The future is cabins (or bungalows) . . . get used to it.

It almost makes you really appreciate RIV, no bungalows/cabins.

Definitely RIV not having bungalows or cabins is a big plus.

Personally I feel that DVC is screwing over their members by having so many points in bungalows and cabins that aren't being used by the people that buy those points. It puts huge stress on the entire system. Just wait till resale owners at REFL can't trade out of REFL, getting studios there will be a nightmare.

Just a curiosity from the above statement.
Now with Riviera and assumed with Reflections, resale will not be able to trade into the original DVC rooms.

However, they can still rent out their points. One would think the next step for point rental companies might be points trading with a little cash incentive or some sort of ratio of trading riviera points to say Poly points.

For example, lets say you bought 200 riviera resale points. You couldn't trade into Poly with those. That doesn't mean that someone with poly points won't want to trade to Riviera in the system obviously. So if incentivized to trade outside the system it could be managed. Lets say Riviera wants into poly. Maybe they offer 150 riviera points, for 100 poly points out of system. I bit hokey, but in theory it could be done by a third party.

Just a curiosity from the above statement.
Now with Riviera and assumed with Reflections, resale will not be able to trade into the original DVC rooms.

However, they can still rent out their points. One would think the next step for point rental companies might be points trading with a little cash incentive or some sort of ratio of trading riviera points to say Poly points.

For example, lets say you bought 200 riviera resale points. You couldn't trade into Poly with those. That doesn't mean that someone with poly points won't want to trade to Riviera in the system obviously. So if incentivized to trade outside the system it could be managed. Lets say Riviera wants into poly. Maybe they offer 150 riviera points, for 100 poly points out of system. I bit hokey, but in theory it could be done by a third party.

It would still be the respectivd owners having to book the other persons vacation.The broker could put the people together, but it wouldnt be any different than a normal renter, other than paying in points.

The problem I see with this is that I’d you are the person whose vacation is second, you risk your points being used and then something happening and the other owner can’t fulfill your trip.

Plus, this means as a resale owner, you’d be pretty much a renter except when staying at that resort, I think more likely, those buying on resale of RIV will be people who already own other points or who really just want to stay there,

I kind of disagree with this - at least the first part. Disney does not give a **** if the Bora Bora Bungalows ever get used by DVC members. In fact, that DON'T want them used by DVC members, that way they can rent them out for cash, have the owners pay the maintenance- meaning 100% profit (well, not technically since they dont get all the breakage income) - oh, and by the way, Disney doesn't own the bungalows - Poly owners do.

Disney built the Bungalows. 20 of them. What could they have cost, a mil a piece to build? Thats 20 Million. 1,000,000 points for the bungalows at 160 per point - build them for 20 million, sell them for 160 million!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and then rent them out when they do not even own them!

It is a SCAM! Totally risk free lodging development.

I am not saying a law should exist or not, that is not the point here. But, if there was some law that required Disney to have sold the bungalows separately from the Studios, there would in no way be 20 of them. There might be 4. Because if they had to have sold them as their own entity, they would have never been able to sell a million points for those things alone. Never say never? I'm saying NEVER! :)

ETA:
You are right on when it comes to the rest, they are the future - but because they can sell the things and no one has to use them.
Totally agree except I think it cost them far less than a million to build the bungalows. We built a house recently and I would estimate they paid no more than $300000 per bungalow. I suspect that their profit margins are through the roof. Fair play to them on profits, but I am not a fan of the point heavy bungalows either.

Totally agree except I think it cost them far less than a million to build the bungalows. We built a house recently and I would estimate they paid no more than $300000 per bungalow. I suspect that their profit margins are through the roof. Fair play to them on profits, but I am not a fan of the point heavy bungalows either.

I'm sure. There is no way they were a mil a piece. In places with a High Cost of Living $300 per square foot is a fair rule of thumb. Even if you double that because they are built over the water it still wouldn't reach a million dollars a piece. That's how much money they made off of those things!

I agree they made a good profit, but these are over water, granted it would cost less when building 20 of them than just 1. I think they cost more than $300,000 to build, but well under a million

Last edited:
If I were, (not that I ever will again) looking to buy into DVC, I would not look at a resort that had units such as these. But I am wondering if RIV will be the last resort without these since they are pretty much 100% pure profit for Disney.

If I were, (not that I ever will again) looking to buy into DVC, I would not look at a resort that had units such as these. But I am wondering if RIV will be the last resort without these since they are pretty much 100% pure profit for Disney.
Actually CCV could handle a modest point reallocation to somewhere around (or just below) lake view points at BLT for all units (sans Cabins) and that would make the cabins more affordable. I believe CCV was given the cabins to increase the points to be sold (since they were tied to BRV point charts) and they fully intend those lake view point charts (or something around there, which is still less points per night than DRR and likely where Reflections will be). The resort can handle this absorption and make the cabins in the realm of the treehouses are SSR (which I think is too little for the differences between them). Now the issue is can DVC allocate points across room types that’s another topic and they seemed to think yes but the 2020 point charts did get walked back so 2021 will give more information.

As for PVB I think they thought it was unique and different and thought demand would be there (and also wanted more points to sell). I think this is why you saw the less points per unit at CCV but increased number because they knew demand wasn’t there. Booking patterns suggest CCV cabins is more popular that the Bungalows (especially evident during the fall frenzy).

I do understand why someone at Poly would be frustrated with it being added after the resort was sold.

When I think about Cabins on the lake or the Bungalows over the lake these are 100% premium settings for rooms. These are the types of rooms that people travel 2000+ miles for just the room and nothing else. Should DVC just be standard hotel rooms with Disney theming?

I also do not see a difference between these and the Grand Villas which are also extremely expensive and not something used except by a tiny little portion of the DVC members and could be served by simply having multiple studios/1brs connected. Studio - 1BR - Studio = Grand Villa

Easiest solution is to not buy at these resorts. One other things RIV has its own issue and its the fact they have a Den w/ Bathroom that costs more than studios elsewhere. Oh forgot that den has a fold down bed in the wall. (I mean cool but those rooms should be the cheapest on property for DVC).

I kind of disagree with this - at least the first part. Disney does not give a **** if the Bora Bora Bungalows ever get used by DVC members. In fact, that DON'T want them used by DVC members, that way they can rent them out for cash, have the owners pay the maintenance- meaning 100% profit (well, not technically since they dont get all the breakage income) - oh, and by the way, Disney doesn't own the bungalows - Poly owners do.

Disney built the Bungalows. 20 of them. What could they have cost, a mil a piece to build? Thats 20 Million. 1,000,000 points for the bungalows at 160 per point - build them for 20 million, sell them for 160 million!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and then rent them out when they do not even own them!

It is a SCAM! Totally risk free lodging development.

I am not saying a law should exist or not, that is not the point here. But, if there was some law that required Disney to have sold the bungalows separately from the Studios, there would in no way be 20 of them. There might be 4. Because if they had to have sold them as their own entity, they would have never been able to sell a million points for those things alone. Never say never? I'm saying NEVER! :)

ETA:
You are right on when it comes to the rest, they are the future - but because they can sell the things and no one has to use them.

I agree with most of your post, apart from the $1m a piece bit. I’d be surprised if the construction cost was $250000.

I agree with most of your post, apart from the $1m a piece bit. I’d be surprised if the construction cost was $250000.
Agreed. More or less. 1 mil was WAY high to illustrate the point. 250 is a much more realistic estimate. Even including the walkways and everything I'm sure they were under 500k

........(snip)......I also do not see a difference between these and the Grand Villas which are also extremely expensive and not something used except by a tiny little portion of the DVC members and could be served by simply having multiple studios/1brs connected. Studio - 1BR - Studio = Grand Villa...........................

I think the issue is the NUMBER of the bungalows and the percentage of the total resort points they are allocated If there were only 6 or 7 (like most resorts have for Grand Villas), it wouldn't be a problem. Granted, there are more GVs than that at OKW, AKV & SSR, but those resorts also have a better mix of studios, 1 & 2 bedroom villas and the GV cost is a LOT less than the bungalows.

I bet every time a DVC VP looks at a THV, they feel a pain in their heart thinking how many more points they could have charged for those.

Disney is also renting out DVC villas that ARE reserved and putting the reserved guests into a hotel room. They can get up to $700 a night for a dvc villa as opposed to $70 a night from a DVC member. It happened to us. We were booked out 11 months in advance, we got there and they tried to put us in a hotel room. We refused the hotel room, left, lost our whole vacation, and returned home. This was in October during the October 50th celebration where they were booked solid. Why wouldn't they do this, they can make more money. The DVC members have already paid their $ for the contract. Now disney has the right to bump members anywhere they want and rent the villas to make more money. It is a breach of contract and illegal, but hey - it's Disney they can do what they want!

Disney is also renting out DVC villas that ARE reserved and putting the reserved guests into a hotel room. They can get up to $700 a night for a dvc villa as opposed to $70 a night from a DVC member. It happened to us. We were booked out 11 months in advance, we got there and they tried to put us in a hotel room. We refused the hotel room, left, lost our whole vacation, and returned home. This was in October during the October 50th celebration where they were booked solid. Why wouldn't they do this, they can make more money. The DVC members have already paid their $ for the contract. Now disney has the right to bump members anywhere they want and rent the villas to make more money. It is a breach of contract and illegal, but hey - it's Disney they can do what they want!
If DVC units are booked full and a room has to be pulled out of inventory then they really have no choice but to put you in a hotel room. Was this at AK? They took several rooms out of commission for unexpected repairs around that time.

What resort and room sized had you booked? Also, what resort and room size room did the offer you? Did they offer you any other compensation such as resort credit or dinners or genie+?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter