them for their service for me (My dad is a Vietnam vet, too! <3 )

LOVED this!! What incredible memories you made that day! Please thank them for their service for me (My dad is a Vietnam vet, too! <3 )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter