The Final Frontier (An Alaska Trip Report - UPDATED 4/25)

Ambitious!

We always try and pack in a lot. Based on the assumption that we may not be back for a long time.

That WAS a blessing for sure. Glad that worked out!

Thanks, me too! In the end, the only real issue was that we were delayed a year.

I'd submit that, for at least one person, it's not easy getting on a plane OR the stuff packed. #nounderwearnecessary

:rotfl2:We all have different definitions of what is "necessary".

Wide goal posts there making for a thick playbook.

And a lot of luggage.

Genius level achieved.

She's a keeper, that's for sure.

OH a non-fiction story full of self-evident truths!

I really wish they all hadn't sunk to the lowest-common-denominator of customer service.

If you think you're gonna get one when they all move out, you are deluded.

Buy stock in Aleve now.

Oh, I know that ship has sailed. Now I injure myself sleeping.

Wow, that IS very nice of them!

It's nice to be taken care of!

It really is and then I saw the next one.

Hard to beat an aerial view of snow-capped mountains.

Nice capture!! As for the monstrosity. That is an understatement of gross proportions.

I guess there are some Gehry fans in the world. I am not one of them.

I detest that airport.

I can't say I felt it was much different from others.

Free would be overpriced. Better than Chex mix though.

Well, the fries were hot. Hard to beat fresh McDonald's fries.

And as far as airline snacks go, the Chex Mix from Alaska definitely ranked toward the bottom.

Holy smokes!! That is incredible!

The flight into Alaska was stunning. Mountains and glaciers and fjords the whole way.

Was it Oklahoma you walked across a bridge to "visit"?

No, that was Iowa. There was a pedestrian bridge from Omaha across the river to Iowa, so we walked across that. But we did Oklahoma dirty. We drove across the border on a back road, got out of the car to pee on the shoulder, and then left.

It's like the paramedics of the aviation world. 99% boring until there's a need for clear thinking and skill.

Absolutely. We take so many highly skilled professionals for granted.

Aww, that's really cute. Is he always this cute?

(I have 5 kids, I know the answer.)

Well, he's usually very cute when he's around other people.

Wait?! It is?

Crap.

I'm sorry. You guys will be suffering through a few more months of this TR.

That does make me sad. :(

It has to be hard for the park service to find the balance between protecting the resources and allowing visitors to experience it.

They know what happens to overwrought tourists. It is not pretty. Besides they order more food when they're awake.

That has been proven to be true.

I think you misspelled that.

<snickers a bit more>

:rolleyes1:rotfl2:

I wouldn't know if I'm a fan of cruising or not, never having done one. :confused3

My in-laws took us on a 4-night Disney Cruise in the Bahamas back in 2009. The ship was gorgeous, we loved the food, and there were plenty of fun things to do on board. And when it's all inclusive, it's nice having everything taken care of for you. On the downside, it's really expensive. It's hard to find cruises that don't have a few dud ports-of-call in the itinerary. And mostly we didn't like being on someone else's schedule. I like being in control of where we visit and for how long. With cruising, even if you go somewhere interesting, you may only be there for a few hours. After 4 days, I felt like we had seen everything there was to do on the ship and were ready for something different.

I know many of the cruise lines say they are all-inclusive, but then it turns out you can only eat in one dining room and every other restaurant involves an upcharge. The nickel-and-diming gets old fast. Disney is better about that, but they're more expensive from the get-go.

But your mileage my vary. There are clearly many people who love that style of travel.

I might. I'm just not sure about it yet. If I do, however, it would have to be in May or June (supposedly the best time to go) and I don't know if I'm that keen on cruising that soon.

Yeah, I can understand. Now the Delta variant has made things more uncertain, even for the vaccinated.

Glad she's improving. Hope that continues.

Thanks! Her problem is that she always pushes herself too hard too fast. My parents aren't good at sitting around and resting.

I understand, though, because I'm not great at that either.

Correct. I sure hope the person in charge saw those and realized the riot he'd face.

I can't imagine any flight, but especially a long one, trapped in that position. Everyone would be in agony.

That's always the deciding factor. Is it worth it.

Yup!

I had to Google that. That didn't exist when I was there. Who knows... maybe it's good.

(I doubt it.)

I pulled up Lynn Lake on Google maps and that was the only restaurant that showed up. That was the sum total of investigating I did.

Lynn Lake is actually in a nice enough spot in the middle of the boreal forest with plenty of lakes around, but... the town itself left much to be desired.

Gotcha. A long way from everything else!

Ah. So the $28million price tag isn't the roadblock.

I could do a gofundme.

My in-laws took us on a 4-night Disney Cruise in the Bahamas back in 2009. The ship was gorgeous, we loved the food, and there were plenty of fun things to do on board. And when it's all inclusive, it's nice having everything taken care of for you. On the downside, it's really expensive. It's hard to find cruises that don't have a few dud ports-of-call in the itinerary. And mostly we didn't like being on someone else's schedule. I like being in control of where we visit and for how long. With cruising, even if you go somewhere interesting, you may only be there for a few hours. After 4 days, I felt like we had seen everything there was to do on the ship and were ready for something different.
This.
I've had similar thoughts. "But what if I like (fill in port of call here) and want to stay more than just 3-4 hours?"
I know many of the cruise lines say they are all-inclusive, but then it turns out you can only eat in one dining room and every other restaurant involves an upcharge. The nickel-and-diming gets old fast. Disney is better about that, but they're more expensive from the get-go.
That too caught me by surprise. I didn't know about it until I started reading other cruise reports.
"Wait... so the all inclusive, is also exclusive??"
But your mileage my vary. There are clearly many people who love that style of travel.
And I'm willing to give it a go.
Yeah, I can understand. Now the Delta variant has made things more uncertain, even for the vaccinated.
I read a very good article about that.

There was an outbreak (sorry, forget where) with 900 cases. 74% of those cases were vaccinated. Scary, right?
Except that if the same 900 were in 2020 pre-vaccine than you would expect 90 hospitalizations and 9 deaths.
But in this instance there's been zero deaths and only 7 hospitalizations. That's huge. Shows just how effective vaccination is.
Thanks! Her problem is that she always pushes herself too hard too fast. My parents aren't good at sitting around and resting.
Sounds like that's where you got it from. :)
I can't imagine any flight, but especially a long one, trapped in that position. Everyone would be in agony.
Maybe the shuttle from the terminal to the plane. Maybe.
I pulled up Lynn Lake on Google maps and that was the only restaurant that showed up. That was the sum total of investigating I did.
The Lynn Inn is still serving. It was disgusting back when I was there. I wouldn't try it again.
Gotcha. A long way from everything else!
::yes::
I could do a gofundme.
I'll even kick in the first 5 cents!

Our original 2020 Alaska Adventure was meant to be a big expensive blowout celebration of both the family completing the 50-state quest and Sarah’s graduation from high school. It included flights to 3 separate destinations, a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Seward exploring the Inside Passage, an 11-day driving tour on land and visits to 4 national parks.

For 2021, I was able to salvage most of that. The cruise was a no-go, which left me with a large credit with Royal Caribbean that I’m still working on figuring out how to use so I don’t lose that deposit. First world problems. But the rest of the plan stayed fairly intact, and I was able to use a lot of the credits and money I’d spent on 2020 reservations to take care of this trip. So that was certainly a blessing.

Sorry the cruise part didn't work out, but I'm glad you got to make the rest of it mostly work. I can see why you're not so keen on cruises as you're not into excessive food and drink, but i hope you enjoy what you are able to salvage of your cruise deposit.

Julie’s system involves piles, plastic bags and post-it notes. She writes the planned activities for each day of the trip on a post-it note and then sticks it to the wall in the upstairs hallway. Everyone chooses some clothing for the day (hopefully appropriate for that day’s activity) and then they add their clothes to the pile. Then Julie takes the pile and compresses it into a gallon-size plastic bag (like you’d use for food in the freezer) and sticks the post-it note on the bag. She’ll try and group a few consecutive days’ bags into one bag in the hopes of us having to move fewer bags into the hotel rooms as we move throughout the vacation.

That's brilliant! I can't imagine packing for that many humans, it's hard enough to get Fran to give me what she wants to pack and she doesn't even finish doing it until the morning of the trip.

But we still ended up packing 4 bags, plus carry-ons. Jeans and sweatshirts and jackets take up a lot of room no matter what you do.

We have 4 bags minimum for a regular trip regardless of whether we pack jeans or sweatshirts!

It was going to be a long day. Not only did we have a great distance to travel, but it was going to be covered in 3 separate flights.

That sounds arduous.

Well, I have 4 kids. I haven’t had any sleep in 20 years. So there.

I can't even imagine. We have $#%$$ cats and I get 7+ hours of sleep per night.

We grabbed some breakfast at a Dunkin’ Donuts in the airport and eventually our plane arrived with no further delays.

AM-JKLW1_Y5kgZlJVv7U0WKu25FP9DtsPQAAw9SkP9h7FPETJVMjbl_5TmbYbls_4iktJ2TwCxY9wSJR3chsS11H5og11SyMmyPqqOCVOqMFLK9_AzSWzEZ09uo81gaZPipSkggF6fb93dXMjX752n6e_9Wnvw=w1128-h846-no

Great picture of you all! Julie definitely has the selfie skillz down!

My ticket still read Juneau, so this appeared to be a problem. After some amateur sleuthing, we found that our gate had already been changed…to D6. So at least it was another long walk.

I hate when that happens.

I tried asking the gate clerk if we could figure out a way to switch Dave’s seat so he could sit with the rest of us, but she was unable to do anything for me. Once we’d boarded the plane, we found a nice old lady sitting in one of our rows. We asked her if she would be kind enough to switch seats so Dave could sit with us, and she seemed very nice and agreeable.

Until a young woman came up and asked why these people were sitting in her seat.

After several minutes of confusion, it turned out that the old lady had sat in the wrong seat to begin with, and the young woman was the one we’d really wanted to switch with. Thankfully, it all worked out in the end, and they didn’t really care which seat they had since they were all aisle seats

Phew! :laughing:

At this point, it was approximately 7:00 p.m. East Coast time (3:00 p.m. Alaska time), so we’d already been awake and traveling for 15 hours and still had one more flight to go. This one was just a short little puddle jump to the town of Gustavus, AK.

I'm sure you all were punch drunk at this point. I would have had at least a drink or two so not drunk, but tired and wishing I was drunk! :rotfl:

Honestly, it was fun to fly there. It felt like a new type of adventure, going where relatively few people dare to tread. If you’ve ever landed on the short runway at Chicago’s Midway airport, it was a similar experience here as we hit the ground and the pilot immediately jammed on the brakes and hit full flaps to avoid careening off the edge of the runway.

We taxied over to the “terminal building”. They wheeled out some stairs and we climbed down onto the runway to de-plane.

I'm sure that's fun for your family. Unfortunately we have to make sure we don't fly to airports like this as Fran would have a helluva time getting out of a plane like this.

We got a kick out of how tiny the airport was. There was exactly one building, which housed the Alaska Airlines offices. The baggage claim was basically a shed with a door on either end.

Yes that certainly is small!

I made a comment about a “rinky-dink” airport, and apparently Drew had never heard that expression before, because he was telling anyone who would listen that Dad called the airport a “rink and a dink”.

That boy needs some lessons in good old time speaking. Like "heavens to Betsy", or "that's the best thing since sliced bread!" and "Don't take any wooden nickels!"

The Glacier Bay Lodge is the only place to stay on park property, and they run a shuttle to and from the airport. The driver was there waiting for us (and most of the other airplane passengers) and happy to help us load our luggage onto the bus. It was nothing fancy, just a regular old school bus.

You get what you can out there in the boondocks!

Most visitors to Glacier Bay arrive via cruise ship, and never leave the ship as they cruise the waters of the bay for the day before moving on. If you want to spend more time (or if there are no cruises running), then finding your own way to Gustavus and staying here or in a mom-and-pop inn are the only real options.

Yup, my one time to Glacier Bay was on a cruise ship.

The driver gave us the nickel tour of the town of Gustavus, pointing out the one (1) intersection, known locally as “4 corners”. That’s where the one (1) gas station and one (1) restaurant are located as well. He said there were two places to get groceries and supplies. One was a general store attached to the gas station, and the other was run by a family by the name of Cosh who would make a Costco run every so often and then re-sell their purchases to the residents. So it was called the “Coshco”.

Cute, did they sell it in bulk or did the break up the items that said, "not licensed for individual sale."

One nice thing about flying into a remote location is that most things are very informal. As we drove further down the road, we took a bend and headed toward the national park. As we entered the park property, the bus driver pointed out the sign. Someone asked if he could stop for a photo, and he said, “Sure! No problem!” So he pulled the bus over and we all piled out.

And our feet officially touched Alaskan soil.

That was it! Family history was made on this remote spot in Gustavus, Alaska.

AM-JKLW603-5hSCDc8nYQ0tB52nFX0B4OdlG33BARg-VLF8avJ_htnOSHv07IUv8NqlCCZneonvDCUZ0FbJynWNgCx7iIT63ICgJkKc8CBU6IPMCx9oL5u7Qk8sxsFwy5if1KT1AfHapsJ0hobmgTbdWJF6wTQ=w1128-h846-no

And there was much rejoicing! party:

We’re done! Thanks for reading. You guys are the best. In conclusion, I—

(checks earpiece)

Oh, come on.

(checks earpiece again)

Sigh. I’ve been informed that the DISBoard Trip Report bylaws state that I must report upon the entire trip, not just a tiny portion of it. So apparently I have to keep going. Believe me, I’m as disappointed as you are. I thought I was going to knock this thing out in one chapter.

Oh, come on......we want to hear all about the rest of your trip!

Well, we arrived at the lodge where we were told that they had our room keys ready for us and we just needed to give our last names to the workers out front. And there was only one restaurant on property, and it was reservation only.

So we immediately split up—I got in the line for the room keys and Julie went inside to get a dinner reservation. As we milled around waiting for Julie, I took a photo of our luxury airport shuttle.

AM-JKLV62xfaUgdQfV_W5C7F9tX8HMiLhhn_v4qwJgJ7nxFfymf0R-HG_VuocjA35tqQDMzM5b6FKbgZYOESdpc_kKiymyTIpvMFKinIoQV_YOt3Z-xPPnIUP7enI0oGyAD4JTG5JSL7VhZVJcOFn-3pVI0ydw=w1128-h846-no

Hey, it got the job done.

I can tell that these back country trips are not for Fran, it would be difficult to get her scooter in there, much less pushing her butt up those steps!

Julie came back with bad news. They couldn’t seat us in the restaurant until 7:50 p.m. (We’d arrived at the lodge at roughly 5:00 p.m. or so.)

That is quite a wait.

Yes, I said rooms. In an Oblivious Family first, I had actually reserved two hotel rooms for our family, which meant everyone would have an actual bed to sleep on. I know, I’m getting soft in my old age.

I'm not sure how you have gone all these years with sleeping on the floors!

Actually, I booked the boat tour of the national park at the same time, so I had to list everyone and couldn’t go with my usual trick of forgetting a couple of kids so I only had to book one room. Disney gets me that way, too.

Well there is that too.....

Finally, we looked at the restaurant and saw some open tables. So we decided to go back to the host desk and ask them to have mercy on us. At this point, we’d been awake for almost 20 hours. The long hours of Alaskan daylight meant our bodies truly had no clue what time it was. Thankfully, the staff took pity and seated us right away.

Aww....that's nice of them.

We mostly ordered cheeseburgers, which were nothing special but also not bad. There was no kids menu, so Drew was going to share a burger, but in the time it took to cook the food…

AM-JKLXaOe4VD3dvi34f-DFnyGTCdA3P2P_WX88dirdcGq02mlG1iEuer-Tf-G6oXLLo0E9UgM2ptGD28SlKF1heZ_ihWUQFPbCP_xwAPonCNrCGdN3jB1Y1w7glEsjDYzcePtLRXPdNSGMnCiNjTBdM2laLQQ=w635-h846-no

The hazards on long travel.

Six passenger set sail that day for an eight hour tour. An eight hour tour.

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip......

I don't think I had said anything about it. She's had a rough go of it lately. First she had both knees replaced...now the hip.

That's rough, Fran did the hip then both knees. But that was like 10+ years ago....now she's looking at possible shoulder replacements.

I have until the end of this year to pick a cruise in 2022.
I think I'm going to push it as far back in the year as I can.
And... I have no idea where I want to cruise to. Alaska was the original, but that was 100% for my mom. Now that I'm going alone... :confused3

There's always Mexico or Hawaii......

This.
I've had similar thoughts. "But what if I like (fill in port of call here) and want to stay more than just 3-4 hours?"

The Disney Cruise went to Nassau, and from what I read, the only real excursion was to go to the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island. Otherwise...not much to see or do. I would have loved to be able to edit that, but...

There are so many itineraries where I went through the list of ports and had some variation of: "Cool, no, meh, meh, no, good one, meh..."

That too caught me by surprise. I didn't know about it until I started reading other cruise reports.
"Wait... so the all inclusive, is also exclusive??"

Yeah, it can be painful. Like I said, Disney is at least more up front with the cost. I'm supposed to be on Royal Caribbean next year and it's annoying to read about all the upcharges.

And I'm willing to give it a go.

There are some wonderful things about cruising, for sure. The ships themselves are impressive feats of engineering, too.

I read a very good article about that.

There was an outbreak (sorry, forget where) with 900 cases. 74% of those cases were vaccinated. Scary, right?
Except that if the same 900 were in 2020 pre-vaccine than you would expect 90 hospitalizations and 9 deaths.
But in this instance there's been zero deaths and only 7 hospitalizations. That's huge. Shows just how effective vaccination is.

Pretty amazing! From the early vaccine data, I had hoped to avoid getting COVID altogether. Still, avoiding hospitalization and death is the main goal, and it's incredible the success they've had.

It's true you can still get COVID after being vaccinated. I saw someone respond to that by saying "It's true you can still get injured playing linebacker while wearing a helmet. But man, try playing without one."

Sounds like that's where you got it from. :)

Must be! I suspect this is part of the reason I don't care for cruising. Too much sitting around.

Maybe the shuttle from the terminal to the plane. Maybe.

It would still suck.

The Lynn Inn is still serving. It was disgusting back when I was there. I wouldn't try it again.

I'd make a note to self, but I don't think I'll ever be there.

I'll even kick in the first 5 cents!

:woohoo:This is the most traction my astronaut dreams have ever gotten.

Sorry the cruise part didn't work out, but I'm glad you got to make the rest of it mostly work. I can see why you're not so keen on cruises as you're not into excessive food and drink, but i hope you enjoy what you are able to salvage of your cruise deposit.

If the worst thing that happens to me is that I'm forced to take a cruise, I must be doing pretty well. No one will shed any tears, that's for sure!

That's brilliant! I can't imagine packing for that many humans, it's hard enough to get Fran to give me what she wants to pack and she doesn't even finish doing it until the morning of the trip.

We keep trying to make the kids do more and more for themselves. Independence is much easier!

But they always forget stuff.

We have 4 bags minimum for a regular trip regardless of whether we pack jeans or sweatshirts!

:rotfl2:I bet our packing lists are very different.

That sounds arduous.

It was a long day, for sure.

I can't even imagine. We have $#%$$ cats and I get 7+ hours of sleep per night.

:rotfl2: With my allergies I wouldn't get any sleep with cats, either!

Great picture of you all! Julie definitely has the selfie skillz down!

I was so happy to finally be on a plane!

I hate when that happens.

Stupid airlines.

I'm sure you all were punch drunk at this point. I would have had at least a drink or two so not drunk, but tired and wishing I was drunk! :rotfl:

:lmao:

Punch drunk for sure! 4:00 a.m. does a number on me.

I'm sure that's fun for your family. Unfortunately we have to make sure we don't fly to airports like this as Fran would have a helluva time getting out of a plane like this.

Yeah, good point. I honestly don't know how she would have managed that. It's not like there's an elevator.

That boy needs some lessons in good old time speaking. Like "heavens to Betsy", or "that's the best thing since sliced bread!" and "Don't take any wooden nickels!"

Well, according to Julie he just learned about what it means if it'll "cost a pretty penny"!

You get what you can out there in the boondocks!

Seriously. We were glad to have it!

Yup, my one time to Glacier Bay was on a cruise ship.

I suspect that's how the vast majority of visitors get there.

Cute, did they sell it in bulk or did the break up the items that said, "not licensed for individual sale."

No idea! I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Costco isn't sending enforcers out their way, though.

And there was much rejoicing! party:

There was! As much as people who have been up for 20 hours can do, anyway.

Oh, come on......we want to hear all about the rest of your trip!

Be careful what you wish for!

I can tell that these back country trips are not for Fran, it would be difficult to get her scooter in there, much less pushing her butt up those steps!

The lodge had a nice ramp to make it ADA-accessible. The bus...not so much.

I'm not sure how you have gone all these years with sleeping on the floors!

Oh, it's been easy. I haven't had to sleep on the floor.:rotfl:

Well there is that too.....

They always get me somehow.

Aww....that's nice of them.

We were so thankful. And so done at that point.

The hazards on long travel.

Those time zones will mess with ya.

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip......

Finally! I was waiting for someone to pick up on that.

That's rough, Fran did the hip then both knees. But that was like 10+ years ago....now she's looking at possible shoulder replacements.

Shoulder replacement! :scared1: Honestly, I didn't even know that was a thing. That does not sound fun.

There's always Mexico or Hawaii......

Sadly, he can't cruise to Delaware.

The Disney Cruise went to Nassau, and from what I read, the only real excursion was to go to the Atlantis resort on Paradise Island. Otherwise...not much to see or do. I would have loved to be able to edit that, but...
And I've heard Nassau itself... well, it's not on my bucket list. I'll just leave that there.
There are so many itineraries where I went through the list of ports and had some variation of: "Cool, no, meh, meh, no, good one, meh..."
Huh.
But... it makes sense. They want you to do more than one cruise. "I loved that cruise, but I want to go ____ next, so I'll take another cruise."
There are some wonderful things about cruising, for sure. The ships themselves are impressive feats of engineering, too.
That, I believe.
Pretty amazing! From the early vaccine data, I had hoped to avoid getting COVID altogether. Still, avoiding hospitalization and death is the main goal, and it's incredible the success they've had.
It's true you can still get COVID after being vaccinated. I saw someone respond to that by saying "It's true you can still get injured playing linebacker while wearing a helmet. But man, try playing without one."
Oh, I like that. I'll be using it.

(Taking full credit of course.)
It would still suck.
Yes.
I'd make a note to self, but I don't think I'll ever be there.
Lynn Lake is a great place to fly into in order to transfer to a smaller plane that takes you to some fly-in fishing place. Minimizing the time there is de rigeur.
:woohoo:This is the most traction my astronaut dreams have ever gotten.
:laughing:

Hooray for Alaska! I’ve been following the Oblivious adventures for a while and I wondered if this was going to be the year.

The packing system is genius! I read somewhere that you should always mix people’s clothes in bags so that if one goes missing, you don’t need to buy a whole wardrobe. (I’m taking notes for my family’s trip to Alaska, which will be when college is done for everyone).

I am always impressed with how many family members you shoehorn into hotel rooms. Now that all of my kids are full grown, I try to book suites or sometimes two rooms if the price is right. They take up a lot of space! Your kids seem to have grown an awful lot since the last trip. Although I think my youngest has grown nearly six inches since Covid began.

Can’t wait for the next installment.

We keep trying to make the kids do more and more for themselves. Independence is much easier!

But they always forget stuff.

We do too! :lmao:

:rotfl2:I bet our packing lists are very different.

I'm sure that they are very different!

Yeah, good point. I honestly don't know how she would have managed that. It's not like there's an elevator.

Very slowly.....but she would get there, and be the last one out.

Finally! I was waiting for someone to pick up on that.

Really???? No one else after over a week! Of course ever since I replied that darned theme song has been going through my head.

And I've heard Nassau itself... well, it's not on my bucket list. I'll just leave that there.

Yeah, it's like the armpit of the Caribbean.

Same. When I researched it before our last cruise, we ended up just deciding to stay on the ship.

Huh.
But... it makes sense. They want you to do more than one cruise. "I loved that cruise, but I want to go ____ next, so I'll take another cruise."

Yeah, I can see that. And I think there's certainly a demographic that really loves just hanging out on the ship, relaxing, having everything take care of for them. Like I said, I just enjoy it more when I'm in control of where we go and for how long.

Oh, I like that. I'll be using it.

(Taking full credit of course.)

Go for it, I already stole it from somewhere else!

Lynn Lake is a great place to fly into in order to transfer to a smaller plane that takes you to some fly-in fishing place. Minimizing the time there is de rigeur.

Gotcha. I'm not much for fly fishing, so I doubt I'll be up that way.

Hooray for Alaska! I’ve been following the Oblivious adventures for a while and I wondered if this was going to be the year.

We finally did it! Only a year delay, so that wasn't too bad of a wait, right?

The packing system is genius! I read somewhere that you should always mix people’s clothes in bags so that if one goes missing, you don’t need to buy a whole wardrobe. (I’m taking notes for my family’s trip to Alaska, which will be when college is done for everyone).

Hmm..haven't heard that one before. Given how disorganized our kids are, I'm not sure if that system would help. Everyone would be losing stuff all the time, or just pack one sock, or something like that.

I am always impressed with how many family members you shoehorn into hotel rooms. Now that all of my kids are full grown, I try to book suites or sometimes two rooms if the price is right. They take up a lot of space! Your kids seem to have grown an awful lot since the last trip. Although I think my youngest has grown nearly six inches since Covid began.

We try to get as many suites as we can, too. It's much better and easier if there's a bed for everyone. But that's not always possible, especially in some of these remote areas. And sometimes it's just not affordable.

We do too! :lmao:

Seems like we always have the last-minute shopping trip once we arrive to go pick up the stuff we should have packed.

I'm sure that they are very different!

I feel like our first, second, and third priority is to make sure we pay as little in bag fees as possible.

Very slowly.....but she would get there, and be the last one out.

Definitely not easy getting to places like that.

Really???? No one else after over a week! Of course ever since I replied that darned theme song has been going through my head.

You're welcome. :rotfl2:

Yeah, it's like the armpit of the Caribbean.

That was our assessment as well. We didn't bother getting off.

Did you bring enough for the rest of the class?

Seems like we always have the last-minute shopping trip once we arrive to go pick up the stuff we should have packed.

If we are on a road trip with our car we end up coming home with more than we left with due to stops for things we forgot. When we go to places like Disney or other destinations where we stay awhile, we'll that's what Amazon Prime is for.

I feel like our first, second, and third priority is to make sure we pay as little in bag fees as possible.

See and we do that just by flying on Southwest. Our priority is getting everything into four suitcases and not having to pay the overweight baggage fee!

Same. When I researched it before our last cruise, we ended up just deciding to stay on the ship.
That bad, huh?
Yeah, I can see that. And I think there's certainly a demographic that really loves just hanging out on the ship, relaxing, having everything take care of for them. Like I said, I just enjoy it more when I'm in control of where we go and for how long.
I've always thought of a Caribbean cruise as a chance to see a few places so I can decide which one I will actually vacation on next time.
Go for it, I already stole it from somewhere else!
:thumbsup2

If we are on a road trip with our car we end up coming home with more than we left with due to stops for things we forgot. When we go to places like Disney or other destinations where we stay awhile, we'll that's what Amazon Prime is for.

Or the local drug store, if you don't mind the markup. I can see where Amazon would make it easy!

See and we do that just by flying on Southwest. Our priority is getting everything into four suitcases and not having to pay the overweight baggage fee!

I used to fly almost exclusively Southwest, but they no longer are the "discount" carrier. Their prices for flights are often worse than the other airlines now, to the point where it's cheaper for me to pay the bag fees. Six tickets add up quickly. I can still find cheap rates on Southwest, but it's usually for flights with multiple stops or those that arrive at 1:30 a.m.

That bad, huh?

It was a real struggle to find anything worthy of an excursion. Nothing that rated higher than a less-crowded pool on a Disney ship.

I've always thought of a Caribbean cruise as a chance to see a few places so I can decide which one I will actually vacation on next time.

Not a bad way to look at it. But it's a lot more expensive than Google. :laughing:

Chapter 2: The Wilderness Must Be Explored

We learned early on that if you want to see something in Alaska, you most likely have to pay someone else to take you there. I read a statistic that said roughly 20% of all communities in Alaska are accessible by road, meaning…

(hang on, let me take my shoes off so I can count…)

(carry the one…)

(this little piggy went to market…)

…80% of communities can only be reached by boat or plane. And since we are not boat captains or pilots, we need someone else to help us explore.

Glacier Bay National Park has no roads. Most visitors arrive via cruise ship, as the park allows some of the cruise lines to sail a limited number of dates in park waters during the summer. The more adventurous (and rich) tourists can hire private planes for flightseeing excursions out of Juneau or Haines/Skagway. And the third option is to stay at the Glacier Bay Lodge and take their guided 8-hour boat tour of the bay.

The bay was proclaimed a national monument in 1925, and then expanded and turned into a national park in 1980. It has also been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site and is named for the nine tidewater glaciers (and over 1,000 glaciers overall) found within its borders. The boat tour took us on a 65-mile trip to the north end of the bay, but we still only saw a small portion of the park—the park itself is roughly the size of the state of Connecticut.

The boat was to leave the dock at 7:30 a.m., and we were told to be on board around 7:00. That didn’t leave a ton of time for breakfast, and we hadn’t yet been able to pick up our road trip supplies, so we were at the mercy of the lodge restaurant. Thankfully, they know that most of their customers are probably on the boat, so they open up for a breakfast buffet at 6:00 a.m.

Still being somewhat used to East Coast time, it was relatively easy for us to Rope Drop the breakfast buffet. We were only beaten by one couple to the line.

Because Rope Drop always works.

It was a pretty decent breakfast spread, too. Usually it’s the home fries that make or break these meals. If they’re hot and crispy, it’s a good breakfast. If they’re undercooked and mushy, it’s disappointing. These were good.

AM-JKLUCJ2p01Bw1R62gchbx41sy4FLdrNowvJp28ur-1PCI4qBFJJ8jpSnxXAICTnXHn2BQ_Ws-0zFQ_D37sW_R8sXL8QldT5TstK4Z9J_zmQ53IdErwgbI99iU9IBLwAkcAXBNUuXiz0EIZewZEwcF-gpavg=w1150-h862-no

The one true variable in planning an Alaska vacation is the weather. Because almost every location in the state is surrounded by high mountain ranges, the state often makes its own weather. You can have everything from bright sunlight to drizzly fog to murky cloud cover to torrential storms, often all in the same day. Hence the need to be able to dress in layers, from jackets, hats and gloves all the way down to t-shirts and shorts.

AM-JKLUF2DM4c7z8vQT8wGXa-Ro9SRPqmL3ySKPw4YuZI3U2N0f-PiDdT-r_jqVX58614LE34n1WToAUADHk2KNDQwoNAFUF47_JGShUTJRP9VFrsr5HhhK-NSN_mddTJvBdV-5ZCjfLJ2BJs8aDkm5O5An2-A=w1150-h862-no

Given that we were going to be on a boat moving through glacial waters, we broke out the cold weather gear. We’d hoped for a good weather day, but the morning was full of low clouds and fog. It didn’t make us optimistic for the scenery. After breakfast, we went back to our rooms to brush our teeth and pack our bags, since we had to make a flight out that evening. The lodge was really helpful with this. They had a storage area near the front desk where they would collect our bags and hold them. When we returned from the boat, they’d already be loaded onto the bus for the return to the airport.

We walked down the path to the dock. Here’s our cruise vessel. We boarded and headed for the second deck, grabbing some seats there and hoping for some good views. As you can see from the photo, visibility wasn’t great at this time of the morning.

AM-JKLUoejk2nzs1iD1LLA1AmcXiPG7iikhP4_fVOlorqodDMAcK6euEIKsYb-cC1b0NUyT-qPUIGADCPTzRY9XfycOCVIhZwqEVtzIoetTOdh4zbtLsj_hYulBD5dYJvyzEO-qQmXrjvbYyd8eerCVkjHEUlA=w1150-h862-no

The sightseeing cruise was scheduled to leave at 7:30 a.m. and return at 3:30 p.m. In addition, there was a national park ranger on board who would be narrating the cruise and providing context to the sights we beheld. Whenever we spotted any wildlife, she’d get on the loudspeaker and describe what animals we were seeing and rattle off some characteristics or behaviors to watch for. She also had the materials for the all-important national park passport stamp and the Junior Ranger badges.

So, we have an 8-hour tour, narrated by a national park ranger, and they included lunch as part of the deal (and some crappy coffee). All in all, I would estimate that the two rooms at the lodge, plus the boat tour, plus the cost of flying in and out of Gustavus was probably well over $3,000. Easily the most expensive part of the trip. This was our big splurge.

And it ended up being totally worth it.

We began the day by drifting past some sea otters, lazily doing the backstroke.

AM-JKLXyKwqt7ZKqqzyavuXtHS8MBtUoJh5Tb9_qWQqqcc4ZGAP3txdEjupK6aRbxLR_QS8-Y-PnB7D6YKYx-uAaBjtRgYuUxb9o0RgQs49jE_5wW5ilRLEZnHBtUOyOP_ZAOK46MRdqhSFK-AnsCQkwRGiQvw=w1293-h862-no

This was followed soon after by a seal getting some morning exercise.

AM-JKLXnAj0yvUALMSAdF40RB1kXJbMLdTBYdPOqQ9kXwQOC_iIOIRmLn1oXa_TtOwcBR7kgTuPbkyi4c2-_LuhHIiClfNyc6bhHDfIazhnkjsCIwfmFxDTJ8NVvRDCDWdxInN9P1tsZtVsWH78o_xIzw64cyQ=w1293-h862-no

We got an up-close look at a group of sea lions resting on South Marble Island.

AM-JKLWej3HzY0d9oofLVRIkQ65gHsIdI1M_O0J9XpO1i1bU-PN0x-RWiNdZ0y1ZoVOAaFy9Mha87lTBmWSaIuJZ0r_oCD1C30FiuGTH-n_J1hVYoCxwVPHYjPxMlZImI1oorUCLm3I5Mt4n--P1hZIbC0c1VA=w1293-h862-no

This was the setup for wildlife viewing on the boat. The main viewing area was on the second deck, behind where we had set up camp indoors. The third deck was closed until we got close to some wildlife, and then the captain would slow the boat and they’d open that area up for photos and viewing as well. Then you'd just have to elbow people out of the way in order to get a good photo. I tended to try and shove the kids away, since I'm bigger.

AM-JKLW8JhzFwr8dhKsDDbtToid9VDgKP-SR9mLZBzAYpHKCnRdq-ybiTCqWd1B3UTvWJ0ML5TmYt0_TBrzqYfshG5yKDVeMYqX_eurijpPUjqf7WNdaV6P3rjrkbahlepS1DsEZ08PGs79OTOMmXy7DTyt0pg=w1150-h862-no

We also saw some tufted puffins floating near the island.

AM-JKLVfdCruK8UeCMNKdMLyYKA8dTEJWBnuZLsW2WGZz-I1z-Il0W5N-nHrRCiUTrm2Yr2bREcpbwEj77BL_bNy8rB8iddzEQWFHXrMQ1xpYwinXREhdYj74jMuwENKS5wfo878Tz8NQymBgTKktqBfBtyW6A=w1293-h862-no

Ok, I can see you yawning. I guess you’re not impressed by puffins.

To this point, it had been a nice leisurely cruise into the bay. We stopped on the northeastern shore to drop off some people who were planning on staying a couple of nights, doing some camping and kayaking on their own. The clouds were still low on the mountains, but check out that color in the water from all of the glacial silt.

AM-JKLVH_gvMjHku9tlBvNuAzRcA9i3uHk5W0u4Mk2QSB88OA0qOIrBrJtXXrLczMsVYQc93kh4S7TLunm5o7YsLUVlIoZeVZdY0VMwgmraSzAeGuWp2P66CAe4ggvJtks6ufGWukyjWCwfpO1ZJqR3SB2EJfw=w1150-h862-no

You’ll notice some differences in the photos I post. We noticed that the colors taken with our phones (they’re fairly new) were much more vivid than those we got with the “good” camera. I think that probably has something to do with the automatic software settings in the phone camera. It seems to be set to make the colors pop out more. But the zoom feature on the phone is still crappy and breaks down in quality almost immediately, so we were glad to have the other camera with the zoom lens, especially for wildlife. So, if the photo appears more colorful, it was from our phones, but if it has more detail (especially in a zoom) it was the Nikon.

Once we’d dropped off the kayakers, we sailed back into the main bay, and it was here that the real show began. We began to notice small vertical trails of vapor rising out of the water in random spots. If you looked closer at these vapor trails, they seemed to come from dark shapes just breaking the surface of the water.

Thar be whales.

Humpback whales, to be exact. And once we’d started finding them, they seemed to pop up all over the bay. Every time someone would spot the “spouts”, we’d rush to that side of the boat to watch as the whales came up for air. I’d estimate we saw roughly two dozen whales over the course of the day. We even saw a couple of them “breach” (that is, leap out of the water), though we weren’t fast enough to capture it on camera. But it was enough for us to be able to say we saw these majestic creatures out in the wild.

AM-JKLWFQoAQ0USwEoxH2tncnsrIJa1x2OsXPXMkBCbhqTdZk4TOcpARRJaSnbY9J6u-o3Cdp5srq6zilbGzKYGQXSSeESkmBl31Dp2PbTIh3MyLl8LMKIgAje0554ndxoudcxV3sa2f4g1G2Xa0iDKv2L78Gg=w1316-h877-no

AM-JKLVbiSJqII6KP0d3WlgkI-JyokqczlaLuUHeL1LUOti98SBsst2-D5K-DsZfjKmyo8tUESAVN-uBmdN2mOWgI9q5vIcE8uJqVQS42XaFJpArpx9o9RIijQAnCNqYTIS_aqd9JheBYFJlnDuXo5FOMb8LBg=w1316-h877-no

AM-JKLW_KEF0olyRmycsKnG8t8eytpZFt5b7uKHNu7I33wAxCDYg1RZxDFouFBPp6nIGrQO3NeB44twhJr4wnwPLEGHgWTb9nQmIyQIlDKcmxxa2lLnSNwuG2QEKFPdrdFWLoSL2z6WPR_6qdgyBaE9OqcJlXw=w1316-h877-no

It was mesmerizing. I couldn’t get enough of them.

We sailed further to the northwest, deeper into the heart of Glacier Bay. We weren’t done with the wildlife sightings yet. If you look closely at this photo, you can see a family of mountain goats up on the rocks.

AM-JKLWs1wpkxfSJLC6PpR8u1j0Ml6XstXKcaUVMciQh36_RNF3E9c3SKMfNS8a79uljLAe0txDy-6Tuxcuf_24hKUs8BgbXgqDBl06FVv_xmOCvFsSQl6ZxomOpasN1w3t9gxOqons3rbfKoSi6W9FkEELkiQ=w1316-h877-no

The boat crew began to prepare lunch for us. And as if on cue, the clouds began to dissipate, revealing Glacier Bay in all of its grandeur.

AM-JKLVIYJwLDanFx6llV0NRJRNTWjrYJhvFrDqc-198WEd9iV1HNXtpGCwfAM7NMk5UnPPEaW2IID3W-UBJLXJhiz1OJSioe7gywaxmYBrryE4JTahh6nYuxNfX7npZ1TUkIE6yjEuxl81Wz-Ye-OVvhhp0ug=w1170-h877-no

AM-JKLUPvvVTOUp1PnsdqM3eSLzb9TppzNmSjyPBseOqW-K8GNpmSBe-SvCIS63OhxMlEU0Ebqz6ARuT5KMaMtb2eCdFgPADXNUCfhcU6hdXLZacTG21yYOU-xzn7Fjg2U0Wko_P1l0ndUvoNCxY558UdDPMmw=w1170-h877-no

Now, instead of being captivated by wildlife, we were captivated by scenery.

Lunch consisted of a simple wrap, chicken with lettuce and tomatoes, along with a bag of chips and a bottle of water. Pretty simple, but it did the job. However, we were supposed to get chocolate chip cookies with it, and never did. I'm lodging a formal complaint with management as we speak.

Meanwhile, we could sit back and enjoy the ride and the gorgeous mountains surrounding us.

AM-JKLVuAOFk99_L22s7uneZf3O7Vv3VuQ_C5OWbNDqGLlOgFStPdqc8meWX_fl32_4I0CgIzWHShM1IQgZJWp5w0fuMJPc2OqcTHFQidrNflkRQL2MTa5czzGc1X7e0FCw1QJKVeEOPYigIWFHkmdsNmd4yZg=w1316-h877-no

Did you spot the bear?

AM-JKLXQfGOutZf_VJVDU8dvcltEkDgHtI4AM-kqnkbhOQ7f4iFf9xgcdz2TGEO4hux3u7tTq9EbbBQW-_7EPRx26_SG0R8mqo0ba4pANTWyZGlIO75G6FZAaJX58jz7OyibybXf9zAvcaeIEOJcEO8xqQdDcg=w1316-h877-no

He was just moseying along the shore, turning over rocks and looking for some goodies to munch on. One day in Alaska, and we’ve already seen humpback whales, mountain goats and a bear. I’d say we’re doing pretty well.

The more we sailed into the bay, the more the mountains were revealed to us. It was breathtaking.

AM-JKLVUtx_1IwhlO-JQ9neYRS9zFgVW3VWD6vYiULy0RyfcQOruFpMTuWPw4-tAf-SRRCDtO6dvbWnsXgw3DRgtx_-ZhXzfCEKzvPMbkQbJ2dZuVdkCfs9zzlvrqcJAXO6OqN1Jf841i0L6es5I7NEejUtxYg=w1522-h857-no

But also a little windy.

AM-JKLVvQqrMl65jhsbZJ5wjwYzhML-Q2Y_8jNduHsOHl7Fo_DhIgEbHjaxZtaF0Ceom5FDoMwahmEPLWVq8ZEmaSmW97oMDzIBCgZS-8UF9HimfY7COgBVrevZDKbE_L-gMmA8M75NiJfMml84quANZYCREZQ=w1170-h877-no

At the far end of Glacier Bay, we finally reached some of the famous tidewater glaciers. To our right was the Grand Pacific Glacier, mostly covered in a surface of dark rocks that it has slowly scraped off the sides of the valley. From here, we were looking into Canada, as the border is just beyond this point.

AM-JKLWv1_9EXBT63SBvnyFl5NM-HwWUJ725TpKtAtpOG_u5eESypCNbQU0Jh3ia7WBkJiSzWQ7qRX3YdtN40_EPN5N7UMJmTJRP4rQz_IdjWt07fEIvFEd7X2xxv4wzyw44SyMGra4SqJNNcttyUckaiZUIAQ=w1316-h877-no

And to our left was the Margerie Glacier.

AM-JKLWzE5Bm7J0JSLKXQK6DlgrHDHoDX0MV9zjWDbCwhQbT2S57XL3IjGffrn2GLACd5qDBghPqlzCZNdwA8uCGxMSjl0WRlZ9OLSYUbj8LA2Nl0b4026joCAFR3Z00FeurPry9yGKBFZZBNfhh07lD9vgv3g=w1170-h877-no

AM-JKLWWpfpl6k92w8FyqXT2QTUCZTCPIG3La51HDdZnFG06ZgmDGP5lB_ARTr7AZtm0xpp1qPHXesdmXWl4P67yMu3gjnc0k3YgDtF2SFxlNNPnZWpQo-uOT-FxuttUFk9i6izI93CwgFSvW7HtcU0AXK7o8g=w1170-h877-no

We floated here, roughly a quarter mile from the edge of the glacier, for about a half hour or so. We were just drifting along, hoping to see the glacier calving into the sea (“calving” is when parts of the glacier break off due to its movement and the sun melting the ice at the edge). Mostly there are just little pieces that fall off here or there, but every once in a while you can see a large chunk break off and fall, and the sound of the rumble is impressively loud, even from a quarter mile away.

However, it’s very hard to capture in a photo. We learned that if you hear the rumble and the splash, you’re already too late to catch it, as the calving has already occurred.

I did see one large chunk fall not long after we’d stopped, but wasn’t fast enough for a photo. Again, that’s ok. I can say I saw it with my own eyes.

It’s hard to get an idea of the size of these glaciers, but they are massive—close to a mile wide and several miles long. Here are some kayakers in front to give a bit of scale. Remember, they’re still a quarter mile away from the glacier like the rest of us.

AM-JKLUilCUp8E9aWrEQPWQ_5J6m9bww9NXJDqX3DjAr9FcqvTfLhjwpkRTNftDU9WpL7AVGcr0lfAo_kl2VDtQkj9I09u2O-51QaMHmmmCwQIwzg9lxhCv9ZgqgJ3XbqsY3EMTOcbSihwwbJYodTVlmRo-ngw=w1170-h877-no

Eventually we turned around and started to sail back through the bay. We didn’t stop as frequently for wildlife on the way back, but instead just relaxed and took in the eye candy. I was content to take it all in, spellbound.

AM-JKLVtmGdzT_6vLMXMqmZpYOd6afJRlxzJekeXP3YaKlaa95eyyONm9xW9-3aMBwjB55NmvPkbtlZtlmRS5C4VMM62szzUqNZuhVTrnH6TKDRsXxjCG8BtaYkQV2Q0aJd1z2mltN8QNPAfC6O5srm46mNF7w=w1170-h877-no

We made one more stop at the Lamplugh Glacier, where we could see a hint of the typical “blue ice” often found in glaciers.

AM-JKLU9mCrKQfO_zm6vlor5QKdUv9dkTSZRxu9Pgsgh7HTgYTE9Y4VmgFpIJX0TYyN1GYRAWAB5w6uuSByzLZOfR_-YF77ae6e7Tr2jhydWZQGSObWzHVSrthC6JBM3H3c-hTp_G3k0YMPcbE3S2kePTF70IQ=w1316-h877-no

AM-JKLUivGID7wUA768GlIiXyBweXOZdYtmR3btZmB2Wg1TJTRCCRwWt8z2UX-1CosztwWsQdlWIQwAGK9Xois8ZjSAmGBxKc3RBLKiPJIuxoKiFH0Rl4h7tcL4R57L-VFd9zm3PHp07ex_A34iiAqgrodN-Mg=w1170-h877-no

AM-JKLW2sBd3vNlLxFOuZ5M-P-kfCoTlTrUZDOC-I1rHRhRQOgj4oYh74koJG92mB0EW4b_A6TtmTo_IQt4I-FxF3GeJCHKO30EIF1qDkWxpdK2xsdXKjLlR4OJCVjEQapSUcuMN1OSk0twmtwui17f7Quej9A=w1170-h877-no

We had one final piece of business before arriving back at the dock in Bartlett Cove. Drew worked diligently on his Junior Ranger activity book and finished it off as we sailed back. The park ranger swore him into service and even announced him as the newest Junior Ranger on the boat’s speaker system. He seemed pretty proud of his accomplishment.

AM-JKLVxbz3ZWqh8uqRAYOQ52inqvNxJFpfIHM2gQONk8q0ploS594fpjzJuHMUu8laAtEWNTRQU5Be5Ig1Fnwhss12SgkowoyLTb60ThPCcdGj39EATpUUuX24vU-2X8l_2wkQ2o3KaOP5bqNgjZgFjx-brWg=w658-h877-no

AM-JKLUh3MnL_SqkJaJo6b1xDAxvYj2x31BHGNTl_-eV97xlh0FFeVyQONbMJLfLfXe3nhgZ4IjIv8TO03wnQWU8NUAKN0SzjbZENNORp4Fhpj5JyT6YMPlZI6WOHB-FSk7tJhQhOP7Ur-DuN0D716qJbH7IuQ=w1170-h877-no

When we arrived back at the dock, we walked up the hill to the lodge to meet the shuttle that would take us back to the airport. True to their word, all of our bags were already loaded and ready to go.

The bus was surprisingly full, and we arrived back at the airport to find that the line to check bags was already out the door of the small Alaska Airlines building.

It was a complete and utter madhouse. The automated machine to print bag tags was out of paper, so everyone had to bring their luggage inside and have the attendant check them in. On top of that, the entire airport had 4 employees working for Alaska Airlines, and they were responsible for checking bags, performing the TSA inspection of said bags, and then checking in passengers and performing the security screenings of all of us. It reminded me of those old gags about out-of-the way hotels where a guest asks to speak to the manager or requests a plumber and they’re all the same employee.

On top of all that, the x-ray machines were down so the workers had to inspect each piece of luggage by hand.

About this same time, the flight from Juneau arrived and the passengers disembarked and all hung around the baggage claim shed waiting to claim their luggage. I felt like the entire population of Gustavus was now gathered in this one airport building.

AM-JKLWE3sbjiq1lLRGc8Emqsk6qNeN6DT8Qjg56wuiwB0XURn8Ac2ymA5diXaN5fhbTk2gi9LShkXAR0EsKN9FkSWHD4YT4CiyVgZOrF38D2PrJYN4nwW59-NMNso8yA9TnodrcV3mIMij_2dR95g4nMj67wA=w1170-h877-no

Once we’d passed through the TSA checkpoint and the body scanner, we were all crammed into a little tiny bullpen surrounded by chicken wire. This was the “gate” where we waited to board the plane. We all got a huge laugh when they attempted to start boarding the plane by calling for their first-class passengers, Diamond Club members, etc. It's a bit surreal to be crammed into an ugly fenced-in area no larger than my garage and ask the people next to you, "Pardon me, but are you in the Diamond Club?"

I half expected a guy in full camo gear and riding an ATV to come up and offer caviar and wine out of his backpack.

Anyway, we dutifully waited until our proper boarding group was called and then began the highly sophisticated process of boarding the plane.

AM-JKLVciUeBTbHbAtMP8fIm2_sLWMl0C6xq652gIwANrlcfkL10H97eEVcqi_i8kmrhyfmM_QZfFreaiOrbxv8o4T82gxHUVZcEvfN7OMyUWvkzqsUsEzlKS_tGcq67Su5uAubt-FNI-Hej9ShyTGobgbCAlQ=w1170-h877-no

The flight to Juneau was such a short hop that we’d barely leveled out the plane before we were once again beginning the final descent. We had a couple of hours’ layover in Juneau, which meant we’d have to scrounge for dinner among the myriad options at that world-famous dining hotspot, the Juneau airport.

And by “myriad”, I mean one.

The Juneau airport café had a small seating area surrounding the food counter, plus a side room that was only for individuals aged 21 and over since it housed the bar. We saw one enterprising couple station their kids in the main seating area within their sight line and then find themselves to a seat in the bar.

There were 7 menu items helpfully displayed on the signs above the counter where we placed our orders.

When we reached the counter, the clerk informed us that they were out of pizzas, salads, and burgers.

My apologies. There were 4 menu items.

And that was how it came to pass that I had a sausage, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich for dinner, washed down with a lemonade from the vending area.

AM-JKLWDStKqTX6MNLTQlCg9sZD4Endo8eSdHejCkGh_xQWrmKgwlcYbJ5cgUUk-y669JJp-DVa_xCfktaIlgCXctYuh-7P3BChkQa5UyCzl0Hg__cnbuuo1HKq3klgMpgUavXHgL50HM1lW9NPJklPSo0LWBw=w1170-h877-no

Suffice it to say that this was the least memorable meal of our vacation. But beggars can’t be choosers.

The flight to Juneau was uneventful, and it made for another long day as we landed in Anchorage around 10:30 p.m., ready to find our hotel and go to bed as we stumbled off the plane and into the twilight of late evening.

AM-JKLVwCzB6PK_eoX1FtxtDZXgao66xIhr58yzXumj5unFUAh1O5gH-WQkNeHbYdeZ5KQ7Bl8UDvHSGxjgwNL0QWe7TSiI0sAQCzIme52_s87qtkWsi6dmUGmnkzfY-DUe6BfgLyEvHCMpTiANGGBAe8SGGjw=w1170-h877-no

I’m not gonna lie—this was weird. I’d never experience bright sunlight at night before, and I can’t say I really ever got used to it. It definitely messes with your internal body clock. Thank goodness the hotels all had pretty decent blackout shades on the windows, because they were definitely needed.

I’d read a lot of horror stories about car rentals over the summer, as the pent-up demand for travel after the pandemic and the shortage of car supply meant all of the rental companies were running out of vehicles. I’d made my reservation back in the December/January time frame, before we even knew we’d be able to go on this trip. I was betting on a vaccine being available, and it turned out to be a good gamble because a) it was indeed available, and b) I got a good price on the minivan and held onto the reservation.

My one fear was that they’d give the van away and we’d be stranded at the Anchorage airport at 11 p.m., but it turned out to not be an issue. They honored the reservation and had the minivan ready for us.

At 11:15 p.m., the sun was just starting to set. We were well asleep when it rose again, at 3:30 a.m.

AM-JKLXxPVPJr9dinAPklU9V-W4ZIBTN37b0iSbNQRBZoOM54LKmhisQCZhMlHfODeWJhwN7-LlveB878jz762uyk9GumBC-GlSdl-ytX7JY5g75d_enoorZIS4psv7cuz4l19Cx_XKhgjvqwE6OXO4oRXZOjA=w1412-h878-no

Coming Up Next: Two days in, and we’re already scrapping our plans.

Not a bad way to look at it. But it's a lot more expensive than Google. :laughing:
True. :)
We learned early on that if you want to see something in Alaska, you most likely have to pay someone else to take you there. I read a statistic that said roughly 20% of all communities in Alaska are accessible by road, meaning…

(carry the one…)

I'm surprised you can come to the right answer using a base of 11.
…80% of communities can only be reached by boat or plane.
Lived in one of those.
It has also been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site and is named for the nine tidewater glaciers (and over 1,000 glaciers overall) found within its borders.
!! Had no idea! Thought it was just one main one and a few (very few) smaller ones.
the park itself is roughly the size of the state of Connecticut.
Many people have no idea of the size of things, due to Mercator map projections.
Alaska is huge. People talk about Texas being big, but it fits comfortably inside Alaska.
Here's a size corrected view of Alaska with Texas overtop in blue (with Connecticut in red too.)

(Thanks to The True Size Of ... )
Still being somewhat used to East Coast time, it was relatively easy for us to Rope Drop the breakfast buffet.
Because Rope Drop always works.
It was a pretty decent breakfast spread, too.
Looks good... but I got my eye on that Danish.
You can have everything from bright sunlight to drizzly fog to murky cloud cover to torrential storms, often all in the same day.
Which is pretty cool in and of itself, actually.
Great shot of you guys. :)
The lodge was really helpful with this. They had a storage area near the front desk where they would collect our bags and hold them. When we returned from the boat, they’d already be loaded onto the bus for the return to the airport.
Not bad. Pretty good service for up North.
The sightseeing cruise was scheduled to leave at 7:30 a.m. and return at 3:30 p.m.
Thank goodness it wasn't a 3 hour tour.

(say it. You know you want to say it...)
In addition, there was a national park ranger on board who would be narrating the cruise and providing context to the sights we beheld.
Nice. :)
well over $3,000. Easily the most expensive part of the trip. This was our big splurge.

And it ended up being totally worth it.
Wow! Not too many times you can say that.
We began the day by drifting past some sea otters, lazily doing the backstroke.
Cool! I've only seen them in captivity.
This was followed soon after by a seal getting some morning exercise.
Huh! I have seen plenty of seals... but never one jumping out of the water like that.
Then you'd just have to elbow people out of the way in order to get a good photo. I tended to try and shove the kids away, since I'm bigger.
Um... dude? You need to look a bit more closely at those family photos. You may outweigh them right now... but pretty soon, your boys are gonna push back.

:rolleyes1
Ok, I can see you yawning. I guess you’re not impressed by puffins.
Oh, no. I'm very familiar with puffin. I do that every time I run.

Or bend over to put on my socks.
We stopped on the northeastern shore to drop off some people who were planning on staying a couple of nights, doing some camping and kayaking on their own.
Okay... I'd love to do that. Didn't even know that could be done.
The clouds were still low on the mountains, but check out that color in the water from all of the glacial silt.
Gorgeous. Seriously. Seen similar while driving the Columbia Icefield Parkway. The colour of the water never gets old.
We noticed that the colors taken with our phones (they’re fairly new) were much more vivid than those we got with the “good” camera. I think that probably has something to do with the automatic software settings in the phone camera.
Your camera is set to 18% grey. I use a colour checker when doing serious shoots and then adjust afterwards in photoshop. You can make similar adjustments in camera by adding (or subtracting) stops, but it's more guesswork (or a lot of experience) that way.
Thar be whales.

Humpback whales, to be exact
Cool!
I’d estimate we saw roughly two dozen whales over the course of the day.
Far more than I thought you'd see. I figured you'd be lucky to see maybe one or two.
We even saw a couple of them “breach”
Cool! I've seen humpbacks, but never seen a breach.
It was mesmerizing. I couldn’t get enough of them.
I've seen humpbacks, orcas and belugas... it never gets old.
The boat crew began to prepare lunch for us. And as if on cue, the clouds began to dissipate, revealing Glacier Bay in all of its grandeur.
Holy crap... I won't quote every photo, but.... WOW.
Just... stunning. Absolutely stunning.
Great shot of you two. :)
Lunch consisted of a simple wrap, chicken with lettuce and tomatoes, along with a bag of chips and a bottle of water. Pretty simple, but it did the job. However, we were supposed to get chocolate chip cookies with it, and never did. I'm lodging a formal complaint with management as we speak.
I'd demand a full refund for the cost of the entire trip. Or at least that $3,000 portion.
Did you spot the bear?
Bear??? My eye was immediately drawn to the peaks. I ain't got time for minutiae in all that grandeur!!!
One day in Alaska, and we’ve already seen humpback whales, mountain goats and a bear. I’d say we’re doing pretty well.
No kidding!!
Breathtaking. Seriously.
But also a little windy.
From here, we were looking into Canada, as the border is just beyond this point.
I had no idea. I took a closer look on Google maps. Interesting!
Such a cool shot. I love all the compressed layers at the bottom and how it contrasts with the fractured top.
every once in a while you can see a large chunk break off and fall, and the sound of the rumble is impressively loud, even from a quarter mile away.
Man, I need to experience this.
It’s hard to get an idea of the size of these glaciers, but they are massive—close to a mile wide and several miles long. Here are some kayakers in front to give a bit of scale. Remember, they’re still a quarter mile away from the glacier like the rest of us.
whoa...
I was content to take it all in, spellbound.
I can only imagine!
We had one final piece of business before arriving back at the dock in Bartlett Cove. Drew worked diligently on his Junior Ranger activity book and finished it off as we sailed back.
:thumbsup2
Look at that smile. :goodvibes
It was a complete and utter madhouse. The automated machine to print bag tags was out of paper, so everyone had to bring their luggage inside and have the attendant check them in.
oh geez...
It reminded me of those old gags about out-of-the way hotels where a guest asks to speak to the manager or requests a plumber and they’re all the same employee.
On top of all that, the x-ray machines were down so the workers had to inspect each piece of luggage by hand.
Of course they were down. This is de rigeur in the north.
About this same time, the flight from Juneau arrived and the passengers disembarked and all hung around the baggage claim shed waiting to claim their luggage. I felt like the entire population of Gustavus was now gathered in this one airport building.
:crowded:
It's a bit surreal to be crammed into an ugly fenced-in area no larger than my garage and ask the people next to you, "Pardon me, but are you in the Diamond Club?"
I half expected a guy in full camo gear and riding an ATV to come up and offer caviar and wine out of his backpack.
More likely a beer and smoked salmon.
::yes:: Boarded many a plane that way.
we’d have to scrounge for dinner among the myriad options at that world-famous dining hotspot, the Juneau airport.

And by “myriad”, I mean one.
You're lucky there was even one.
When we reached the counter, the clerk informed us that they were out of pizzas, salads, and burgers.

My apologies. There were 4 menu items.
And that was how it came to pass that I had a sausage, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich for dinner, washed down with a lemonade from the vending area.
And I bet you appreciated it too!
it made for another long day as we landed in Anchorage around 10:30 p.m.,
:faint: And you guys probably still jet-lagged...
I’m not gonna lie—this was weird. I’d never experience bright sunlight at night before, and I can’t say I really ever got used to it. It definitely messes with your internal body clock.
It's just... so.... different isn't it?
My one fear was that they’d give the van away and we’d be stranded at the Anchorage airport at 11 p.m., but it turned out to not be an issue.
Phew!
At 11:15 p.m., the sun was just starting to set. We were well asleep when it rose again, at 3:30 a.m.
Familiar with that. I haven't experienced the midnight sun, but I did work the night shift...
Watched the sun s l o w l y sink below the horizon at 10:30pm... and come up again at 4am.
Two days in, and we’re already scrapping our plans.
Hmmm... that can go either way... popcorn::

Or the local drug store, if you don't mind the markup.

Fran will drive miles out of our way to get a better price on an item that is less than $5. :laughing:

I used to fly almost exclusively Southwest, but they no longer are the "discount" carrier.

We now fly Southwest exclusively 1) because of their "person of size policy". That way it makes up for not flying First Class on points anymore. Although we don't get the free alcohol and meals on Southwest. I can live with that. 2) We have companion status and I am her companion so any plane she gets on, I can ride for free. It expires at the end of the year, but I've projected our spending and we should have companion status for 2022 by November at the latest.

Their prices for flights are often worse than the other airlines now, to the point where it's cheaper for me to pay the bag fees. Six tickets add up quickly. I can still find cheap rates on Southwest, but it's usually for flights with multiple stops or those that arrive at 1:30 a.m.

I can see that with six tickets. With two tickets and one that gets refunded after the flight, the free bags probably seal the deal, not to mention the free ticket for me!

(carry the one…)

:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Glacier Bay National Park has no roads. Most visitors arrive via cruise ship, as the park allows some of the cruise lines to sail a limited number of dates in park waters during the summer. The more adventurous (and rich) tourists can hire private planes for flightseeing excursions out of Juneau or Haines/Skagway. And the third option is to stay at the Glacier Bay Lodge and take their guided 8-hour boat tour of the bay.

There were some affordable flighseeing excursions out of Juneau, cause I took one, but we didn't see Glacier Bay.

It was a pretty decent breakfast spread, too.

Looks like it!

Given that we were going to be on a boat moving through glacial waters, we broke out the cold weather gear.

Smart! I know when we got up all close and personal to the glacier it was freakin' cold!

We walked down the path to the dock. Here’s our cruise vessel. We boarded and headed for the second deck, grabbing some seats there and hoping for some good views. As you can see from the photo, visibility wasn’t great at this time of the morning.

That looks pretty much like the one we had on our Alaskan Cruise. There was a special excursion where you could get on a smaller vessel that would go up closer to the glacier and take you into smaller inlets in Endicott Arm. It looks like it is the same company as well.

So, we have an 8-hour tour, narrated by a national park ranger, and they included lunch as part of the deal (and some crappy coffee). All in all, I would estimate that the two rooms at the lodge, plus the boat tour, plus the cost of flying in and out of Gustavus was probably well over $3,000. Easily the most expensive part of the trip. This was our big splurge.

That's a lot of money for a 24 hour period, but when you break it down to $500pp that could be what the private plane from Juneau might have cost for an hour or two. You got and entire experience where you were out there with the wind blowing in your face and hair. Plus Drew got his badge!

This was the setup for wildlife viewing on the boat. The main viewing area was on the second deck, behind where we had set up camp indoors. The third deck was closed until we got close to some wildlife, and then the captain would slow the boat and they’d open that area up for photos and viewing as well. Then you'd just have to elbow people out of the way in order to get a good photo. I tended to try and shove the kids away, since I'm bigger.

Our boat was the same way, when I was looking for the picture, I found where I had taken pics of the folks coming down from the third level so we could get going again.

check out that color in the water from all of the glacial silt.

That is pretty!

You’ll notice some differences in the photos I post. We noticed that the colors taken with our phones (they’re fairly new) were much more vivid than those we got with the “good” camera. I think that probably has something to do with the automatic software settings in the phone camera. It seems to be set to make the colors pop out more. But the zoom feature on the phone is still crappy and breaks down in quality almost immediately, so we were glad to have the other camera with the zoom lens, especially for wildlife. So, if the photo appears more colorful, it was from our phones, but if it has more detail (especially in a zoom) it was the Nikon.

I started reading this update from my phone, and it was when I read this that I put it down and decided to finish on the computer. I couldn't even tell any difference in the pictures on the phone nor could I tell what the puffin was, so I waited until later to actually check it out.

Humpback whales, to be exact. And once we’d started finding them, they seemed to pop up all over the bay. Every time someone would spot the “spouts”, we’d rush to that side of the boat to watch as the whales came up for air. I’d estimate we saw roughly two dozen whales over the course of the day. We even saw a couple of them “breach” (that is, leap out of the water), though we weren’t fast enough to capture it on camera. But it was enough for us to be able to say we saw these majestic creatures out in the wild.

Totally cool!

So beautiful!

Did you spot the bear?

Not until I looked from the computer!

He was just moseying along the shore, turning over rocks and looking for some goodies to munch on. One day in Alaska, and we’ve already seen humpback whales, mountain goats and a bear. I’d say we’re doing pretty well.

You forgot about the Puffin.

I remember when we were on the cruise ship. We had booked the 2nd small vessel excursion and from the cruise ship I could see that boat in front of the glacier and it looked like a toy. When our turn came it was amazing just how small we were in comparison to the glacier.

Drew worked diligently on his Junior Ranger activity book and finished it off as we sailed back. The park ranger swore him into service and even announced him as the newest Junior Ranger on the boat’s speaker system. He seemed pretty proud of his accomplishment.

He looks so proud!

It was a complete and utter madhouse. The automated machine to print bag tags was out of paper, so everyone had to bring their luggage inside and have the attendant check them in. On top of that, the entire airport had 4 employees working for Alaska Airlines, and they were responsible for checking bags, performing the TSA inspection of said bags, and then checking in passengers and performing the security screenings of all of us.

Ugh. I can't imagine. And you probably weren't all that rested up.

The flight to Juneau was such a short hop that we’d barely leveled out the plane before we were once again beginning the final descent. We had a couple of hours’ layover in Juneau, which meant we’d have to scrounge for dinner among the myriad options at that world-famous dining hotspot, the Juneau airport.

So did you spend any time in Juneau? I think I would like to spend time there if we ever went back to Alaska.

Breakfa er....dinner of Champions!

The flight to Juneau was uneventful, and it made for another long day as we landed in Anchorage around 10:30 p.m., ready to find our hotel and go to bed as we stumbled off the plane and into the twilight of late evening.

Ugh, I don't remember it being that light that late, but we were a month later. I think you guys were there for the Summer Solstice right?

I’m not gonna lie—this was weird.

I believe you!

My one fear was that they’d give the van away and we’d be stranded at the Anchorage airport at 11 p.m., but it turned out to not be an issue. They honored the reservation and had the minivan ready for us.

At least you had that going for you. Which is nice.

(carry the one…)

…80% of communities can only be reached by boat or plane. And since we are not boat captains or pilots, we need someone else to help us explore.

I teach middle school math, and I'm reasonably certain that your calculations are correct.

I've always assumed that if I ever made it to Alaska myself, it would be on a cruise, but pictures like this one are making me second guess myself. It must have been awfully nice to be able to devote so much time to such a beautiful place and to not have to worry about the scheduling limitations inherent in cruising.

I'm surprised you can come to the right answer using a base of 11.

The extra digit isn't very useful. I really need another arm.

Lived in one of those.

I don't know if I could handle that. I like being connected to civilization, or at least able to travel easily.

!! Had no idea! Thought it was just one main one and a few (very few) smaller ones.

I'm going off of Wikipedia, which of course is never wrong.

Many people have no idea of the size of things, due to Mercator map projections.
Alaska is huge. People talk about Texas being big, but it fits comfortably inside Alaska.
Here's a size corrected view of Alaska with Texas overtop in blue (with Connecticut in red too.)

(Thanks to The True Size Of ... )

It really is massive. I think the total area was equal to twice the size of Texas, which maybe seems a bit off given the map but not terribly so. I saw this map quite a bit:

U.S.+History+Wall+Maps+-+U.S.+Expansion+%26+Alaska+Purchase.jpg

Looks good... but I got my eye on that Danish.

It was all good. The bacon was a pleasant surprise too, nice and thick. Usually hotels give you that paper-thin stringy junk.

Which is pretty cool in and of itself, actually.

Sure! Unless you want good sightseeing photos. Then it can be irritating.

Great shot of you guys. :)

Thanks!

Not bad. Pretty good service for up North.

We were very happy not to have to lug our bags onto the bus.

Thank goodness it wasn't a 3 hour tour.

(say it. You know you want to say it...)

A 3 hour tour?

I did reference that in the previous chapter, you know...

Wow! Not too many times you can say that.

Alison broke it down, saying it was basically $500/person for flights, lodging and the boat. It sounds better that way.

Cool! I've only seen them in captivity.

Up to that point, it had been the same for me.

Huh! I have seen plenty of seals... but never one jumping out of the water like that.

Usually when I see them, they're sleeping on rocks.

Oh, no. I'm very familiar with puffin. I do that every time I run.

Or bend over to put on my socks.

Better than puffin the magic dragon, I assume.

Okay... I'd love to do that. Didn't even know that could be done.

I didn't research it heavily, because it's not possible at the moment with the family. But I would assume you need permits for the backcountry.
Part of the fun of these parks is getting away from people or going to places that others rarely set foot. I can definitely see the appeal.

Gorgeous. Seriously. Seen similar while driving the Columbia Icefield Parkway. The colour of the water never gets old.

Not at all! We are also always mesmerized by the clarity of the water in the lakes and streams.

Your camera is set to 18% grey. I use a colour checker when doing serious shoots and then adjust afterwards in photoshop. You can make similar adjustments in camera by adding (or subtracting) stops, but it's more guesswork (or a lot of experience) that way.

Thanks! I remember with our old camera we had learned to "stop it down" a couple notches but I don't know how to do that on the latest one. I probably need to read up. It would be nice to get more pops of color.

Of course, the phone camera is probably a bit too vivid compared to what we actually saw.

Far more than I thought you'd see. I figured you'd be lucky to see maybe one or two.

I would have been thrilled to see one or two! There are never any guarantees. The way they just kept popping up in various places was pretty special.

Cool! I've seen humpbacks, but never seen a breach.

It was far away, but so cool!

I've seen humpbacks, orcas and belugas... it never gets old.

Not in the least.

Holy crap... I won't quote every photo, but.... WOW.

That's what I was saying, too.

Just... stunning. Absolutely stunning.

I was running out of adjectives.

Great shot of you two. :)

Thank you, sir.

I'd demand a full refund for the cost of the entire trip. Or at least that $3,000 portion.

I could see the cookies behind the counter. Thought about stealing some. But I'm too much of a rule-follower.

Bear??? My eye was immediately drawn to the peaks. I ain't got time for minutiae in all that grandeur!!!

I can't blame you for being distracted.

Breathtaking. Seriously.

Agreed.

I had no idea. I took a closer look on Google maps. Interesting!

I didn't know we were that close to the border until the ranger mentioned it during one of her talks.

Such a cool shot. I love all the compressed layers at the bottom and how it contrasts with the fractured top.

It's pretty incredible to see them from the air and how they stretch for so many miles. Forces of nature that we can't really comprehend. They literally shape the mountains.

Man, I need to experience this.

It's highly recommended! I wish I'd been able to get good photos/video, but you just have to be lucky.

Look at that smile. :goodvibes

I think he's a bit proud of himself. Maybe a little.

Of course they were down. This is de rigeur in the north.

I'm kind of amazed we all got on the plane with relatively little delay.

More likely a beer and smoked salmon.

Many of us would have preferred that.

Boarded many a plane that way.

I think it's kinda cool. Like I said, I take some pride in getting to these hard-to-reach places. I like the challenge.

You're lucky there was even one.

::yes:: And that it was open.

And I bet you appreciated it too!

I mean, it's hard to screw up a breakfast sandwich. And we were all hungry. So it solved that problem.

And you guys probably still jet-lagged...

::yes:: Still much easier adjusting when traveling west, though. I hate coming back east.

It's just... so.... different isn't it?

Very different. My body really didn't know what to do with itself. I guess...I try to sleep now?

Familiar with that. I haven't experienced the midnight sun, but I did work the night shift...
Watched the sun s l o w l y sink below the horizon at 10:30pm... and come up again at 4am.

That arrival late in Anchorage was our closest taste of midnight sun. Just surreal.

Hmmm... that can go either way... popcorn::

We shall see...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter