The GROOVIER New Pop Century FAQ Thread! ~ Post #1 is a must see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've flown the last three trips so have never had a car, but are driving this year to save money (UGH!). We plan to leave the car parked at POP all week. MAINLY because we are directionally challenged and I think trying to maneuver around WDW would cause WAY more stress than hauling a stroller on a bus! :rotfl2: This past May we were VERY lucky because most of the Pop busses weren't terribly crowded. Hope January is even less crowded!!

What are the must see's at Pop Century?

DD and I are doing a short weekend trip so we'll mostly be at the parks but I wanted to see some fun stuff around the resort on our travel day.

TIA,

Connie

If your in the main lobby I believe it's around 6pm the cast members do the hustle it's pretty neat to watch!

We've flown the last three trips so have never had a car, but are driving this year to save money (UGH!). We plan to leave the car parked at POP all week. MAINLY because we are directionally challenged and I think trying to maneuver around WDW would cause WAY more stress than hauling a stroller on a bus! :rotfl2: This past May we were VERY lucky because most of the Pop busses weren't terribly crowded. Hope January is even less crowded!!

Hi!
I'm from St. Louis, too, and we're staying at POP this December... and driving. (Same as you, to save money!) Do you plan to spend the night on the way? Where? We used to live closer, so we always drove, and left the car parked the entire trip - I agree with you on the "less stressful to ride the bus than drive around WDW"!
We've always gone in January before - hope it's not crowded for you - it never was for us!

Momto2PrncChrmgs & ClemsonTigger2,
Just wanted to say HI! :wave2: to my St. Louis neighbors!

We're planning on driving down next year, but we're wimps. Can't do it straight thru so we are stopping in Atlanta and spending the next day at the GA Aquarium. Only problem is that takes away from our Disney Time!

I never knew you could see the "Welcome to Walt Disney World" sign from Pop - thanks for posting that earlier! I might have to check it out!

:wave2: Hi St. Louis neighbor Mousebit!
That's our dilemna, too - we hate to take away from Disney time, but we'd just arrive exhausted, I'm sure...

I actually found incredibly easy to maneuver around WDW. Everything is clearly marked and is easy to find. I just like having my own set of wheels. I just don't like the 18 hours drive from Arkansas...

hi, we booked a room in pop for nov and paid a deposit, i rang a few weeks ago to change from room only to room, dining and tickets, i paid in full at the time of booking, after looking up my reservation on the disney web site i can see my new reservation with dining and tickets but also my old reservation of room only, should the room only booking have been cancelled or is it normal to have both bookings, sorry but this is our first time booking direct we normally book through an agent, thanks for any advice susie2

It should have been cancelled. I would call back and make sure they cancelled it. I know last yr when i went they could not transfer my deposit from the room to the package so they may still owe you that refund.

Just back from Pop after having stayed at moderates in the past. We LOVED it!! I didn't fax a room request in advance, I just decided to wing it. When we checked in I asked if we could have a ground floor room (I hate waiting on elevators), then said, "if possible close to the bus stop". We were so pleased with our room. It was 9172 and was on a corner of the Rubiks cube. It was steps from the ice machine and a very short walk to the bus stop/food court. I hadn't paid for a preferred, but it felt like one.

The bus system was great. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes.

The food court was busy, but manageable. No real difference there between Pop and the moderates.

We will be at POP Nov 9-16..........always looking for couples to have a drink with..........if ur at POP during that time look for us at the Pool bar! We also will be heading to Atlantic Dance hall a few nights since Mannequins and Motions are now closed. :cool1:

We had a car in 2007 becuase we flew into Sandford and no ME there. We rarely used it. Once for an early ADR and then got lost on the way back. And one morning my DH took an early drive to go look at the nascar race track. He was worried this year we would be lost with out a car, and I kept reminding him that we never really needed it the year beofre except to get to and from the airport. We had no problems. And for the most part our drive time would've been as long if not longer becuase we had no clue how to get to and from most places easily. We could do it, and I have in the past, but I enjoyed not having to drive, and DD thought the buses were great. She even hope d to stand. What a dork! :rolleyes1

We had a car in 2007 becuase we flew into Sandford and no ME there. We rarely used it. Once for an early ADR and then got lost on the way back. And one morning my DH took an early drive to go look at the nascar race track. He was worried this year we would be lost with out a car, and I kept reminding him that we never really needed it the year beofre except to get to and from the airport. We had no problems. And for the most part our drive time would've been as long if not longer becuase we had no clue how to get to and from most places easily. We could do it, and I have in the past, but I enjoyed not having to drive, and DD thought the buses were great. She even hope d to stand. What a dork! :rolleyes1

I have come to realize I am outnumbered in this whole driving business... :lmao: Maybe I just like the power... or maybe busses drive to slow for my taste... :cool2: So if your there in January and you see a new Toyota Camry a.k.a. "White Lighting" cruising around the POP that would be me

I have come to realize I am outnumbered in this whole driving business... :lmao: Maybe I just like the power... or maybe busses drive to slow for my taste... :cool2: So if your there in January and you see a new Toyota Camry a.k.a. "White Lighting" cruising around the POP that would be me

You are not alone....:thumbsup2

We fly in to MCO and rent a car each time as to us it is freedom to move from park to park easily. Let me add I do ride a scooter due to disability and rather than attempt bus transport it is so much easier to just drive ourselves.

Let me add for anyone who is wheelchair bound or who uses a scooter that Pop is a wonderful resort and our favorite at WDW.

Momto2PrncChrmgs & ClemsonTigger2,
Just wanted to say HI! :wave2: to my St. Louis neighbors!

We're planning on driving down next year, but we're wimps. Can't do it straight thru so we are stopping in Atlanta and spending the next day at the GA Aquarium. Only problem is that takes away from our Disney Time!

Hi!
I'm from St. Louis, too, and we're staying at POP this December... and driving. (Same as you, to save money!) Do you plan to spend the night on the way? Where? We used to live closer, so we always drove, and left the car parked the entire trip - I agree with you on the "less stressful to ride the bus than drive around WDW"!
We've always gone in January before - hope it's not crowded for you - it never was for us!

We are PLANNING (we'll see if this is how it actually happens) to leave around 3-ish when we pick our oldest up from school, driving until dinner time, eating, changing a diaper and getting into PJ's and then me and hubby take turns driving all night. Mapquest says 16 hrs but I'm planning for 20. (Anyone know for sure? We're actually in Jefferson County). Since the drive home is twice as long, we'll stop somewhere (Chatanooga maybe) for the night. Haven't really discussed the way home trip yet to make exact plans! Before our kids were born, we drove and stopped in Atlanta on the way down, then Chatanooga on the way home. Our kids are not good car travelers so this could be a NIGHTMARE! Oh well, it's Disney!! A nightmare at Disney is still better than a good day anywhere else!

pixiedust: Here's hoping for a free dining trip! pixiedust:

We are PLANNING (we'll see if this is how it actually happens) to leave around 3-ish when we pick our oldest up from school, driving until dinner time, eating, changing a diaper and getting into PJ's and then me and hubby take turns driving all night. Mapquest says 16 hrs but I'm planning for 20. (Anyone know for sure? We're actually in Jefferson County). Since the drive home is twice as long, we'll stop somewhere (Chatanooga maybe) for the night. Haven't really discussed the way home trip yet to make exact plans! Before our kids were born, we drove and stopped in Atlanta on the way down, then Chatanooga on the way home. Our kids are not good car travelers so this could be a NIGHTMARE! Oh well, it's Disney!! A nightmare at Disney is still better than a good day anywhere else!

Mapquest told me 16 hours last year and it took me 21...we stopped once for breakfast at a Cracker Barrel in Mobile, AL and of course for gas (since I haven't discovered the secret to infinite fuel supply). We live in Little Rock and it took 21 hours. I guess it all depends on how you drive too. I drove 10 MPH over the speed limit because I didn't know how shady the local cops were in the Southern states. This time I got a sweet radar detector and plan on using that to my advantage. Oh and I drove the entire way and we didn't stop except for the things I told you. I drank one beer when we arrived at WDW and passed out. This time I will have my wife and mother in the car and I don't know if anyone has this problem but my mom is a horrible passenger. Hopefully that helps I know St. Louis is a good 5 hours from us.

We're renting a car from the Car Care Center on property for our first day (Friday and overnight til Saturday). We want to check out the outlet stores and pick up some things from Walmart. It's only costing us $33 from National with a free 2 class upgrade.

i have always rented a car for my trips. my last trip to POP was a short one and the best deal I could get on a rental was like $160 with tax. For 4 days it wasn't worth it so I used ME and then me and my friend used cabs when we needed them. It wasn't too often but it was soooo nice to just "hop in" wherever we needed and be back to the room in minutes! Especially coming back from the Boardwalk area to POP. We spent about $50 on taxi rides and it was so nice and easy. Plus we didn't pay for the car that was just sitting there when we didn't need it or the gas to get us to and from the airport. :)

We're renting a car from the Car Care Center on property for our first day (Friday and overnight til Saturday). We want to check out the outlet stores and pick up some things from Walmart. It's only costing us $33 from National with a free 2 class upgrade.

Disney has their own Rental Car Service?

Alamo and National Car Rental have a rental counter at Car Care Center (by the Magic Kingdom gate) and at the Dolphin. They will send a shuttle to pick you up at your resort and take you back after you return the car. I also know that some other rental companies have counter at some the DTD area hotels. They may also have a shuttle service.

Thank you mana_liz. I looked into it and it will cost me $227 for the week of 12/7-12/13. I'll have to see if I can get a coupon or promo code to bring down the price a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter