The Lowden family WDW trip - 1st time

Yep, we could have easily spent another 2 weeks here, but would have been very poor on our return. I see you have made contact on facebook and have accepted you. Last day today. :-(

Day 13 - Tuesday 24rth November 2009.
As very relaxed day planned for today. We did not get to Blizzard beach till almost 11.30 and due to the weather being very cloudy, there were not many cars, allowing us to park very close. We were actually parked near the 16th of the Mickey’s Winter Summerland Golf. Michelle was not feeling too good, so she decided to sit by “Melt Away” wave pool, whilst me and the kids went off to check out the rides, well….. water slides. First up were the purple class of rides. Hitting the Toboggan Racers, Snow Stormers and the Downhill Dippers, they were pretty rapid and I won the first 2 and Thomas claiming he won the last one (which has a timer), I reckon his timer was wrong!
Next was the Green Slopes, which implies that they are easy and for newbies. One of them is pretty good for families, the Teamboat Springs, which claims to be the worlds longest family raft ride and I reckon they are right. Really gentle but long ride. However for some silly reason we decided to take on Summit Plummet, which is a 120 foot vertical free falling body slide. Danielle, bless her, did not realise just what it was, me and Thomas did and it would only have took one of us to say no and the other would have happily backed down. Whilst we were queuing we did not hear anyone screaming so figured it can’t be that bad. Thomas went first and he too was silent. Danielle went next and she screamed all the way down and declared there was no way she would go on that again! I did not scream either, I was too busy clenching my bum cheeks, apparently I hit 56 mph on the way down, water hurts at that speed! We finished the day off with Slush Gusher and it was Thomas’s turn to scream as he grabbed some airtime on the 2nd hump!
About 4 we left and headed to the Winter Summerland Golf, choosing to play the winter side, we then headed back to the Villa and grabbed some more pool time, we obviously thought the day did not contain enough water. We then add a bit of quite time until ready to head for Texas de Brazil. Without a doubt the best meal we have had but very expensive. Thomas and I did our utmost to get our monies worth and did sample all 13 types of meat, feeling a little ill, we headed for home, ready for an early start tomorrow. We still have not seen the Magic Kingdom opening ceremony, so our plan is to go there, grab some missing autographs and then head for AK for our Tusker House booking and Nemo show.

Day 14 - Wednesday 25rth November 2009.
Not the best weather we have had on this holiday, it was pretty foggy and by the time we got to MK, it had started to rain and within the hour it got quite heavy. You could spot the Brit’s a mile off, they were not wearing ponchos at $8 a throw! We got to the park for 8.30, well at the parking for the park at 8.30, unfortunately the monorail to the park was down so everyone had to get the ferry over, getting us to the park for 9.10, 10 minutes after the opening ceremony. We headed in to the park and got a couple more autographs, Snow White, Ariel, Pinocchio and Daisy Duck. We also took the train for the first time. (from the front of MK to Toontown to get Ariel’s autograph) Michelle and I decided to have a really special memento of our time here and our last holiday with our son, so we had a couple of 3D photos of me and Michelle and Thomas and Danielle taken to be etched in to a MM crystal ornament. Not cheap but special! As it was raining we went on Snow Whites Scary Adventures before heading back to the car (via the now working monorail) then drove over to AK for our Tusker House booking and Nemo show.
The rain had eased off a touch by the time we got there, so a change of T shirt, to replace the wet one and we were in the park ready to get a few more autographs and take in some more rides / shows. As for autographs we got Meek (Racoon), Flick (from it’s a bugs life), Rafiki (from the Lion King) and Pocahontas (she was hot…er… played a good part). We then got Rafiki’s planet watch done (where we got all of our autographs), then got very wet on Kali River Rapids (twice!) and then moved on to Expedition Everest, without doubt, the best runaway train we have ever been on! We then headed for Finding Nemo, the Musical, bleeding brilliant it really was.
I think the last 2 weeks were beginning to take their toll, it was only 5pm and we were really tired. However, it is thanksgiving tomorrow and we still need to shop! So Orlando Outlet for some Xmas pressies, then Walmart for a mooch, before heading for the Villa and and early night. Tomorrow (our last full day is going to be a flexible one. If we do get up early enough, it will be MK for the opening ceremony, if not, well lets see!:upsidedow:laughing:

Nope, didn't make the early start today! Oh well, really good laugh in the pool this morning, started packing, then heading off for dinner at the IHOP, then MK, still got a couple of autographs and photos to get and then stay for a final Wishes fireworks.......next report will be from the UK!

Yep, we could have easily spent another 2 weeks here, but would have been very poor on our return. I see you have made contact on facebook and have accepted you. Last day today. :-(

When you go for a little bit longer you can fit in a few more rest days which help combat the tiredness of doing parks every day which is what we do. I agree about the finance comment, can be expensive.

Wow, summit plummet you were brave. Shame about the weather as I know, from experience, that you can start to feel chilled once soaked through even in July.

Always sad the end of the holidays but usually only more so when you have had a fantastic time. Is your son definitely not going away with you any more? My two are still with us (21 and 19) but then Orlando is their favourite place.

Day 15 - Thursday 26th November 2009.
We did not surface till gone 8 so Magic Kingdom opening ceremony was not to be. We lazed around the pool all morning, then did a bit of packing (Well Michelle did, whilst me and the kids went to the resort office to play pool and update the DIS) Thomas also wanted to order a new iPhone, to replace his lost one. Nope, it did not return.
We then went to the IHOP for dinner before going back to Magic Kingdom for the Princess and the Frog photo’s and autographs. Not that long ago, I would have thought it strange to spend time queuing to get an autograph of someone that wasn’t really that person, yet here we were spending time doing just that. We then went off to Epcot to get Mulan’s autograph. Thomas’s girlfriend Katie, better be grateful for all this running around we were doing for her!
We then returned to Magic Kingdom for the 9pm lights parade and our final wishes firework display before we had to fly home! The fireworks were as magical tonight as they were the first time we saw them only a 2 very short weeks ago. We also went back to Magic Kingdom to pick up the Mouse Crystal with our 3D photos etched in to his ears and Cinderella’s Castle in the main part. However, despite ordering it the day before and being assured it would be ready, the base was missing and they could not get one until Friday. So sadly we will have to go back tomorrow to Magic Kingdom for it. As we have to up early anyway, we may make it for the opening ceremony! Lol
We got back to the Villa at 11.30pm and finished all our packing, the time to go home is getting far too close!

Day 16 - Friday 27th November 2009.
Our last day in Orlando, we fly back to the cold winter of the UK tonight! With the number of cases increased from when we arrived, all full, but within weight limits. Now is the time to see if all my training in my younger years with the fisher price shapes game has paid off. How many cases can I get in our 4 door mid sized rental? Which is a Hyundai Sonata, I would have preferred an American muscle car but hey, maybe next time!
Well we did get up early and after it bit of pushing, got 5 cases in the boot and the other 2 in the back seat between the kids. We went straight to MK and was ready to get on the ferry at 8.30. As we docked on the other side one of the crew mentioned that the 9am opening ceremony had started early, so by the time we got off the ferry to watch it, it was over……poo!
So we made our way to the Expo in town hall square for the Mickey Mouse base and asked the lady in the store. She knew nothing about it, after a few phone calls and another hour of waiting, they promised to get one from Epcot. So we went to see the Monsters Inc Laughter floor show, which was very funny, then a corn dog and hot chocolate later we finally got our base. So off to Downtown to check in our cases and have a quick mooch. We then trundled off to Hollywood studios to do the backlot tour. We really were going for it today!
Well we could not put it off any longer and made our way back to Orlando Airport, grabbed some lunch and boarded on time.

Thanks for sharing your holiday I have enjoyed reading it and it helps to read about other people's holidays when you are stuck here and not there.:thumbsup2

Did have a real good holiday and I would tell anyone that does not like amusement parks to do it. I was not looking forward to it at all. I did this for my wife as she wanted to do it. However, with a great deal of help from our friends that have been there....more than once, we had a great time. I would say to any newbie to the parks, 2 things..

1 Decide what type of holiday you want, busy or relaxing, then plan a holiday accordingly...with help

2 Look to go "off season", the last 2 days of our holiday were not the best. Everywhere was really busy and even with the fast pass because of our daughter, we got a little fed up with the crowds.

Actually 3 things and the 3rd is the most important....

Don't act your age if you are a "grown up", get involved, become a child and enjoy every moment.

I want to go back and I wasn't that keen on going

Thanks for taking the time out of your holiday to do the report. It made really entertaining reading and was a good insight into your first trip.

Some good advice there as well for anyone going for the first time - and I especially like the third one.

Some people are just far too serious to enjoy a Florida holiday and it is a good idea to forget your age once you get off the plane and just get into it. I could never imagine myself dancing in the street with Chip n Dale anywhere but MK. And even when I come back home and people see photo's of me with Mickey or any of the other characters I can see in some of their faces that they just don't get it. And most of the time these are the same people whose idea of a good holiday is to leave their kids with someone else for 2 weeks while they drink themselves into a coma all night and sleep all day. Each to their own I guess :lmao:

Anyway I am pleased you had a good time and are looking to go back, and I am looking forward to seeing some more of the pics :thumbsup2

Pleased to see you had a great time and look forward to catching up with you at work to discuss the place.
Hope your DW is not giving you grieve about not going sooner now, but you can always please here with the option of going again.
As you have stated the best advice I give to anyone who comes with us is to have the mind of a child when there and you should not go too far wrong.
Catch up with you later and Kenny nice to see you back home.

Lovely photos. Discovery Cove is fantastic, we celebrated our 20th Wedding Anniversary there, made a memorable day.

Nice you have decided to go again and have put the savings plans in motion.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter