The Last Trip: An (Eastern) Fantasy Food Adventure-Bonus Feature, Pam & Her Mom Pt 2 Sept 17 the end

More beautiful views!

Those hairpin curves were crazy. There was a road in Virginia where I used to live -Highway 42 -and there was a section of it that went up the mountain that had some of those crazy curves. It was fun getting used to it when I first moved there, especially at night -I worked 40 miles away 3pm to 11pm shift and I never got out on time...

I had heard of the Guavaberry in St Maartin and had intended to buy some of the liqueur there but my hubby talked me out of it, we're not big drinkers at home. However, I did get a Guavaberry Colada at the stand outside, YUM! Fun to see an actual tree.

It never even occurred to me that they might try and contact me that morning, but since all of our contact had been via email, that makes sense.

I learned my lesson about not checking communication when I had a charge declined and has to use a different credit card. Got home only to discover if I had looked at my phone and responded to a text from my bank indicating that it wasn't fraud, I could have used the original credit card. Now, I check text, phone, and email.

She does not like her birthday.

I look forward to anytime I can make the day about me. Lol. I really enjoy celebrating the day for friends and family as well.

Has anyone, in the history of cars, actually put gloves in a glove box?

Why yes.....where else to you expect me to store my driving gloves?

Let me know how that works for you!

I can see how this goes. The VIP transportation package is permanently revoked and all future bookings will be at full price and on the 4th floor of building furthest from said transportation where one must use only stairs. :rotfl:

As we drove along there was this little bar right smack in the Middle of nowhere. It was kind of crazy.

This is Stoutt’s Lookout Bar. It sure does have a view!

My hubs would have had to stop at both of these locations.

You really captures some lovely photos of the ocean and island. I would have been holding on tight to my seat with those roads/turns. yikes.

Those curves were crazy!! Our driver did the same thing (tap the horn) and a couple of times we noticed a couple of 'near misses' though maybe the locals wouldn't consider them near misses :rotfl2:

Hey, we stopped at Stoutts bar and my hubby and I shared a Red Stripe :drinking1

Those chickens were......everywhere.......as common as dogs and cats are here!

I love that you received a 'bonus' towel animal, love that Pixie Dust pixiedust:

Great tour, thanks for sharing :)

The wall of art is quite impressive.

I always enjoy seeing all the chickens wandering around.

Thank you for the bat signal! I was two updated behind. :blush: For some reason I am not getting notifications from any threads outside of the DLR board. :confused:

Those views are gorgeous and the tour looks fun. I am glad you had a good guide; it makes all the difference. I am sorry Fran wasn't feeling well. :hug:

What a nice tour! We stopped there once on an NCL cruise and took a taxi to Brewer's Bay. We loved the quiet beach and watching the birds dive (like in your pic).

Looks like you had a lovely tour of the island! Those icees seem like a nice 'perk' Too bad Fran wasn't feeling up for the Rum or Wineries!

I did notice that Fran was sounding a bit better

That's good that she was feeling better.

And I'm glad that you managed to see some of the island. It looks really fascinating to me.

From 1650 until 1970 every sailor in the British Navy received a daily ration of Rum. That was the highlight of the day for many.

Until 1970? Wow! That would have cost the British Navy an arm and a leg!

We encountered “traffic jams” pretty often,

There's traffic jams everywhere!!! I guess this is their equivalent of the 4-0-5.

none of the structures ever seemed “finished”.

Athens was a lot like that. If anyone finished their building, they were subject to building tax. So nothing ever looked finished.

Another view of the harbor.

Stunning!

While outside the vehicle, I couldn't resist taking a picture.

I can't believe how that vehicle made it round those hairpin bends!

So all the while that we were touring the island, I kept seeing the chickens that the Caribbean is known for running wild. However in this little town they were really abundant.

Nice! You got to stalk one.

We passed this Rum distillery on our way, but reviews I had read of it weren’t stellar and Fran didn’t feel at all like drinking so we just passed on it.

That's a shame.

WOW! Did you stop there?

This curve was a little more hair-raising. We were on the inside of this one.

YIKES!

We saw this cat along the way, and Fran asked if it wanted to be adopted.

That looks like a Siamese! Surely.....it wasn't a stray????

a $50 tip

Good on ya! I expect that's a week's worth or a month's worth of pay right there for her.

I started to count the number of photos already present in what I had written for the next update and I was already at three different posts, so I’ve cut it off at two, and I have enough pictures for three more posts for the next update!

And these are the SHORT updates?? :faint:

I also watched the cars go up and down that crazy road in the center, not realizing I would be riding on it just a few hours.

Cool...:hyper:

The thing with booking through Disney is that if something goes wrong they won't leave you behind on the island, if you're on your own, well not so much!

:eek: I imagine that would not be a good feelilng, watching your ship sail away...

We also didn't want to start too early because you all know how we get up and just hop right out of bed. Well at least one of us has that ability. :rolleyes1

:rotfl:

Knowing that breakfast was served from 8:00-9:30 and that we run on the late end of the spectrum, we figured that we could count on being done at breakfast by 10AM at the latest, so 11AM would be a good time to start the tour. That would put us boarding the ship just after 2PM well before the 5PM sail away, so that's what we set up.

The math seems to work on paper, but why do I get the feeling there's some foreshadowing going on here?

These poor suckers on the ship out there had to tender in.

Heh. Take that, Carnival! Did you stand there and laugh at them?

She made sure that I knew she was going on this tour under duress, and was only doing it “because she loved me.”

:rotfl2: When Julie says something like this, it usually means, "You owe me big time, and I intend to collect."

We traveled around some back streets. I was amazed at how little leeway these streets had.

I imagine real estate is at a premium on a tiny island like that.

We went out onto the “highway”, it was the only two lanes in each direction road that we drove on!

:eek: I'd be out of a job!

I was amazed at the amount of random stuff people had out in their yards.

Because hey, why not.

Now one thing I thought was really weird was that none of the structures ever seemed “finished”. They all had rebar sticking out of the tops, and when I asked our guide, she said that was in case anyone wanted to put another story on top. Bizzarre!

Paradise looks a lot different up close.

IMG_1006.jpg

I really like that shot!:thumbsup2

And Thanks! @Steppesister for squeezing in a comment on the bottom of the previous page so I got the top spot on this one!

Oh, sure. I see how it is.

My pleasure. LOL! Totally meant to do that.

(That was only a fluke, the truth be known. I was not in any way counting or paying attention.)

Steppesister: making amends as best she can wherever she goes. See @Captain_Oblivious, I can play nice when want to. ;)

And here you told me it was a total fluke.... :rolleyes1

Sssssh.... you're gonna make Mark actually go back and read all the chatter. Lololol!

:sad2:

Ain't nobody got time for that!

While outside the vehicle, I couldn't resist taking a picture.

Look at that! Crashed right into the garden. Hope everyone was ok.

As we continued on I noticed that depending on where we were the paving substance varied. If only we had a highway engineer who could enlighten me on the various different substances. This looks like concrete to me, but I'm no expert.

Looks like concrete to me as well. Asphalt is smoother and cheaper, but doesn't last as long. Concrete is more rigid and expensive, and requires expansion joints every so often to keep from cracking. But it will last much longer than asphalt.

As we drove along there was this little bar right smack in the Middle of nowhere. It was kind of crazy.

I guess these things must turn a profit.

So all the while that we were touring the island, I kept seeing the chickens that the Caribbean is known for running wild. However in this little town they were really abundant.

Reminds me of Kauai.

They were even dumpster diving!

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I think this picture really captures the serenity of the island!

Yes! Good one!

Fran didn’t feel at all like drinking so we just passed on it.

It's like I don't even know you guys anymore.

Just look at that water!

This is “the original shell museum”.

Well, good. I'd hate for you guys to have to make do with a replica.

We ascended a small hill to pass by the thing in the map that looks like a lake, By this point, the steep curves had me wanting to show all my readers how crazy the grades and angles were. This doesn’t look so bad.

The camera tends to flatten things out a bit.

Since we’re driving on the wrong side of the road, we go on the outside for this curve, but if you notice the curve is completely blind. Our driver would tap her horn as she came around the curves to alert other drivers to our presence. The other drivers weren’t always that courteous.

Heh. And a good time was had by all!

Now that one looks REALLY steep!

I immediately noticed the change in the foliage, now the lush vegetation was replaced by cacti.

This reminds me so much of Hawaii. Amazing how different two sides of the same island could be. So many different climate zones in such a small space.

She was blown away when we gave her a $50 tip I guess folks don't tip quite that good, but she was great about stopping where we wanted, and she showed us a good tour as well as drove safely in such a crazy place.

Wow, she was probably begging you guys to come back!

Yeah but who's got the time for that.

The store you bring them to.

Especially for the photos that’s didn't make the cut of the photo album.

Toss those ones.

Probably elitists like Fran who actually owned driving gloves.

Nah. She just tossed them on the seat beside her.

Yeah cause I was thinking, "I've heard of Barn Owls, Snow Owls, and maybe a couple other owls, but these had to be unique to Canada. I live by the ocean and there ain't no owls near here!

:laughing:

Let me know how that works for you!

Still waiting on the response. I'm sure it will be favourable though.

I did and she said "Noted"

That's it? No Caramilks for her! :laughing:

Yeah, I'm so sick of Disney movies where the princess completes herself by marrying the Prince. I was glad to see they didn't do that here.

How about:

"They were soon married and the prince carried her on his steed into his castle. Soon after, the new princess stabbed him in his sleep, chopped him up into little pieces and served him in a fine bouillabaisse to the local townsfolk. She lived happily ever after."

I may be a geek, but even though it wasn't star wars and transformers, it was still OK effects. It wasn't like the water scene in "Some like it Hot", so I was fine with it

Never seen Some Like it Hot (but am aware of the movie.) Some day...

Huh. Didn't know how that made it colonial.

I guess I look at it this way. Prior to the British (or French... or Spanish... or Portuguese) coming over, there was nothing like that there. Then when they did build... they seem to always be stuck in that period of street design/layout.

Well kind of. Our house will never be done. Nor will it ever be presentable.

:laughing:

I don't know if that will work either.

Okay. Final offer. Lighter fluid and a match.

You should! I think it would help your TRs.

They can certainly use some help! Have you had the misfortune of seeing the drivel I've written lately???

Next we came upon this wall. I stole this description from a travel website.

Interesting... and I like it.

In the tourist area, we had seen Guavaberry wine, evidently this is the tree.

Did you try some? (Either the berry or the wine?)

Nicer than the one I'd posted, but similar.

Too bad that it crashed, though. Get out of the hedge okay?

Man, those ships dwarf.... everything!

If only we had a highway engineer who could enlighten me on the various different substances. This looks like concrete to me, but I'm no expert.

If only!

Did you stop? I would've been pretty tempted.

I mentioned earlier about the houses with rebar sticking out and “stuff” everywhere in the yards, this was one of a few houses that seemed finished and we'll manicured.

I'm guessing if the home is finished, it means the owner is fairly well off.

We started to descend down this hill towards a beach.

Busy!... And very pretty.

If you’re keeping track on the map of the island, I think this is where we hit the coast of the other side of the island.

Yup. You can tell. The water's obviously more wet here.

I keep picturing Fran's birthday meal......

Our driver even pulled over and let me get out to stalk them.

:laughing: Why??? You didn't have a fryer with you, did you?

They were even dumpster diving!

Not something you see everyday.

I think this picture really captures the serenity of the island!

It does. Nice shot, Alison.

I have no idea why... but I really like this shot. Maybe it shows a more "everyday" scene?

We passed this Rum distillery on our way, but reviews I had read of it weren’t stellar and Fran didn’t feel at all like drinking so we just passed on it.

The rum wasn't great or the tour?

More breathtaking views.

::yes::
I'm not commenting on every photo, but I'm enjoying all of them!

Notice how the foliage is different than the palms and other trees we were seeing in the first part of the tour.

Hey! That's right! I hadn't quite clicked on that yet.

So you stopped then. What did you have? Or did you just admire the view?

Beautiful!

This is “the original shell museum”.

Sure. Why not. Someone has to be the originator.
(Love all the signs.)

If my map is correct, we still had all the way to the end of that hill on the far right of the picture to travel.

You guys covered a lot of ground.

Nice! Caught that bird in mid-dive.

I have no idea what this is...a crazy person’s house? Or maybe now I remember this is where they hold rage parties….

What the heck is a rage party?

"Hi! I'm really excited to come in and party!"
"Well then you can't come in?"
"What???? I traveled all this way! Now I'm really angry!"
"Okay. You can come in now."

Since we’re driving on the wrong side of the road, we go on the outside for this curve, but if you notice the curve is completely blind. Our driver would tap her horn as she came around the curves to alert other drivers to our presence. The other drivers weren’t always that courteous.

Probably the locals are pretty used to it.

eep!

You’d better hope that the oncoming car stays on their side of that yellow line!

Nah. Island mentality. Relax. What's the worst that could happen?

The houses here are so colorful!

Love all the pastel colours.

I immediately noticed the change in the foliage, now the lush vegetation was replaced by cacti.

You've got a good eye for details.

We split both of these, and I forgot the flavors, but they were not common flavors that you find in the US. The purple one may have been the guava berry (that we stopped to look at the tree) and the yellow one, might have been pineapple cream, but I don’t really remember.

How were they? And... "treated". She paid? Or they were free? Or you guys had to pay?

We saw this cat along the way, and Fran asked if it wanted to be adopted. I think we might have had some trouble getting it back on the ship.

That's why you should always travel with a soundproof backpack.

:laughing: If you don't have another sign, just turn it around so the arrow points in the right direction. They'll figure it out.

This is the tourist trap bazaar. It’s about walking distance from the port, if you can walk long distances.

Pass. I much prefer where you guys went and saw.

She was blown away when we gave her a $50 tip I guess folks don't tip quite that good, but she was great about stopping where we wanted, and she showed us a good tour as well as drove safely in such a crazy place.

:goodvibes Bet it felt good to make her day like that.

Once back in our room, we found this guy. Since the steward couldn’t come in last night (because Fran was sick) we got a “make up” towel animal.

Cute! :)

Up Next: I shoulda had a V8!

Uh, oh... this bodes... not well....

Last edited:
I had surprise "bonus time" on the computer

WOOOHOOO for bonus time!

I really love this! It reminds vaguely of the mural in The Ditch, just a little less artistically done. But still folksy and Latino/Caribbean in nature.

I remember her saying that this was a community meeting house, they would have civic and social gatherings at this place.

We call those Granges up here.

I mentioned earlier about the houses with rebar sticking out and “stuff” everywhere in the yards, this was one of a few houses that seemed finished and we'll manicured.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this was the home of a foreigner.

This looks a lot like Scotch Broom, an invasive species up here, but I looked up some images and the flowers are different. Same pretty sunshiny yellow. Love it.

Mmmm, stewed chicken!

Beautiful! Very tranquil.

Best to avoid rum in these circumstances. Especially on THOSE roads!

A legit place. I'd stop there for a drink in a heartbeat!

I want to snorkel riiiiiiight there! Yep. Right there.

Or maybe now I remember this is where they hold rage parties….

The rage parties sounds more accurate.

Well, that was abrupt.

This for the cars who don't make the turn and end up rolled over.

More beautiful views!

Those hairpin curves were crazy. There was a road in Virginia where I used to live -Highway 42 -and there was a section of it that went up the mountain that had some of those crazy curves. It was fun getting used to it when I first moved there, especially at night -I worked 40 miles away 3pm to 11pm shift and I never got out on time...

I didn't realize that the US allowed roads like that to be built, although I have heard stories about the back country in Virginia being very different from say a suburban city.

I had heard of the Guavaberry in St Maartin and had intended to buy some of the liqueur there but my hubby talked me out of it, we're not big drinkers at home. However, I did get a Guavaberry Colada at the stand outside, YUM! Fun to see an actual tree.

The more I think about it, the icee she bought us was probably Guavaberry.

I learned my lesson about not checking communication when I had a charge declined and has to use a different credit card. Got home only to discover if I had looked at my phone and responded to a text from my bank indicating that it wasn't fraud, I could have used the original credit card. Now, I check text, phone, and email.

The problem is when you have no cell service and the ship's internet is like almost a $1 per minute of online time, you use it really sparingly. I was probably out of range by the time we disembarked the ship.

I look forward to anytime I can make the day about me. Lol. I really enjoy celebrating the day for friends and family as well.

I love it too, but her not so much.

I can see how this goes. The VIP transportation package is permanently revoked and all future bookings will be at full price and on the 4th floor of building furthest from said transportation where one must use only stairs. :rotfl:

I would laugh if that happened!

My hubs would have had to stop at both of these locations.

You really captures some lovely photos of the ocean and island. I would have been holding on tight to my seat with those roads/turns. yikes.

I wouldn't have minded either, but I wouldn't have wanted to keep the driver waiting and with those turns wouldn't have wanted to buy her a drink!

Those curves were crazy!! Our driver did the same thing (tap the horn) and a couple of times we noticed a couple of 'near misses' though maybe the locals wouldn't consider them near misses :rotfl2:

Yeah, I don't think we had a situations that could have been near misses, but I'm sure to them what we think is :eek: they're like "be cool man".

Hey, we stopped at Stoutts bar and my hubby and I shared a Red Stripe :drinking1

I would have minded that if I had a way to get back and wasn't paying by the minute.

Those chickens were......everywhere.......as common as dogs and cats are here!

::yes::

I love that you received a 'bonus' towel animal, love that Pixie Dust pixiedust:

It's why we keep coming back to Disney!

Great tour, thanks for sharing :)

The wall of art is quite impressive.

I always enjoy seeing all the chickens wandering around.

Thanks, I had a good time. It was interesting and I'm glad we got off the ship and did something!

I love the chickens too. They added chickens (in crates) on the refurb of PotC for the 50th Anniversary and there were people on one of my Disney FB groups saying, "But what's with the chickens?" And I was thinking, "clearly you have never been to the Caribbean!"

I'm caught up again!!! I CANNOT wait to cruise with you guys next year!!!! Hopefully the person who shall not be named is able to bunk with me. ;)

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter