The First $200+/night Campsite in Fort History

Room rates ....
Parking fees ....
Annual Passes .....
Dining Plan .....
Reusable shopping bags ....

Disney was printing money yesterday. You know another ticket increase is coming soon too.

Wow.

Bama Ed

Yep....and more quietly, I expect food/drink pricing will follow too.

I’m paying $143/by for a tent loop over Easter 2020. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that. We just spent 2 nights at Coronado Springs in a preferred room for $163/nt!!!!! And no one makes my bed at the Fort!

Room rates ....
Parking fees ....
Annual Passes .....
Dining Plan .....
Reusable shopping bags ....

Disney was printing money yesterday. You know another ticket increase is coming soon too.

Wow.

Bama Ed
Yeah, it is starting to look more and more like a Christmas 2020 trip isn't in the cards for us. The strategy would have been like previous years where we get APs and take April vacation at Bonnet Creek and then Christmas at the Fort, plus a bonus trip here or there for a RunDisney even if we can slide one in to our schedules. But with AP prices going to a crazy level along with the site rate hike, I just don't know if I see us doing it.

I go camping for a week and this is what i come back to, lol. I'll book the dis meet for next year , and then i might be done. Too many people have lots of deep pockets, i can't really blame disney for wanting to lesson that load. Unfortunately, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and we the middle class spend on disney. Im grateful that i will get to go ( and at least show my daughter a magical time) and can sort of afford it. Many can't.

I’m paying $143/by for a tent loop over Easter 2020. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that. We just spent 2 nights at Coronado Springs in a preferred room for $163/nt!!!!! And no one makes my bed at the Fort!

But Allie,

Star Wars
Star Wars/DHS
Star Wars/Millenium Falcon
Star Wars/6am Rope Drop

:darth: :chewy: :smickey:

This was a topic of discussion awhile back. I thought we all agreed that what ever the price the mouse was going to get it since we all have $500K rigs and can easily afford this. However, I am digging the north of $200/ night number. I am would prefer to see it at around $300/ night personally I kid. I kid. Unfortunately $300/night would still be a value compared to the Deluxe resorts on the seven seas lagoon. I hate to say it but it sounds like we are getting priced out and I wonder if this is part of a larger longer term plan. Disney is capitalizing on the new wave of campers in which the RV industry as a whole has been seeing over the last couple of years. My other more sinister thought to make the Fort less appealing which in turn will force either a downsizing or possible complete closing all together. I have said in the past the Fort is on prime for DVC which is a huge money maker for Disney. The infrastructure is in place. Now there is another DVC being built right next door. It might be only a matter of time before there is a "need" for more space.

This was a topic of discussion awhile back. I thought we all agreed that what ever the price the mouse was going to get it since we all have $500K rigs and can easily afford this. However, I am digging the north of $200/ night number. I am would prefer to see it at around $300/ night personally I kid. I kid. Unfortunately $300/night would still be a value compared to the Deluxe resorts on the seven seas lagoon. I hate to say it but it sounds like we are getting priced out and I wonder if this is part of a larger longer term plan. Disney is capitalizing on the new wave of campers in which the RV industry as a whole has been seeing over the last couple of years. My other more sinister thought to make the Fort less appealing which in turn will force either a downsizing or possible complete closing all together. I have said in the past the Fort is on prime for DVC which is a huge money maker for Disney. The infrastructure is in place. Now there is another DVC being built right next door. It might be only a matter of time before there is a "need" for more space.

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I had the same thought about the eventual pushing out of campsites in favor of nightly rates that are exponentially higher per square foot of land. But good point to keep in mind about the price per night still being a decent value as a waterfront MK resort.

I posted this in another thread regarding the rising prices. It applies here too ....

True of course but you're not considering the question of magnitude (price increases) and its compound effect.

Here is some historical data (I'm a numbers guy):

One Day Ticket
=============
In 2000: $46 plus tax
That 2000 price in 2019 with inflation: $70
Real 2019 Price: $109-159

4-Day Park Hopper Ticket (same parks we have now)
====================================
In 2000: $176 plus tax
That 2000 price in 2019 with inflation: $268
Real 2019 Price: $480-610

Fort Wilderness Most Expensive Campsite at Christmas
=====================================
In 2009: $116 plus tax (Premium)
That 2009 price in 2019 with inflation: $140
Real 2020 Price: $220 Premium Meadow (was plain Premium in 2009).

Prices have risen much quickly over the last decade or two far outpacing inflation and for sure outpacing real (after inflation) wage growth. At the same time Disney has been giving us less magic and worse customer service. And if you compound those big price increases year after year, you approach where we are now.

Disney used to enjoy a sterling reputation for its customer service and a premium brand for its products. It's been accelerating downhill (referred to in Disney-speak as "declining by degrees") and is trending toward the likes of Comcast and dear departed Enron.

I'm committed to 2020 but the recent actions are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Heck in 2022 I might go some place cheaper like London again. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

PS - oh and back in 2009 during the Value periods (cheapest times of the year) a Premium campsite was $72 a night. :rotfl2:

I posted this in another thread regarding the rising prices. It applies here too ....

True of course but you're not considering the question of magnitude (price increases) and its compound effect.

Here is some historical data (I'm a numbers guy):

One Day Ticket
=============
In 2000: $46 plus tax
That 2000 price in 2019 with inflation: $70
Real 2019 Price: $109-159

4-Day Park Hopper Ticket (same parks we have now)
====================================
In 2000: $176 plus tax
That 2000 price in 2019 with inflation: $268
Real 2019 Price: $480-610

Fort Wilderness Most Expensive Campsite at Christmas
=====================================
In 2009: $116 plus tax (Premium)
That 2009 price in 2019 with inflation: $140
Real 2020 Price: $220 Premium Meadow (was plain Premium in 2009).

Prices have risen much quickly over the last decade or two far outpacing inflation and for sure outpacing real (after inflation) wage growth. At the same time Disney has been giving us less magic and worse customer service. And if you compound those big price increases year after year, you approach where we are now.

Disney used to enjoy a sterling reputation for its customer service and a premium brand for its products. It's been accelerating downhill (referred to in Disney-speak as "declining by degrees") and is trending toward the likes of Comcast and dear departed Enron.

I'm committed to 2020 but the recent actions are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Heck in 2022 I might go some place cheaper like London again. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

PS - oh and back in 2009 during the Value periods (cheapest times of the year) a Premium campsite was $72 a night. :rotfl2:

Wow, interesting analysis, BamaEd...leaves me shaking my head. We're in the middle of a one year Disney hiatus and are about to take a two week trip to Hawaii...which is going to end up about the same or cheaper for us than a Disney trip. Apples and Oranges, I know, but there are a lot of us out there that are/will be spreading our vacation dollars around elsewhere. We all agree that we do miss WDW and are looking forward to going back, but I'm thinking the days of multiple trips per year might be behind us. High school football plays into that too, though...and puts a damper on our fall camping in New England as well...but the teenage years will be gone in the blink of an eye so I'm happy to skip some travel and embrace my role as football mom for a few years!

which is High school football plays into that too, though...and puts a damper on our fall camping in New England as well...but the teenage years will be gone in the blink of an eye so I'm happy to skip some travel and embrace my role as football mom for a few years!

Wow KristinU, has your Dear Son [DS] grown up that much? I remember his iconic photo.

It feels like it was only yesterday he was grabbing worms at the Fort. [photo you posted from many years ago]

2012-04-06_18-02-32_877.jpg

Enjoy these years. My kids were in the HS Marching Band. We worked the Concession Stands for nearly a decade getting all three through for their trips (including all marching at WDW). High School years go fast - I saw a lot of closeups to deep oil fryers for chicken fingers and french fries during those years. Being on the sports team side might be better for you though. Good luck being parents of the players - those years are a blur.

Enjoy it all.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Still one of my all time favorites, @bama_ed !

I love to hear advice from BTDT parents, it really helps keep all of the frustrating times in perspective. These teen years aren't for the faint of heart! But that transition to adulthood happens so quickly, I can't believe his freshman year is over already. My favorite part are the times where he's not rolling his eyes at me and picks me up and carries me around. He's way bigger than me now (which I guess isn't too big of a feat given that I'm only 5'1" Hahahaha!)

Let's see if I can get a good current pic to share...here's one where he's all gussied up for a school dance earlier this year:

Kristen,

Ed has far more experience than I do. I have a 21 year old that still thinks everything we say is wrong. It's funny, he is the most behaved, well spoken and respectful around others. Ed has met him several times, but at home... He asks a simple question, we answer and then listen to 5 minutes of why our answer is wrong... Why did you ask then? :confused3

j

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I had the same thought about the eventual pushing out of campsites in favor of nightly rates that are exponentially higher per square foot of land. But good point to keep in mind about the price per night still being a decent value as a waterfront MK resort.
this is exactly what my DH just hypothesized...

Kristin, he sure has grown up .... and Up ..... and UP!

My advice having three now 20-26yo is to keep the lines of communication open, remember however big/old/smart they get that they still need you parents as role models, and to frequently tell them you love them. Don't be afraid to say it in public, in front of their friends, or between the two of you. And some times they need tough love but keep doing the prior three things at the same time.

Keeping this Fort related,

By the time your son hits our ages, I think the Fort will still be there but at what cost? Disney is not raising the prices to attempt crowd control either (a theory floating around the DIS). I hope my kids have many memories not just from the parks but all the times at the Fort.

Bama Ed

PS - and Teamubr, give it a few years and then when they are out on their own and making life decisions, suddenly you're going to sound a lot smarter than you do now. So give it time. But your DS has been a nice young man every time I've ever been around him so I think you're being just a wee bit harsh. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Kristin, he sure has grown up .... and Up ..... and UP!

My advice having three now 20-26yo is to keep the lines of communication open, remember however big/old/smart they get that they still need you parents as role models, and to frequently tell them you love them. Don't be afraid to say it in public, in front of their friends, or between the two of you. And some times they need tough love but keep doing the prior three things at the same time.

Keeping this Fort related,

By the time your son hits our ages, I think the Fort will still be there but at what cost? Disney is not raising the prices to attempt crowd control either (a theory floating around the DIS). I hope my kids have many memories not just from the parks but all the times at the Fort.

Bama Ed

PS - and Teamubr, give it a few years and then when they are out on their own and making life decisions, suddenly you're going to sound a lot smarter than you do now. So give it time. But your DS has been a nice young man every time I've ever been around him so I think you're being just a wee bit harsh. :rolleyes:

Right, if that were the case, they would quit building more and more resorts to house more and more folks.

Also- good tip on telling your kids you love them :)

2020 rates are out this morning and all I can say is WOW! :crazy2:

I went looking at a few dates for 2020 and compared them to 2019.

The Premium sites for the week Christmas-New Year's 2020 are $203/night plus tax in 2020 and that's a 10.3% increase over 2019 same period. Last year if you INCLUDED taxes you would have exceeded $200 but this is now the list price (rack rate).

Anybody want to guess why?

giphy.gif

Sticking with Premium, spring 2020 has a greatly simplified rate calendar. From March 5 forward for the next 47 days (!) the rate is $195 plus tax (which we had heard previously but the fact that it's fixed for 47 days is the new part). Previously those ultra rates were only for a two week period around prime spring break in March and Easter weekend in April. Now Disney has just "filled in" those dates in between with the ultra high rates. No weekday relief - straight pricing.

Disney had the opportunity to take advantage of the Star Wars hype and has jacked the rates up for 2020. They saw the chance and they took it. Gutsy move, guys.

Gentlemen, I salute you.

giphy.gif

Bama Ed

PS - oh and did you see the blip about AP prices getting "substantially "jacked up overnight? I'm sure it's just coincidence, huh....

PPS - here is the Premium rate calendar for Nov-Dec 2020

View attachment 409907
We just came back from a great stay at the Fort but this greed from Disney has turned us off completely.

We won't be back for a looooooong time, if ever. It would probably take having grandchildren to make us consider going back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter