The iPhone Collective

this is my first post using my iPhone.

An I reading right did someone say the iphone works as a voip phone while on wifi?

Wow tethering would make me so happy I use tethering with my lap top 3 or 4 times a year. Now that I have an iphone I have to use my wife's phone and the battery life is way too short so using the iphone would be great

Basically it's just using your phone as a moden so you can get the internet on your computer when you're away from your network :)

:goodvibes

Really enjoying 2Across now, can download crosswords from loads of newspapers from across the world, with all their archives too :)

I have the original 4gig IPHONE. If I listed all of my apps I would have carpal tunnel lol. Some favorites:
Hell's Kitchen
Aurora
Peg Jump
Crash Cart
IPint
Holdem'
Lemonade
Tap tap
IBOWL
Sudoku
Hangman
Pumpkin
Ruby Repeat
Flashlight
Remote
Word warp
Pop Quiz
Pumpkin
i.tv
Facebook
Magic Kingdom maps
The weather channel
Elevens
All recipes
Topple
Price is right
TV showking

Just to name a few lol

Dropped calls are a known issue with iPhone and it is software related. Basically what happens is if you are say, on WiFi and talking on the phone and walk out of that WiFi area, it will drop your call when it tries to move to 3G. Same between 3G and EDGE. Apple hasn't figured out a way to make the transition for DATA not interfere with your VOICE call :rolleyes: Always make sure you plug in to iTunes and check for updates every once and a while. It has gotten a lot better with some of the software updates.

I hope this made sense to some of those less technical folks out there. Moral of the story: Check for software updates often!:thumbsup2

I can honestly say I have rarely had a dropped call. You may have been misinformed. Dropped calls were an AT&T problem when the iPhone was first introduced in 2007. It was cleared up within the first 6 months by AT&T. The problem you talk about "Apple hasn't figured out a way to make the transition for DATA not interfere with your VOICE call" is completely false. This does not exist. Data and voice are two different systems that do not interact with each other at all. My husband has been a iPhone software developer since July 2007 and assures me of this. My IPHONE is my next limb. I would be lost without it. Okay.... getting off my soapbox now (let the flaming begin).:rotfl:

funny thing in my case, is that my Iphone 3G started off with hardly EVER dropping a call. With each update, it seems to get worse. I hope that 3.0 announced today will fix some of this. I have had more dropped calls on my Iphone in the past 8 months than I had in the previous 5 or 6 with Sprint.

With that said, it is a wonderful device, and if they could ever get this dropped call business fixed, it would be the only device to have. The APP store was a stroke of genius, even if it ended up being very different that what Apple had envisioned.

I have never had a dropped call.
Tho like I said, I imagine the infrastructure is probably better in the UK due to it being a tiny little island :lmao:

I can honestly say I have rarely had a dropped call. You may have been misinformed. Dropped calls were an AT&T problem when the iPhone was first introduced in 2007. It was cleared up within the first 6 months by AT&T. The problem you talk about "Apple hasn't figured out a way to make the transition for DATA not interfere with your VOICE call" is completely false. This does not exist. Data and voice are two different systems that do not interact with each other at all. My husband has been a iPhone software developer since July 2007 and assures me of this. My IPHONE is my next limb. I would be lost without it. Okay.... getting off my soapbox now (let the flaming begin).:rotfl:

No flaming from me. You are absolutely correct about the data/voice thing. I suspect what somebody was trying to say was the dropping issue had to do with transitions from the 3G network to the (older) Edge network. At any rate, the problem has definitely been fixed.

Sorry, about that, it is the transition from 3G to EDGE that makes it drop calls. It is a software issue though, one that Apple has (hopefully) fixed with the 3.0 update that will be coming this summer. If you read in the notes about the software updates, most of them will say something about fixing issues with dropped calls. It did get markedly better with the software version 2 or 2.1 they all roll together in my brain. I have noticed it got worse this last time though :rotfl: I work for AT&T, and I have had an iPhone and iPhone 3G both within the first month of launch. I have also used numerous other AT&T phones, none of which have a problem with dropped calls. Anyway, it doesn't matter how it happens, I just want it fixed.

I was tired of holding my Itouch when I watch TV or a movie. I finally found the dream stand. :cool1: Podium Revolution is amazing!! I found a coupon online and got 20% off. If you don't have one yet get one. Amazing
Website is Podiumrevolution.com

I was tired of holding my Itouch when I watch TV or a movie. I finally found the dream stand. :cool1: Podium Revolution is amazing!! I found a coupon online and got 20% off. If you don't have one yet get one. Amazing
Website is Podiumrevolution.com

wow, that does look pretty cool, but not for that price.

The iphone collective. Cool.

Question for you and please point me to another topic if the question isn't appropriate here. I'm currently up for phone upgrades for both DW and myself. I've been considering upgrading to smartphones or the iphone. I like my current FamilyTalk plan with AT&T and want to keep that. If I get iphones is it $30 per phone for the iphone data plan or one charge per account? I'm guessing it's each. Thx....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter