The Goat with 5 Legs?

CaptinJackSparrow

The Dark Lord of everything Evil
Ok, some of you may of heard about it. Some of you may have seen it. There is a goat with five legs amongst the mural in the contemp. near the monorail station. I need to know the signifcance behinde the goat. On our most recent trip *NikkiBell* mentioned it to me. I immediatly made it my quest. Once i located the goat, i asked a near by cast member, what it was all about. He told me, "We are not allowed to talk about the goat." So in an effort to draw him into a conversation, I asked him, "why not?" He responded, "I am sorry sir, but I can not discuss it!" He then offered us seats in the pilots cabin of the monorail. *NikkiBell* was thrilled, this only peaked my intrest further.

I know that goats are somtimes consider by certain religons and cultures to be evil or even in some part the devil himself. There are 5 points in a penticle, as well as 5 legs on this goat. I can't help but to let my imagination run wild, due to the answer the CM gave me. I could delve deeper but I would like to know what everyone else's thoughts on this subject are.

I mean have you seen it? Have you heard of it? Do you have a therory behind it?

I always just heard it was a matter of poor planning. The tiles were made somewhere overseas, but put in place piece by piece in the Contemporary. And by error, one goat had an extra leg. :confused3

The goat has 5 legs in keeping with religious beliefs of the societies represented by the mural that nothing man can make is perfect, therefore the artist intentionally includes a mistake so man cannot believe that he has created something perfect. That is only possible by god (or gods). The same holds true for the Morocco pavilion in Epcot. Check out the tiles intentionally cracked by the artisans.

I can't believe that CM said he can not discuss the goat. Well...last October we had to wait in line for the monorail and a super nice CM told us that the artist was a native American woman who was famous for her hidden imperfections. I forget her name but the CM said her signerture is some kind of physical challenge thus representing the imperfect human race.

Planecrazy4dis said:
I can't believe that CM said he can not discuss the goat. Well...last October we had to wait in line for the monorail and a super nice CM told us that the artist was a native American woman who was famous for her hidden imperfections. I forget her name but the CM said her signerture is some kind of physical challenge thus representing the imperfect human race.
The artist was Mary Blair, the legendary Disney artist, designer, color stylist, and Imganineer.

Her inspiration for the the Grand Canyon Concourse Mural came from Native American art.

Yeah...Mary Blair that's it. I tryed to find the conversation we had on our video. But forgot I didn't video the CM telling us the history.

I am a bit worried about the future of the 5 legged goat and all his tile companions. That wonderful Mary Blair mural fit in very well with the original Contempory Resort decortation scheme, which if you will recall was VERY seventies and VERY heavy on the burnt orange. These days, the Contemp has a different look and feel which doesn't really go well with the mural. The current refurb is said to attempting to make the Contemp more modern, sleek and techno looking. I think this is a great idea given the theme of the hotel, but I worry about the fate of the mural, which is not not modern, sleek or techno. How long will it be before the decide that it is out of place and pull it down?

Hopefully, if they do decide it doesn't fit the new motiff, they'll leave it in tact and simply build over it. Or remove it and display is somewhere else.

I just got Cinderella on DVD and there's a special tribute to Mary Blair on the second disk. Walt loved her artwork so much that he tried his best to incorporate her work whenever possible. I also learned that my DW's favorite ride: "It's a small world", was also Mary Blair's baby. They have to preserve the five legged goat mural! :worried: If they trash it, it will be a travesty. :sad2:

Mary Blair never signs her artwork, so as a trademark she makes a mistake. She also designed it's a small world.

The five legged goat is not the only intentional mistake in that mural. You can find at least 3 more perhaps 4.

Have fun hunting! :Pinkbounc

The official theme of Disney's Contemporary Resort is "Art and Architecture", and the mural will always be art :)

that is ironic about the goat and the five legs, and all of satanic rituals. i ahve been wondering, and this seems the place to add this with the satanic theory and all, but have you seen or heard about some disturbing images in Lion king, or the little mermaid, just wondering. i have heard about from several people and was wondering about it

Check out the book The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom of Walt Disney World and you'll find out all kind of details and inside jokes that are in the many details all over all the Disney parks. It's a great book that gives you a Imagineer's perspective. By the time I finished reading it I couldn't wait to get to the park!

Saxsoon said:
but have you seen or heard about some disturbing images in Lion king, or the little mermaid, just wondering. i have heard about from several people and was wondering about it

Try www.snopes.com. Almost none of what you have heard is true.

Planecrazy4dis said:
I can't believe that CM said he can not discuss the goat. [...]
I doubt that we're talking official Disney policy here. I bet that it's just a crafty CM who realizes that "We can't discuss that" is a lot more interesting - and mysterious - than the real answer.

Thank you for clearing that up, but i did hear about the rescuer's one too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter