The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Hmm--I thought it was just that 120 minutes had passed since your last one was booked OR since park opening (i.e., you book at 7, you're available for G+ number 2 at 11)
I am wondering how this would work if someone starts at Epcot and hops to another park. For example, if I book a SDD at 7 am for 4 pm, when does my 2 hr period stop? Is it based on when your reserved park opens? So if Epcot is opening at 11 I therefore can’t book another LL and start building my stack until 1?

I am wondering how this would work if someone starts at Epcot and hops to another park. For example, if I book a SDD at 7 am for 4 pm, when does my 2 hr period stop? Is it based on when your reserved park opens? So if Epcot is opening at 11 I therefore can’t book another LL and start building my stack until 1?
I asked someone who started in Epcot but made their first G+ in HS as they were going to hop over. They said they could make their second reservation 2 hours after HS opened at 11 am (where their first G+ was) not at 12 pm which was 2 hours after Epcot opened (where their park reservation was.)

how donI find post 257? 🤔

Easier to do on a desktop computer.

HS to MK park hopping with Genie+ today Saturday Oct 24th

so the basic plan then how it played out.

we have done everything we wanted 2-3 times this week without Genie EXCEPT slinky dog and splash. So the idea was to early entry HS pick up a genie plus for Slinky then triple stack for a 2pm MK arrival.

It worked. I’ll give the final results then a few tips from my experience. Not a pro, just my first time using it but maybe it will be helpful.

7am: SD booked for 1043am
8:15- arrive to park
8:30-910: MMRR then MFSR
9:10-11:00 Plenty of time left for a quick toy story
and saucers. Frozen song along.
11:00- book 1:35pm splash mountain
(considered a noon toy story but
wanted to let kids rest)
11:15 Slinky dog
11:16 book splash at 1:35pm (later changed
to 2pm, must have gone down)
11:30 Hotel bus: worst wait of the day by far
1:16. Book Jungle cruise (daughter request

2pm arrive at MK

here I will just list the LL I got and what they changed to after getting the rides

LL0: Slinky

A1: splash 2pm
B1: thunder mountain 2:20pm
C1: Jungle Cruise 2:50pm

A2:Pirates of Car 3:25
B2: Peter Pan 5pm (had to refresh 5 times to get it here)
C2: Pooh 4pm

A3: Ariel 4:30
B3: Haunted Mansion 7pm
C3: Mad Tea 4:25

A4: Buzz at 815
C4: small world (we also worked small world in but can’t remember which ride I booked it after, did it right before Pan. Something seems slightly off in the transition order actually but very close to how it went down.)

This was the busiest day yet. Everyone of the rides was showing 60+ between 2-5pm when we rode, a few looked to be overestimated but some looked like underestimates. Really long and slow lines.

From 530ish (requested West wing so got delayed-huge mistake imo)-815 we ate at BOG and watched enchantment. I had a dilemma here, I couldn’t book things far enough out about because all except for Haunted Mansion were within 20-40min away and we were eating. Only had stuff like Barnstormer left to get and they just weren’t going to book up in advance. To keep the triple stack LL going I just booked and then canceled and rebooked later. I ended up pushing haunted mansion back until 9pm on purpose. We could have easily risen every G+ Via the triple stack but ended up shopping after eating, rode Mine train and called it the end of the trip.

Frankly it worked amazingly well and really made an excellent last day. However it wouldn’t work as well in HS because they just don’t have enough rides so they get booked pretty far out early on. Might be possible though if you were at AK and triple stacked for a jump to HS, but I doubt it. However it works so well jumping to MK it turns MK into a 1 or at MOST 1.5 day park. If one rope dropped FOP and paid ROTR and for MMR and evening rode Seven Dwarves it might be possible to complete all three parks (Genie+ and ILL rides only) in a single day, assuming smooth transportation especially once they allow hopping prior to 2pm. A stretch but I think it may be possible.

honestly if you add this to a 10 day trip I really don’t think the parks can sustain you for that long at this pace. Will either have to underutilize Genie+ or ride everything 5-10 times. Will edit later with my tips from experience.

I asked someone who started in Epcot but made their first G+ in HS as they were going to hop over. They said they could make their second reservation 2 hours after HS opened at 11 am (where their first G+ was) not at 12 pm which was 2 hours after Epcot opened (where their park reservation was.)
Thank you! We may do a low key Epcot morning and then hop to studios and try to have a stack built for the afternoon—we are thinking of a last minute trip in 3 weeks!

Yes. Honestly, with every fiber of my Disney being I want to not like G+, nor to give Cheapek more of my hard earned $$$. However…if I can master the double (aka: cliff hanger) hop stack then maybe, just maybe, I can get something more useful out of G+ than FP+ used to get us for “free”.

What we used effectively with FP+ was doing one park rope drop and booking FP+ for late day in a hop to park, like Epcot. I can envision a double/cliff hanger hop stack whereby we book a 1:00ish return window in the morning RD park, then at 11am book LL2 for after 2pm in the hop park, then at 1:00 book LL3 in the hop park before tapping into LL1. For instance, RD HS with a 1:00 G+LL for RnR. Hopefully knock a bunch out standby in HS (don’t care about wasting G+ on Slinky, or ILL$ on RotR or MMRR, they aren’t that great for us) while securing LL2 and LL3, then use LL1 before we get out of HS. Take a break back at the hotel (we are big fans of that). Then hop to Epcot with Soarin and Test Track secured via LL2 and LL3, with another ride (say Spaceship Earth) booked via LL1 after we tap into RnR. That would theoretically allow us to hop to Epcot with 3 rides secured (including both Soarin and TT, which you couldn’t do with tiering under FP+), and the potential to additionally work the stacks for more at Epcot (if anything is available). That would be getting something more for my $15.98pp than we could achieve under FP+. That’s all dependent upon what available return time are, but it’s got potential!

Any flaws in that cliff hanger hop stack??:crazy:
My brain has been stir fried already. Maybe stir fry stacking is a better name

To be clear, Slinky is not an Individual LL selection, it is one of the attractions available through Genie+.

The LL slots for Slinky have been going faster than any other attraction at any of the parks and eventually “sell out”.

Reports seem to be that the LL waits have been minimal, except when ride breakdowns cause the LL to back up.

Yes, sorry. My brain got so used to typing that it just slipped in there. But that is the exact kind of info I was looking for. I’ve for sure been in express lanes at parks where it wasn’t very express at all and that’s one thing that Disney had (and still has) over competitors is the booking windows, while complicating things, are keeping all 50000 people from trying to ride the same thing at once.

I may be confused but I don't think this is how it will work. You can only have one G+ attraction at a time, or add new ones if the first is greater than 120min away. In the example above you would be stopped at A2 because you can only add one at a time unless one is far out. and you will at this moment in time have an existing B1 reservation. unless your B1 reservation is greater than 120 minutes from A2, you wont be able to add C1 as you would move onto B2 instead. If your B2 is further out then you could book C1. make sense? Of course if you add in ILL$ then you woul dhave more total combines LL, but Genie+ only allows you to keep 2 LL rt if they are 2 hours apart.
Agreed. I think the key to getting to C (the elusive triple stack) is securing the three stacks (A1, B1, and C1) BEFORE you tap in for A1.

Most reports I’ve read say the LL lines move quickly (5-10 minutes or walk on). I’ve only read a few that said they waited very long but it’s still early.
At 5-10 minutes…. I’ll pay double (nobody tell Bob).
I didn’t want to assume it was like FP returns in this strange new (Disney) world we’re in.

For those considering stacking for a late arrival or for PHing, remember that the stacking more than 2 G+ reservation discussions are academic and for planning purposes. In practice, you may find that return times may or not be far enough out to stack more than 2 reservations at a time. And you'd probably prefer it not to be since that would mean it is pretty crowded.

My daughter was at MK yesterday and had a G+ in the AM and used it. She wanted to start stacking for a late afternoon/early evening return. There were no times slots yet available, since the return times were too soon. JC, PP and HM tend to have the longest return time windows these days, but they may not be available yet. By the time you can make one, you'll have to wait two hours before making another (assuming you haven't tapped into the first). By the time she scheduled her JC G+ which had the furthest return time, it was already 3PM. So she had to wait until 5 to make her next. She didn't want to wait until 7 to make a third, so she started tapping in and then just replacing each of her two throughout the night. Two is plenty to use, especially if the return windows are relatively short. And they';; typically get shorter as the day goes on. You would obviously then want to concentrate on those that disappear soonest.

Having a third G+ concurrent reservation may be beneficial for a HS late arrival with more rides having later return times, but I'm not sure its necessary at MK, AK or Epcot. At least not based on the crowd levels we saw this week. It might work better with high crowds and longer return times, but for now just getting even 2 should be enough.

For those considering stacking for a late arrival or for PHing, remember that the stacking more than 2 G+ reservation discussions are academic and for planning purposes. In practice, you may find that return times may or not be far enough out to stack more than 2 reservations at a time. And you'd probably prefer it not to be since that would mean it is pretty crowded.

My daughter was at MK yesterday and had a G+ in the AM and used it. She wanted to start stacking for a late afternoon/early evening return. There were no times slots yet available, since the return times were too soon. JC, PP and HM tend to have the longest return time windows these days, but they may not be available yet. By the time you can make one, you'll have to wait two hours before making another (assuming you haven't tapped into the first). By the time she scheduled her JC G+ which had the furthest return time, it was already 3PM. So she had to wait until 5 to make her next. She didn't want to wait until 7 to make a third, so she started tapping in and then just replacing each of her two throughout the night. Two is plenty to use, especially if the return windows are relatively short. And they';; typically get shorter as the day goes on. You would obviously then want to concentrate on those that disappear soonest.

Having a third G+ concurrent reservation may be beneficial for a HS late arrival with more rides having later return times, but I'm not sure its necessary at MK, AK or Epcot. At least not based on the crowd levels we saw this week. It might work better with high crowds and longer return times, but for now just getting even 2 should be enough.
Do you know how she set up her 1st 2 to stack? Time wise?

Stacking I think is more difficult at your first park. Park hopping and stacking is better since it’ll only show you after 2 pm times for your second park starting at 7 am. You enter it into your genie plans and when you go to that park on the tip board times for after 2 pm will populate.

Stacking I think is more difficult at your first park. Park hopping and stacking is better since it’ll only show you after 2 pm times for your second park starting at 7 am. You enter it into your genie plans and when you go to that park on the tip board times for after 2 pm will populate.
If someone is just looking at going later in the afternoon/evening then the timing could be tricky though. If they're only being offered times in the 2:00-5:00 window then stacking for the 2nd park won't be of much use. If someone is wanting to go right at 2:00 then yes, that could work well.

Personally, unless the first park doesn't give much/any advantage using G+ (looking at you AK) then I'd prefer to just keep using them early and often instead of waiting to stack.

Another poster confirmed they did exactly what he’s posting. I was confused at first too.

At 7 am book SDD for 10:45 am

at 11 am book splash for 2 pm

ride SDD at 11:15 am

11:16 am - once tapped into SDD book BTMRR for 2:30 pm

have lunch/ride standby

1 pm make HM for 3 pm

tap into splash at 2 pm

2:01 pm book another ride at MK for after 3 pm

Then you keep rolling them

I was able to do some experimenting with Genie+ yesterday when my daughter who lives in the Orlando area and is a Disney CM went to DHS and bought Genie+ largely to see how it worked.

She left the park after lunch, so I did kind of a virtual hop from DHS to MK. First I tried to make a LL reservation at Soarin and, as others have reported, the system offered a time of 2-3 even though the general return time was earlier than that. There was a message that the return time was adjusted because of hopping.

My question that is relevant to this discussion is what kind of time the system offers if you try to make a second reservation in the second park if the normal return time is still before 2. Will it offer 2-3 or 3-4 or something else?

BTW, after booking the Soarin LL I cancelled it and focused on MK. Starting at 12:21 PM (after my daughter had used LL 3 times at DHS) I for a LL for JC at 3:15. Then at 2:21 I got BTMRR for 2:55. I proceeded to cancel each reservation about 20 minutes after the start of the return time and then book a replacement. I tried to simulate a reasonable tour of the Adventureland/ Frontierland side of the park, allowing time to move from one attraction to the next and getting through the LL and riding. Ending with a 6:10 return at HM, I was able to get LL reservations for JC, BTMRR, Splash, POC, IASW, and HM. I figured that I could have done those 6 rides, eaten at Pinocchio’s, and finished up the rides by 7 PM, in time to get a spot for the fireworks.

To be fair, there was some rain yesterday afternoon and that might have reduced the crowds and made LL more available with shorter returns than other days. But, it was still good practice to see how the system can work.

Last edited:
Thanks for this!!

I have a monster group of 15 + 1 under 2. Messing with the app it seems I can only set plans / reservations for 12 at a time. Am I correct on this? If so, I'll have to recruit a copilot and split our group which means we may not all ride at the same time. Such is life with a group my size I know.

Any insight or idea is welcomed.
I traveled with 10 adults a year ago, trust me, split the ADRs and meet up after you eat. It was a nice little break from one another and so much easier. Also just because you have an adr for 15 at 6pm doesn’t mean you won’t be waiting for ages for it. Have a great vacation!

I encourage every one of you who is in the parks to stop by GR and tell them you want more options than "First Available".

If it is ...let's say....11:30 and you want to take a lunch break outside the park or go to the resort pool for a couple of hours or give your toddler a nap......you have no option right now to pick any later LL slots.

It may show you lots of rides and the one you want may keep tossing 12:30 to you......but that may be too quick of a turnaround for you to make it work.

If there is a 12:30 seat open, then we know that 12:45, 1pm, 1:15 and 1:30 are also open.

Why can't they offer those to us as an option?

Granted it may not be the most efficient touring plan, but it meets your needs during that time of the day.

It will not cost them a thing to make the change......they just have to change the program a bit.

So far I have been in the parks for several days and Genie+/LL is a poor substitute for FP+

I encourage every one of you who is in the parks to stop by GR and tell them you want more options than "First Available".

If it is ...let's say....11:30 and you want to take a lunch break outside the park or go to the resort pool for a couple of hours or give your toddler a nap......you have no option right now to pick any later LL slots.

It may show you lots of rides and the one you want may keep tossing 12:30 to you......but that may be too quick of a turnaround for you to make it work.

If there is a 12:30 seat open, then we know that 12:45, 1pm, 1:15 and 1:30 are also open.

Why can't they offer those to us as an option?

Granted it may not be the most efficient touring plan, but it meets your needs during that time of the day.

It will not cost them a thing to make the change......they just have to change the program a bit.

So far I have been in the parks for several days and Genie+/LL is a poor substitute for FP+
I believe the downside is that it may make it more difficult for Disney to manage the windows, especially for larger parties. In the FP+ days, parties of 2 vs 10 could get vastly different options. I believe because Disney allotted a certain amount of guests at a time. With next available, Disney can display the next available time slot regardless of how many people are in your party. It may push the next guest time slot a little further down, but everyone is treated the same way. In essence, there are no real windows for Disney to manage, its just one large window all day. As times fill up, they just move the return time back. More people with larger parties just pushes the time back more quickly, but the same available return time will show regardless if you have 1 or 15 in your party.

Just trying to make sure I understand. Will this possible scenario work for a 9am park opening?

7am - Book G+ for Ride A (11:15am-12:15pm)
11am - Book G+ for Ride B (11:30am - 12:30pm)
11:15am - Use Ride A G+ (can I now book another G+ or do I need to use my Ride B G+ first?) If I use my Ride B G+ before I use my Ride A G+, can I immediately book another?

Ooh, that’s a nice fact to keep in mind. If you’re doing Epcot it’s beneficial to hop to HS afterwards then, grab your first Epcot FP (SDD) right at 7, then book your first epcot LL at 11 which coincidentally is when epcot opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter