The Groovy New Pop Century FAQ Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRANSPORTATION

• Unlike other value resorts, the Pop Century buses go directly to a destination; they do not stop at any other resort to pick up other guests, so they’re most efficient
  • Buses run throughout the entire day
  • Pop Century is a “Magic On Demand” resort (Zone 5); this means buses get dispatched on an as-needed basis
  • Travel time and route calculator: http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/asp/twiz.aspx
  • You cannot walk to any destination from Pop
  • There’s a separate bus stop for each of the WDW parks, including Downtown Disney, located in front of Classic Hall.
  • Pop Century bus’ hours of operation
    • Begins one hour before park opens, including park Early Magic Hours
    • Begins 30 minutes prior to first scheduled on-property character breakfast
    • Approximately one hour past park’s closure; keep in mind that this is a very busy time for transportation needs, so waiting times and commute times are increased
  • Magical Express from MCO airport is free, but reservations are required. You need to provide flight information to Disney so they know when to expect you
  • Free parking at resort
  • Guest check-in parking available in front of Classic Hall
  • Routes to get to popular resort Character Breakfasts from Pop Century
    • If you’re early enough, the bus driver may drive you directly to the resort, so ask!
    • Chef Mickey’s at Contemporary Resort
      • bus to Magic Kingdom then monorail to Contemporary (or walk)
    • ‘Ohana Character Breakfast at Polynesian Resort
      • bus to Magic Kingdom then monorail to Poly
    • 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian Resort
      • bus to Magic Kingdom then Monorail to Grand Floridian
    • Cape May Café at Beach Club Resort
      • Bus to Epcot then boat to Beach Club Resort
  • Routes to get to Dinner Shows from Pop Century
    • Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue at Fort Wilderness
      • Bus to Magic Kingdom then boat to Fort Wilderness
    • Polynesian Spirit of Aloha Luau at Polynesian Resort
      • bus to Magic Kingdom then monorail to Poly
  • Walk time to bus stop will not be more than approx 7 minutes
  • Estimated commute times (varies on traffic and times of day)
    • Animal Kingdom: 6 - 12 minutes
    • Blizzard Beach: 6 minutes
    • Downtown Disney: 10 - 15 minutes
    • Epcot: 8 minutes
    • Magic Kingdom: 12 minutes
    • MGM Studios: 5 minutes
    • Typhoon Lagoon: 6 minutes or 16 minutes, depending on route
TIPS & MISC STUFF
  • Bring a pop-up hamper for dirty clothes; this makes it easy to run down to laundry room, too
  • Bring over-the-door or hanging closet clear pocket organizer (like a shoe holder) to reduce clutter and missing items; frequently found at Dollar Tree for a dollar, of course!
  • Pack a Travel Space Saver Bag for all those new stuffed animals that need to come home
  • Bring clothes pins to hang up wet swimsuits on the retractable clothes line in the shower, to help keep curtains closed, or to hang a mouse by his ear in your window
  • Pack a night light
  • Decorate your window with stuffed animals, dolls, inflatables, holiday lights, DIS lime green Mickey heads, and window clings to make it more festive and recognizable to the kiddos.
  • If you need additional privacy from the vanity area or if you're looking to darken the sleeping area while you’re getting ready in the morning, pack a tension rod and shower curtain w/rings or a regular curtain. Place this between the vanity area and the bed area. Estimated width of this space is 4’ – 5’. An alternative is to use two command adhesive (removable) hooks and hang shower curtain on hooks.
  • Can’t get enough water? Order a case of water from a place like Staples and have it deli vered to the resort in your name.
  • Need snacks? Check Amazon.com for snacks and they frequently have free S&H for orders over $25!
  • Need groceries? Reach out to http://gardengrocer.com for their delivery services to the resort. You can also order a styrofoam cooler from them for your stay. When you leave, pass along the cooler to someone at the pool!
  • To save money, pack your own detergent and dryer sheets if you plan to do laundry. Considering buying Dropps (pre-measured gel packs) or pre-measure powdered detergent in baggies.
  • Need a gift basket or flowers delivered to your room? Here are some DISer suggested companies:

Kimberly - That's an awesome list, thanks!

The only thing I saw that is wrong is that there is no longer smoking rooms available anywhere onsite at WDW. So that could be removed.
There ARE designated smoking areas around the resort outside, much like the areas at the parks.

Thanks again!

Kimberly - That's an awesome list, thanks!

The only thing I saw that is wrong is that there is no longer smoking rooms available anywhere onsite at WDW. So that could be removed.
There ARE designated smoking areas around the resort outside, much like the areas at the parks.

Thanks again!

You're ALL most welcome! Thanks for the correction...I'll make it now!

Nice compilation. Have you thought of pm'ing Tyler and seeing if he will edit the first post to include this information?

I definitely appreciate your hard work and understand your point. I know at one point we seemed to have pages and pages of "I leave in xx days!" which clutters up the thread when someone is looking for information.

Just a thought. Thanks for posting everything you gathered!

Thank you so much for your hard work. We just switched from CBR to POP today, so now I'm looking for as much info as possible..you made my task SO much easier!!!

We will be celebrating DGS birthday on Jan 6. He will also be 7. Look for our room--we will have the window decorated for his birthday trip!!!!

We will be decorating our window too. We've requested 70's as DS wanted to stay in the 70's for his 7th birthday. I've been to Pop twice already and am heading there next week with just my oldest (DD-8). DS has never been. He's going to love it!

I will be going to Pop for Christmas time..what are some neat ideas I can do to decorate our door and window? I went to Home Depot and got the red and green Mickey ears to put on the door and I also got christmas window clings to put in the window but looking for more ideas out there....just don't want to put anything with my kids pictures or names on there (husband is a police officer and doesn't think that is safe)...

I've been looking for Disney window clings for Christmas but havent found any yet at our local stores

I didn't find any Disney clings yet but I did just pick up some regular Christmas clings for right now...I am still hunting though....

Buckeye Gal, you did a great job about everything at POP. We were there Oct. 22-27th, stayed in the 60's building lake side 4th floor,standard room and it was great. Only one thing that was changed and that was the price of the refillable mugs. They are now $12.49 plus tax. I believe that changed a few weeks ago.
Staying at the POP was a lot of fun.

Buckeye Gal, you did a great job about everything at POP. We were there Oct. 22-27th, stayed in the 60's building lake side 4th floor,standard room and it was great. Only one thing that was changed and that was the price of the refillable mugs. They are now $12.49 plus tax. I believe that changed a few weeks ago.
Staying at the POP was a lot of fun.

Oooh! Thanks for the updated price! I've modified the post to reflect that.

I can't wait to stay there myself! Glad you had a great time!!!

Going to be at Pop 1/14-1/21. It will be me, DH and DS7. I definetly know I want to have a Lake view (if possible). Any suggestions? Are any of the buildings better for DS?

I have just found this thread and haven't had time to look through all of the posts. We have just got back from staying in the 60's building from 09/08 - 09/15 and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I was our 1st time staying at a WDW resort. I loved walking around and taking pictures of all the stuff. I was wondering if anyone might know if they are ever going to finish the "Legendary Years" area of buildings. It seems like an awful lot of waste to have done that much work and not finish it. The only reason I can think the work might be on hold is because they are spending all of their construction money on the DVC resorts.

162735Legendary_Years_ashx-med.jpg

Wow - Thank you for taking the time and effort to make this list! I sat down this AM to make just such a list for my upcoming trip in December. Instead of several hours of work it took 5 minutes to copy/paste/print.

Thanks again!!

I will be going to Pop for Christmas time..what are some neat ideas I can do to decorate our door and window? I went to Home Depot and got the red and green Mickey ears to put on the door and I also got christmas window clings to put in the window but looking for more ideas out there....just don't want to put anything with my kids pictures or names on there (husband is a police officer and doesn't think that is safe)...

Christmas lights.
Fake snow (the cottony type, not the spray on the window messy stuff!)

Definitely no pics or names of the room occupants, not just the kids. Adults too.

Christmas lights.
Fake snow (the cottony type, not the spray on the window messy stuff!)

Definitely no pics or names of the room occupants, not just the kids. Adults too.

Thanks so much for the info...I never thought about the fake snow...that is something else going on my long list of things to get.....:santa:

Wow - Thank you for taking the time and effort to make this list! I sat down this AM to make just such a list for my upcoming trip in December. Instead of several hours of work it took 5 minutes to copy/paste/print.

Thanks again!!

You are most welcome!

You're all making me feel like it was worth it as I hear it's saving many of you HOURS and HOURS (that I assure you it took me and would you, too!). It's always better to know you're helping others, not just yourself!

Have a great trip!!!

I've been reading and reading all your threads and tips!!! I will be at the POP next Sunday! I feel like I know it already!!!
Thanks again!:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter