The Final Frontier (An Alaska Trip Report - UPDATED 4/25)

This is not helpful when you’re relying on your phone running Google Maps while you drive long distances in an unfamiliar place. Suddenly I was without any technological help.

We had that problem on our road trip to Arizona and Utah. Turns out the Indian Nation has a completely different cell service than the rest of America, so no service on Indian lands....where we spent a lot of time.

And I used (the horror!) paper maps.

Which is why Fran always makes me go to AAA and get the maps where we plan to drive.

For such a valuable asset, it’s a bit surprising that you can just walk right up underneath it and touch it.

Really! Maybe they have some kind of superpower guarding it.

If you look closely at the photo, you can see an additional aspect of the design: the pipe itself is sitting on a little support structure that slides on a rail. This was added along with a zig-zag design in order to make the pipeline as earthquake-proof as possible. It allows some flexibility in case, you know, the ground starts moving.

That would be good since I believe that largest earthquake on record happened up there.

From the viewpoint, we were less than 200 miles from the Arctic Circle. All it would have taken is violating the rental car agreement and subjecting ourselves to a remote road with no services and no rescue and constant showers of gravel from trucks going 70 mph as they passed us.

Oh, so no big deal? :duck:

Terrific for a free information center—it felt like they put real time and effort into making them informative and attractive.

Of course, I didn’t take any photos.

Of course not.....

I did appreciate the attention to detail in this one, though.

I can see why that one would appeal to you. :laughing:

When we got back to the parking lot, we were starting to get hungry for dinner. So was this squirrel, apparently, since he was making a meal of all the bug guts on the front of our rental.

Ewww.....but I guess it was a super buffet to him!

Just a mile away was the 49th State Brewing Company restaurant, where we had a reservation for dinner. Word to the wise: make sure you make a reservation here if you want to go. It’s the only place around for miles, and it’s good—so it’s extremely popular. We saw buses dropping off tour groups here.

Duly noted, though I doubt we will every make it there.

After a while, we began to wonder what was taking so long. I went back to the desk to ask about our table, and they said they’d sent the text 15 minutes ago. By now, they’d given the table away.

I pulled out my phone and saw no text message. But then I saw the problem—No Service.

That might be a flaw in the whole text message system. Or maybe my cell carrier had struck again.

Yeah, that can be a problem.

Scott and Sarah got a skllet of mac and cheese (with steak and bacon) to share. Also a good call.

That definitely looks good.

Dave got the King Crabby grilled cheese, which was a grilled cheese sandwich featuring crab meat. He loved it.

Interesting combination, but I see where it could be tasty!

And Julie got the Savage River flatbread, which featured pulled pork, pineapple, cheese, and crispy onions. She found it disappointing

I would have been disappointed too, but had the sense not to order it and avert the crisis! :lmao:

I couldn’t get over the fact that I had been promised a pie. In my world, pie is superior to cake in every way.

I completely understand this, when you a promised one thing and another is substituted or misrepresented it's not nice.

So when I think I’m getting Patrick Mahomes and I end up with Kirk Cousins, yeah…I’m going to be a little disappointed.

Even though you tried to make it as basic as possible, I still really did not understand a bit of this sports metaphor. :sad2:

They do sell some tickets on the day of the tour, but I wasn’t going to take any chances of being shut out for the one day we were there.

Best not to chance that one for sure.

This involved riding in a glorified school bus for 66 miles (one-way) along a rickety dirt road cut high into the side of mountains with no guardrail and barely enough room to pass any other buses coming the other direction. What could go wrong?

I've seen what can go wrong in Ecuador on a road much like this one, but steeper. It didn't end well, unfortunately. :(

I booked the 7:00 a.m. bus tour for a few reasons. One, I wanted to have the best possible chance of seeing the mountains, and my experience is that typically humidity and clouds build up throughout the day, so the best chance of a clear view is earlier in the day. It’s not a foolproof idea, but I was just playing the odds. The same is generally true for wildlife sightings. Secondly, I was following the Rope Drop Always Works rule, which states that rope drop always works. And third, I didn’t want to get back late in the day and not be able to get into a restaurant anywhere.

AND, (and I already had my comment in my head BEFORE I got to the end!) you have a better chance of place not being sold out of pie at the end of the day!
By 6:45 a.m., we were all checked in and waiting outside in line for the bus. Our chariot arrived about ten minutes before departure time.

AM-JKLVW5Xb8YmvGuxVyCBEr_eeafCgmKXaeBAJR16eKmJriU0AnLAD5IgkC2dRnFf1twiW-hMmC93EbfMPnE5Pr49B4CF81UOI15CYwGbwR0j_PGJmjeTP3BnKqyjglvpOh65Vw75kq73o-SGBfnzD7hiT2bQ=w1168-h877-no
Hey kids, stay in school. This is what prison buses look like.

Also, there is no food or water inside the park. You must bring any snacks and drinks in with you, and of course take it all out when you leave. So if you didn't pack a lunch, you're gonna have a long day.

I see PB&Js in your near future (also called this one before the end of the update!)
These are Dall Sheep, an all-white bighorn sheep species that is native to northwestern Canada and Alaska.
Rounding another corner, we spotted a brown bear snacking on plants along a hillside.

2/4!

And yes, we did end up having to pass another bus at one point, which was a bit hair-raising. Julie shut her eyes and white-knuckled it through the maneuver, but the driver was a pro and everything went smoothly.

I know this feeling. Hyperventilating is also part of this scenario.
Just gorgeous!
Further down the road, we saw some caribou taking a break in a river valley. The four main animals we were looking for were bears, Dall sheep, caribou, and moose, and we’d already crossed three of them off the list.

3/4!!

Is that a Grizzly? Looks like it with the "hump"?
a picnic lunch (no points for guessing the menu)

You are taking all the fun out of this!

But once again, they had changed their hours due to COVID, and were closed on Mondays. Of course, this was a Monday.

Of course it was!!
KNEW IT!!!! 100% called this!

Or you can walk.
Sure, you'll die in the attempt... but you can do it.

Technically, yes, this is all true.

Well, how many roads do you need anyways? You can only be on one at a time anyways, ya know. Sheesh.

Now that is a very profound statement.

Okay... there's an actual lottery do drive here? I'm a bit surprised that there are that many requests to do so that 1. they have to have a lottery and 2. they have to limit it.

There is! It's only for 4-day window in September. Otherwise access is limited to the buses and tour operators. Looks like they cancelled it this year due to a landslide on the road.

Denali Road Lottery

:sad2:
This pandemic is not a lot of fun.

Not in any way, shape or form.

Meh. Driven that sort of thing often enough. You get used to it.

I'm sure you do. The drivers seemed to be just fine.

Toasted???

Whoa, let's not get carried away here.

Actually... that's a cool looking bus. I like it. :)

It certainly worked for us!

Also keep your arms and legs on.

Always a good idea.

Cool! Never seen one outside of a zoo.

That was a first for me!

hours??????????? :faint:

Yeah...hope you don't have any other plans.

Thanks for the tip. And... seems obvious in retrospect.

They must get people to pay for that other tour, but the price difference is striking.

I have every confidence that copious PB&J sandwiches were packed.

Are we that predictable?

::yes::
And in winter... you can actually speed up. (Unless there's been a recent snowfall of course.)

Good eye. I almost never spot animals unless they're pretty much in my face.

Sometimes I get lucky. Other times, I miss stuff right in front of me. Depends on the day.

Nice shot of him. (And of the other two, later on, as well.)

Thanks!

Wow.
I mean... what more can you say? Wow!

::yes:: But wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.

The bus driver pointed it out to us, just for the perspective.

Shouldn't laugh but... poor Julie!

I'm glad you could laugh. I wasn't allowed to.

Not that it stopped me, but whatever.

Alaska is big.

Man... stunning. Seriously.

Agreed.

Caribou I have seen... but nowhere near that close. They were a long way off.
And seen them close up... but in captivity again.

We did zoom in a bit for the photo, but they were right there.

I'd say even without the moose at the end, that was pretty darned successful!

We did really well! Very satisfied.

Betcha Drew liked that... and betting the rest of the family found it pretty cool too!

They're neat to hold and realize how heavy they are for the sheep to be carrying around on top of their heads. They must have serious neck muscles.

Nice! I'd say that was a win for sure!

I was thrilled just to see any part of the mountain!

45 minutes in the restroom? Wow. When you have to go, you have to GO

:rotfl2::rotfl2:Ok, you got me on that one.

Well, poop. There goes my chance for a win.

That one was too easy.

Actually... not all that surprised. In the North, you just don't leave people stranded.
Stranded people... die.

Yep...and they have.

Dude... I totally get it. I mean... these photos are stunning. I can't even imagine what they're like in real life!
I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do on my cruise, but... you sure are making me look even more forward to it!

When is the cruise? Will you get to explore inland at all?

So... question.
When you embarked on this journey... did you think you'd see all the animals you did?

More like we saw all that we'd hoped to see. We've heard many stories of visitors seeing wildlife all over the place, but it's never a guarantee until it actually happens. We were blessed on our travels, for sure.

Yep. Relegated to the bench. That's us.

:rolleyes1

Most of us prefer it that way.

Well... shoot. Must admit... that meal does look a little... pre-chewed.

Not the most flattering photo, but it didn't matter. It just wasn't a very good steak. Should have gone with the fried chicken sammie.

Now that looks great!!

It was a big improvement!

100% not bored, but... sure!

Well, I'm glad you're not bored yet!

Now that is a very profound statement.
I just put your entire department at risk for down-sizing.
There is! It's only for 4-day window in September. Otherwise access is limited to the buses and tour operators. Looks like they cancelled it this year due to a landslide on the road.
4 days!!! Holy cow!
Whoa, let's not get carried away here.
Whoops! Sorry.
Yeah...hope you don't have any other plans.
:sad2:
Are we that predictable?
'
I prefer... dependable.
I'm glad you could laugh. I wasn't allowed to.

Not that it stopped me, but whatever.
:lmao:
We did zoom in a bit for the photo, but they were right there.
That's okay. I expected that.
They're neat to hold and realize how heavy they are for the sheep to be carrying around on top of their heads. They must have serious neck muscles.
Or serious headaches.
When is the cruise? Will you get to explore inland at all?
It's Sep 3, I believe. There are onshore excursions, but I haven't really delved into them very much yet.
And... that's not easy. Do I go kayaking... or go overland via jeep? Or explore the town? Time is limited, so... tough calls ahead.
More like we saw all that we'd hoped to see. We've heard many stories of visitors seeing wildlife all over the place, but it's never a guarantee until it actually happens. We were blessed on our travels, for sure.
Good answer. :)
Most of us prefer it that way.
Well, I'm glad you're not bored yet!
Not even close. :)

Hi :wave2:

Sorry I've been MIA again. It's the usual excuses, a gas leak in town, flat tire......oh....wait, no, those are the Amtrak excuses for why the train is stopped. Hang on.

*Flips through notes*

Ah, here we are. Busy time at work, parenting a toddler. Those sound more like it.

I did binge the entire TR so far tonight, and as usual I loved every word. I'd love to see a bear in the wild, but so far I've only ever seen them in zoos or wildlife parks.

Can't wait to see how the rest of the trip goes! So far Eleanor has visited 4 states in 2 years, so we've got a ways to go before we reach Oblivious Family status, but I've got some plans...

We had that problem on our road trip to Arizona and Utah. Turns out the Indian Nation has a completely different cell service than the rest of America, so no service on Indian lands....where we spent a lot of time.

Good to know! I didn't realize it was an issue there, either.

Which is why Fran always makes me go to AAA and get the maps where we plan to drive.

I always pick them up too. Nice to have a backup plan. Plus, I love maps.

Really! Maybe they have some kind of superpower guarding it.

I think it's mostly the power of Alaska being hard to get to.

That would be good since I believe that largest earthquake on record happened up there.

Really? That I did not know.

Oh, so no big deal? :duck:

Well, it's not my car!

Of course not.....

I detect a note of frustration here.

I can see why that one would appeal to you. :laughing:

It's just my sophisticated sense of humor.

Ewww.....but I guess it was a super buffet to him!

I had no idea that squirrels would snack on insects. I thought they were just into nuts and acorns and stuff. :confused3

Duly noted, though I doubt we will every make it there.

Well, what kind of attitude is that? :laughing:

Interesting combination, but I see where it could be tasty!

Dave is kind of a sucker for crab meat.

I would have been disappointed too, but had the sense not to order it and avert the crisis! :lmao:

:rotfl2:You and me both! I wasn't sure what she was thinking with that one.

I completely understand this, when you a promised one thing and another is substituted or misrepresented it's not nice.

Soooo disappointing.

Even though you tried to make it as basic as possible, I still really did not understand a bit of this sports metaphor. :sad2:

:laughing: Well, thanks for reading it anyway. Basically, I was expecting something special and I got something mediocre.

Best not to chance that one for sure.

Not after all the time and money to get there!

I've seen what can go wrong in Ecuador on a road much like this one, but steeper. It didn't end well, unfortunately. :(

:scared:

AND, (and I already had my comment in my head BEFORE I got to the end!) you have a better chance of place not being sold out of pie at the end of the day!

This is an extremely important consideration in all of my meals.

Hey kids, stay in school. This is what prison buses look like.

:laughing: It wasn't that bad on the inside.

I see PB&Js in your near future (also called this one before the end of the update!)

Yeah, but that was an easy one.

I know this feeling. Hyperventilating is also part of this scenario.

I'm not allowed to, being an engineer. It would be like betraying my profession.

Is that a Grizzly? Looks like it with the "hump"?

Maybe? I'm not an expert. But it could very well be.

You are taking all the fun out of this!

Hey, it's what I do best! That's what my kids tell me.

KNEW IT!!!! 100% called this!

I'd send you some as a prize, but we ate it already.

I just put your entire department at risk for down-sizing.

We're the government. You can't get rid of us!

4 days!!! Holy cow!

I imagine they're pretty scared about private vehicles driving near some of those cliffs!

I prefer... dependable.

I like that. Sounds much better.

It's Sep 3, I believe. There are onshore excursions, but I haven't really delved into them very much yet.
And... that's not easy. Do I go kayaking... or go overland via jeep? Or explore the town? Time is limited, so... tough calls ahead.

Yeah, I can understand that. And so many excursions are so expensive! I think when I was researching them, I found some 3rd-party operators not affiliated with the cruise lines who offered better deals.

Will you get to explore the mainland at all? Denali, etc?

Hi :wave2:

Sorry I've been MIA again. It's the usual excuses, a gas leak in town, flat tire......oh....wait, no, those are the Amtrak excuses for why the train is stopped. Hang on.

*Flips through notes*

Ah, here we are. Busy time at work, parenting a toddler. Those sound more like it.

HI Annie! Welcome back!

Believe me, I know how it goes. My own DIS time has been more limited lately, too. So my updates and responses are coming much, much slower. It happens. Parenting a toddler should basically be a get-out-of-jail-free card for anything.

I did binge the entire TR so far tonight, and as usual I loved every word. I'd love to see a bear in the wild, but so far I've only ever seen them in zoos or wildlife parks.

Why would you do that? You must have been bored to tears.

The only other place I saw a bear in the wild was in Great Smoky Mountains NP. I've had good luck there.

Can't wait to see how the rest of the trip goes! So far Eleanor has visited 4 states in 2 years, so we've got a ways to go before we reach Oblivious Family status, but I've got some plans...

Hey, it's a start! We really didn't start counting with our kids until my daughter was 9.

We're the government. You can't get rid of us!
This is true. Probably have a few more shovel-leaners coming along soon.
I imagine they're pretty scared about private vehicles driving near some of those cliffs!
Nah. Just the retrieval of said vehicles.
Yeah, I can understand that. And so many excursions are so expensive! I think when I was researching them, I found some 3rd-party operators not affiliated with the cruise lines who offered better deals.
I've already noticed one. Interested in a self-guided jeep tour. Cruise has it for 4 hours, but another company (with 5-star reviews) lets you have the jeep for up to 8 hours. Probably will book that one.
Will you get to explore the mainland at all? Denali, etc?
Unfortunately not. Only a quick 8 day cruise up the coast and back.

This is true. Probably have a few more shovel-leaners coming along soon.

Well, you can never have too many of those.

Nah. Just the retrieval of said vehicles.

That has to be a terrible job.

I've already noticed one. Interested in a self-guided jeep tour. Cruise has it for 4 hours, but another company (with 5-star reviews) lets you have the jeep for up to 8 hours. Probably will book that one.

Cool. I think I was most interested in the train ride out of Skagway. That looked fun.

Unfortunately not. Only a quick 8 day cruise up the coast and back.

It will still be spectacular. I'd go back to Glacier Bay in a heartbeat.

That has to be a terrible job.
All kidding aside... yes I would think it would be.
Cool. I think I was most interested in the train ride out of Skagway. That looked fun.
One I'm planning on doing.
It will still be spectacular. I'd go back to Glacier Bay in a heartbeat.
And that was one that was troublesome for me. I saw a kayaking tour that looked cool. Then I read two reviews.
#1. "Great tour!"

But #2... "It was windy and we struggled the whole way. By the time we got within sight (not anywhere as close as we were supposed to get) of the glacier, we had to turn around.

That put me off that idea, right away.

One I'm planning on doing.

Sweet. I'm sorry I didn't get to go on that one.

And that was one that was troublesome for me. I saw a kayaking tour that looked cool. Then I read two reviews.
#1. "Great tour!"

But #2... "It was windy and we struggled the whole way. By the time we got within sight (not anywhere as close as we were supposed to get) of the glacier, we had to turn around.

That put me off that idea, right away.

Hmm...yeah, that would definitely damper my enthusiasm.

Chapter 8: Going To The Dogs

It was time for a rest day. We’d been going hard the last few days, alternating between making long drives on bumpy, sometimes-paved roads in the middle of nowhere and paying someone else to take us on a bus on a long, bumpy, sometimes-paved road in the middle of nowhere.

So we slept in all the way till, I dunno, 7 a.m. or so. The teens probably slept longer but Julie and I are just physically incapable of sleeping in anymore. I don’t know when exactly you lose that ability, but I think it’s somewhere between the 79th and 127th iterations of your little kid bursting into your room at 6 a.m. on a Saturday to demand your passcode so they can play unsupervised games on the iPad.

Anyway, we eventually got up and ate our pop tarts, but we decided we needed an improvement over the crappy hotel room coffee, so we drove into the tourist trap area outside the park gates and stopped at a coffee shop there. I knew I was in trouble right away when one of the baristas started giving me crap for my Philadelphia Eagles cap. So I asked him what his team was, and added, “Don’t tell me…Dallas?” Then I went to my standard defense, which is a version of this meme:

ECYUB2ObtHt7D539PBq40uIdaCpIS8Tgmi60H7h2zMDoR2eTTGIDR58M8vKAPnuPhmgb6Awh00NAelMUJ09m7Qx16MJCS_uONkIzyL_wRr6PD3DVSywcuoUuF48RGeaU6yYLJYFhXki9fE5V8AAfzo0zWpRRwdcmvgfj79PFzwLaLi7MJ_Q5FOtKUwR1-em8N_QsBMmUe2anGxhJFOacUByeGD-Gdw5bSuwqXloPAUAYW2gxaRkEQnf-3G_vUJm5Zw_WFaU_au9R28AyW94IhBCzdX4wbW-0F2ENytKXjy8Unm51omdPr6IJPpWtBAduyrSkOCXPbWGOVHOAFmvQjV3nJ0XhfQ9tJBusAzQ7z5CT5V1aIiop8sXra3Cr3boLvNF4bz2dqFTZQIigA8ereBgGoiXLwqBcAEdmk6b3EwymMOZW3Cm60r7E8t9Sx-AapCxkyYXf89jNzzcMGKfCrl0TsD4WdhorV7eCoA3thHFtQoZPoaeJVHzxYno-4rTlsAoUjP--looJWtH3TvONaEIIBK76W8tUpePtMyGiZL7ZxFHNOsKw3og6uh_0ofMHhGpxecrzo6DL2jS4oae1qNZvlRmfwvTtobuiHOQO2-20u2v6MvTnIDvaac6coejf0kPpwBS4cTVUhQdeP7gtUEl1IJt4e2pP9qlqsS4K2h11PhlNtSQBsBXHfyXytw7GU9FFQbkO_SnIzMXmiRWh0cs=w300-h250-no

(The joke being that most Cowboys fans are frontrunners who jumped on the bandwagon when they were winning championships in the distant past. They're all Yankees fans for the same reason.)

(Yes, I know what they say about having to explain a joke. Shut up.)

Of all the coffee shops in the world, I get the one managed by a Cowboys fan. Sigh. Most likely, this meant that they served their best coffee over 30 years ago but still wouldn’t be able to stop themselves from telling you how great it once was.

I’m kidding. Kind of. We actually had a good-natured back and forth and the coffee was pretty darn good. I don’t think the guy spit in it.

We drove back into Denali National Park and parked by the visitor center. Drew had a couple of items left to work on in his Junior Ranger book, so we knocked them out and then went on a short hike. It led down a hill and through the forest to a small bridge over Hines Creek, where we had a view of the railroad bridge crossing the same creek.

AM-JKLWvnRtaMuh4l5Fn74WMWyJwUeRnoIHRSrsazgFvPmn7cJ0FfKtoXFUOke_poBMbGQpKqu0C9B6kpeHtTED7VnkelPWTSHbvunVe37j75i-P22ELrMcYVvoQ2YrqNDteQp_LBWlufxFZQfmPjc4jMUa2og=w1545-h870-no

It was a pretty easy walk. Just enough to get some fresh air. As you can see, the kids were captivated.

AM-JKLVsA4S88QO4U-ojNeyP6vho7IwRW4pH5-MlNk7nRZ4orcxPm6Kw9PMQj-lZHDEjjVHktcfdC3sV1AJuVNrFp7_v1Ax74I9aMrqdMg_k45eVymPAIg21c6oHzBXJkXbCKGTVjY2Aj5o8dchnoJf91Re9kw=w1545-h870-no

The visitor center looked like a neat building. Too bad we weren’t allowed inside.

AM-JKLUttiPvtG6J3VNydDXfNuthUNfzh-arBL1qOh1OHHD9vp95o9ISFoL5PpezZ15jX6AO_5yxq8pwRqIEbiZKdaJ8rFyyiFesSbM4sUfCHcbNBltMNKlGaF9cKs3XLizsEV1CDE91YLSlsbqx9pv1vdJ_Ew=w1314-h876-no

Drew turned in his booklet and was once again sworn in to get his badge. Then we got back in the van and drove another mile or two up the park road to our final stop in the park: the Denali sled dog kennels.

In normal years, tourists are allowed to wander the kennels, pet the dogs, speak to the rangers who train them, and watch a sled dog demonstration. But in 2020, the entire area was closed to visitors completely due to the pandemic. I’d hoped we would get to visit in 2021, and…was mostly right. The kennel was open, but they were not holding any demonstrations because apparently COVID spreads faster when dogs are actively running or pulling a sled. I dunno.

In any case, it was certainly better than nothing. The path was set up in a U-shape, and we were told to enter at one end of the U, stay inside the ropes, and we could take as long as we liked as long as we moved in a clockwise direction. But we couldn’t turn around and go backwards due to the pandemic, because COVID spreads more easily if you walk counter-clockwise. We were welcome to pet the dogs if they were within reach. Some wanted more affection than others. This one was absolutely thrilled to be touched by a 7-year-old.

AM-JKLUdn9n4TR_BDS_HLuVDiLvEmkD-2cbx3KrWfmkqqWgOWBOCl0GO0BzR5XjDUYzCkJl6YEtdh2Cnsop9wlEsfaoGFTggHI8hHJvnCU-Z_lOU9IofkWcNyhlMkZ8effJVLGnDK3q6NeYOqT0WQw0WRneTIA=w1314-h876-no

This one, named Venture, seemed more into the idea. SUCH A GOOD DOG!

AM-JKLWwUuvU8wQJGK3EoCG9ZCIT0Te1_NueNbMCLVDVn-bOAe1acN53jepYNM7a8KHoMN_ItrHxJn8gMx5X2UFiyJY0xtHxBnLiYOe2csjHUjcie55TPOcqDoCARqUYQolKAEWfynaNgGO3E2YfpRMfS04CsQ=w1168-h877-no

Sorry, it’s hard not to go all *doggy voice* when there are so many adorable creatures around.

A few of the dogs were kept in pens rather than out in the open. I suppose they have their reaso—wait, what??

AM-JKLVyTVan06bD9cqDWZml5BZSkGLdc4YaItrQ9--TTARfYFt-peTSstEXccXLqXsz2I9sb2GguA3wItoeFwQOd9qV7xivUCUpglo76Zy_k8tatU76vSLs7HQoFco0AyBH9POUC9MK-Dk8a863VMq6Vq5uEg=w1168-h877-no

Ok, so maybe they’re not the smartest creatures around.

These two dogs were having themselves a tussle, while the others looked on in excitement.

AM-JKLV5AcMBQ6uKKDueLCo1-l3L2IaRvKMuVApt9qfU8A_md7Rv30FHWHWHDZIso-AJUh8_nJFAWjX5Q9N7j0Q2kf0Iph49aw63kgIxeh3AFNl7Rhpj21S74Otj1TnIKe4kVTaWCKWJV0Hi6AuQcIHh1EHeJg=w1314-h876-no

Topo, however, just wasn’t having any of it.

AM-JKLX-2RFiAhPAYXdpZEgabTltoKXYFktnIy5Aw22-9_ZwydV9Qm8UW125MpWOW2E-Pc4RFdxxBn8zghyFruBycPvfpeokGVD8aqYyIbxWLN2Jom-UNw-j285Ge_1euuaA6bO0q_n9Wsni-lDEqCsvWXVByg=w1168-h877-no

The one time all of the dogs showed noticeable excitement was when they all suddenly jumped up on top of their doghouses, seemingly all at once.

AM-JKLX--DpqRrk2cI1Q7OXhC4eS-fD0nLvSbMzkg_aP7yIp2LI9DBQlGA64MQIzNWbE9w3hETPox0EaffAjMO87nl0PnL-cyRrOPshJLnc35abrOSlzh6LZZO9AHvkHWLyRav8s8yHH61QgWKmU3us2V1dHTg=w1314-h876-no

AM-JKLUvzh5l8gsl9idOHeAatb03eehn3Ik8zrWyBOKm0BQlVGIyKHsgzOv4vlZlWRrRJQi7AkRMOxaXMqrWdJZK4xnDt2Bva_7TaTfeGseJ08rsv2A1PnvWqfsHQNU_lZcIekFd5RascrVEsnvXAdsuYOm9eg=w1314-h876-no

As it turned out, they were able to tell exactly when the rangers/volunteers had emerged from the shed carrying their morning meal.

Our favorite of the bunch was this beautiful creature, Behnti.

AM-JKLUrDS759UHJk3CtbgPQLlgwN_Ggbwng6xSKC-NiU6LglGEsiOCa5mTj9HBuQ9LEyfHYF78xTDJKklHn6U8BdpZ2jKoLjetySNBhmbxQqmOXojGqgz2owgK5KXC5exMhivlclWJHo-JM1anfFqQovlsVbw=w1168-h877-no

She was kind of a hot mess. At first, she was very happy to lounge by the ropes and have the kids love on her while she basked in their affection. But after the food was brought out, she got a burst of energy and was all over the place. She was starting wrestling matches with other dogs, and then when they lost interest, she decided to go treasure-hunting.

AM-JKLWWpCOWItB1qjstinLfWJQDktBBX1PieZ859cYTo4F1OVeUrgYptqXv5n27bInn94R-RdzHJUqh5e7-IpalBbpeuzJ7wN78Y2YtqB2L67kSsYqeRNSWVSNzLxyk3DaghVLbOYyiseBmvJNoDwOFMUbSdA=w1314-h876-no

She kept digging in this one spot until the volunteers tried to stop her and move her away. But Behnti watched them like a hawk, and no matter how much they guarded the spot or covered it back over with dirt, the second they got distracted she was all over it, digging a hole to China again. It provided an endless source of amusement for us.

She just looks like a stinker, doesn’t she?

AM-JKLW2wSfRmkytO8ufXkhjQX_MTL9w-C8EJLOEwuTK-pWszBgXC5TGLesq67A2KBUhHKw-VkquGmDPpjUMCjHDYSxIZTo-s81BCXB4GzJ2EmJZBswKMwzuENV9AA9RWR4DHSfE6ZLkDsIeoFg_91qJyVzipg=w1168-h877-no

Once we were finally able to tear everyone away from the sled dogs, we had our lunch and then drove a couple of hours down the road, turning onto a spur road that led us to the town of Talkeetna.

I’d read about Talkeetna in quite a few travel books/websites about Alaska. It was portrayed as a central hub of all sorts of activities for people visiting the Denali area—you could sign up for flightseeing, white water rafting, 4x4 tours, fishing expeditions, etc. But when we got there, I think we all wondered what all the hubbub was about. It’s basically a tiny one-street town. There’s a few shops and restaurants and…that’s about it.

AM-JKLWxBtgURWbU6b62TZCT_97vMI_p0AZnVKJevpkUWrG-k8Jj-bb435jwbKWU1ZI9FR5oy9GCb8Rp6_wwBuQmq84NWIUCSK5U_inNVCh1s5QhHjSZaY1z_vkJfI9RsPPlqNfP-yVeIxTHSZ2Gb4s37bfRyw=w1168-h877-no

It didn’t take nearly as much time as I though it would to wander and explore the town. We found a Denali park office and thought about checking out the exhibits inside, but once again it was closed due to COVID requirements.

At least the hotel was nice. I’d found the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge through the Pursuit Alaska travel site, one which offers a variety of tours and lodges for visitors. The key discovery was that they held a Black Friday sale in which all of their tours and lodges were 40% off regular prices, so I’d booked a few items on the day after Thanksgiving. This hotel was one of them, and it was an attractive place to stay—sort of a Wilderness Lodge-lite.

AM-JKLXJc-JRtW4srVUVnsiO8Z9ruP4VuuopBDpg4_eiN7nSBSPduICtmZfcABaet2M2pAG7zS1LUzPIkJeagGRWzuVoW-sHapaMJrHerdjA8wQCPKBzfLXn_qeULr2eihezHXwxbKzcRW7Y80Nhu3XwrzaKAg=w1168-h877-no

AM-JKLU02E82rBkVudXUjQWKrYIX8bd8Cgd5LUHcE3iZ0bq1XGRGS_H9jciTp_hYX-rxvSHFzeoLQFMaLz1SH1r3MnujJad3DR9-mUVFUHmh4pXZjIO-wPSTxXU_V-vaDIE2tAUZ7URoVPKSWrIkdSvb3ZcBLg=w1168-h877-no

AM-JKLXJ-8a4NQdklzRUVKMLcxrrPC26UFQeWOSSTO6mWbbqG8ePnwnGeOCY0izhMdjpOnQ1Qs7TQ6IwAt60KxJVSRP2vSDMhyf2lS_n8VeGmOtx6wsnL-BANe8xEfeOoIIE2EoUh_CG1WxBA77bc08HofEhjQ=w1168-h877-no

There was the obligatory lobby with the tall fireplace:

AM-JKLWKdngKuzDGDu1e1p8iFmbdMAHYvLabp7aJKXo9COK9j3y23PwH6OG1o7zNrINs7gitu2T4JZmx7LhZO5O3suAL2YqpfIfiGSBdzVe51-dF2bncDtekNA9M_h9WZJWa-HrukobWEGS5mvM5BWwaIW7JmQ=w1168-h877-no

And a patio out back where you could get a view of Denali and the Alaska Range. Or, at least I’m assuming 30% of visitors could.

AM-JKLX77fkivcsSVw6s0OJGncs0v2npkS2Cc_xzxraY-k4TTdFsTtTNwwOnh_WAR-__ZpZSGcpP9OENSSRAzNlGoWO48isQ2KIK6Mx00i_cUODzhlxeWmtEUzcmDDgxTGpmt-DzTfs0zqQ1SJP7jb4c10y8Tg=w1168-h877-no

AM-JKLVxlvFseHHSxw5O-ZL6Wmnc6aQWI0dMDKPZky5KW0fsKo_MV-kz2oQMGxmlTgFWcIFY7Vc3EqcajcSKHBL_k4-xuotLuxKDkXmzfDsVFANBLQ4OOiMFdnJSTXdnUgijnxW8H6doHkrpFHoQnB5_dSslwQ=w1168-h877-no

Staying here had been part of my grand plan to maximize our chances of seeing Denali, in case we hadn’t been able to see the mountain the day before on our park tour. As it turned out, we’d been fortunate earlier in the week. Which, of course, I was very thankful for.

We relaxed a bit in the lodge and wandered the grounds before heading to town for dinner. It was somewhat crowded given the relatively few options, but somehow we lucked into a table for 6 just as another large group was leaving at the Denali Brewpub.

AM-JKLWqYuOvYnBm1cUZXoCl0lOpohtR1crfCujSpsLTI4iXY3I_tSl3RSVD8aJGYpboeOvMl4jy6rZW4HVZaV1myyl0Hjlx2hQWnY9Oj7BjYSIp3pIa_CXVBpypwqD2FMMltdT9XWW_p_sfz3rlPqxHcxe6tg=w1168-h877-no

We got off to a bit of a rough start as the server rattled off a couple of items that they were already out of for the day. But we just worried about the things that were under our control, and I zeroed in on the Pretzel Dip sandwich—basically a French Dip in a pretzel roll.

AM-JKLXplCq7aVzDMw_-xOgiL5dk9MeMeQWYsk_jfYgiAt5Q3uw_rxFUfRf0Xs51vGCRzOS_lZKlPBl5BrYiFlC7fTdVuV46a85RHyu6Rz3x_0WYmiSIn0ZxJs7CNWCNqhmJHzVxhL9S4PGru2lY9VFL-TKdtw=w1168-h877-no

Oh man, that was good. The beer I tried wasn’t all that great, so that was a bit of a bummer. But I think that was just my poor choice. I'm sure if I tried some of the other options, I could have found one I liked more. Anyway, the food made the meal a winner.

Except at the end, when we tried to order another peanut butter pie and were told they were out.

So we took the L on that one and went back for some rest. We’d be back on the road in the morning.

Coming Up Next: Some fog, some rain, some ice, some sun, and then we stumble into a race.

Last edited:
Aw, but then I'd have to actually read it. I'll look forward to it! :thumbsup2
:laughing:

Hey!
It was time for a rest day.
What is this "rest" you speak of? What arcane mysteries doth it entail?

That may be the first "doth" I've used in a sentence. Usually, it's more "d'oh!" than "doth".
We’d been going hard the last few days, alternating between making long drives on bumpy, sometimes-paved roads in the middle of nowhere and paying someone else to take us on a bus on a long, bumpy, sometimes-paved road in the middle of nowhere.
I was just telling my manager how my DW almost died on one of those fun-filled northern roads.
So we slept in all the way till, I dunno, 7 a.m. or so.
oooooohhh... nice.
I don’t know when exactly you lose that ability, but I think it’s somewhere between the 79th and 127th iterations of your little kid bursting into your room at 6 a.m. on a Saturday to demand your passcode so they can play unsupervised games on the iPad.
And yes. Exactly then.
So I asked him what his team was, and added, “Don’t tell me…Dallas?” Then I went to my standard defense, which is a version of this meme:
Well... I don't live in the US, so I can't have a favourite team?
(The joke being that most Cowboys fans are frontrunners who jumped on the bandwagon when they were winning championships in the distant past. They're all Yankees fans for the same reason.)
Yeah, yeah. We get it. Ya know, if you have to explain a joke... Oh. Never mind. See you already covered that.

Actually... I would think Bears fans are similar? "Da Bears!"

Anyways... You're just jealous since they're leading the NFC East right now. How 'dem Eagles doing? :duck:
Most likely, this meant that they served their best coffee over 30 years ago but still wouldn’t be able to stop themselves from telling you how great it once was.
Cool shot. :thumbsup2
As you can see, the kids were captivated.
Wait... you tied them to the railings??????

I'm okay with that. I have kids. Just curious.
The visitor center looked like a neat building. Too bad we weren’t allowed inside.
:headache:
COVID spreads faster when dogs are actively running or pulling a sled. I dunno.
Absolutely. Even faster in a moving vehicle. Why you have to wear masks on an airplane.

:rolleyes1
COVID spreads more easily if you walk counter-clockwise.
That's due to the Earth's rotation, ya know.
We were welcome to pet the dogs if they were within reach.
But not too fast. Don't want to accelerate the virus too much.
This one was absolutely thrilled to be touched by a 7-year-old.
Looks totally thrilled.
"If one more kid smacks me on the head, I'm gonna lose it!"
Sorry, it’s hard not to go all *doggy voice* when there are so many adorable creatures around.
Ok, so maybe they’re not the smartest creatures around.
Dunno. Sounds like some of them are rock scientists.
Topo, however, just wasn’t having any of it.

AM-JKLX-2RFiAhPAYXdpZEgabTltoKXYFktnIy5Aw22-9_ZwydV9Qm8UW125MpWOW2E-Pc4RFdxxBn8zghyFruBycPvfpeokGVD8aqYyIbxWLN2Jom-UNw-j285Ge_1euuaA6bO0q_n9Wsni-lDEqCsvWXVByg=w1168-h877-no
:rotfl:
The one time all of the dogs showed noticeable excitement was when they all suddenly jumped up on top of their doghouses, seemingly all at once.
I bet for food...
As it turned out, they were able to tell exactly when the rangers/volunteers had emerged from the shed carrying their morning meal.
Called it.
So.... no dog demonstrations because of covid... but not social distancing and not wearing a mask when doing that is completely fine.

:rolleyes:
She just looks like a stinker, doesn’t she?
But when we got there, I think we all wondered what all the hubbub was about. It’s basically a tiny one-street town. There’s a few shops and restaurants and…that’s about it.
Well... that's probably about 99% of small, northern towns.
This hotel was one of them, and it was an attractive place to stay—sort of a Wilderness Lodge-lite.
Really nice! Eye catching.
And a patio out back where you could get a view of Denali and the Alaska Range. Or, at least I’m assuming 30% of visitors could.
They have a lottery each morning to pick who will be allowed to see it.
Staying here had been part of my grand plan to maximize our chances of seeing Denali, in case we hadn’t been able to see the mountain the day before on our park tour. As it turned out, we’d been fortunate earlier in the week. Which, of course, I was very thankful for.
Actually... that's really smart.

How did you think of that?
the Pretzel Dip sandwich—basically a French Dip in a pretzel roll.
Dang! Want.
Except at the end, when we tried to order another peanut butter pie and were told they were out.
:eek:

Noooooooo

Given my other choices were to either pay lots of money or risk the long odds of winning, I made reservations for the shuttle bus several months in advance, as soon as I had a good idea of our travel dates. They do sell some tickets on the day of the tour, but I wasn’t going to take any chances of being shut out for the one day we were there.

Sounds like you took the best route for your family. Knowing Fran we would end up paying the small fortune to a tour company so that she could ensure they would be able to accommodate her scooter.

This involved riding in a glorified school bus for 66 miles (one-way) along a rickety dirt road cut high into the side of mountains with no guardrail and barely enough room to pass any other buses coming the other direction. What could go wrong?

Yikes! 66 miles each way, that sounds pretty harrowing!

The park does offer a narrated tour bus in addition to the regular shuttle like the one we took. The tour bus is much more expensive, but you’re paying for a guide to narrate the entire journey, giving you the history of the park as well as all sorts of information on the wildlife, plant life, and geology of Denali.

My advice: save the money and take the regular “transit” shuttle. The bus driver had her own microphone and happily narrated the whole trip for us anyway.

Yeah, I'm not sure you want to hear someone yammering on and on while you're trying to look out for wildlife.

Just around the bend we reached the official overlook, where we got to take in the view. I thought it was gorgeous.

Definitely gorgeous!

You can’t really tell, but it was extremely windy up there too, which made it feel very cold. We didn’t stay outside long. Just long enough to hike up a ridge for another photo.

What strikes me about this photo is just how tall your boys are now!

The Eielson Visitor Center is at mile 66 of the Denali Highway, and is a pretty cool building. It’s built right into the mountainside.

Looks pretty cool, and definitely far in there!

Unfortunately, the only part we were allowed to see due to COVID was the restroom.

:headache:

no points for guessing the menu

I let the waiter talk me into ordering the steak frites, which you would think would be a good call, but it ended up being my least favorite meal of the trip.

I see that as a stretch for you only because it's a fancy French sort of meal, except when it's a fancy French meal the steak is tender and yummy. not tough. Glad the dessert was redeeming.

Many of our national parks are in remote areas, which are hard to reach and involve long hours of traveling in order to see them.

Except if you're going to Ventura.... :rolleyes1 Then again there is a boat ride involved.

It was time for a rest day. We’d been going hard the last few days, alternating between making long drives on bumpy, sometimes-paved roads in the middle of nowhere and paying someone else to take us on a bus on a long, bumpy, sometimes-paved road in the middle of nowhere.

So we slept in all the way till, I dunno, 7 a.m. or so.

I don't know how you all keep up the pace. I suppose your everyday life it pretty hectic so vacations aren't too hard to keep up the pace.

I usually wake up in the 6AM hour, but I don't get upright until around 7AM and then I sit in bed playing tablet games until 9AM or later before I get up to feed the cats and make coffee....

I don’t know when exactly you lose that ability, but I think it’s somewhere between the 79th and 127th iterations of your little kid bursting into your room at 6 a.m. on a Saturday to demand your passcode so they can play unsupervised games on the iPad.

No kids, and the cats have given up on trying to get us to feed them, so see above comment.

sort of a Wilderness Lodge-lite.

Looks nice!

Oh man, that was good.

i'm glad you at least enjoyed this dinner!

Yay! I'm caught up here.

What is this "rest" you speak of? What arcane mysteries doth it entail?

That may be the first "doth" I've used in a sentence. Usually, it's more "d'oh!" than "doth".

"Rest" is most assuredly a relative term. I suspect you know that better than me!

And if your writing is more Simpsons than Shakespeare, I would have to say I'm standing there with you. Although the Simpsons have some excellent writing themselves!

was just telling my manager how my DW almost died on one of those fun-filled northern roads.

Ooh, this sounds like a good story.

oooooohhh... nice.

Yep, livin' the dream here.

And yes. Exactly then.

I knew it! These kids are slowly killing me.

Well... I don't live in the US, so I can't have a favourite team?

I was talking with a friend about this, and we tried to come up with some rules for fandom. Basically, if you have a local professional sports team, that's your team. It's traitorous to cheer for a team other than your hometown's team. The exceptions are:

1. You live in a region with no local team. Then you get to choose.
2. Your father/mother or both parents are die-hard fans of a team and raised you that way, so you never had a choice in the matter.
3. Your local team is egregiously inept (i.e. decades of losing) or hires someone in a prominent position who is an irredeemably awful human being. Then you are freed from your obligations for that team.

Yeah, yeah. We get it. Ya know, if you have to explain a joke... Oh. Never mind. See you already covered that.

Actually... I would think Bears fans are similar? "Da Bears!"

I don't think da Bears have as many bandwagon fans as Dallas. But then again, they never declared themselves "America's Team", either.

Anyways... You're just jealous since they're leading the NFC East right now. How 'dem Eagles doing? :duck:

Quiet, you.

Cool shot. :thumbsup2

Thanks!

Wait... you tied them to the railings??????

I'm okay with that. I have kids. Just curious.

If you think about it, we as parents basically kidnap our kids and force them to go on all these trips. It's not like they really have a choice in the matter.

Absolutely. Even faster in a moving vehicle. Why you have to wear masks on an airplane.

Makes total sense. Who knows where the virus will go when you add it to a jet engine?

That's due to the Earth's rotation, ya know.

Ah, gotcha. So it's probably affected by the tides and phases of the moon as well.

But not too fast. Don't want to accelerate the virus too much.

Hence the avoidance of jet engines.

Looks totally thrilled.

Fine. Pat me on the head. See if I care.

"If one more kid smacks me on the head, I'm gonna lose it!"

I'm just killing time till the food lady comes out, anyway.

Dunno. Sounds like some of them are rock scientists.

Amazing what a difference two little letters can make.

I bet for food...

Called it.

They're no dummies, that's for sure.

So.... no dog demonstrations because of covid... but not social distancing and not wearing a mask when doing that is completely fine.

Exactly. You're not suggesting this is completely arbitrary, are you?

Well... that's probably about 99% of small, northern towns.

Fair point. It seemed to me like most of the tour companies are loosely based in the area. I think there's less of a commercial center in the town as it's just a convenient spot for people to meet up before touring, camping, fishing, or whatever.

Really nice! Eye catching.

Better than your run-of-the-mill Comfort Inn, for sure.

They have a lottery each morning to pick who will be allowed to see it.

I can't believe I would ever lose a lottery.

Actually... that's really smart.

How did you think of that?

Every once in a while, a blind squirrel finds a nut.

I had read about the 30% statistic ahead of time, so I just wanted to maximize our chances. I figured this would give us 3 days in a row to see the mountain: our bus tour, then the arrival at the lodge, and then the morning after. But of course, when we saw it was clear on our first day, we took off for the viewpoint anyway, knowing it might not be that clear again for the rest of the week. Turns out we were right!

Dang! Want.

I wouldn't mind another one!

:eek:

Noooooooo

Sigh....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter