The luau at Aulani

We went a week a go Saturday night and had a blast at the luau. We did decide to pay for the VIP seating and loved having the close view of the main stage. It made it super easy for me to take pictures. The show is lovely and the cast members were all super nice! The food was ok - most of it good, but not great. The banana bread pudding was incredible.

For what it's worth, when we were talking to the owner of the charter service we used for our whale watching excursion (where the whales were sadly a no show), he said that the Aulani luau is the one that he takes friends/family to now.

We went to both Paradise Cove's luau and Aulani's luau in April (last month) and there is no question that Aulani's was superior in every way. The food was better, the performers were better, the storytellers/MC were better, etc. The acoustics were much better at Aulani too. We could understand every word. It was harder to understand at Paradise Cove. Aulani was much more kid-friendly than Paradise Cove. My only "complaint" about Aulani's was that the tables are too close together. We needed more room to get in and out for the buffet. Paradise Cove was a little chaotic. The staff was confused about who was sitting where. You get a "cove card" to spend there and you can use it for drinks or buy merchandise, but there are a lot of independent vendors who do not take the card. And if you wanted to buy the photo they take of you, the line is long and they don't have a good system for finding your picture. The pre-show activities felt rushed, and there was a lot going on at the same time. Aulani was much more relaxed. There were no vendors. The only thing they tried to sell you was a photo, and they came to you during dinner and showed it to you on a tablet. No pressure. Other than that there was no selling. There were a few crafts and activities for the kids and it was laid back. Paradise Cove did have knife throwing, which my husband and teen son loved. But Aulani was more family-friendly.

We enjoyed both, for different reasons, and we did Aulani's on our first night and Paradise Cove a full week later on our last. I'm glad we did both, but if I had to pick only one there is no question that I would pick Aulani's.

We just left aulani and did the Luau. Because they are redoing the lawn it is indoors. One price which is 125 per person all drinks included. I don't know when it will move back outside.

I understand that the line for the non-VIP seating at Aulani is very long. How soon before the 5:15PM check-in time should I be on in the queue for a 'decent' seat?

I understand that the line for the non-VIP seating at Aulani is very long. How soon before the 5:15PM check-in time should I be on in the queue for a 'decent' seat?
I think we were there at 4:45 and were sitting in the back of the first table behind VIP. We were not disappointed with our view.

We showed up at 5:07 and were seated just behind the VIP tables, but off to the side (due to our request to keep the infant in the stroller).

our performance was rained out as we were enjoying the welcome drinks and activities. They let it go about 8-10 minutes (and I saw them checking the weather) before cancelling, and even then I'd say a substantial number of people would have stayed if allowed to.

Got home and spent that money on the broken air conditioner, so in the end it worked out, we got some nice family photos, a free drink and fortunately we had something in the fridge to make upstairs because ama ama quickly had over an hour wait, and ulu café had a line out the door.

I think it was worth it. Honestly, I am not sure it would have been as enjoyable without it. It is a bunch of little things that add up to make it a great experience. For example:

Being allowed in first also means earlier access to pre show activities so we did not have to wait on line for those either.
Nicer Leis
Better Seating
Table service for your drinks (even non alcoholic ones)

None of these things are necessary to enjoy the show, It is Disney and they do put on a great show, but altogether they really make the night a nice one.

I'm really glad I opened this thread! In the past two Aulani visits, I loved the Starlit Hui, but greatly disliked the show at Polynesian Cultural Center and Germaine's. Because of those two experiences, I swore of luaus forever. Now, I'm wondering about the Aulani one.

Curious for opinions, based on my previous experiences, as to wether we should go for it.

My reasons for disliking the Polynesian Cultural Center and Germaine's were that 1), the food was just not to my (and my family's) liking, at all. I tried a bit of everything, and left hungry because I just couldn't do more after single bites. I'm usually a try-everything kind of eater, and the more away from the center the food, the more I enjoy it. 2) The show itself felt 'icky', of course, I had just read a book about colonialism in Hawaii and all I could see were the echoes of that in the performance.

Now, I loved the Starlit Hui, and I never got that 'icky' feeling from the performance. Instead, I felt that there was something culturally being honored and restored. I also loved just sitting at the Olelo Room, listening to music and enjoying the atmosphere as patrons and friends of the band got up to do hulas.

Would gladly hear opinions!

My reasons for disliking the Polynesian Cultural Center and Germaine's were that 1), the food was just not to my (and my family's) liking, at all. I tried a bit of everything, and left hungry because I just couldn't do more after single bites. I'm usually a try-everything kind of eater, and the more away from the center the food, the more I enjoy it. 2) The show itself felt 'icky', of course, I had just read a book about colonialism in Hawaii and all I could see were the echoes of that in the performance.
Is that both shows or just one? If you don't mind sharing a few details, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Hi,
Just returned will write review soon.

We did the VIP Luao. And it did feel VIP. Short line, all activities no line. Great seats, great drinks. Drinks were expensive so I made up my portion in the beverages for sure!!! Ok it was my birthday..... and I might have thought the next morning I didn't need to quite get my money's worth so much;-)
But yes they did bring me drinks and I got up during show to get another;-)
Anyway FOOD was amazing. I don't know if it's because I literally got 1st grabs on food or the yummy drinks but it was really good!! Seriously yummy!!

Ok now honestly non VIP would have been fine as well. Not a big space so all seats seem to be ok. Also I had much spare time arriving at 5 for my VIP I didn't need it and it seemed everyone else did crafts as well.
Food was plentiful. Lines were not long for the drinks to buy.
Happy planning
Kerri

Is that both shows or just one? If you don't mind sharing a few details, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.
Both shows, but as I said, I had just read a book on Hawaiian colonialism, and I was watching with that lens. I just felt very much the tourist, in the worst possible way.
I could try to be more specific, but I'd rather in a PM

Can anyone compare this to Paradise Cove luau?
We did the Paradise Cove a few years ago, it was interesting, service was ok, food was good. We did buy the VIP and I didn't think is was worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter